So this, is the power of gentoo

So this, is the power of gentoo...
I'm this close to wipe everything. Installing is easy and documented but apparently I can fuck myself if I want a gui

Attached: 20190304_223349.jpg (1491x1080, 686K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2016/07/why-does-kwin_wayland-not-start/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

MOM! CANCEL MY APPOINTMENTS!

Attached: kys.png (1465x952, 796K)

>doesn't know how to use Gentoo
pottery

Seriously tho, I'm going to install fedora but I'm worried about kde on it.
Why is this distro so fucking shilled? Installing makes you learn nothing and everything is a pain in the ass.
I can't believe I got memed this hard

Attached: dogwithbeestungnose.jpg (355x236, 47K)

lmao git gud kid. Install NixOS

It was my understanding that, after having manually ticked the correct modules for the kernel, downloading and compiling kde for more than an hour, added exec startkde to .xinit, installed xterm, I could type startx and get a GUI.
But no you see that would be too easy, instead they're just going to give me a black screen, a problem that other people seem to have but don't bother to post the solution on the forums

You fell for the overcomplicated autistic pseudo intellectual Gentoo meme.
Just play it safe and get Ubuntu or some shit. It may be botnetted but at least it ain't retarded like this shit.

I had Ubuntu before but hated the package manager. I use fedora xfce on my laptop and love it but I want kde on my desktop

Use Fedora and install KDE?

Should have sticked to Clover faggot. You're too much of a fucking brainlet otherwise.

Attached: 1551601715792.jpg (600x560, 68K)

Honestly, my best experience with a rolling release distro and KDE has been antergos and selecting kde during installation. Barring that, if you don't mind some outdated packages, kde neon is nice (just avoid the development branches, even the "stable" one, they're nothing but trouble if you just want your system to work and not have to fix shit)

apprently you did something wrong
obviously you have a gui and are running xwindows just no panel so you freak out like a bitch instead of just initiating it

>startx
>not using a DM
baka desu fampai
Additionally there is no one size fits all solution because you could have fucked up literally anywhere.

Imagine actually installing Gentoo.
Not even the creator likes it.

No see, I followed the handbook to a T, and now I'm left with that screen and there's absolutely no documentation regarding that not are there any people having the same problem. It's completely fucked, it's not "only the panel"

First start, Id like to use a DM after I've had things working once. I'll just install antergos

RedHat is the one dictacting what the userspace is like and all distros that matter cucks out for them like little bitches, making all distros the same, only with different package managers.
honestly though, if you aren't going to use gnome (which is also RedHat's little baby), go for a different distro that cares about the DE of your choice, i.e. either KDE neon or opensuse.
keep in mind that you should not be using linux if you give a crap about security.
Clover is trash

The problem is that you don't have all of KDE installed. It seems like you're missing the actual plasma desktop and just have the base KDE package of KWin and not much else. That's one of the annoying things about Gentoo; you get just the absolute bare bones and have to install all of the extra packages yourself.

Honestly, if you're on limited disk space, an older machine, or cry about everything being 'bloat' then Gentoo is great, but for people that aren't autistic and buying outdated hardware for no other reason than to feel like a special snowflake, gentoo is a timesink that isn't worthwhile in any way. There's absolutely no benefit to compiling each package yourself on a modern machine with plenty of disk space.

>You fell for the overcomplicated autistic pseudo intellectual Gentoo meme.
You misunderstand the meme. It's so anons get used to RTFM instead of asking dumb fucking questions that they would have known answers to if they RTFM.

You're already past the hardest part. At this point what you're doing is as hard as setting up Debian Net-install.

What is reading a manual you fucking idiot?
If you'd read the manual you'd know what genkernel is and then configuring and compiling your kernel would take 10 minutes total.

I did emerge something/kde-plasma which supposedly gives me everything

Didn't use genkernel, I used the recommended Manuel install.

This website, found with a quick google check, shows a potential fix. A missing env variable.
blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2016/07/why-does-kwin_wayland-not-start/

I hope you aren't trying to run plasma wayland on a nvidia driver. I hope you aren't trying to run anything wayland on a nvidia driver.

Why would you even use wayland. You can secure x manually and it has way better support and performance. Wayland won't be ready for another ten years or so.

The manual itself states how to use genkernel you inbred. Why do you need to configure your kernel yourself are you running it on hardware you developed yourself in your Uzbek laboratory underground??

>you only get what you want not more bloat
>annoying thing

I think the problem is that he installed plasma-desktop instead of kde-meta. When I installed gentoo, I didn't had this problem

Attached: Desktop.png (1366x768, 535K)

You already have a gui running but now try to start a wayland session under an x session. Are you some kind of retarded? This has nothing to do with your kernel you are just mentally retarded.

Put "startkde" into your .xinitrc then run startx from a tty.

And for the love of god stop using wayland. Wayland won't be ready in five years.

Why would I use Wayland?

How do I even know if I'm using Wayland? I've never been prompted for anything

genkernel is stated as an alternative on the handbook, look it up. By now I know the handbook by heart ,I've read it multiple times waiting for my shit to compile.

Ok I might be retarded but where does it say I'm using wayland