ITT:

times Jow Forums got btfo

Attached: Screenshot_20190304_161208.png (927x181, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hn.algolia.com
businesswire.com/news/home/20180220006674/en/Hagens-Berman-Federal-Judge-Upholds-Emissions-Cheating-Claims
jeremykun.com/2013/05/04/categories-as-types/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

he's not even right

I don't need real-world programming experience to realize that running an entire fucking web browser is inefficient compared to a simple command line tool using miller bars for framing data. What a fucking tool.

Fuck I meant Miller columns though a miller bar sounds like a place you could meet hot single women in your area.

What kind of person writes this shit?

For all of history bad programmers blame their users.
>it's not inefficient, just buy more hardware
>resources not used on my program exclusively are wasted resources
>why shouldn't I be able to use a prototyping language and framework in production?
>if you don't like my program maybe you're the problem

The developer for the electron shitheap called Nuclear. It was posted here a month ago or so and was hazed because the program barely fucking worked and still used upwards of 1gb of ram.

I guess this counts maybe

Attached: 1376960523534.png (1239x712, 201K)

Oof.

S A V A G E

Geez. I lasted so long here that instead of having children, I'm now surrounded by children.

Its because software is now either open source (so freeloaders dont have a say) or developed by monopolistic megacorps (so users still dont have a say).

Which means you can write software that basically insults their intelligence with inferior software like a glorified IRC client that takes 1/8 of their RAM. We are literally regressing.

>1GB for a music player
I refuse to believe any of this is necessary.
If you want to write your UI in HTML, that's completely fair, but why is electron so fucking bad at this. Where is the competition?
Is this not just literally mapping XML to native widgets? The JS interpreter should either not exist at all or be transpiled.

What is the justification for embedding a standalone instance of a browser when everyone has one anyway. Not just spawn a server and use the existing browser like tons of other people do.

based

Attached: 1495399072842.png (800x800, 225K)

What do you think about the last statement?

kek absolutely based

Rose tinted glasses.

It's true in general, but Electron is the exception since there are concrete reasons to dislike it as the end user

>it just werks

Attached: 1535280006978.png (1558x229, 66K)

>reddit

it’s hacker news you retard

is that even any better?

same difference, libtard

Hacker news is an even bigger shithole than reddit. They actively delete content that they don't want to see and don't even justify it.

so in other words Electron has attracted all the retard devs we don't want from the mobile and web worlds back to the desktop, where they're proceeding to shit it up with the garbage "apps" that they write?

Don't like it? Don't use it. Better yet, make a better one in C++ and QT (the only real competitor to desktop app frameworks)
Don't like that? Make your own framework for GUI libraries. You know, if you can even write anything past fizzbuzz

Yes, as the guy that posted the screenshot above, I agree Hacker News is a fucking abomination of pedantic navel gazing drivel. *However* 1 in 1000 comments there are solid fucking gold. Never browse the site proper, just go to hn.algolia.com and search specifically for whatever's on your mind and skim until you find that solid gold comment/thread. Then promptly leave.

Attached: 1550376589285.png (1017x1301, 216K)

Electron is fine for huge shit that would kill memory anyway, like VS Code. It's the most retarded idea ever for a fucking music player. There's a million music players, and the best ones were written twenty years ago.

>tfw unironically learn the shit Jow Forums autists hate to get easy money

But Discord doesn't use 4GB of RAM.

pretty much
that was probably written by someone who started with computers on a smartphone

Here's another fairly insightful HN comment about Electron

Attached: 1522329732800.png (1632x408, 117K)

But then you wouldn't be able to use the same codebase to produce a web app version for people who don't want to install bloated software and prefer to use slower clunky versions in their browser.

I agree mostly that most people have no clue what the fuck they are doing so they build an identity around their chosen shit but Electron is just objectively bad. Also the guy sounds like a total tool.

>criticize some programming language an SJW happens to support
>LOLOL INCEL CODECEL LOLOLOLOL
>mfw software engineer at General Motors
>SJW hangs out in starbucks and make a couple commits on github about how 'master/slave' terminology is problematic

But from his reasoning electron is even more shit. HTML is 26yo, css is 22, javascript is 23.

This is why I stopped reading the front page on github

I know nothing about his project and don't care what he uses to make it.
I care about his passive aggressive attitude. Why would I want to support a faggot like that?

That's projection. There's examples of every popularly hated language and framework in both production and hobby use.

>software engineer at General Motors
Kek
businesswire.com/news/home/20180220006674/en/Hagens-Berman-Federal-Judge-Upholds-Emissions-Cheating-Claims

That last line is true though. Good engineers make decisions based on logic and practical concerns, not identity signalling.

That's from the shit spotify wraparound that doesn't work and crash constantly?

The problem is that retard users won't complain enough or switch from developers being bonehead retarded using Electron and will use anything as long as it gets the work done even because alternatives don't exist when everyone hops onto the train of "we need to have the first mover's advantage" so everything gravitates towards being a slow bloated mess. If they get told you can't have 60 fps refresh in your shitty electron app and it eats 80% of your RAM and pegs your CPU at 60% constantly, they'll accept it. Truly sad.

the difference between an electric car and electron is that electron sucks

the absolute state of software development, how did we let it go so bad. wtf happened

Jow Forums can't be btfo except possibly by Hiro.

That's just gnu-cultists being told to go away/calm their autism, not Jow Forums.

Electron apps already include a server + browser + system access library + application specific code/resources. The problem being then it just runs in a browser with restrictive system access depending on the server, no native open dialog for instance.
Really a application similar to microsoft's html applications that installs the electron framework so then just the app specific code for each app would be distributed would be a better solution. Then you would have version conflicts.

Java (and it's Swing library) has been around for more than a decade - not that these retards would know

Electron is the latest multiplatform garbage pushed on us by idiots who can't code naitive apps.

It's like Adobe Air all over again.

Swing isn't hip and inclusive enough because it requires thought and isn't material design garbage.

Swing has themes

I don't think you realize how low effort silicon valley retards are. Also don't argue with trips unless you're prepared to bring your own.

Miller lite ale house user

I don't even know what that is.

You're retarded. "Prototypes" always become real loads on real servers.

xulrunner has been shit for ages and that's basically the same thing as electron.

>resources not used on my program exclusively are wasted resources
This statement has validity in some cases. Although in those cases the user should be able to easily allocate as much resources as they wish.

It's only valid in cases of professional applications like CAD software, video editing software, or perhaps even photo editing software.

For shit like a music player, it's totally unacceptable. A music player should be as small as possible so that it can be used at the same time as the aforementioned software. A music player should require no more than a tiny amount of ram so that it doesn't interfere with the operation of CAD software.

>unrelated note
how is it unrelated?
>Electron
Why would someone use javascript for anything other than aesthetics in a browser? Enjoy your catastropic bugs and heavier cost of management.
Want to know something interesting? I'm able to use a raspberry pi to do all my school work. I use less than 850mb of RAM for all my email, browser, etc. Plus I don't deal with bugs. Everyone else is using $1400+ computers to do the same task. It's not slow at all and has no negative impacts. This is the joys of working with good software.

I use emacs at work because I'm trapped in an abusive relationship with it but my colleagues who use vscode seem happy with it. Emacs seems slower and I've not got many packages installed.

Attached: wisecat.jpg (403x403, 53K)

I just wish you could individually allocate the maximum amount memory/processing each program can use. There's quite a few instances I can think of where I don't really care if an application is running like shit and using the page file frequently, it just needs to be there. Although I have difficulty using 100% of my ram anyways so I stopped caring as much as I did 10 years ago.

I agree though, data collection/telemetry and pointless visual effects basically defeated the point of how much our hardware improved. Instead of being able to do the same things faster, we had to get better computers to do the same things a little bit slower or risk not being able to do them at all.

>Enjoy your catastropic bugs and heavier cost of management
look up TypeScript
100x times better than any C++ shit

Spoken like a person who lacks real world programming experience and can't even make a simple gui

>highly polarized opinions about languages and frameworks are characteristic.. building an identity than creating computer programs

How times have changed.

Attached: 1524161021898.jpg (720x1280, 155K)

>native
>Cocoa/WPF
damn
in 15 years electron will count as native.

My favorite part about TypeScript is that the type system is so Fisher Price that it has no possibility of finer sizes than 'number', even though DataView and exist for working with signed and unsigned 8/16/32 sizes and the like. If you want to make sizes part of your interface, you're back to runtime checks like a chump. There have been multiple GitHub issues opened discussing this, but nothing has or likely will go anywhere.

Professional stuff for professional people.

It takes a lack of programming skills to use Electron in the first place.

Is there any good language that provides a solid type system based on set theory?

Only americans, trannies and women see and care about politics and religion in their software and tools. The rest of the world uses it like it was meant to, to aid human beings do their tasks more efficiently.

Attached: 1543353347670.jpg (267x323, 7K)

no

ML and its related dialects (OCaml, Concurrent ML and yes, even Haskell is a distantly related dialect) all offer a system based on polymorphic lambda calculus and a type system that is relatable to category theory:

jeremykun.com/2013/05/04/categories-as-types/

Category theory does subsume set theory, so close enough.

I would rather use something written with Electron than Swing. Swing is garbage.

Languages that utilize HoTT when? Languages that utilize CubicalTT when?

lol you kidder

based and redpilled

>people with opinions lack real-world programming experience
ok