Suggestions on 4k security camera systems

Need a security camera system for home. there has been bunch of B&E in our area, so I'm looking for about 6 cameras.

Am I better off picking a system "in a box" from Costco or should I just get an NVR and build my system from scratch? Any experts on the subject?

Attached: image.jpg (748x676, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

2mcctv.com/blog/2016_10_13-how-much-security-camera-resolution-do-i-really-need/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

run the coax or poe and use a kit if you want and just keep it off of the internet. alternatively get some hikvisions or simiar, run the lines and build something such as blue iris.

The costco inbox are shit IMHO. It depends on what your house situation is but I'd go with an NVR with POE cameras.

>just keep it off of the internet.
Why is that? I’m not intending to install any cameras inside, so I really don’t care if someone can view my backyard. Or should I care?

My suggestion is simple.

You don't need 4k for a home security setup.

someone viewing your backyard would know when you leave and enter your house

What would be the resolution you’d suggest? 2K?

720p or 1080p is fine.

4k would be a pain in the ass to handle. Huge file size, a lot more expense, etc.

The benefit for a home security setup just isn't there, your house isn't fort knox.

>your house isn't fort knox
You don't Jow Forumsnow that

I'm sure.

At least you're not as retarded as the guy last week that wanted to buy ~20 some odd cameras for his interior and exterior of his house.

Seriously, there is little to no benefit to you in getting a 4k security system vs 1080p.

The police don't give a fuck for basic breaking and entering, 4k video of the event isn't going to magically make them do their job any more than the 1080p video would.

Here is everything my cameras can see, and when I'm home. Now that's higher level than most crack heads but it's still not safe.

2560p cameras are about the same as 1080p in terms of price and you'd get much clearer shots of dudes faces

Lmao, you think a clean picture of the guys face will make a difference?

Maybe in kidnapping, rape, or murder.

But if someone is robbing you, the police will glance at the video, and continue not doing a damn thing about it.
They've got weed busts to get to.

Fair point.
It would be nice to capture the license plate of the odd asshole stealing your packages from the porch. Would 1080p be sufficient?

Most security setups are 480p or 720p

1080p is already considered very good for a security camera.

Yes, 1080p should be sufficient.

And again, the police don't care if you've got a video of someone stealing packages off your porch, even with a plate and face. It's just not something they care about in 99% of cases. They've got other shit to do.

Yeah... I doubt someone sophisticated enough to gain access to my camera feed would be a bigger threat that The «vibrant youth» breaking my patio door to steal my 6 years old blue ray player.

2mcctv.com/blog/2016_10_13-how-much-security-camera-resolution-do-i-really-need/

tldr;
4k NVRs rarely support more than a handful of cameras at 4k res, full 4k NVRs can run you $500-1000 without the cost of cameras easily. And that's just for something basic with 4 or 8 cameras.

>"in a box" from Costco
Those Costco/Sam's/BJ's/etc kits are junk. They usually carry brands like Digital Watchdog and Night Owl. Neither are robust or feature rich.

8mp 4k IP cameras are going to start around $160 US a piece and expect them to be fixed lens. Tack on another $40 or so for bullet camera's with manually adjusted zoom/focus. Expect to spend more than that if you want your zoom/focus controlled at the DVR/NVR. No matter what when everything is installed you're going to need a friend on hand to help with fine tuning and adjustment. Those portable CCTV viewers all blow. So does going solo back and forth from the monitor to the camera tweaking it little by little. Don't bother climbing up the ladder with a tablet in one hand and screwdriver in the other (oh, get a bit driver with security bits!) - network delay makes fine tuning suck. Save yourself a headache, money and time and buy a friend a 12 pack or something.

Anyway plan out your build, consider spending extra on a unit that supports more channels than you're initially planning for so you can add more cameras later if you decide to without having to buy a new DVR. They're typically sold in 4, 8, 16 and 32 channel models so if you're wanting six cameras you'll be getting an 8 channel unit with 2 spares left over.

If you end up going with more basic coax cameras get and run "siamese" cable (combined 18/2 power + RG59 signal). You'll need a power supply with at least as many outputs as you have cameras. Altronix is a common brand. Most camera's now are dual-voltage (12vdc/24vac) but if you get cameras that are only one or the other make sure you have the correct power supply.

If you're going with PoE run Cat5e and look into what kind of power the NVR is putting out. Some NVR's only provide so many PoE ports and expect you provide injectors or a PoE switch if you exceed that. You want to make sure you can sufficiently power the IR LEDs for low-light conditions.

cont'd
You can ramp up quality at the cost of framerate. Technically you don't have to drop the framerate down either but that comes at the cost of depleting storage space faster. A good DVR will tell you, based upon your framerate & quality settings, an estimated total record time.

Other things to consider are when to record. Never set them up to record 24/7 unless you've some weird reason to justify it. To save space utilize in-built "record on motion" settings. A good DVR/NVR will let you record only when it sees motion and it'll let you adjust the sensitivity of the motion detection. It'll let you mask out unwanted bullshit so a camera isn't recording every time a breeze blows through a bush in the corner of it's field of view.

Get a ip cam I have a nest it's great

I buy from supercircuits.com. PoE is easy. If you don't want to bother with wires, Blink makes some interesting wireless cameras (WiFi and lithium batteries).

security cameras won't help you with the police in any way.
they can however help on insurance claims.
the police will not give a shit even if the guy shows the camera his id and social security and 2 pieces of proof of residence.

unless of course he stole your weed from your back yard.

to put it bluntly you're not going to get your stuff back unless you intend to do it personally. B&E events are completely ignored for the average citizen.

Also does help to sketch a rough draft of your house and plan cameras around to see how effective they might be to monitor your land/interior. Generally try to have cameras overlooking all entrances to the home and any low hanging fruit points of entry (Windows)
I personally recommend Hikvision equipment if possible. Good, robust things they are.
I was going to mention they provide documentation for the HTTP API but it seems particularly buried. However this seems to have changed for the better since their equipment can support ONVIF, a standardization for security devices.
PoE IP Cameras are probably the best choice since you just need to run one cable and won't get the problems of analog suchas BNC cameras.

>more definition on criminals especially at distance is a bad thing because when i have to backup a 30second clip for the police it will be a bit bigger than 1080p

lol dumb fuck

Don't live in a bottom tier neighborhood or a big city. The police in my neighborhood went door to door asking for security footage of some guy who stole change from dozens of cars one night. I don't live in an affluent neighborhood and I also don't live in bumfuck no where where police have nothing better to do.

>security cameras for your home
Uhh, is this an American thing?

Are there any Sec cams that capture at 60fps? Most ive seen are15

Attached: 1551051104059.jpg (640x829, 86K)

Whatever resolution for a camera that also does IR. IR is limited to 480p, but its still useful for making out details, especially if you have to shoot guy.

You guys must live in some shitty areas, B&E's give the cops around here something to do besides write tickets to out of towners and high school students.