What is wrong with game development?

What is wrong with game development?

Attached: 7278133721516720904gol1.jpg (1024x630, 192K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newzoo.com/insights/articles/global-games-market-reaches-137-9-billion-in-2018-mobile-games-take-half/
gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-06-pokemon-go-tops-sales-charts-again-two-years-after-launch
mediakix.com/mobile-gaming-industry-statistics-market-revenue/
cnbc.com/2018/08/31/tencent-hit-by-new-chinese-proposed-restrictions-on-online-video-games.html
cnbc.com/2018/08/16/tencent-shares-178-billion-wiped-off-as-gaming-business-struggles.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you're using Godot

It's really easy to make the same exact game a million times

Game devs aren't real devs, their overpaid designers that couldn't write hello world to save their life. We'll never see another Carmack level innovator.

It's the same problem Hollywood has. Publishers and studios are risk averse, so they are afraid to push the envelope. When they can just push the easy button and rake in 3 billion dollars.

That's because modern engines and games are 10x fucking bigger and more complex you dingus
Even if you wrote everything from scratch and did nothing but program an engine for years, in the end, your code couldn't do nearly as much as something from a AAA studio.
Maybe parts of your code would run better, but you'd still need to each yourself significant amounts of art and design to make an actual game and not some pixely or primitive eyesore few would play.
Back in the 90s and 80s you didn't have 200+ people working on a single game, so it wasn't surprising that one individual could outperform entire companies. Back then, you didn't have people with 25+ years of game dev experience in charge of teams/projects.

The saddest thing is that public projects have been outperforming AAA studios for a while now, just look up OpenMW (entirely rebuilt morrowind engine that's infinitely more stable and has a working MP suite built on top) or Nostalrious's MaNGOS build (MMO server used for WoW emulation that can hold more players at once than blizzard's official servers). The talent exists, but the drive remains in the realm of crowd funding memetics.

>Back in the 90s and 80s you didn't have 200+ people working on a single game
Sounds like they were better at handling bloat

90% of the code in a modern game goes to rendering pretty graphics
you don't need that to make a good game

you aren't developing for mobile... you lost

mobile devs should be put in concentration camps

This too
AAA companies just churn out a new Assassin's creed or whatever every 12-24 months because they know it'll sell. They whip the devs to shit out mediocre, but mostly functional code that has just enough major bugs patched to not generate uproar at launch.

but goy, how else will NVIDIA sell their RTX 2080Tis if it weren't for the real-world immersive graphics?

Too much to list. It's fucked beyond repair and an industry crash is coming.

This right here, I've had more fun playing games from years ago with aged visuals than I have any of the nicest looking titles released as of recent. If dev teams put more effort into building mechanically interesting games as opposed to jamming RTX into everything and blowing 70% of the budget on marketing we'd likely see far more interesting titles that release in a much more stable state. As a side, why can games get away with such buggy releases? Could you imaging if oracle released their DB software in a non-functional state and still charged what they do for it, then never actually fixed it?

meh, just become an indie developer

Fuck. I can't believe it took me this long to realize this. Makes sense though. Why new games run shit like on anything but the newest hardware

You don't, but you need decent graphics for the game to sell.

I dont know, you tell me. What the fuck are you even talking about, OP. The state of the industry? The talent? The technology? Elaborate.

>you need decent graphics for the game to sell.
you might need decent ART but that doesn't mean graphics technology, this isn't the 90s or the 2000s where only cutting edge graphics sell, people like gameplay and will buy good games even if they do look like shit

I just want a first person rpg as well thought out as morrowind
People think I'm crazy that I'd rather go back and try out the new Tamriel Rebuilt release with OpenMW rather than play the new flavor of the month AAA game that everyone will forget about in a few months

this thread made me realize that Jow Forums is where consumers, and not experts, discuss technology

We take the gaming industry dick on the regular because gayms are fun. And we are as retarded a group of consumers as any other when it comes down to it.

Attached: 1551730339971.jpg (552x492, 26K)

Lmao, this is the the thread that did it? Not the 50 gorillion smart phone threads?

you're stupid for ever thinking there were experts here

You should consider gassing yourself user.

Remaking something that already exists is 10 times easier than doing it in the first place, that doesn't prove anything

Not every game is 2d indie shit, and 3d games have to be heavily stylized(cellshading/cartoonish styles) to not be considered awful looking if they're running on outdated tech, which also isn't possible for every genre.

No you don't. You can make barebones 2D pixel art games and push sales. The problem is that you have to make a decent game if you're gonna do that. You can also get great graphics out of old features and code. I mean shit games from fucking ten years ago still look decent today. People know how to develop games at that level of quality and you can optimize that code for todays hardware and get amazing mileage.

Studios like DICE can be on the cutting edge because they can afford to and do so primarily to develop their developers. If you've got a team of a few dozen people and they are first at working with hardware supportered ray tracing in a game, once that game is done, even if the ray tracing is implimented poorly, by the time you're working on a few game you'll have a few dozen developers with experience in working with ray tracing.

One of the best selling games of all time is literally a shit lego clone built in Java that looks like someone had a stroke while using the pencil tool in Photoshop.

It's an incredible amount of work, and there are far better things you could be doing with your time.

Unless by game development you mean copy pasteing unity assets and code, then it's just an art project.

Attached: 1409269792492.png (500x375, 202K)

Most of the time they run like shit on that too. Pretty much every 'game' made in the last decade or so is really only one of three games [read: unreal engine etc.] with various paint jobs applied.

The only people who really know how any of the 99% of what's going on beneath the surface actually works are the developers of the engines... they don't really make games.

Consequently, anything beyond restructuring the order of functions and other trivialities, will ever be done because the game devs knowledge generally ends at the API.

Nothing, aside from how much work it is. If you enjoy it, you should do it.

Surely if some games can get away with it, it must be true for all games.

I could see making an engine for fun, but the thought of having to make an editor to be able to make anything worthwhile turns me away.
Yes, they used to do it without proper tools, but it's fucking miserable. I had to make small scenes and games with OpenGL and Vulcan for university with no tools and fuck ever doing that again.

Nobody gives a shit how you made the game, only that it's fun. This is why people like you would never remotely come close to making anything worthwhile.

Fun is the bottom line, but I think this thread is essentially predicated on the notion that more and more people are finding [modern games] to be not fun-- and the ones that remain fun generally don't require the equivalent of a Cray supercomputer of the early 2000s to run.

Surely if some games cant get away with it, it must be true for all games.

keep eating that ramen peasant

>more and more people are finding [modern games] to be not fun--
That's exclusive to this thread, which is full of 20+ year olds, most of whom don't even play games anymore. Taking their opinion seriously would be a joke.

Video games as an industry has never been better. The fact a single developer can make potentially millions off a supposed 'uncreative' game speaks volumes.

We must destroy the "gamer" "culture" to save the videogame industry

Nobody's arguing that it's difficult to sell shiny shit to children.

You're arguing 'people'(relative to this thread) are finding [modern games] to not be fun, which is entirely false and unfounded.

There is nothing worth saving there. The problem aren't the gamers, they are part of the problem but not the problem. The core of the issue are the publishers and studios. The industry had a crash once before that was desperately needed and now we are at the same point yet again. To save the industry it needs to die again so we can start over fresh.

I guess the OP was about game development rather than the quality of games themselves... though one would wonder why it is phrased in such a way if its meaning was to imply that everything in sunshine and rainbows in video game land.

I'm not saying all games are not fun, I'm saying most of the shit that has huge bloated budgets and development times has slipped in the fun department. I don't think that's an outlandish assertion-

How has it has taken you this long to realise this? Threads like /hpg/ /spg/ etc are just misinformed teenagers doing free marketing.

There is no more starting fresh, it's too late for that. Games make too much money now, they're too popular.

If it ain't mobile you will never make it as an indy dev, PC gaming is dieing, console is all mega corp, Jesus Christ will you people get the fuck out of your basements

You become a slave.

There's a lot of looking around going on right now at AAA dev studios as they realize they're not getting a return on investment for their games that take $60,000,000.00 to develop and another $100,000,000.00 to market.

Do you really believe in too big to fail?
1983 the industry revenues peaked at around $3.2 billion according to Wikipedia, the following year revenue was down to 100 million globally. A crash reducing literally 97% of the entire industry into nothing but thin air.
There is no such thing as too big to fail. The banks in 2007 had the governments to bail them out when they crashed. No one will bail out gaming publishers and developers once they start dropping like flies. Investors will pull out faster than you can say fuck.

>If it ain't mobile you will never make it as an indy dev,
there are tons of indie devs that make it every year though. indie doesn't mean a single person making a game you know.

>If it ain't mobile
you have even less chance making it in the mobile market because it's completely fucking over saturated with absolute dog shit.

>If it ain't mobile
Mobile is literally the hardest market to compete in. Far worse than consoles and not even in the same universe as PC gaming.

Minorities

so develop for a dieing market... yeah makes sense

you can actually make a living as a developer on mobile, even with dog shit as you say

Or do what Konami did and shift focus to pachinko machines. Low cost development, high cost reward. Just makes business sense.

Are you retarded? I don't know about the rest of Jow Forums but the more knowledgeable parts of it are on /dpt/ and /fglt/.

let me rephrase "dieing market" as ever shrinking and there is no consumer growth in the PC sector

Attached: 86E1E9A4-6F67-47C9-B072-360B5CCFBA3F.jpg (1500x1500, 404K)

Did I say that? No I fucking didn't. And Mobile will be the first market to collapse. Consoles will follow suit and AAA gaming on PC is almost dead already so not much will change there.
PCs will survive because gaming is only one of many applications. Consoles might actually die for good this time seeing as they are only locked down glorified PCs already, trying to be more of a PC by the day.

Guis

> dillusional
look basic economics here... convenience always beats x... a full desktop is not convenient , a Nintendo switch is, and furthermore everyone has a gaming system in their pocket, you are stuck with antiquated ideas of what is gaming

>Godot
>falls for everything is a (((class))) meme

>dillusional
Yeah you might want to check the spelling on that you know.
And how many people have a Switch? Yeah right. Nintendo might be the only big company surviving the crash but certainly not because of convenience.
>furthermore everyone has a gaming system in their pocket
Yeah a phone. And guess what, it does more than playing shit mobile games churned out by the hundreds every day.
Classical consoles are making themselves obsolete already.
And on the topic of "basic economics", have you noticed "recently" how every game is "under-performing" how sales are "not meeting expectations"? Investors want infinite growth. Something that, as I constantly have to remind brainlets like you, is impossible. Publishers and devs are pulling every shit they can in order to get short term profits ignoring how it's destroying the industry in the long run. And guess what my economical genius, customers might be retards but they have a breaking point. Sales for AAA gaming are already tanking, investors are already pulling out. It's literally already happening to some extent. Collapse is here already, just not evenly distributed yet.

No need to fight, VR&AR will catch fire soon

The game part

>I don't know about the rest of Jow Forums but the more knowledgeable parts of it are on /dpt/
LOL.
No the fuck it's not. 90% of /dpt/ is just college students asking for help on their homework.

this is the only good response, OP your post is like asking "what is wrong with playing a musical instrument?" like nothing really just enjoy it

it's not that hard imo, i choose to write my own engines over unity solely because using unity/ue4 has a wayyy bigger impact on the feel of the game than people make it out to, no matter how much you do with the engine. kinda like how source has a very distinct source feel that's very comfy

no i can definitely tell when i'm playing unity trash

Ori and the Blind Forest, a 10/10 game praised by all, was made in Unity.

Therefore we can conclude, the engine you use is nearly irrelevant to the quality of your game. It's almost as if you know what you're doing, then the game will be good.

Obviously Unity has a higher ratio of trash games because more people use it over other engines.

Attached: 2567906-6674174918-25623.jpg (968x681, 360K)

>the engine you use is nearly irrelevant to the quality of your game
That is the completely wrong conclusion. The engine is probably the most important decision. Not every engine is equally as suited to certain games as another engine might be. And the highest skilled team in the world will still not be able to produce anything better than a mediocre game if you have the wrong engine for the genre/game you want to make.

>a 10/10 game praised by all
That only happens thanks to good marketing, most NPCs will like a game if their youtube celeb tells them to like it.

the majority likes garbage yeah, also see and this, look up the forest. looks good on paper and youtubers liked it but it's a hacky mess, literally just generic unity shit after you get into it for a bit

YESSS, i hate this approach people have where it's like "unity is one size fits all" it's absolutely not, even if you use unity you shouldn't be approaching it like that y'know? unity might work but it gives every game a cheap feel and that alone is enough to detract from the experience

>that alone is enough to detract from the experience
Exactly. People might not want to hear it and will deny it saying that it doesn't matter but the truth simply is preconceived notions about an engine, even just via association with shit cashgrab asset flips made with it, hurt the way people perceive your product.
Just ask Java and JavaScript about being perceived as shit due to association regardless of the quality or lack thereof of the end product.

> The engine is probably the most important decision.
Unless your game is aiming to be cutting edge, it's not important at all. The pipeline in how you work and the license behind the engine is the most important decision. Unity is targeted at indie developers. UE4 is targeted at AAA developers. Both engines use similar rendering techniques. Both engines are based on entity-component systems.

oh they're pushing it alright - just in a wrong fucking direction, away from creative and close to administrative strategic decisions.

>there is nothing but AAA shooters or Action "RPGs"
There is no end all be all for game engines.

>Trying to make 2D platformer game with UE4
Enjoy wasting your time on it, its literally a dead platform.
Not even AAA developers used it for simple task, unless you make shooter or TPS.

If it ain't ASM it ain't shit.

Attached: 2019-03-06 (1).png (1920x1080, 424K)

Even Nintendo use Unreal Engine 4 for Yoshi crafted world you dumb motherfuking ignorant piece of shit. Coming out on switch march 29th.

It's incredibly important if only for the workflow process. It is much quicker to make a game in Unity than it is unreal. And it is much quicker to make a game in game maker Studio than it is in unity.

>babby learns asm in school and now thinks everyone should be using it
oh boy another one of these people

Its a 3D platformer with fixed camera YOU DUMB FUCK.
Even people in Unreal stream said that P2D is a nightmare to used people are encouraged to never used it.
>Yeah, P2D is kinda behind in our pipeline
>We got two groups of students one of them make a TPS project and the other tried fo create 2D platformer.
>The 2D group disband their project while the TPS group finished in just less than two months.

Attached: 1195796203360.jpg (658x493, 114K)

You are talking about USA companies US tech is declining rapidly, the shift to Asia is nearly complete, and with that it's all about mobile ie portable gaming
you have not given a single source for your opinion but here I will for mine
newzoo.com/insights/articles/global-games-market-reaches-137-9-billion-in-2018-mobile-games-take-half/

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-06-pokemon-go-tops-sales-charts-again-two-years-after-launch
Not a single PC or console game can top that, you have lost

Unity was a mistake. It's allowed nothing but trash to flood the market.

If Unity didn't exist then all those people would've flooded to UE4. If UE4 didn't exist then they'd flood whatever the next best thing was.If nothing existed, then some dev would've inevitably made something soon or later, because that's what bored programmers do.

It makes no fucking difference.

>PUBG and Fortnite are the most played game by hundreds millions people right now.
Are you fucking serious?

Unity will always get automatically shit on over UE4. They're either shills or failed Unity devs.

Trash has always been popular.

But those games were not made with Unity.

Then every Unity game should be popular, right?

So?

That's why Unity is so popular

Nothing, you just saying one engine are contributing of flooding the market with trash.
Most played game in the world is PUBG, made not with Unity, after that other similar trash game also start flooding the market with same Engine as PUBG.
So I confused what kind fo retard said that trash game that flooded the market was related to game engine that not popular at all.

But then I read this >Jow Forums in charged of knowing shit.

>10x bigger and more complex
Oh they are definitely bigger.

It's not an exclusively American problem, not at all. And if you want me to give you a source for every time a game "under-performed" or "didn't meet expectations" we will both sit here all day.
And since I don't want to look up every single stock for every AAA publisher and the related articles that investors are pulling out or demanding "cost cutting measures" I will leave that to you too since you can literally find those in the time it takes you to google the related Companies name.
mediakix.com/mobile-gaming-industry-statistics-market-revenue/
The projected growth between 2012 and 2021 in the mobile gaming market is expected to be 736%. If you think that is not a bubble or in any way sustainable I'd advise taking a basic economy class. Also on top of that the practically only important revenue stream of mobile games aka microtransactions in any media are under heavy flak thanks to triple AAA gaming with a lot of countries considering restrictions, and some close to finalising laws restricting them under gambling and addiction laws.
Tencent one of the biggest in the industry (and also an Asian company) that is pretty diversified all things considered tanked 5% of their stock last year when they had minor problems with the Chinese govt over regulations for their games.
cnbc.com/2018/08/31/tencent-hit-by-new-chinese-proposed-restrictions-on-online-video-games.html
After their record high they lost 178 billion. More than some countries entire GDP.
cnbc.com/2018/08/16/tencent-shares-178-billion-wiped-off-as-gaming-business-struggles.html

The mobile gaming market is one giant bubble that will burst sooner or later. Will it happen tomorrow? Probably no. But it will happen in the next few years. And the AAA market already has tanked massively. It's only downhill from here for the gaming market. Asian, American, Mobile, Console or PC it doesn't matter.

it's barely a 6/10

Well, sure. If you're satisfied with making a generic, shit or at best a mediocre game then just use Unity.

I think there's a barrier of communication here, I suggest you to understad that not everyone here is the same person and to learn how to greentext, because your first post about PUBG suggested that it was made with Unity. My answer was correct anyway.

>because your first post about PUBG suggested that it was made with Unity
Jesus, I was right.
Jow Forums is a consumer board.

Only a consumer would care about the most played games though.