Why are normies so obsessed with thin computers/smartphones/whatever?

Why are normies so obsessed with thin computers/smartphones/whatever?

It makes no sense whatsoever. Our devices are already small enough. Phones fit in our pockets. Why make them thinner? They are willing to deal with:

>non-removable batteries
>shitty battery life
>shitty keyboards
>no repairability (you can't even open some of these devices without breaking them)

All of that just to have a gadget thinner than a piece of cardboard? It's absolutely retarded.

Attached: nW3XGwppxrWETHAR-800x600.jpg (800x600, 47K)

Also:
>no ports
>no audio jack

They leave their houses sometimes unlike you op and want their devices to be as small and light as possible

>Oh no, my phone weighs 200 grams, how will I ever recover

>They leave their houses sometimes unlike you op and want their devices to be as small and light as possible
Must be because of all the onion they're drinking.

>shitty keyboards
There is not a single laptop ever that had good keyboard.

>t. mkg fag

>non-removable batteries
But it still works.
>shitty battery life
But we have chargers.
>shitty keyboards
But it still works.
>no repairability (you can't even open some of these devices without breaking them)
But I don't know how to repair my devices, I can just take it to a technician.
>no ports
But USB hubs exist.
>no audio jack
But Bluetooth headphones exist.

t. Normie

Normie is told that a new thing is better, normie seeks to obtain that thing.
After all, what are they, poor?

Meanwhile Jow Forums buys old shit, because old=good.

this retarded argument does not make sense unless you are traveling

Fits nicely in a backpack or carrying case without being bulky. Pretty convenient, and chances are the laptop is due for replacement from specs alone when any of that hardware gives out.

Keep in mind that this is also an era wherein people will just choose not to have a laptop at all if it's slightly inconvenient.

Yep, many of Jow Forumsentautists also got into the cargo cult mentality.
However many still run their thinkpads because hye, those do everything I need to run. And pit even plays some of the games I like.
I like to think that there's still hope for this shuthole.

People who go outside often tend to value portability.

Attached: casual-businesswoman-ipad-subway.jpg (4096x2160, 297K)

I have an 11" Macbook Air (bought used) to complement my desktop. It's so small and thin that a single textbook or a full water bottle makes more of a difference in my backpack than the laptop and power brick ever could. And it's still pretty easy to open up and work on if need be. I can't fathom why anyone would demand something smaller than this.

Attached: DSC_4297.jpg (1900x1225, 424K)

>non-removable batteries
will die
>shitty battery life
touché
>shitty keyboards
touché, although I understand preference
>I don't know how to repair my devices
You might not, but the main premise of repairability is accessible information. If I can read up on something, I should be able to do it. Same with a car. I don't know how to fix it, but if my car makes a car technician want to kill himself, something's wrong.

I know how to replace shit in my laptop, that's also part of the reason I chose it.

>bluetooth headphones
one more thing to charge, necessitating another cable/charger on me
>USB hubs
One more thing to carry around.

What we lose by making laptops slimmer, we gain by needing all these other bullshit accessories.

most of them aren't poorfags who never upgrade their stuff.

Okay, so we kill the resale value of everything? If I buy a laptop, am I expected to give it away for free or throw it away when I'm done with it? How often do I upgrade? Every 3 years? 5 years?

Being a poorfag and having good tecb doesn't need to go hand in hand. Poorfags buy iPhones, iPads just as a wealth status. It is not a sound investment, not by a long shot.

I'm going to an X260 soon. My X200 will get some small SSD and get sold or handed down to someone in my family who could use it.

Upgrading something and "buying thing 2.0 because thing 1.0 was the same but broke" is retarded.

My T480s is much thinner than my T520 and I appreciate that. It makes it a much nicer machine to haul around and use.

OH NO HOW WILL I POSSIBLY LUG AROUND A LAPTOP ANY THICKER THAN A BOOKMARK

This.

I remember back in the 90's nobody could leave their house because their Nokia's were too thick.
People starved to death unable to buy groceries.

>Why are normies so obsessed with thin computers/smartphones/whatever?

They aren't. It is the companies who are pushing something that no one really cares about.

there are individuals unlike yourself that actually leave their houses and don't fester in mums basement.

The biggest reason for lighter and thinner technology is for portability and ease of access. contrary to popular belief, battery life isn't that bad once you know exactly what you want and what you will be using said device for. Not everyone is gayming or playing romance simulators everytime they open their computer so keyboards don't have to have rgb and fancy switches if all ur doing is taking notes and showing slideshows.

test2

No, it makes no sense when you are traveling.
Battery life is king then you travel, not saving the space of one T-shirt in your bag.

Because they were told to be

Energizer's got your back

Attached: The 'Thicc Boi'.jpg (728x485, 42K)

There is a point of diminishing returns. The point where you'd rather not get something thinner just for the sake of space. I'd love to see something as thick as my X220. Imagine what could be done at that size! With modern hardware, it might just be insanely fast and battery life would be DAYS!

It's purely a fashion thing.
But consumers will tell themselves they need it for "portability", just like they buy SUV's for "going off-road and living life to the max Yo!"

>But I don't know how to repair my devices, I can just take it to a technician.

No technician is going to repair the Surface Laptop

You basically need to toss it out and purchase a new one

Which is bad for the environment

Faget

>Repairability
It's one fucking board, do you think there are connectors inside? Changeable battery is only possible repair, but I don't think there is SPACE in there for soldering humans are capable of, that may be the reason, have you ever seen parts of unrepairable phone?

What about making shit that doesn't brake instead of some repairable misery?

I have replaced a broken headphone jack on my previous phone.
It also had a removable camera.

It can make sense for laptops but its retarded for phones.

They seem to have something against backpacks.
BlackLandWhalePostingAPicOfABackpackOnAGuy.jpg

Absolutely based

>not understanding that more compact technology benefits larger devices as well

I don't want to sound rude but you are autistic as hell dude

It's the other way around.

Phones live in your pocket, thinness prevents your jeans from bulging out.

Laptops are generally carried in bags that are >20cm thick.
1 or 2 cm extra thickness doesn't matter one bit.

It doesn't matter how good the components are. Eventually, it will break. That's why repairability is important.

The technology isn't thinner.
They just reduce cooling capacity and battery size.

The answer is in the question user ... Normies are, we'll just as you said : normies. But to me, the fact that it is an important issue to you in the first place tells me you either don't work or you are a retarded NPC.
>Reeeeeee normalfags
You don't know shit, install Gentoo you fucking loser.

Attached: 22s5y9.jpg (274x407, 33K)

I still don't know why Apple removed the headphone jack apart from wanting to make a thinner phone. Like what a fucking retarded move.

>inb4 airpods
for anyone that cares about sound quality that's a fucking retarded idea too.

They are not obsessed with thinness/lightness. They are obsessed to Apple products. The competitors are mindless zombie, just copying Apple in every way possible. Thus, shitty products flood the market.

Thin phone, thin jeans, thin penis.

I'm still waiting for the reviews to come in but that thing definitely intrigues me.

For only £515 that thing is god-tier

They're not really, they put cases on anything anyway so they all end up fat in the end

A lot of current 13" laptops now fit a 13" display into the same form factor as your 11" MBA

>t. woman

Even if you can't repair your shit the guy at the local repair shop probably can, and he'll charge less than the Genius Bar(tm) for his services.
Why are normies so dense?

Oh it works, which means that it works well...
Home Depot should stop selling hammers. Rocks work fine.

Those individuals sound boring based on your description.

I carry around a W520 with a slice battery. It took only 3 days to get used to it.

Because women and faggots are too weak to carry any weight

It's not the consumer. Manufacturers like thin devices because they break more easily and are harder for the user to repair themselves. It breaks down to them making money and us as users suffering.

because these people know far more about technology then you do because the thinner the laptop the more sophisticated it is unlike your ancient piece of trash

Don't forget that because it is pushed, it becomes desired and because of that, people demand it without knowing why.

SUVs are actually a good comparison point. They're absolutely stupid vehicles that have no reason to exist and the people that buy them are idiots. That's the "they actually go outside" crowd that people in this thread are talking about. Those people don't need flimsy computers that are clearly just fashion statements (for the couple of years that they last).

That's because most normies are basedgoys or roasties whose ability carry anything over 1 kg ( 2.2 pounds for you amerifags ) is highly doubtful. I used to carry Neural networks and Artificial intelligence books coupled with equipment totalling 9 kg (19 pounds roughly) everyday from class to class, and the damn classes were blocks apart. Nowadays, carrying a LG gram is probably too heavy for the onions infused fags. God I hate them.

I don't think you described anyone with your generalizations. You suck at this.

Suvs can hold a family and their things comfortably.

>can't get past the onion filter
sooiii boi confirmed

Dude if you're crying about 20 pounds I think you're the weakling.

Yo no onions marinero
Yo no onions marinero
Onions capitan
Onions capitan
Onions capitan

So can a minivan, which is safer, cheaper, more reliable, and is actually what most SUV owners actually need.

Actually scratch that, "holding the whole family and their things" isn't something that most SUV owners actually do with their vehicle. Even a regular sized car would be equal to them and better for them, they just WANT the SUV.

Not really. But the fact they won't even carry that much makes me mad. When I used to go camping, we'd carry 40-60 pound bags and hike for miles. Nowadays, people just throw it in a truck and maybe walk 100 m off trail. People should exercise more.

Suvs are not magical. They're trucks. They're not less reliable or less safe.

SUVs are not trucks, trucks are trucks. SUVs use some truck parts, but are not trucks. Trucks are much more long lasting, which is why they retain their value more than SUVs for resale. Also SUVs are always the worst vehicles for safety, especially concerning role-overs.

This was all ESPECIALLY true when SUVs hit the market and idiots bought them in droves.