/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: .jpg (1811x2400, 242K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/sex/comments/7o9m9p/scared_to_ask_my_girlfriend_of_8_months_to_peg_me/
reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/6estsu/me_19m_and_a_26f_coworker_fell_for_each_other/
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/83hqhs/bought_x230_with_cracks_repaired_my_way/
libreboot.org/docs/install/#flashrom_lenovobios
download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get a Lenovo Thinkpad X230 for around $150. Max out the memory to 16GB. Flash the bios with Coreboot and disable everything not needed. Remove the mic, speakers, wireless card, antennas, and webcam. Remove the HD or put a decoy OS on it like Windows. Put the boot partition on a microSD card and run Qubes/Whonix off of a fast USB stick. Use a power cord instead of a battery so you can yank it out to shut the system down in an emergency. Connect it to a travel router running OpenWRT and connected to either a prepaid 4G dongle or a yagi antenna. Encrypt everything everywhere to Hell and back. Use passwords that are at least 64 characters that are a mix of upper and lower case, numbers, and special characters. Use a YubiKey anywhere you can. Get a Nextcloud account somewhere and use it combined with Cryptomator to keep sensitive things in the cloud. That way if your laptop gets seized you can give up your password to decrypt the laptop and nothing will be found.

What is the best 9 cell battery I can buy for the T520?

that looks aesthetic desu

Why are redditors such cucks?

reddit.com/r/sex/comments/7o9m9p/scared_to_ask_my_girlfriend_of_8_months_to_peg_me/

reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/6estsu/me_19m_and_a_26f_coworker_fell_for_each_other/

Attached: hq72adN.jpg (716x955, 99K)

I don't know. Why are you on reddit?
Also what does this have to do with thinkpads.

what the fuck is up with the reddit flood recently

>implying Jow Forums isn't reddit

X201 cutest thinkpad

Attached: 1551692915619897.jpg (1740x2320, 2.79M)

>recently
Its been constant for like 4 years, worst part is they all start shitting on anime or complaining about lolis.
>go back to your containment board

I am so happy to now be part of the Thinkpad masterrace. I got an almost mint 4th gen X1 on ebay and I couldn't be happier. I mainly bought it because my barely two year old supposed-midrange HP laptop is literally falling apart as we are speaking. It was only my third laptop (and the previous ones don't really count), so I was naive and just looked at specs, no care in the world for product line reputation or build quality. This experience desillusioned me pretty much and opened my eyes to this business. They can afford to bring out products that break within 2 years of standard usage. Why? Because they market to people a bit more literate than those who buy supermarket-brand laptops, but who just care about numbers or having the newest shiny shit, never actual quality. So it breaks soon? Doesn't matter, consumer drone, there's a new model already with 5% better specs out anyway, so you can browse the web even harder! Convenielty, because most companies don't sell last year's model, you will never read bad reviews concering longevity issues on Amazon either.

>Thinkpad masterrace
>masterrace
>x1

Attached: 5aa1db52c58226a2f362e685ce0f0edbc53de54e3f9e7801771ae689269c20e9.jpg (1137x640, 33K)

I guess ignorance is bliss then

You're both cancer.

Yeah it's not the old brick, but it still feels sturdy and the lightness is refreshing. My old one felt twice as heavy. Battery can still be removed, you just have to unscrew the bottom.

nothing wrong with X1 if you're ok with the compromises

>Battery can still be removed, you just have to unscrew the bottom.
you can do that with every device that has a battery

i'm more taking the piss out of the master race statement it's pure cringe

I know right? I use it ironically whenever I get the chance. Which is why I did.

Literally why not just buy any other laptop at that point? It's just a black MacBook with windows and a nipple, goes against the whole point of buying used hardware like this which is to get around meme hardware gimmicks. New ThinkPads are worse than old besides specs but x1 shouldn't even be a thinkpad.

theyre still decent machines compared to other modern laptops

Attached: 2_bbsonvedxq.jpg (715x1000, 149K)

Not really, yeah maybe compared to a low end laptop but compared to something of the same class it's the same shit (high end consumer grade).

it's another delusional classic fag who hates everything because it's new, X1 is about compromises and clearly isn't for you but imagine there are people that are not you on the market

The future is here and it is cyberpunk.

only thing bad about them is probably the screen even the new thinkpads still have great build quality and strong hinges, the keyboards are probably the best chiclet ive used

I have a t450 my man, I'm just saying those designs despite removing some good features still follow the entire design philosophy much more closely.
Cool, still closer to something like the LG gram than an actual thinkpad, get out of my thread!

i dont own one fag i've got 6 old thinkpads. I'm just saying that as far as modern laptops go they are still pretty good machines

He literally opened his post with
>finally apart of the thinkpad master race
When he didn't join it, he got a high end consumer shit model that has nothing to do with ThinkPads besides branding broski

i'm a different user i even posted my x201 above

X1 Carbon with i5-5300U, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 1440p screen for 400€
is it a good deal?

Just picked up an i7 1080p x250 for $300

Should I spend another $90 on a 6cell external? Should I spend $160 on a 16GB RAM stick? Which is a better investment?

probably ram depends what the current battery it has is like though

dont bother upgrading that thing. dual cores are becoming obsolete.
a new batter helps tho. you should weigh it yourself if its worth it.

>dual cores are becoming obsolete.
why are you in this thread?

>needing more than 8GB RAM
are you compiling in MacOS in virtual box on windows?

having standards is not allowed?

is x230 enough for weeb development?

Yes

the only thing that matters is resolution and battery life. being quadcore helps neither, and probably actually hurts battery life

You can find the 16gb dimm much cheaper than $160. Check Ebay.

Depends on usage, but this. Modern computing has come far enough that old tech is good enough for most stuff now. If you're doing hardcore CAD or similar, you need a desktop anyway. So that leaves convenience (battery) and user experience (screen).

>he only has 10 browser tabs open

can confirm, it really is

Is it possible to arrange battery usage for multiple batteries on Windows or is that hardware/BIOS dependent?

I got a convertible with a battery on the keyboard dock and another in the tablet. By default it drains the dock to 5% before switching to tablet power. I want to preserve the dock battery health since it's more expensive and harder to find, but Power Options treat both batteries as 1.

Why would you need more? Are you aytistic? Perhaps you are storing piss bottles?

I'd rather let the botnet lodge itself in my ass than do all this bullshit

So I already have a T520 but it's a bit bulky to carry around to college and by coincidence, my mom's work is letting her keep her old T420.

However my T520 is well-specced (1920x1080 Wide Gamut, i7-2720QM, 8GB DDR3 1600) and hers slightly less so (1600x900, i5-2410M, 3GB DDR3 1333, NVS4200M 1GB) so I was wondering whether is it worth it to upgrade the T420 to a 3rd gen Quad and a 1080p/1440p display?

Sell both and get a Surface Pro 3 if you hate bulkiness so much

OR should I just sell both of those and get a W530, classic KB swap it and call it a day? It's like 0.5cm thinner and has a much better GPU (K2000M 2GB) which I need for 4K60 output and some low level games like CS:GO at 1024x768.

I don't need a tablet but saying the T520 is meant to be hauled around every day is just lying.

Attached: IMG_20190227_222437.jpg (1280x720, 564K)

just counted, i have 48 tabs open in firefox. my RAM use is currently at 1.8GB. I have 6GB RAM total.

what bloated fucking setup are you running?

how is it possibly cuter than the s version

what are those mods for? just structural enhancement?
why do we care about this guy? does he post here or something?
I wish I had one :(
you can transfer over the CPU and the RAM; FHDmod is difficult on T420 though

>what are those mods for? just structural enhancement?
not OP and i dont know but i noticed that they are placed exactly where my thinkpads have broken

>virtualbox
Fucking pleb. Use Qemu/KVM and do PCI passthrough with eGPU.

I already have vbox set up to use kvm and have it ran by primusrun, so it's going to the gpu anyways.

Attached: IMG_20190226_221812.jpg (1280x720, 537K)

Guys is E480 good? Can I mod it?

I usually have like 2-300 tabs open

Attached: 5ffd646e128a95c2532c302f06ce995d8c027eda590f5d221100a5bc0cfb9610.png (1158x1637, 2.41M)

pretty sure the only difference on the s version is an i3 processor

>trackpad

Attached: IMG_1389.jpg (4032x3024, 993K)

Get a X200, it's even cuter with Libreboot.

God bless.

Attached: programming_socks_thinkpad1.jpg (1709x1139, 782K)

I will buy a new ThinkPad (from a business IT budget, so not possible to get used). I'm looking at T480/T480s/A485.

I am not interested in gaymes, so I don't really care for the added heat production of the discrete GPUs, though I'm not sure if I'd miss the general computing contribution. I would like to go with the A485 but reviews say it's significantly less performant than T480, but I can't tell if they're Intel shills. Also I prectically have free money so I'd like to buy the best thing possible. Does T480 feel as sturdy as T440 in build quality?

Any advice along these lines?

help me out Jow Forums

I need a laptop for my embedded systems master. My priorities are the screen, keyboard and processor. Memory and disk I can upgrade later if I need to. Don't want to spend much, so my budget is 300$-500$

There are more gems in there if you poke around a bit ((he got cucked at one point))

i like the trackpad. you ever tried customizing your fumos? i'm thinking of getting one to take apart and try to make a kanna one. might start with a fake from ali though since theyre cheap it wont matter if i mess up

Nibbas I wanna know if there is any way to assemble an competent laptop for under 500 dolars from used parts, if so where should i look for these parts?

Buy X1carbon 6gen with HDR screen, that looks really nice and bright.

pls respond

I have a 5th Gen anyway, and I'd like to have a more performant second computer (also, soldered RAM feels really bad).

You can build a hell of a Frankenpad for $400.

found it.
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/83hqhs/bought_x230_with_cracks_repaired_my_way/

After seeing the state of the T480/T490, is there any new laptop from Dell/HP/anyone else that still has removable RAM, SSD, and battery, and is still relatively durable, or is the T430/T440p my last hope?

how do i libreboot an x60s?

its much thinner

lower watt i7
thinner
1440x900 panel option
rarepad cred

Attached: IMG_0552.jpg (3024x4032, 2.95M)

yes, don't fall for the memes, every thinkpad after the t440 has the same build quality. You could argue the s line is thinner. The T430 had very hard plastic which wasn't specifically better for durability as it is slightly prone to breaking in hard impact, as opposed to a flexible material.
Don't listen for advice here, just take the general picture and not the autistic specifics. Thinkpad is generally good, research yourself for the specifics, Linux is good but research yourself the specifics. Etc. Specific advice is autistic and wrong here

>1400 * 900
uwu

Attached: 1542903132972.png (500x667, 324K)

Wut, VBox doesn't use a KVM backend.
It just presents the guest the KVM interface so Loonix is happy.

Are the touchscreen ips's any different image quality wise from the regular ips panels? I'm looking at a fairly cheap x240 right now, but it has a touchscreen. I'm not really planning to use the touch at all, I might just disable it if that's possible.

I think theyre the same panels

I have some fairly dumb questions to do with choosing my first thinkpad. Please bear with me, I have the mental capabilities of a baked potato.
Do 40/50 series run cooler/quieter than 30 series? What about the difference between T and X series?
How easy is it to fuck something up repasting if you've never done so before?
If I want to dual boot, are there any up or downsides to using a separate ssd for the OS, rather than just partitioning off some space from 1 large ssd?
Why do eBay sellers even give the option "or best offer" if they're not willing to accept a 15% discount?

Is anyone selling a Libre / Corebooted T60? I want one but am actually retarded

You can Libreboot a T60 or X60s in software, it's not a difficult task at all.

libreboot.org/docs/install/#flashrom_lenovobios

I buy weed all the time as well, but I don't get stoned before I have anything of any importance to do.
Same reason I wouldn't chug a fifth before going into the office.

finding a suitable t60 for libreboot is such a pain in the dick i doubt anyone would want to sell theirs

Attached: librebutt.jpg (4032x3024, 1.44M)

No. Not at all.

dont suppose anyone has a t410 recovery disk?

If you mean the wingdogs 7 recovery disc you can find it here.
download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html

it's not there i already looked

i think all x201s were 1440x900
x200s could be either

user, it's your chance to finally switch to Linux. Don't ignore the sign of the gods...

i've got linux on 5 of my thinkpads so i wanted to put win7 on my t410 for the classic theme. I just want something with filepicker thumbnails kek

xx70 series.

The windows 7 one is but if you're looking for a different one then it's probably not there.
I would definitely recommend what is saying however I would like to interject. What he's referring to as Linux is in fact GNU/Linux or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU+Linux.

Install KDE

Attached: 1541841353169.png (413x568, 42K)

seems x201s was 900p-only, then panel supply ran out and lenovo switched to 1280x800 for a handful of shipped units before giving up on selling the model entirely. so yeah not really an "option"

most distros have that

i mean in firefox

Attached: 1514029392217.png (1024x1500, 1.26M)

oooh, so the little window that comes up when you click the file button when posting?
Linux Mint Mate has it, but idk about any other distros

OpenSUSE with Plasma.