Why are Nintendo consoles so easy to hack? PlayStations too

Why are Nintendo consoles so easy to hack? PlayStations too.

Attached: DA696DCB-2534-42C8-A801-A366F1985A23.png (398x238, 140K)

I;m under the impression that the engineers just dont give a shit

Fair, the Wii had no crash handler. But then why are the Wii U, 3DS, and Switch also so easy to hack?

Switch has a hardware vul

It took a while for the ps3 to get cracked but when it did, it got busted side open. Afaik, there is no easy way to downgrade firmware if you update it past 3.55. I don't know of any ps4 exploits.

Well, that's mostly because the master key for the system got leaked somehow, iirc, which opened the way to obtain root permissions and blow it all up from the inside. If not for that, the PS3 could possibly be secure to this day, especially considering it was using the Cell architecture, which was unique and used nowhere else but on the PS3.

I haven't looked at console hacking in a while. Are the PS4's easy to hack already? What about Xbones? Last I recall, it wasn't easy breaking into Microsoft stuff without physical hardware changes.

Has anyone considered asking ? They might know more about this

Jow Forums only knows marketing information about Intel and Nvidia.

Japenese people are dumb and out of touch with technology compared to americans. There is still no working xbox emulator

Fuck off amd shill why does ever fucking thread have to be you shill your brand

PS3 originally had a mode you could put linux in didn't it?

Something about the nonce always being the same, right?

Never said anything about AMD. Fuck off Incel
It did. It was called OtherOS but Sony removed it. You can still use it if you have cfw

All bcause of linux, goy - just try making neckbeards go through hurdle to run gentoo on ur system and they will break tht shit

external security isn't a priority for a device that only runs verified and signed proprietary software. It only exists to make software piracy too complicated for the average user, though in some cases exploits are clearly set up on purpose, like with the PS Classic's exposed GPG key.

Cope. Stick to your containment thread /v/ermin

Attached: 1491916955985.png (653x726, 42K)

It didn't get "leaked", they used a faulty RNG that allowed the keys to be figured out.

Probably to get people to actually buy one of those things. Really did anyone actually buy those?

Yeah, the nonce wasn't random allowing them to decrypt the keys.

What? Lay off the drugs man

What don't you understand newfriend? You must be new

PS4 seems hackable, Xbone isn’t but homebrew is allowed

weaponized autism of nintendo fanboys

I believe it, now explain PlayStation

You're trying too hard

autism incarnate holy shit

are nvidia fags all underage?

Drone defence force is here

Attached: 1550849278222.png (396x408, 165K)

Please stop ruining my bread, okay? Thank you!

You got some issues man. Why do you have loyalty to a corporation?
Sorry. I'll stop :3

Fuck your /v/ thread

Cell isn't very unique, it's pretty much the same as the PS2. The PS2 is a MIPS core with two vector units (think SIMD extensions like AVX). Cell is a POWER core with six vector units and a memory coherent bus design reminiscent of older SGI hardware.

It's just marketing and you're also incorrect that it wasn't used anywhere else. Both IBM and Mercury released various server hardware using Cell for medical imaging and similar applications. IBM later used the POWER chip design as the basis of the Xenon in the 360, as well.

Really that was Sony's bet on the PS2 and PS3 is that you could take a relatively gimpy CPU and then add a bunch of vector units to offload work to. But that's the name of the game in consoles is trying to get the most out of mediocre hardware.

Okay pajeet

Attached: 63.jpg (1000x991, 416K)

>it’s a /v/ thread because it involves consoles

>tfw you will never again have a comfy afternoon with your bro when you finally understand how to "hack" the Wii, subsequently blasting through all sorts of SNES games until nightfall
>tfw the magic of your early teenage years is never to return

Loading homebrew onto the Wii felt like unlimited power in 2009. Sometimes I still feel the inclination to buy a Wii and do it all again.

Attached: trying to think of the number after 2.jpg (401x253, 26K)

Yes newfriend we dont talk about console on Jow Forums we never do

Shilling for free in a thread that nothing to do with Intel, Nvidia, or AMD? A new low

Switch uses Nvidia so it’s just barely relevant

Because people never when they hack the hardware also try non gaming things on it? I remember people could get DVD movies to play on the Wii or just general media centers type of things, I tried the later, had it playing music and I think video files off SD card , the dvd thing I think risked messing up the read lasers or something I don't remember but I just remember people trying that out.

And the wii used ATI.. They don't have brand loyalty they use whatever fits their needs better.

>nintendo's ninjas killed him in the middle of a sentence
>and then submitted his post anyway to remind us that they're always watching
Holy shit, F

I wasnt the one who started complaining about intel and nvidia
for no reason and then when called out the drone defense force rallied behind him to defend amd just like you guys do every other day

Oh not saying you were , just adding that ATI was also used before.

They aren't, but the game is rigged in favor of the hackers.
When writing your security bios, you have to write the code assuming the code will not be executed correctly because the hackers can do shit like skipping instructions with reset glitches.

because they're made with an ARM-based GPU structure in mid which makes them vunerable to open source API's attacks. In other words their open source nature makes them more consumer friendly but also makes them more hackable by black hats coders. You can quite easily run an authorised GNU code into their dataset as long as you know what you're doing around unix systems.

Attached: 1550674474156.jpg (960x720, 85K)

Attached: 1536512300631.jpg (1050x733, 171K)

You should watch some videos on actually hacking consoles.
It's much more interesting than what you think it is.
Just to give you the gist of it, as long the Cell on the PS3 is executing the code correctly, it's IMPOSSIBLE to crack it.

idk, if you're like me, you dont say anything...they wont fix it anyway.
i've hacked everything from xbox, psp, phones, gameboys. it never gets old.

Nintendo attracts a bunch of autists unironically.
They gotta be able to hack their pokemon dude.
Plus Nintendo is retarded when it comes to security, on the 3DS and Wii U you could download games without paying off their fucking servers.

Playstation isn't actually that easy to hack, just take a look at the vita. It was just barely blown wide open like a week ago. Despite the console being dead, they continued to give it serious security updates.
On older consoles like the PSP they made the retarded choice of letting the user run unsigned code on firmware 1.00

Honestly it usually isn't about "how easy it is to hack" but more of "how many people are buying that console that actually know how and are willing to put the effort to hack it"

It was possible to software downgrade if you were running 4.81 and (iirc) 4.82 was compatible too, using a webkit exploit.
This is how I ended up installing CFW on my PS3.

The Switch has pretty good security from Nintendo's side. I don't think any kernel vulns have been found to date. The major vuln comes from Nvidia's side of things.

>on the 3DS and Wii U you could download games without paying off their fucking servers.
This is also the case for PS3 games and Sony's servers. The games are encrypted, so they thought it wouldn't matter. But people dump and spread around the decryption keys.

Nintendo has fixed this up on the 3DS, though. You can't download a game from their server anymore without authentication.

>It was just barely blown wide open like a week ago.
the 3.60 firmware has been fully crackable for like three years, it was just last week the last layer of security was analyzed, but since there's already a cracked "golden firmware" and workaround for the newer ones, development is slowing down and there probably won't be a crack for 3.70 since you can just downgrade. Same on the PS3 iirc, most of Sony's software updates are patching exploit holes and not adding features or improving existing ones, so with an old enough console you can do anything.

No they haven't.

this, novideo fked up (it was worked around some time ago tho i think for new stock)

They have for first party titles.
Many third party games are unprotected still.

>Loading homebrew onto the Wii felt like unlimited power in 2009.
This, but with the original Xbox. Softmodding one of those was a trip, had to take the hard drive out and hook it to a PC with an IDE cable and run a Live OS or some shit to patch the Xbox's OS and install a custom dashboard, then cutting and soldering a controller cable to make a USB adapter to load games off a flash drive.

But then it was time for Metal Wolf Chaos, and that was absolutely worth it.

huh, does this apply to shit like the freeShop?

Probably because they use well documented components that are sold to other companies like ARM chips, older Nvidia SoCs, and MIPS processors. Xbox and newer Sony devices all have OEM APUs tailor made for their consoles and appear nowhere else but share architecture with some PC components.

Try it yourself, only obscuro Japanese titles, and shovelware can be downloaded with Freeshop anymore.

fuck off

Attached: 1529437273875.jpg (679x758, 54K)

t. desperate faggit larper trying to fit in

>Easy to hack

As if OP's ever written an exploit.

Why are Japanese so retarded as far as programming goes?

I am well aware, Sony continued security on that dead console anyway after the 3.60 exploits.

Imagine being new enough to think that consoles don't belong in a T E C H N O L O G Y board

It's not easy. The hackers just make it easy for dumbshits like you by making the tools with an interface and giving you steps.

SNIPER GET D

it's microsofts fault
they copyright trolled the shit out of the japanese computing industry
that's why computers are only associated with otaku
it's horrid

this

More like NEC's fault. They're the ones who lobbied the government to prevent foreign computer makers from being competitive in the '70s and early '80s, keeping prices artificially high and stunting the growth of the Japanese computing industry for years.