/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: cuteboyOPpic.jpg (1000x1350, 427K)

Other urls found in this thread:

examcompass.com/comptia/security-plus-certification/free-security-plus-practice-tests
cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk/
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4482887
catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4482887
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's the best way to study for CompTIA Sec+? I've been studying at my own pace for a few months now but I want to take two weeks to cram for a test. Any good sites to use or question banks for the current version?

Attached: 1547418391543.jpg (495x480, 28K)

Reposting in new thread:

Okay so I was encrypting a hardrive with VeraCrypt. I had to defer the process, and now it won't resume. Here's what I get:

Operation failed due to one or more of the following:
- Incorrect password.
- Incorrect Volume PIM number.
- Incorrect PRF (hash).
- Not a valid volume.
Source: ResumeInPlaceEncWaitThreadProc:346

There was no PIM number, the password is correct.

I have no idea what to do from here. I can't even access the drive because it wants me to format it first and I cannot lose this data.

What do I do? Can I recover everything if I format the drive? Or if anyone here is familiar with veracrypt is there anything I can do?

As someone who passed the Network+ without much trouble (and will probably go for the security+ sometime soon-ish), I highly recommend the Examcompass tests. Link below is the security+ stuff
examcompass.com/comptia/security-plus-certification/free-security-plus-practice-tests
Each one of those links is a separate test, so you'll have plenty to test your knowledge with. They're not the exact questions you'll get on a test, but they should give you some idea of what kinds of information you'll be expected to know.

Anyone? I'd ask in the /hsg/ but there isn't one.

Is thermal throttling real or just a meme? My CPU is in the 90c s under high loads and I have very inconsistent frame rates.

Update: I think I'm going to have to format the drive, but I cannot fuck around with this.

What is good softtware to use, and is there a chance I'm going to lose anything if I perform recovery right after formatting without writing anything new?

any tutorials on setting a up a modern office in your home? (like as in pic related)

Attached: modest-ideas-modern-desk-setup-cool-computer-setups-best-desks-for-gaming-white-canada.jpg (808x452, 27K)

can my IPS(or in general the activity tracking all social media usually do) read text inside screenshots?
a friend sent me a screenshot of a test they made online, and i saw this screenshot on my phone, then i searched the test on my PC, and one of the results was the exact page of their result with "you are here because one of your friends linked you to their TEST results" as description.
I am logged into nothing on PC except discord, and my friend sent me the screenshot via twitter.
Im not logged into twitter on my pc, and im not logged into discord on my phone, the only actual connection between the tw devices is they're both connected to my home wifi, so it doesnt seem like the usual "while you're logged into X social, it may track your browsing activities and show you specific ads related to your previous searches" stuff.

>is there a chance I'm going to lose anything
That's a weird question. As said, you're definitely going to lose whatever's been encrypted, unless veracrypt has some kind of read only mode that works. But a recovery program, run from a flash drive that isn't doing any writing on the drive you're trying to recover from can't make things any worse. I'd see if it can pick anything up BEFORE you try the format, but your options are fairly limited here.

So if I can recover something that's encrypted, will I be able to open it with veracrypt since I know the password? Or will I just not be able to recover it at all?

I wasn't making it a hidden volume

It’s very real

I guess all I'm wondering now is should I keep trying to resume the process somehow (I have no idea where to get help on that) or just pull the trigger on formatting and try to recover what I can?

This is info you'd want to dig around in veracrypt related forums for, to see what kind of advanced features they have. What I'm saying is that if you cut out in the middle of encrypting, then presumably there's some shit that hasn't been encrypted yet, and you want to try salvaging that part before doing a format.

Anyone? My last GPU broke quite quickly so I'm trying to be extra careful with this one.

/diy/ would probably be more helpful than Jow Forums

or go to /bst/
>

Thanks. VC uses sourceforge for their forums, and it won't let me sign up there for reasons I can't figure out either. It keeps telling me my registration hits their spam filter but I'm not doing anything weird.

I can't access the drive to try to recover unencrypted files, it isn't recognized as a drive by windows until the encryption process is done. I tried Recuva but if you know of a program that could go in there anyway (it shows up in the file explorer, I just can't go in)

cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk/

Hello, /sqt/! Is "The C programming language" a good book to read if I already know C(++) pretty well?

yes

what's wrong with letting the sensor do its thing and throttle up/down based on temps? if the fan is noisy maybe you need to wd40 it

anyone?

Whut's the model name of theze

Attached: IMG_20190304_221345.jpg (2042x4000, 1.26M)

>CUTEBOYOPPIC.JPG
Why is the op this gay every time

Whats a good no bullshit password manager? I'm getting to the point where I have too many passwords for all my different accounts and for my job.

Attached: 824.jpg (403x433, 25K)

Just choose multiple words or number combinations and mix them in different patterns

Pwsafe or KeepassX

Is using openvpn even worth the trouble of setting up?

I do that right now but currently all my passwords are 20+ characters numbers and letters. I guess I'll just stick to keeping them in a notebook

no, you might as well set up a proxy then, it's all the same.

Install Wireguard.

keepass for non bloat non bullshit

It's not noisy, but it's turning the fans on and off around every three seconds. 50c is when they turn on, and the board idles at 49-51. I'm afraid the constant spin-ups might stress the bearings.

DON'T DO THAT!
A password manager is an encrypted database that protects your password information from being accessed by anyone but you, through the use of a master password.
Listen to these posts
Because thats how mafia works

Do I need to defrag an HDD before cloning it to an SSD, or does fragmentation not matter for SSDs at all?

>Do I need to defrag an HDD before cloning it to an SSD
it's not required
>does fragmentation not matter for SSDs at all?
not in terms of seeking, unlike a hdd, you can seek to any part of an SSD in the same amount of time as any other part
however, writing fragmented files can cause write amplification on SSDs, something that doesn't affect HDDs, so avoiding fragmentation still has it's advantages on SSDs, probably not as noticeable as on a HDD, but still.
i would probably clone it then defrag it on the ssd, unless you have plenty of time. modern ssds can take a fuckload of writes, and you'll probably replace it for another reason before you run out of writes, doing one initial defrag isn't going to matter

Is it bad to run a command line program inside a program instead of writing the components programmatically. So instead of create a http connection class and shit, just calling the command line using curl. This is a personal program.

Why is bash so weird looking?

You are correct about ssds being able to take a fuckload of writes, but I see no reason for annon to get involved in his SSD's optimization at all. Windows and the drives internal systems perform all the necessary maintenance as needed.

Anybody got a good Android app for VPN that isn't garbage or overpriced?

it probably won't make a noticeable difference, unless the disk is currently ridiculously fragmented, i just personally don't like the idea of cloning a disk and not cleaning it up/defragging it at the same time, if you're going to read/write the whole disk, might as well do it cleanly, right?
i don't think windows defrags ssds at all, only runs TRIM occationally instead, so whatever state the hdd is in will stay like that on the ssd

What's a good portable music player similar to the Sansa Clip that has a better battery life? Something simple that focuses solely on being able to play music, no touchscreens.

wireguard

Is there any to mute a object in Java from making system.out.print calls? I'm new to Java and I am working with a library that fills the terminal with text that it makes it hard to read.

>i don't think windows defrags ssds at all
It does, but only as needed which is very rare. Although if you have restore points enabled, it does it once a month, to make sure the restore point runs quickly. Restore points are one of those weirdly shitty windows relics that will probably never be redesigned the way they should be.

A modern OS is never going to leave an HDD with even a fraction of the fragmentation necessary to impact performance of an SSD in any way. Regardless of the drive type, you should leave all the maintenance to the OS.

>Restore points are one of those weirdly shitty windows relics that will probably never be redesigned the way they should be.
system restore was introduced with windows me. nuff said.

>A modern OS is never going to leave an HDD with even a fraction of the fragmentation necessary to impact performance of an SSD in any way.
you're probably right, unless the hdd is or has recently been completely full (hdd's don't slow down because they're full per-se, it's just a side-effect of being full causing more fragmentation, and it's the fragmentation which slows things down)
i just like things to be nice and tidy when they're first initialized

obviously the only problem with that is if it doesnt spin up if it gets too hot, is there a way to do that as well as override the idle speed like you are trying to do?

Shared cookies between browser profiles i.e Firefox account or something similar

Some security software might flag this and warn you, if its just a program for you then I see no problem.

>i just like things to be nice and tidy
You would find the inner workings of an SSD to be a nightmare. They don't even respect partition lines when sticking data places.

Hard Drive will power on when just connected to power. But when connected to SATA and power, it will not turn on and in turn will not be detected in the BIOS. I don't know what's wrong. It looks like all the SATA ports on my motherboard are turned on, but I could be mistaken. This is the first time I've done anything like this, so I'm SURE I've probably missed something.

So the fans constantly going from 0 to 1100 rpm every few seconds isn't an issue? The temps are just fine when the board is under load. Fans only do this when it's idle.

one was a screenshot opened within twitter mobile app on phone
the other was a google search on desktop
no same accounts were used
my question is how could my browser on pc know the content of a screenshot i opened on my phone if there's no account connected between the 2 devices

Can I swap SSDs in and out for different OS's on my Thinkpad?

Yes, but the more practical solution would be to get one large one and just stick all your OSes on that. If you've got multiple bays, you can choose between drives at boot.

I just got my first multimeter what should i avoid to make it last?

I meant that if you do your option and set the fans manually, then will it still monitor temps and properly speed up when it gets hot? Doesn't setting it manually disable that?

I have a custom fan curve set, so heating up isn't a problem. It just won't let me set the fans to under 40% at all. It's either 0 or >40%. So I'm trying to figure out which of my options stresses the fans less while idle: The fans turning on and off constantly, or running at 40% at all times.

In that case I would go with option 2 and run at 40% always, like you say the constant fluctuations cant be good, good luck user.

>Asked my engineering professor a question about an example in his lecture notes
>He leads me to his office to give me a "program" that would help me with the example
>He asks me if I have an Android phone and I realize he's going to sideload an app onto my phone
>I ask him if he's going to give to me an apk file, and he says not to worry and then transfers an apk from his laptop to my phone, then installs the app
It's a trivial thing, but has this sort of thing ever happened to anyone else? I sideload apps on my phone all the time, so it wasn't a problem, but I feel like people who don't know about sideloading and don't have "unknown sources" enabled would be hesitant on installing an app not from Google Play for security purposes.

RTFM

I downloaded a hentai game yesterday. It's the best game I've ever played, but today it won't let me play it any more. 'This app can't run on your pc'

I also can't move the folder, or delete it, or open it. How to fix? There's a catgirl waiting for me.

Attached: this is a youtube animation of a videogame character so please do not call me a weeb.gif (500x446, 662K)

you sure provided a lot of information to go on.

So I was trying to compile a .c file to test a library that I installed. For example: gcc mycode.c -o output . Of course this shit will give me an undefined reference to functions kind of problem so I just use the library I want to test, let's call it libtest.so (and libtest.a of course). It's important to note that both of the static and shared library are in /usr/local/lib/.

Ok so now I use shit like gcc mycode.c -llibtest -o output or gcc mycode.c -L/usr/local/lib/libtest.so and I just keep getting fucking linker error. BUT if I use gcc mycode.c /usr/local/lib/libtest.so -o output everything works. Why? I'm pretty sure this is not the way to 'input' shared libraries or the like. Someone can help a turbo brainlet here?

a person with a long history of hacking and spying via their computer knows my home address and is that much of a creep to try their best to continue it in any way possible.
Realistically how much could they do via their computer to hurt my own computing life?

Which orange pi should I buy to make a kodi box with hardware acceleration on armbian?

Well yeah. This is just a secondary laptop I plan on using for an attack lab and don't want to bother transferring data from a full SSD to a larger one to accommodate another OS. Basically just want to pop in some $20 SSD with the OS I need and be set.

how do i Find by product namethe count Orders, min, max , total amount and average total amountwhere the order count is odd and even greater than 49 in sql?

Name?

Don’t leave batteries in it if you’re not going to use it for awhile. Don’t leave the leads in the current holes and forget they’re in there as you go to measure voltage and short circuit the cunt with a ton of amps. If you’re lucky it will be fused and you won’t destroy the whole meter, but at least my Klein doesn’t use off the shelf fuses and they cost a few bucks and need to be ordered online.

Trying to use OpenVPN on my new Gentoo install but pic related happens. Why? Am I missing something for networking in my kernel or something?

Attached: no_devnettun.png (1221x248, 61K)

-l names a library file to be used by the linker
-L names a directory to add to the list of places libraries might be.
Try
gcc mycode.c -L/usr/local/lib -lllibtest.so -o output

With windows cumulative updates do i need the latest one or all of them?

In vinyl music player for android i deleted a bunch of songs from a file manager but theyre still selectable from the app
It gives me an error when i try to play them because theyre not on the device anymore
How to update the displayed selection?

Attached: 004CE452B7754D539BDBE74BB1185CE5.png (523x931, 713K)

the latest one

Is there anything cool I can do with a spare iPhone 5 or is it just a mp3 player now?

Cheesy mobile games?

Alright because LTSC was being weird with the stock release, looks like this fixed it up.

I'm teaching myself Javascript and I've just come across ternary operators. Is it really necessary to use these instead of if/else statements? they seem so... gay. But then again maybe I'm just a retard.

Attached: exotic2.jpg (1600x900, 505K)

How did you apply the update to LTSC?

i just ran the .msu microsoft gives you.

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4482887
This one to be exact.

Interesting. My understanding was that LTS releases weren't compatible with normal updates. Did you install the "servicing stack update" it recommends first?

Also whoever manages the OP needs to add that cumulative updates are really needed for LTSC since its broken in both release and re-release.
For example build 17763.107(re-release) comes with the problems where you can overwrite files without warning and that some programs wont set as default.

LTSB is just windows server 2016 and LTSC is a modified 1809 enterprise version.

What bash tools can access the internet?

is the $1 custom print mouse pad still a thing?

>Did you install the "servicing stack update" it recommends first?
Not sure, i just ran one file, the x64 link you can find here:
catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4482887

As there base, yes. I know MS puts some restrictions on their updates, I'm just not sure exactly what they are. It's like how you literally can't update an old version of 10 with new updates released X months after it's Feature Update is superseded.

Lynx is a cli web browser

can I sudo apt install lynx?

Mkay. I'm just noticing that the first page you linked to says the update can have stability issues if you don't run the stack first.

There are no restrictions, just they wont give you updates to a newer version only fixes and security updates for that exact version.
For example from LTSB 1607 you cant go to 1703, but you can apply all the updates a normal 1607 version gets in LTSB.

Where can i find repoindex.xml files in opensus

My mouse wheel has been iffy with clicking for a day or two, and it seemed to finally stop working completely. Took it apart and pulled the wheel off to get to the button. I blew the dirt off and managed to click it with my finger a few times but i have to really mash the down into the housing, doesnt seem like the wheel can press it far enough. Is there anything i can do? The button works every time if i press it far enough so i guess its just build up inside the button, but how would i try to clean that? Dab some alcohol on it while its unplugged and hope it gets down there?

Curl or wget for downloading webpages
W3m or lynx for terminal web browsing

So far its stable and fixed major problems (Windows store not recognizing a headset, files overwriting without asking, default programs not saving), if anything comes up i will be here but i doubt it.

>find / -name "repoindex.xml"

>live in a poor, remote area
>only option is cellular data or satellite internet
>move to another state
>ask locals what the best isp is
>sign a 1-yr contract for high speed internet, $50/m with free modem
>never had a problem with it, consistently getting 12-15mbps
>easily the fastest internet i've ever used with and i have it in my own home
Is this the new normal, or did I get really lucky?