Insert Swiss cheese joke ITT

theregister.co.uk/2019/03/05/spoiler_intel_flaw/

>insert Swiss cheese joke ITT

Intel just CANNOT catch a break, huh?

Attached: SPOILER alert, literally Intel CPUs afflicted with simple data-spewing spec-exec vulnerability • T (1232x740, 282K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/pdf/1903.00446.pdf
lineageos.org/
youtu.be/IfHG7bj-CEI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>...This security shortcoming can be potentially exploited by malicious JavaScript within a web browser tab, or malware running on a system, or rogue logged-in users, to extract data: in other words, attacker would require some kind of foothold in your machine to proceed. The vulnerability, it appears, cannot be easily fixed or mitigated without significant redesign work at the silicon level...

>...The researchers also examined ARM and AMD processor cores, but found they did not exhibit similar behavior.

>"We have discovered a novel microarchitectural leakage which reveals critical information about physical page mappings to user space processes," the researchers explain.

>"The leakage can be exploited by a limited set of instructions, which is visible in all Intel generations starting from the 1st generation of Intel Core processors, independent of the OS and also works from within virtual machines and sandboxed environments."...

Nobody cares, these vulnerabiltieis are only useful against big companies, I'm not important for someone to hack me personally

Found the Intel shill.

You're a brainlet if you think this doesn't have implications on the average user.

>SPOILER, the researchers say, will make existing Rowhammer and cache attacks easier, and make JavaScript-enabled attacks more feasible – instead of taking weeks, Rowhammer could take just seconds. Moghimi said the paper describes a JavaScript-based cache prime+probe technique that can be triggered with a click to leak private data and cryptographic keys not protected from cache timing attacks.

Attached: 1533186154813.png (571x618, 29K)

They can't keep getting away with it, seriously.

Still better singlecore perf retard.

DELID AND DELAP THIS SHIT YOU FUCKING GOYIM SCUM

Attached: 1343964088851.png (1196x676, 1.05M)

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Attached: 1515840841704.jpg (691x771, 64K)

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK I JUST WANTED TO BUY A THINKPAD P50!

Attached: 1526471849417.png (600x600, 172K)

> javascript
> something that can be patched to fix the problem
Jow Forumsenius. a big load of absolute fucking nothing.

S-S-S-SAMEFAGGOTRY

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: 003_1543959001877.jpg (882x758, 324K)

Another month, another seriously critical vulnerability, and in a few months another patch takin some 2-5% of performance

Attached: toddlers.png (189x202, 42K)

Attached: 1528796643166.png (758x339, 34K)

You're right, but the solutions will be pushed to the everyman, which means you'll suffer the performance penalties required to fix it.

>AMD chiplets stirring shit

delid dis

Attached: 1544667387109.png (813x1402, 324K)

OYYYY VEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

based and redpilled

Security patches don't matter h-haha

Attached: 1551719292132.jpg (778x960, 123K)

oh yes, screenshots are always convincing, samefagging faggot.

Attached: 1521583755539.png (448x229, 11K)

kys autismo

SAMEFAG
A
M
E
F
A
G

>The researchers also examined ARM and AMD processor cores, but found they did not exhibit similar behavior.
Post yfw you have an AMD chip

Attached: 1364192558445.jpg (366x401, 54K)

you're making this too personal

>regular researchers are now discovering backdoors that alphabet organizations use
>there are people who actually believe that Intel will 'fix' this 'flaw'

DELID DIS YOU STUPID GOY

>tfw still on Intel because Ryzen 3000 hasn't been released yet

Please just end my suffering

Attached: 1506540976763.gif (326x326, 255K)

SOPA

Attached: 1498256245652.jpg (216x250, 30K)

intel? More like, incontinent.

>"So I don't think we will see a patch for this type of attack in the next five years and that could be a reason why they haven't issued a CVE."

I wouldn't buy Intel pozzed garbage even if it was infinitely better for just $1.

Attached: 1549993575509.jpg (1280x720, 131K)

That is why all 8c working chiplets go to epyc until december.

>reveals critical information about physical page mappings to user space processes
>exploited by a limited set of instructions
I love watchin intel burn, but this info leak is a non-issue unless process allocation size is a leak (which any other malware can find out anyway)
on top of that, limited set of instructions seems to imply arbitrary instruction execution needed- such as fuckin running binaries (and that can do worse shit anyway). I doubt an interpreter will be capable of generating the specific instructions needed. Or if the interpreter even ever produces the necessary instruction.
Sure, intel is a buggy mess, but this isn't gonna kill it.

Intel fags on full damage control

Who cares about security patches dude lmoa

We need an iToddlers BTFO equivalent everytime intelaviv drops the ball

intoddlers BTFO

well it's a good thing I use the CommonSense(tm) antivirus, back critical date up and also mostly only game on my intel build so I don't have to worry about obscure cpu flaws. it's cute how amdfags think that their cpu is flawless when in reality they probably have the same type of problems but those hackers are smart enough to keep their mouth shut about them

>literally cope the post

whitepaper:
arxiv.org/pdf/1903.00446.pdf

DELET

Intel's spec-exec is so broken that they're never going to patch all the holes.

>it doesn't matter because the only people it impacts are biliion dollar multinational corporations who buy processors buy tonnage rather than by count

ONE NOTHING WRONG WITH ME
TWO NOTHING
WRONG WITH ME
THREE NOTHING

Attached: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png (380x407, 115K)

>>"The leakage can be exploited by a limited set of instructions, which is visible in all Intel generations starting from the 1st generation of Intel Core processors, independent of the OS and also works from within virtual machines and sandboxed environments."...
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
please god make it stop

Attached: homururuna.jpg (600x600, 74K)

> Intel just CANNOT catch a break, huh?

Intel just CANNOT build secure processors

Change Cores + Frequencies for AMD now.

seeth harder kike

Attached: higher is better.png (1900x900, 19K)

Attached: Screenshot-2018-1-4 Merge branch 'x86-pti-for-linus' of git git kernel org pub scm linu… (980x321, 13K)

Oh no no no no

based and epic rebuttal, user

Knowing details of a process' page table is pretty useful for performing various attacks. This also defeats measures like address space randomization.

At this point, perhaps that's by design. Making mossad's jobs easier, huh?

>Chip architecture fixes may work, they add, but at the cost of performance.
At this rate Intel pozzed garbage will get slower than Bulldozer

>Moghimi doubts Intel has a viable response. "My personal opinion is that when it comes to the memory subsystem, it's very hard to make any changes and it's not something you can patch easily with a microcode without losing tremendous performance," he said.

for over a decade people wondered how intel can outperform the competition with such a big margin.
since 3 years we now know how
and yet their market share is still up, even though all they did in the last couple years was disabling features and replacing their mayonnaise tim.

how is this even possible?

(((Nobody was ever fired for buying Intel))) and other jewish tricks (bribing, smear campaigns falseflagging etc.)

All their performances tricks are surfacing it seems, with all these patches together old CPUs would probably be on par with Bulldozer. Kinda mad because old thinkpads but oh well, whatever.

Attached: 1525492724825.jpg (1032x774, 65K)

just delid it bro lmoa

AMD brainlets still don't understand that all of these "backdoors" are for alphabet gubmint agencies.

That's why Intel hasn't financially crashed with Spectre/Meltdown/whatever, its either you're working with these agencies or you're a rogue threat.

They will crash eventually, anyone with skills can make use of those exploits. Things will get even worse when people start selling malware using those techniques. Even if it's a gubmint-backed exploit it won't affect them in the least

jewish github tricks.

well yeah, they're called intel, duh

Security doesn't matter

OY GEVALT OY VEY WHAT THE FUCK TELL ME AMD IS AFFECTED GOY, TELL ME RIGHT NOW! HAVE THE SHELLS TELL EVERYONE THAT AMD IS AFFECTED FAR WORSE THAN WE ARE!!!!

It depends upon how easy it is to implement the exploit If it is too easy -- a move too AMD might be the best solution to getting the performance you want.

Gald I have been using AMD for over a decade. All machines run AMD in my except for the Dell Server and my Supoer Server.

Why does it always appear that Intel's the processor that has these vulnerabilities. Makes you wonder if they intentionally built these vulnerabilities within the processor from the get go. Continued reason why AMD's eating Intel's lunch. Thank God I use an AMD processor. :)

so glad I'm exclusively on ARM

Chipzilla's performance advantage over the competition may be largely due to cut corners and half-arsed security with regards to memory allocation and organisation? Interesting take-away point if nothing else.

how? are you using rock64? what distro?

How the hell the modern world decided on the worst possible bollocks for the majority of modern computing is dumbfounding.

They make no attempt to hide the cause. "INTEL INSIDE" Get it?

And the matching operating system, Windows, through which to watch.

lineageos.org/

Talos II prices don't look so bad anymore.

arm did have some vuln

>just upgraded my laptop for work
>chose intel over amd, but just barely
god FUCKING damn it

oh of course but all the talented engineers have dumped Intel for arm, arm uses less power(which is politically and socially attractive), arm also is in everyone's pocket, Intel is dieing

It's not like you had a choice: Mobile AMD processors are not a thing.

may I also remind everyone the only real new development coming out of Microsoft(dont sleep on them) is coming via the ARM market

youtu.be/IfHG7bj-CEI

>Intel is said to have been informed of the findings on December 1, 2018.
they're fucked, they have to either throw all sunny cove masks away and try to fix it, or release a knowingly buggy cpu.
Zen 2 can't come soon enough, I'm still on 6700k

somehow "intel inside" has got a new spin

UMA DELICIA

WHEN WILL IT END Jow Forums WHEN WILL IT END!!??

Gotta cut even the basic of security checks for that 0.5% performance, am I bros?

Attached: wintel-suffering.jpg (317x267, 12K)

Is Jow Forums having a database error and posting posts made last year or is it happening again?
> 2010+9
> falling for Intel
Never again

So everyone but 5% of the world will be affected?

Doesn't sound like they're going to do that as it seems like it would take a lot of effort to fix it even in silicon.

Mitigation: Stop using ram and move everything onto swap

so what you're saying is ram doesn't matter? brilliant!

yikes

side channel attacks will always be an issue

Just use older atom processors

>"Intel received notice of this research, and we expect that software can be protected against such issues by employing side channel safe software development practices. This includes avoiding control flows that are dependent on the data of interest. We likewise expect that DRAM modules mitigated against Rowhammer style attacks remain protected. Protecting our customers and their data continues to be a critical priority for us and we appreciate the efforts of the security community for their ongoing research."
Y-you're coding it wrong goys

ARM is only "good" (in the context of portable devices) because it's surrounded by DSPs, fixed function hardware and hardware decoders.
Tell a ARM phone or tablet to actually do something in software and you'll figure out very quickly that it's complete dogshit

I was about to buy a T480, should I actually go for A485?

lmao, im stealing this, thanks

uma delicia
B R A S I L
R
A
S
I
L