Thunderbolt is now license free and called USB 4

usb.org/sites/default/files/2019-02/USB_PG_USB4_DevUpdate_Announcement_FINAL_20190226.pdf
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03/thunderbolt-3-becomes-usb4-as-intels-interconnect-goes-royalty-free/

Attached: thunderbolt-3-connector-800x533.jpg (800x533, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03/thunderbolt-3-becomes-usb4-as-intels-interconnect-goes-royalty-free/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

GOD

Thunderbolt 3 on Ryzen mobos when?

Based and redpilled

>USB 4 type C
USB 3.2 gen 2x2 is going to die before is was borne.

Good.

I just hope it becomes more common now.

I just hope MOTHER EVROPA makes a totalitarian law enforcing all of the devices sold within the EU to be equipped with usb 4.0 type C. All of them.

What is the difference between USB type-C and Thunderbolt?

"USB" and "Thunderbolt" are protocols.
"type-C" is the physical connector.

USB is a fucking mess

LOL USB BECOMES MORE CONFUSING

USB= USB
Thunderbolt= PCIE + some other stuff using the USB type C connector

It won't if they enforce USB 4.0 to be ONLY type C and always come with power delivery 3.0 and always come with displayport over usb.

Attached: usbs-will-have-more-logos-so-people-won-t-confuse-them-anymore-490299-3.jpg (1453x818, 135K)

I think intel is the only company that produces thunderbolt controllers, so I don't really think that could happen, at least not until more companies are involved and it's already more widespread.

usb 4 type C 3.2x2.6 gen 5 mkiv revision 9 type A 5.1

>this is why we can't have nice things

Consumer tech advances, yet everyone is dissatisfied with it.

like arduino and raspberry pi?

that chart is missing
>usb 3.2 gen1x1
>usb 3.2 gen1x2
>usb 3.2 gen2x1
>usb 3.2 gen2x1

Imagine the alternate reality where you can have a laptop with four usb 4.0 type c ports. All working on pci-e 4.0 inside. All with full power delivery. All capable of display port video delivery.

Real speed, full freedom...

That should change now that it's license free.

>Type C was supposed to be the saviour
>They desecrated it into pic related abomination

This.

Apple might still use the lightning connector for royalties and that sweet 1000% profit margin on accessories. Imagine all those poor ignorant sheeps getting abused. While others got the universal serial buss Type-C that can do everything except audio.

I heard they're saying something like "You need USB-C port to get the benefit of USB 4 but it's compatible with legacy usb ports"?

Only laptops, monitors, tablets and high end phones need Thunderbolt, all the simple peripherals can use type-C with cheaper protocols.

>USB-C
You mean "type-C".

And dont forget - manufacturers are cheating with thunderbolt and will gladly just give you half the bandwidth.

Fuck the industry. Give me the EU, force them to standardize and squeeze their balls if needed.

hehe

Who cares about this Intel shit?

Intel gave it to USB and now USB decided to adopt it

I thought it was USB 3.2 gen3x2 revision A1.631 subset B2

in america, the industry squeezes YOUR balls

>arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03/thunderbolt-3-becomes-usb4-as-intels-interconnect-goes-royalty-free/
It's actually the Turbo Alpha X variation

inb4 trump calls for USB 5

the duality of tech - I don't know whether I'm more happy about the imminent Ryzen/USB4 laptops, or angry about the USB branding becoming a NP-hard problem.

The NP-hard problem (non-deterministic polynomial-time hardness), in computational complexity theory, is the defining property of a class of problems that are, informally, "at least as hard as the hardest problems in NP". A simple example of an NP-hard problem is the subset sum problem.

USB 4 Gen 3.2 4x2 SuperSpeed 2: Cruise Control

Thunderbolt 4. So basically USB sticks will have access to the pcie bus.

there's nothing universal about USB

inb4 USB killer kills your PCI-E lanes in your CPU

thankfully pci-e 4.0 is just around the corner

...unless you're intel

Except the protocol.

Will it make it in time for the next AM4 motherboards?

And physical connectors

hmmmmmm

>no more shitty usb polling and latency
>ps/2 can finally be replaced
>e-sata and e-pci dead for good
>no reason to use patent-encumbered hdmi when display port can just used instead
I can't believe USB is finally good. This might be the biggest change for the better since the original USB 3 spec.

>he thinks they will let him interrupt them

I'm so glad the only thing I own that uses usb-c is only my Switch. I'll ride this bullshit out until there's one agreed upon standard.

Thunderbolt plugs into PCI, there is nothing stopping companies from making the hardware to make it happen.

Why do you say USB Type-C can't do audio?

Yeah, but EU squeezes the balls of any company, since they need to comply if they want access to the biggest market in the world.

>literally ask Jow Forums what usb4 will look like
>this happens 2 days later

Attached: small-easy-wood-projects-11.jpg (620x375, 56K)

Thunderbolt has a cool logo compared to "SS USB 10 battery DP".

Attached: snip.jpg (232x234, 8K)

Attached: driver-installation-failed.jpg (480x282, 30K)

I don't like multiple things about Eurogulag, but I will always welcome anyone who punches the smugness out of American faces.

They won't though. You're going to eventually encounter a USB 4.0 with "power delivery" capacity of 5V 500 mA someplace.

Wait, did the original say SS and the new one have lightnings instead of S's...
USB IS NAZI....

No, only one lightning. You have to wait until next generation when they add a second lane of Thunderbolt to double the speed, and add a second one to the logo.

SS is for super speed

Attached: 1548629142058.jpg (501x332, 56K)

hehe, now the thunderbolt security holes in a computer near you.
fuck this shit that exposes the pcie to the outer world.

And what is blitzkrieg but super speed warfare? Again, USB IS NAZI.

STOP MAKING NEW USB STANDARDS EVERY ODD-NUMBERED DAY!

Attached: ZmHnHcq.jpg (2419x1814, 1.12M)

But Google said if it isn't updated every few months everyone will lose interest and move on.

Uh, nice work dictionary copy paster but I think most people here know what an NP-hard problem is