With a Seagate hard drive equipped with its MACH.2 Multi Actuator technology...

blog.seagate.com/enterprises/mach2-and-hamr-breakthrough-ocp/

>With a Seagate hard drive equipped with its MACH.2 Multi Actuator technology, Seagate has demonstrated up to 480MB/s sustained throughput — the fastest ever from a single hard drive, and 60 percent faster than a 15K drive.

THIS KILLS THE SSD MEME

Attached: Seagate-MACH.2-Multi-Actuator-technology-conceptual-illustration.jpg (1080x608, 589K)

Other urls found in this thread:

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2018/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>seagate
You mean the hard drive kills itself, right?

So this has the potential to kill SSD

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2018/

>Still posting outdated lies

KILL YOURSELF FAGGOT

So it's an internal RAID 0. When will the HAMR meme hit?
>THIS KILLS THE SSD MEME
My SSD does at least 1500MB/s sustained RW.

>Spinning drive - up to 480MB/s
>NVMe SSD - minimum of ~900MB/s
>What is IOPS
No. SSD's are the future, like it or not.

that's cool but tell me this: how is a regular hard drive with similar reads/writes as an average ssd better than an average ssd?
I guess capacity?

But do you have 14TB of storage under $500?

Fuck off SSD meme faggot

No, but I could very likely do that under 1500$, given how my storage would at the very least be 3 times as fast sequentially, not even mentioning random access, that's pretty good.

>THIS KILLS THE SSD MEME
People are still retarded enough to not know the use cases for HDDs and SSDs.

This, mostly.

Tiered storage master race.

Where do you get 14 TB of HAMR drives for $500

Attached: 1504456307740.png (333x374, 126K)

Trucks can carry more than cars. Trucks killed the car meme. What are use cases? HURRRRRRRRRRR

do you need an ambulance user

This
SSD for stuff that likes fast storage, OS, programs, certain games and HDDs for bulk media storage
For some reason having multiple storage devices is a sin or people are just too retarded to deal with more than one drive

>it runs the same firmware from the stuxnet vulnerability

probably going to be inhumanely loud or expensive to manufacture, or both

kek

you don't need 14tb of storage to boot your os

SSD early adaptors must feel really stupid now

Attached: thiskillsssd.png (600x500, 523K)

>sustained throughput
What about access times? Have they improved at all from previous HDD generations? Access times are what makes SSDs "fast", not sustained reads.

It's going to cost more than a SATA SSD, watch.

t. steered boss away from the shite our supplier suggested (15k SAS drives) to enterprise SSDs because they're cheaper and one of them has more IOPS than the entire array of spinning rust

Why not have like 10 reading heads arranged in a star like formation around the hard drive working all together for 1 gig read/write?

Is this all technilogical progress is now? Taking an existing technology and just stacking it in parallel? USB3.2 2x2, QSFP+ and now this; essentially just two HDD's stacked atop one another in a single drive.

>it runs the same firmware from the stuxnet vulnerability
You mean the disks will spin faster than usual?

>faster
Or slower. Variable RPM HDDs when?

>muh speeds
Even the cheapest SSD is better than this for a very simple reason: no seek time. Expensive SSDs are retarded but expensive HDDs are even more retarded.

Until you can buy 10(lets be generous 5 TB SSD) TB SSD for $150, HDD will be king.

HDDs will still only be king in bulk media storage
For literally anything else it’s better to be on an SSD

>HDDs will still only be king in bulk media storage
that would be tapes.

>Is this all technilogical progress is now? Taking an existing technology and just stacking it in parallel?
Double actuator HDDs is not even a new technology.