Linux switch thread

Linux switch thread

>which linux is recommend for windows gaming (Runescape,csgo,spellbreak,apex legends)

help a noob out

Attached: img_589d4156a6f46.jpg (785x472, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/rsu-client/rsu-client
youtube.com/watch?v=onOiOs-z0ws
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: itjBdry.jpg (3264x2448, 711K)

Ubuntu 18.04
also don't make support threads, go to the friendly gnu/linux thread

Attached: 1537844657349.jpg (2048x2048, 457K)

idk what to say about apex, but try steam os

can steam os run other windows games?

doesn't steam for Linux natively play windows games now? iirc there's not much performance drop too

(You)

I think the anti-cheat doesn't work with Wine, unplayable on Linux

dk, but is based gaming on linux, other alternatives are shit

All linux is pretty much the same when it comes to games so use something easy like some ubuntu based distro or linux mint.
Runescape works
Csgo on steam
Idk about spellbreak
Apex probably not

Attached: gqjvjc92qek01.jpg (1080x1920, 187K)

>>which linux is recommend for windows gaming (Runescape,csgo,spellbreak,apex legends)
windows 10

how can u relate windows gaming on linux?

im probbably sticking to
Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

do you guys know any problems with amd rx vega 64 and 3 desktop screens?

Ubuntu -> Manjaro -> Arch -> Gentoo

Linux Mint Cinnamon or Xfce. Ubuntu is shit, avoid it unless you want Kubuntu.
Apex looks like a generic Fortnite clone. Those have malicious anti-cheat which can't run on Linux (yet), but Valve is working on it. RS and csgo work fine.

PlayStation

real talk: the acceptance of anticheats is the most baffling thing about the entire PC gaming market, this shit's entire function is to snoop on everything that's going on on the user's machine...

Don't buy, play or even watch content about games with anti-cheat. Voting with your wallet is the best you can do.

Runescape is all Java. If you wanna use the desktop client just run the Java version of it.
CS:GO runs natively.
No clue what Spellbreak is but try Wine/Proton.
Pretty sure you're fucked on Apex.

I don't think you're going to be able to play Apex Legends on Linux yet. The rest should work fine though.

No it isn't, they have a new client that's java less

maybe if less faggots fucked with people online they would not do that

Don't use Ubuntu. GNOME is shit and needs more resources to run than Runescape.
Install Linux Mint, it's literally made to be easy and intuitive to use especially by windows users.
And yes, there will be issues with the LTS release because it doesn't get kernel feature updates which means it won't have new drivers, which is bad if you're on AMD. So you'll have to install ukuu and move to kernel 5.0, and probably update the mesa package manually because Proton needs a newer version than the one that ships with Ubuntu.
>install Mint
>"sudo apt update"
>"sudo apt upgrade"
>install "ukuu", install kernel 5.0
>reboot
>install the latest mesa
>"sudo apt install steam"
You're pretty much set.

Runescape has a native Linux launcher, I think in snap store or the flatpak repo.

I thought snapacks and flatpacks were a bad idea and Jow Forums saaid to stay way from them?

use some variant of ubuntu for steam games, run a VM with you passthrough for apex

They're shit, but using one snap just for a single game is fine. Appimages are the only good way to distribute non-system packages.

What's wrong with them? They're convenient

there isn't a universal permission control gui for the snaps/flatpaks so you literally have to use GNOME for them. they're heavy as fuck, simply downloading a Qt or gtk app which should be less than 100MB will pull over 1.5GB of files, usually fetching the whole GNOME or KDE desktop. snaps open slow as fuck, it takes 5 times longer to open a snap than a native app. if you want something convenient then use appimages. yes they're also large but at least they're even easier for users, devs and distributors if convenience is your goal.

Runescape has a Java client that will run on Debian-based distros natively alongside many others like Arch via the AUR and whatnot.
github.com/rsu-client/rsu-client
CS:GO runs natively through Steam on Linux
Spellbreak and Apex Legends being so recent I haven't even heard of the former I'd have to tell you to search through reddit for wine support / dxvk.
So these factors leave us with a few distros in the process:
>Debian based distros (Ubuntu and it's various spins, Mint) or debian itself
>Arch and it's installers (Anarchy, Zen) alongside it's low maintenance counterparts (Manjaro, Antergos)
Why?
Because these are the largest community-supported distros currently, they also host people of your age demographic (20 or younger) who are doing the same dumb shit so you're bound to have a forum thread somewhere for your issues no matter how specific..

In addition to that last post I made, you could look at Pop_OS! which is a distro by the System76 guys to be a pre-configured Ubuntu with all ammenities such as nvidia drivers and whatnot.

In the games that run in both windows and linux there is for the most part of no performance drop. The stupid meme going around about some new games that do run on linux and windows being just as good is stupidly selective on titles. Unless your looking at selective developers, your best bet is to still stick on windows.

There is only very small amount of things on this planet that I more than soft language error reports.

Attached: opsie.png (600x339, 131K)

Lots that will work but something like Kubuntu or Mint is your best bet.
Runescape and CS GO will run natively. No idea about the other 2 but Apex sounds like a mess on windows so highly likely that's a big nono.

>older kernel
Useless unless you're running more than 3yr hardware

Ubuntu or Manjaro.
I personally use Manjaro. Expect that many games still may not work. Even on steam, without major tinkering with wine and winetricks

Even though I use Memejaro on my laptop (and enjoying it tremendously) I would recommend OP either Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) or Mint.

Anything Arch-based can wait.

name one missing feature

>what is HWE

Linux mint. Every thing runs except the absolute brand new br shit.

If you are having bad pool caller check your ram sticks, I had this problem for a while, several fresh installs of windows and linux, and it kept happening, turns out one of the ram slots got corroded.

Mint is botnet

Jow Forums does not like things that work.

Just use Manjaro, best drivers support, and it comes with steam preinstalled on the KDE/XFCE versions

Guyz, try Slackware, here is what works and what dont's:

wine32 - werkz on 32-bit slackware but you REALLY NEED 64-bit for modern Linux stuff
and you cant use 64-bit on 32-bit so this system has very limited uses

wine64 - werkz on 64-bit slackware but RUNS 64-BIT CODE ONLY so most Windows executables dont werkz because they are partially 32-bit
(WinUAE Amiga emulator does work which is a blessing since its 100% better than Linux Amiga emulators)

slackware with multilib (32-bit and 64-bit combined) works until you update the kernel, if you do, the end result is broken system which no longer boots
so you need to use official slackware 14.2 kernel from the DVD which is now 2 years old, also the multilib is 2 years old, this kind of system may be fine for non internet connected system you need for wine32 and wine64 so its not necessarily useless

non-wine related stuff:
joysticks for game emulators (Amiga emu, SNES emu, etc) on 32 bit slackware dont work

joystciks fro game emulators on 64 bit slackware does work nicely

internet browsers: 32-bit slackware has only firefox and a few obscure useless browsers, 64-bit slackware has all browsers ever made and they all work fine

WLAN connection:

no known USB WLAN will work
m-PCI WLAN cards installed on laptops will usually work if the laptops are thinkpads from 2009 to 2013, newer ones may not work and older wont work either

Ethernet cable connection
ALL ETHERNET ISA OR PCI or PCI-E CARDS WILL WORK, no matter if they are from 1980s or from 2010s

Attached: slackware_tux_logo_by_trey_tx-d6barv6.png (894x893, 431K)

Windows 7

Here you go, good sir..

youtube.com/watch?v=onOiOs-z0ws

Attached: cheers.jpg (225x225, 9K)

((((You))))

mint 19 its probably the best of all the distros for new people coming from windows.

but for they all work for gaming for the most part.

if you have a lot of time, try ubuntu then steamos if it doesn't work. if you don't have a lot of time just go straight steamos if you have no other use case for a pc

> >which linux is recommend for windows gaming
Kubuntu LTS w/Steam. Non-LTS if you're willing to upgrade every year and have something break.

Attached: 1519294642631.png (1193x1128, 1.23M)

actually install gentoo, ill guide you

>win 10
>this happens
>let me check the dump folder
>its empty
thanks

there really isn't. I have a dedicated setup for both

what i don't get about linux(trying to be more like windows) trying to be friendly is why it doesn't automatically update/upgrade upon install lol, so simple to do

Attached: keks.jpg (1509x1317, 723K)

I'm in a similar situation in I don't want to go to windows 10 for my next system and one site I find good for checking up on status of game support is protondb. Stuff's always improving and people give reports sometimes with ways to fix said issues.

Maybe so but that's not going to happen

Why is the audio in Linux so low compared to Windows 10?
In Windows I make the main audio 100% and applications

Attached: hello.png (1920x1080, 1.39M)

Who are you quoting?

Who are you asking?

The person who will answer me.

Haha :^)

This. if you didn't know, any browser package download is intercepted on Mint and injected with code so the search engines you are allowed to use on Mint are limited to the ones that sponsored the distro

Install Fedora Silverblue for guaranteed safe system upgrades and proper rollback functionality.

>why it doesn't automatically update/upgrade upon install
but it does, what are you talking about?

Has anyone gotten source sdk working in linux?

Attached: ((YOU)).png (2386x2256, 2.37M)