Linux gaming

store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

WTF is this?
Why aren't you guys using Linux full-time for work, internet, and vidya?
It's like you WANT to be microcucks.

Attached: 1462481010172.jpg (1920x1080, 294K)

Other urls found in this thread:

protondb.com/app/292030
youtube.com/watch?v=pcCJSm3IoMY
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gaming-eojan-2019
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Installation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because linux is gay lol

I plan to next time I feel like reloading my OS.
Some of those are possibly VMs by people doing gpu passthrough.

>23% of steam users using Linux
actually pretty damn impressive

a lot of games are native on steam, and shit like factorio runs perfectly on linux. as long as you're not trying to play some shitty AAA console port, it's probably there.

Attached: 1000 science per minute.jpg (2000x1600, 727K)

Personally I will keep a Windows gaymen PC around as long as shit like wine doesn't work easily with minimal tweaking for older games. Cause I don't give a shit about modern bullshit that might or might not come with Linux support out of the box but old games will not get native support anytime soon.

Also
>Intel has 2/3 the market share AMD has

Attached: 9c8.jpg (499x499, 130K)

Idk when I last tried to play games on Linux (mid 2016), CSGO and Dota 2 (dunno if you'd consider these AAA) both ran like dogshit on the steam binary, this was ubuntu 16.04 too.

maybe it was just mesa/nvidia problems though

funnily enough League of Legends ran pretty well under WINE though

looks like the average linux PC is twice as powerful as the average windows PC, windows really is for china/BR

user 23% of all Linux users on Steam use Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS 64 bit.
All Linux flavours combined account for 0.77% of all Steam users.

thanks, i'm retarded

Attached: 1548922390232.jpg (812x1024, 61K)

Honestly I just noticed because I fiddled around with the settings and noticed it accidentally.

It's not 2016 anymore, user.
I've been gaymen exclusively on Linux ever since Steam came out natively and things have only gotten better since.
Consider giving it another look-- remember, there's no pressure: it's literally free.

>Consider giving it another look-- remember, there's no pressure: it's literally free.
Yeah, I use Linux as my work OS and get annoyed with having to dual boot into Windows 10 for gaming, so maybe I'll try it out again.

>Why aren't you guys using Linux full-time for work, internet, and vidya?
Fuck you, I am.

>Consider giving it another look-- remember, there's no pressure: it's literally free.

If your time is worthless.

Loonix is shit, just single boot windows already.

I've been using it as my primary gaming OS for a while. I only have an R9 270X so for some games I have to switch to Windows, like The Witcher 3, Battletech, and Soul Calibur 6. I COULD play those games in Linux on lowest settings but fuck that.

Most of the games I buy just have Linux support natively. The only native game that runs poorly is Battletech.

>2019
>not dual booting

I'm planning to for my next build

Battletech runs natively and ProtonDB suggests The Witcher 3 runs the same as the Windows version: protondb.com/app/292030

What is this, the fucking Republic Of Gay? Fuck this shit.

saged

I just said Battletech runs poorly natively.

My performance issue with all three games is that AMD drivers are obsolete for the card so I'm forced to either use an old version of Linux or use Mesa drivers.

My card can barely handle TW3 in Windows in the first place.

You know, funnily enough, BATTLETECH runs even worse on windows in my experience. Load times are definitely longer.

Wait, why aren't you using mesa?

Which AMD driver are you using? Because the open source AMDGPU driver perform much better than the proprietary one.

I do tho. I just wish I could play resident evil 2 remastered on linux.

>NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 0.39%
what the fuck rtx bros????????

The load times are much better in Linux. Even skipping movies is faster somehow.

The actual in-game framerate is halved for me, however.

I am using Mesa.

Obsolete, does not work with the current version of my distro.

I've been playing it with proton with about the same performance. You do need to install mfplat dlls to get it to play the intro/advance past a certain point. Other than that, I've beaten both scenarios for both characters without issues.

youtube.com/watch?v=pcCJSm3IoMY

Battletech is actually a pretty great game (runs fine on a GTX 1060). It can crash sometimes if you leave it running for long enough, but other than that, no issues for me.

I tried playing League on Wine and it would crash everytime I pressed Alt.

Might try again, that was probably 2015 or 16.

>try MAME in Arch
>the stable, non-aur package is broken
what the fuck? it keeps forgetting my bindings but if i ignore the wrapper script they have it works but other shit is still broken

The Linux build of the game has no memory leak and doesn't crash after a while.

>I am using Mesa
Well that right there is your problem, man.
I wish Mesa and open source drivers were awesome, but they just aren't quite there yet.
Nvidia's binary drivers are rock solid and vastly outperform the open source equivalents.
AMD... well AMD's open source drivers aren't that bad these days and I work with a guy who's running a Vega 64 over thunderbolt 3 from his laptop using the open source drivers. But I haven't been an AMD guy for a long time so I don't know much about that stuff.

Yup, and that's why I dualboot.

I'm not sure I believe AMD when they say their current cards will have good linux support. They gave up after two years last time.

I'm not really sure that's true. I've been running mesa for a while now and my RX 480 performs about what it should when looking at benchmarks of similar cards like the gxt 1060. It's been a rock solid experience for me for the last few years and vulkan has made things even more competitive.

And it's not like Nvidia is painless on Linux either. I talk to a lot of nvidia users and they complain about driver bugs, especially on the desktop, and they're not that great with things like wayland. Not to mention that they sometimes take a while to make compatible drivers for newer kernels. 5.0 doesn't have support yet. Historically though, yeah, they were the best choice for a while.

Mesa is very hit or miss. Some software just runs better than others with it.

It's .23 you retard

Are you fucking retarded or do you still have cum in your eyes? It's 0.77%.

Nah, it's not hit or miss so long as you're on a recent version. for example, look at these benchmarks: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gaming-eojan-2019

The cards perform more or less proportionate to how they'd work on windows.

He looked at the .23 you retarded gorilla nigger

And that's still wrong you inbred imbecile discount basedboy.

I get waaay worse performance whenever particle effects or certain shaders are used.

Maybe it's because newer cards have actual open source drivers for comparison.

No shit Sherlock. Glad you could finally figure that out you glow in the dark nigger basedboy.

Jesus Christ go back to HQ the company doesn't like their niggers to shitpost while they are supposed to hunt down Terry. You transnigger.

Republic Of Gay
saged

those (mesa) drivers are the same for every card that's GCN (radeonsi/amdgpu are literally the same thing). If you're the rx 270x guy, then your card is first gen GCN as well. The issue here might be that you need the kernel drivers (confusingly also called AMDGPU) to be enabled via a kernel parameter. Assuming you're not running an ancient kernel (before 4.something), try radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1

oh and you may have to blacklist the radeon module in favor of the new amdgpu one. This explains it better: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Installation

literally the only game i care about working doesn’t work at all in linux. if it did work, i’d leave windows behind

I personally value my free time higher than to fiddle around for possibly hours on end with no solution to get a game to hopefully work because it isn't naively supported, or fiddle around to find out that it runs like shit.

Wow! Get a load of this bad ass everyone!
He's so all about business he ain't got time to play!
Look out! Yessir, this guy right here is the most productive human being on the planet. Shit, I wish I could work as hard as you, man. How do you do it? I guess that's a dumb question huh? I should really be working right now if I want to be as awesome as you, right?

Look, faggot. The fact you're even here posting on this Chinese paper doll forum proves you waste more time than the average person. Don't pretend like you're too cool for any of this.
You're not an ubermensch who has his shit all in order-- you're a lazy faggot who takes the easy road of plug and play on winblows. You're probably even a consolefag aren't you? Why don't you fuck off an go play madden or something.

I do have a Linux gaming machine, actually. I just seldom play games because life is suffering and I don't enjoy anything anymore.

What a loser.

says the redditspacer

>Mama look at me I am so cool for choosing le super secret loonix club and choosing to make things intentionally harder for myself than they have to be! I am so enlightened, you are all retards for using wangblows haha! Oh Mama soon is the year of the loonix desktop I feel it! Who needs this damned thing called usability anyways!

you sound really butthurt

What a loser.

>haha he replied so butthurt lol

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

maybe a decade from now you freetards will reach 1%

Attached: loonix.png (391x586, 29K)

Tried it for a year, and I seriously wanted to stay but you can't play games with that Battle Eye shit and alike, also games like GTA had an update that disabled online access, and performance sucks, The Witcher 3 usually gives me smooth 60 fps and on linux got from 34 up to 50 with lower settings. I'll follow proton development but for the meantime I have Windows again on my gaming pc.

i played csgo and dota2 back in 2014/15 and they ran great. csgo was always over 250fps.

My internet is unusably slow under Linux, I can't even download a game to test
I refuse to use it until it just werks

Tried running fallout new vegas on ubuntu, didnt work so its a no-go from me

Pathetic

PEBCAK

>>>/Plebbit/

On average Linux gets 5x network performance of Windows, definitely PEBCAK

/thread

Its probably the price that causes such a low number

I TRIED SO HARD
AND GOT SO FAR