Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xperia_Play
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bezels and chins

Samsung

They still make really good TVs

Shitty camera

Spread themselves too thin.
No innovation, literally boring, generic shit.
But they make a lot of stuff most people don't see behind the box

They make the best camera sensors in the industry.

I hope you're baiting.

>They still make really good TVs
I doubt he is because their top of the line stuff is still excellent.
Samsung is equivalent in the midrange.

And at the same time cameras on their phones are shittier than in fucking xiaomis.

>Samsung is equivalent in the midrange.
cus they sure as fuck isnt in the high end
hurr durr lets raise the gamma and trick people into thinking the display is brighter, the fuck is wrong with samsung

Japanese cannot into software

A7III is selling fine as far as I know

>cus they sure as fuck isnt in the high end
this. Even LG is managing to put out quality OLED TV in their high-end range while Samsung seems to be willing to trick their customers with their "QLED" marketing bullshit.

Attached: betamaxLogo.jpg (310x310, 13K)

People aren't ready to pay premium prices for non-premium devices

They didn't buy Apple when they could.

it's a sony.

How do I convince my dear friend not to fall for the marketing shit of Samsung? "Its better for gaming"

How is this even possible for their mobile decision to account for like 50% of the Sony group losses? They might as well hand out Xperias for free.

Sony Cassette

No they don't unless your talking about black and white sensors for industrial applications

I don't really get your line of thinking. The Q8FN and Q9FN are top tier TVs better or equal to anything Sony has to offer.

wdym?
Playstation is the best console desu~

Then it would be 80% of their losses, dumbo.

My battle with him lies with OLED vs QLED.

Samsung was too late to the TV OLED party, just as LG was at the phone OLED party. They have now spent too much time and money on R&D for their competitors to ever catch up, so they basically have a monopoly in their respective markets. That's why everyone sources TV OLED screens from LG (including Sony) and the best smartphone screens from Samsung.

Samsung knows they will never be able to catch up to LG on the TV market, neither in production volume or price, so they decided to maximize what their existing tech can do with QLED and wait this generation out. They're betting everything on next-gen tech like microLED. If and when they get it to have reasonable yields for home use (55-65 in) I expect them to dominate the TV market just like they dominate the smartphone market.

Well I can argue for both in that regard, since I have both a Q9FN and a LG B8. If I had to pick one for gaming, I would pick the Q9FN. OLED struggles with HDR detail particularly in games that have the highest brightness requirements, and in this regard an OLED simply cannot keep up. Burn-in I wouldn't say is a realistic issue unless you plan to play games 15 hours a day, but temporal image retention is definitely a thing and you have to do inconvenient things like shutting your TV off to remove static artifacts which is annoying.

Attached: OLEDNPC.jpg (1920x1080, 188K)

In more excited about emissive quantum dot, desu. They were working on it, don't know if they abandoned that in favor of mled.

Make him wait for the 2019 line-ups. LG will have full HDMI 2.1 compliance, which means 4k@120hz with HDR and also VRR. If that doesn't convince him, I guess he's already lost to the marketing hype.

Man shut up
Sony TVs are all I'll use, forever.

>4k 120hz
what's the point of 120hz on TVs lol, it's not like console games support it

Leave him alone. He's probably never seen how good even a 480p upscale looks on Sony. He's probably just regurgitating the "Android TV is slow" meme that's all over the internet.

>Spot the pleb in the thread

They bent the knee to the chinks and moved most manufacturing there.

To be fair, android TV is garbage, and Sony's platform is inadequate. They're still using 100 megabit ethernet, ffs.
Sony tv have good displays, just don't expect a good smart TV. I connected it to a pc so I don't care.

>t. 55X900E owner

I own a B6 myself, I've passed on many of the same points, with the added note of better black levels, which helps make up the difference in HDR luminosity.

WTF is VRR.

>WTF is VRR.
Variable refresh rate. Freesync, basically.

The interface is kinda slow indeed, but it's still far better than anything from Samsung or LG. You can run full fat KODI and stream from SMB and NFS shares. I'd trade functionality over smoothness any day.

Also, two of the reasons that their displays look so good is post-processing and calibration, which are functions of the SoC. The A9 OLED wouldn't get all the awards that it has if it were just an LG screen with a Sony frame and badge over it.

God bless the X1 Ultimate.

Well the waiting for HDMI 2.1 game is kind of a dangerous path to take, currently there are no graphic cards that support HDMI 2.1 and I doubt Nvidia will support it in their next cycle as it would completely BTFO their G-Sync marketing. They will obviously have to at some point, just seems to go against their interest at the moment. And you would need something as powerful as 2080 Ti to even come close to taking advantage of 4k@120hz, but even that is pushing it. AMD has no card even close, though at least then you can take advantage of 10-bit color depth which Nvidia seem to struggle with. So there is no optimal solution here as far as gaming goes.

I doubt feature consoles will allow anything above 4k@60hz, would be quite the jump to allow 4K with uncapped FPS to take advantage of VRR above 60hz considering even the most powerful hardware on a PC will struggle with it.

4k@120hz is mostly a meme, but the increased bandwith of HDMI 2.1 is not but that isn't something you need to wait for.

Honestly, I would be hard pressed to say which of my TVs are better. I don't really care too much in the end, both QLED and OLED is amazing. Technology wise the other poster is right about QLED, it's a lot of engineering to keep up with OLED.

their phones are great, MDR7506 still going strong, there's that isolating headphone too, and so on.
They were never that great though, they have a very wide range of shitware

it will be hard decision for me
LG C9 or Sony A9G
LG will have hdmi 2.1 but I’m not sure do i need this for anime.
Sony will have better shadows and moving res.

Stolen tech by Chinese/Koreans who produced shittier quality for cheaper.

Turns out Americans prefer 80% quality with 80% reduction in price than 100% quality with 100% mark up.

Kind of ironic to write that considering Sony uses LG panels.

lmao? Get the Sony
just fuck off poorfag, I hate poor losers.

You can run 4k@>60hz in most "cinematic" games, 1080p@120hz in quick paced stuff like fighting games and you will also be able to have both of them when the technology evolves. Maybe it will take a year, maybe it will take five. But you don't replace your TV often, so futureproof interfaces are a big plus imho.

Also, 120 is a multiple of 24, 30 and 60, so you don't need any trashy interpolation to have smooth motion in movies if you decide to use your PC as a source.

Also, I forgot to mention that it's only a couple of months of waiting time. You will be able to either get the 2019 models with better specs, or the 2018 models with a heavy discount. Either way, it's a bad time to buy a TV right now.

when nobuki ideo, i think that was the name of the ceo at that time, gave away all their engineers to samsung for really not clear reasons. he let them go in retirement, and samsung hired them back

in the early 2000s the damage had already been done, the samsung and lg were already becoming todays' gigants

here in italy their headquarter was massive considering the market. in the 80ies and 90ies and most of the early 2000 they were the first choice after all. located in Cinisello Balsamo, near milan. When the euro debt crisis of 2010 hit us hard, they fired almost everyone. they finally left it in 2015.

my father still has a silver keychan with the picture of the building sculpted on it, and a solid gold sony pin

good years...

Attached: 2143_sony_ant-it-IT.aspx.jpg (387x258, 79K)

nothing?
everyone just went retarded with muh 100% display zero benzel.
Sony shouldn't have to follow the trend if they truly want to survive.
Just make absolutely flat screen 16:9 phone with thick bezel.
No infinity display meme, no curve glass meme, no 20000000000:1 meme

>everyone just went retarded with muh 100% display zero benzel.
>Sony shouldn't have to follow the trend if they truly want to survive

the exact same thing could apply to them in choosing not to follow the korean in making the first shitty lcd tvs because crt still had much better picture quality and a lot to offer. except they did exactly this! and we know how it ended

I miss crt era.
Degaussing by literally placing magnet near my unit.

Great hardware, mediocre software.
Their TVs are still topgun though, I've had problems with my gook TVs where they would die after a few years. My old Sony Bravia 1080p TV from 7 years ago still works.
Also LG/Samsung TVs has some slow ass response times for vidya.

Yes, indeed, they can either keep their 2010 design to please the 10 autistic boomers on Jow Forums who care enough, but won't spend more than 200$ on a phone or they can follow the opinions of their normie focus group which like the bezelless trend and actually have the money to spend on their ridiculously priced phones.

/t XZ3 owner here. Had the XZ premium before.

Nothing changed. Sony management is still full of idiots who do not understand the power of vertical integration and international brands. Imagine if they did any of the following:
- put their Xperia team, which puts out one of the best Android skins, in charge of their TV firmware
- Allow streaming from a PlayStation to their phones. Even better, make a PlayStation phone, allow it to run a PS Vita emulator.
- build a streaming platform with all the movies that they have from Sony pictures, make it free for Sony phones/TVs

It took them 8 fucking years to put the Alpha/camera team in charge of their phone camera optimization. Let's see how the XZ3 turns out.

Attached: Screenshot_20190304-192703.png (1440x2880, 159K)

Power saving was big factor in lcd adoption.

>tfw Linux 3 forever
fell for the chink meme

Yeah Sony has by far the best TV upscaling software in the business.

Probably because they were one of the few major companies that made the transition from SDTV to HDTV's and have been working on solutions for that problem forever.

Rant time. Sony Android TVs wont let you tune an individual satellite channel. I REALLY FUCKING HATE that. What the fuck were they thinking leaving that out. The media player application is just SLOWWW to display a file list from USB. You can see they tried to be clever with the software, eg. contextual options menu for most things but that's even more confusing for normies than the XMB interface because you can't see all the options all the time. The main options menu is just a confusing mess. Rant over.

>- Allow streaming from a PlayStation to their phones. Even better, make a PlayStation phone, allow it to run a PS Vita emulator.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xperia_Play
I don't know why they don't make it anymore, maybe they think it's going to be a failure again.

Samsung had an OLED TV back in 2013. The problem was they are using RGB OLED, which can't be produced economically enough to compete with LG's White-OLED (which is patented).

Samsung is now aggressively pursuing development of QD-OLED, which uses uniform blue OLED emitters instead of a RGB, and converts it to red and green via a patterned quantum dot conversion layer. This is the more likely next-gen from Samsung, rather than MicroLED.

Betamax was superior. They didn't make the same errors with Blu-ray and it destroyed HD-DVD.

> he doesn't know
24p is 23.976 frames mate....

Still superior to playing them on 60Hz but guess what - if you're using a PC as a Source you should be using Kodi or whatever equivalent that changes your panels display rate. Otherwise a Raspberry Pi is a better choice.

Yikes.

>They're still using 100 megabit ethernet, ffs.
That's enough to stream a 75 GB 2 hour movie. Also, you shouldn't be using a TV to display your media collection imo - use a NUC w/ Kodi or a Vera 4K media player that hooks directly into your AVR.

>PS1 Classic
basically some pathethic overpaid manager, while taking a shit, shouts: "IDEA!! we'll get MEEEELLIONS!"

>epic fail ensues

>What went wrong?
Parting their ways with Ericsson

They stopped Trinitron production

just drop every 1001th frame, easy

i work for them. ask me anything. i might answer

Disgusting. Or just have your panel refresh rate changed when watching videos.

>buy an expensive TV
>tune it to run like a Corolla

>That's enough to stream a 75 GB 2 hour movie. 100mbit is not enough, because a video stream does not have constant bitrate. If you want a real example, take Planet Earth II. The episode in Antarctica does not stutter/buffer at all, because it's mostly just white-ish colors which can be compressed easily. On the other hand, any episode with a lot of vegetation, leaves and stuff like that stutter and buffer pretty often.
>Also, you shouldn't be using a TV to display your media collection imo - use a NUC w/ Kodi or a Vera 4K media player that hooks directly into your AVR.
What's the fucking point of a smart TV then? The whole "smart" thing involves a real OS that you pay for, whether you want it or not in 2019. If I wanted to go back to 1995, when my dad had 5 boxes besides the CRT TV, I would've bought a big monitor. Android TV is actually the least offensive here, since it's the only one capable of running KODI.

The literally moved their HQ from based Tokyo to shit-hole Los Angeles

t. from los angeles

Home still has a Sony Bravia TV that's knocking on for 15+ yrs and is great. But i'm currently extremely annoyed at their locking bootloaders at uk carrier's request. I've no idea how they make money now.

They tried to make everything, ran out of money, and had to downsize when that didn't work out.
The things they still make are okay but nothing noteworthy.
Their audio equipment is decent, literally every phone on the market uses their camera sensors, and all of that is probably kept afloat by the Playstation division.

Attached: D0pgMbTWkAM15eL.jpg (1242x1636, 175K)

if they still use 100mbit ethernet then it’s better to use 5g wifi 802.11ac since it’s 8 times faster

What does black cock taste like you degenerate little faggot. Go shove your flaming HIV infected mouth on some Korean cock and trendset away from the last unique brand, shitlord.

XZ1 owner here, shut your faggot mouth or show your bank roll you dirty SK nigger.

Too fragmented.
I have a NW-A25 walkman
Love the little fucker, use it around 4-8 hours daily. I should probably hunt for another one for when this one dies.
I also have one of their last VAOI they made, little cunt keeps on going after years.

They're also one of the last few good full-size camera makers.

>They tried to make everything, ran out of money
so we can await the same fate for Samsung, LG and Huawei? Sweet.

I'm not from SK and wtf is a bankroll?

Attached: 1551749526733.webm (1280x720, 2.96M)

My mates Smart TV can't do HEVC in Kodi. TV's have always been used to hook into other devices except for actual TV but even then I use my satellite TV box to handle that.
>vhs/betamax players
>consoles
>bluray/dvd players
etc

You expect your TV to load up AAA console titles as well? Fuck me dead cunt.

I'd only be using the "smart" functions for shit like YouTube. My AVR can do spotify and I can turn the TV off and listen that way too. And TV speakers suck - I buy the panel exclusively for picture. Sound = AVR. Smarts = devices.

was for The only exception I make to this rule of course is on my PC where I have a 144Hz panel and rarely if ever do I watch something on it. The point really is a TV can do 23.976 and all their testing will be basically done on there - why waste it? Why have a lessor experience just coz?
Buy a hisense then.

got a 10 year old, full-hd bravia that is still going strong.

>My mates Smart TV can't do HEVC in Kodi.
Tell him to get a better TV.
>>vhs/betamax players
30yoboomer.jpg
>>consoles
pleb.jpg
>>bluray/dvd players
Blockbuster called. They want their dead technology back.
>You expect your TV to load up AAA console titles as well? Fuck me dead cunt.
No, but I expect a 2000$ smart TV to be able to play the same videos that a 200$ smartphone can, especially when the SoC only adds up to a couple of dollars in the BoM.
>I'd only be using the "smart" functions for shit like YouTube. My AVR can do spotify and I can turn the TV off and listen that way too. And TV speakers suck - I buy the panel exclusively for picture. Sound = AVR. Smarts = devices.
My TV can do all of that with HDMI ARC.

Stop pretending you "need" all of that shit for VHS and Spotify. If you were really a hardcore cinephile, you'd have a proper projector and dolby atmos capable sound system calibrated for the room. Only then you could justify having an AVR to connect your Blu-ray player, console and media streamer (for your digitized magnetic tape collection).

> nothing noteworthy
Quasi-monopoly on good camera sensors for phones. The high end phones have to pay out of their ass to get one, I think.
Also generally a solid camera business.

This, also they should start making PC monitors again.

On other words
>Sony:high end smartphone camera sensors = LG:oled TV panels
?
Didn't know that.

what do you mean? even rtings oled burn-in tests show fucking burn-in
FUCK oled, everyone knows it's shit

Lol, it's like you've never heard of Sony music or Sony pictures, which are some of the biggest in their respective industries. Everything hardware that Sony has is chump change compared to those.

Have you actually seen or read the article that you're quoting? They specifically mention that they had to use the TVs in unrealistic scenarios to make burn-in visible, such as running on a news channel with a huge red, static overlay for a year, continuously.

it's not unrealistic at all, idiot
what if i leave my oled tv running as a desktop that's on 24/7?
oled can go eat a dick

What if I just use a device for a purpose that it wasn't meant to fulfill?
What if I use a sedan to go offroad? It will break? Sedans can go eat a dick.

See how idiotic you sound?

I do have an atmos capable sound system calibrated for the room but I'll never get a projector.

Fact is a dedicated device has always been the way to go. You know what Smart TV's are for? Mum's and Pop's.

And yet you're the one sounding like my dad.

Your Dad sounds like a switched on fella. Too bad your mum cucked him and you're a half cast with low IQ.

I'm sorry I'm not a 80s patrician with a betamax collection like you. I swear you fucks sometimes like to make your lives more complicated and like to have the most autistic setups just to prove your selfworth on anime image boards.

Cunt, I've never even touched a Betamax tape.

The point is if you're spending thousands you may as well spend a few bucks more and get a dedicated device.

>a screen isn't meant to be looked at
retard, i keep my UH77V 4k IPS tv on 24/7, as a desktop. it has no burn-in. since 2016.

>hurr, a car isn't meant to be driven
Did someone give you an extra a chromosome as a gift? It's a different type of product with different pros and cons. How hard is it to understand?