Going back to college at 34

I am considering attending the ASU online electrical engineering program. I will have to get student loans, which is a bad thing. But if student loans are forgiven eventually... maybe it would work out.

Am I too late in terms of age?

Attached: serveimage.png (284x178, 6K)

Well, you're not too late. Because chances are you have to work another 35 to 40 years.

But I think a wiser use of your time is trying to start your own business. As that has more upward potential. And you won't spend the rest of your life sucking up to others.

That's exactly what my plan has been. But for some reason I find myself thinking about getting a degree. Not sure why. I guess I feel like "its something". My main objective is to work from home while being off the grid/independent.

Don't listen to this retard. Can you code OP? No? Because 99% of businesses today require some programming

EE has no job growth. If you want reliable employment after graduation study CS.
Also, do your first two years at a community college, it'll be cheaper.

>But if student loans are forgiven eventually... maybe it would work out.
How much are you planning on taking out dude? Maybe start with community college or something cheaper.

What are your math skills like?

Seconded, I see this all the time in non trad students. They haven't done math is years, and doing even calc 1 is super hard for them.

How long does the course take and what does it cost?
If it's a relatively small investment then you could give it a try. But if you'll spend years on it, with the risk of not even finishing it, then you should seriously reconsider. Or perhaps try to find an employer who wants to fund you education while you work.

Yes

When it is actually too late to go to school?

>ASU
Bwahahahaha literally a meme state university.

Attached: nI0BxoKl.jpg (179x170, 10K)

When I went to university the first year was filled with 18 something year olds.
The last year was filled with 50 year olds.

I went to a community college years ago. Did 2 years but never got to the point to transfer. I was going to do computer science. I dropped out to start my own business. lol, It was a stupid idea but only because I got lazy and never followed through with things.

Thing is, I am not in AZ. I want to do online because I cant stand the college environment. Its also the only online Abet program.

you sound like a faggot

How to learn math for someone who dropped it first chance he got in grade 11? I'm not stupid, but I've haven't needed to use anything more complicated than arithmetic in nearly 15 years.

Pick a different career field

Really a lot of it is filtering through the bullshit. Like in order to do calculus, all you need to know is every operation and it's inverse. What you do to one side of the equals sign, you do the opposite to the other. Most people are fine with addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, but get hung up on logs, exponents, roots, fractional and negative exponents. So make sure you know those. Then once you get to calc if you have those concepts second nature, you can focus on why the calc concepts make sense. I find it's a little more forgiving since you can think about it geometrically or algebraically depending on how your brain works. Keep in mind that it all builds on itself a ton, so don't assume that because the section on one concept is over, you won't ever see it again, because that's how you get fucked. Just learn the basics, and stay on top of it from there.

doable. I went to university in Switzerland at age 28 after having dropped out of high school 10 years prior. I had straight As and A- in most math classes. If you have the aptitude you will be fine.

On the first day of class, write down all of the chapters you will be going over. Skim through all of the chapters by the first week, so that way you understand how everything will tie together. For tests, show up 30 minutes early to study. Use this time to memorize any formulas you’ll need. At the start of the test, read through the whole test, and mark which ones you think are hard. Then go through the test again and start solving the problems that use the formulas that you just went over. then solve all the easy questions. Then move to the hard problems if you still have time.

It's not too late. I went back to school for CS at 27 and it went fine, made dean's list quite a few times. You have to have thick skin and not compare yourself to others and fall into the "coulda woulda shoulda" thinking trap.

Also, make sure CS/EE is actually what you want to do and it's not just for money. If you're only in it for the money you won't really have the motivation to put in the extra work that makes you that extra money in the first place. You spend at least a third of your life working, so you really should enjoy it. I was at a crossroads in life after years of menial jobs and went back to school because I couldn't really see myself in any other long term career but software engineering.

Probably when you're senile.

Thanks bros

What about student loans? Is it possible to get 100% funding?

The biggest problem would be making friends and having a reliable study group of sorts. Getting assignments done and studying for midterms/exams is a lot less stressful when you've got other people to ask questions or work on assignments with, and from my experience I think that's one of the things that adult students (quite a bit older than 34 sometimes so this might not apply much) don't have which makes uni a lot more stressful.

This is me right now, just turned 26. Hit my mid 20s and went back to school, picked CS because I had fucked around with it and had fun in my teens. I'm transferring from CC to a decent 4 year program in the fall. The comparison trap can be difficult to avoid when you meet 19 year olds who have been into cs for a long time and are better, but if it weren't for the shit I did between 18 and now, I would never have had the drive to dedicate myself to this topic like I am now. It's also motivation to catch up. And it feels great when I get better scores on tests or assignments.

Most engineers do not work from home. If you want to work from home, then you have to learn how to code or manage information systems. But even these fields will all be outsourced to India in a few years. The only safe STEM jobs are hands-on engineering ones.

Nigger, half the classes at traditional universities are online now. And the ones that aren't dont even take attendance. You just show up for the tests. Frankly, I don't see you becoming a successful engineer if you can't be bothered to show up to a stupid classroom a couple times a semester.

>But even these fields will all be outsourced to India
but indian education is abysmal for the most part and companies literally get what they pay for

Hehe Shalom

Attached: Screenshot_System_UI_20190306-131155.png (1080x1920, 1.32M)

When I was in college, my statistics prof was in his 50s getting a PhD... a 50 year old grad student/ T.A...

It's never too late, dude.

Attached: terry.png (946x528, 438K)

Take this advice with a grain of salt since everyone has a different aptitude and attitude.

I'm a nontraditional student. I went back to college at 24 after dropping out of high school in 11th grade at 16. I went in with a plan of study for CS or management info systems. Cause I heard that's where all the money is. So I'm counting the money without even taking stock in the fact that I was never good at math and haven't done math in 8 years.

The college forces me to take a placement math test, and I test into middle school level math. Elementary algebra. I say "fuck it. I'll just start over and re-learn it." I fail the class outright. Try again and barely pass with an ungodly amount of effort. The lecturers move WAY too quick, they expect that everyone in the class is fresh out of high school, so it's not an environment for a non-traditional student to learn anything. I grab my notes and book and head over to the tutoring center. The tutors don't want to bother teaching me shit either. They view me like a retard (I'm their age or older) and don't understand why I just don't "get it" after giving me a 10 second verbal explanation of the formula/concept.

To make a long story short, I eventually make it to a "transfer level math course" I got a pick of college algebra, calculus, or statistics. I go to the first two weeks of calculus 1 and I'm like "fuck this. my brain is too retarded and old for math; I cant hack it as a CS major." I probably shouldve made that realization when I was struggling with 8th grade math, but hey, my ego got in the way, and I just wanted to do the career path that would make me big bucks.

So I switched immediately to the stats class and have a much easier time. I picked psychology (lel) as a major and I graduated last year and I'm looking at grad programs right now. I don't know why I decided to blog my life story. But it's a cautionary tale about how being a non-traditional student, without any affinity for math, sucks.

Unironically never. You may not gain any money from it but it's fun.

Thanks man. These stories are important to hear too.

What a gigantic waste of time and money

I don't disagree with that assessment myself. I fell for the meme that you need a college sheepskin at all costs, even if it's not a stem degree. I graduated at 28 with a worthless degree and debt. Now I can either continue along the sunken cost path and try to get a master's degree so I can do something within the psychology field, or I can do as the other meme says "learn to code."

the morale of the story to OP and others is this -- if you're not college material, if you can't hack a STEM program, then don't become another casualty like me. Self teach yourself something useful or do a trade (I considered that to be beneath me).

Become a plumber.

When you become the type of person who thinks math is too hard to learn

32 and neet too, dunno if it's really too late for me I don't have much to go by and even if I do get something it will be hell on earth no matter what the job is because that's what all lower jobs are. I did graduate college years ago and I guess that's the best I got really, wasn't a meme degree but still.

>taking career advice from a 14 year old

>he thinks student loans will be forgiven

FUCK OFF

Rule 34!

I went back to school and graduated with a CS degree at 34. It was one of the best decisions of my life. I say go for it, if you're decently intelligent and motivated.

Attached: DxyHlqfX4AMi-jl.jpg (750x931, 136K)

fuck anons I'm on my fifth year of cs just because of calculus 1 and 2
and passed calculus 3 for no damn respect, why can't universities just fuck off and give me my degree
I've had enough, fuck my professors and fuck calculus

>Partial Diff Equations
>C

Lol if you don't like math you're not a good programmer, it's literally the same skill set. Don't talk shit on Calculus just because you're too much of a brainlet for it. My fucking idiot coworker tried telling me how much of a genius her son is when he's like 22 and has failed calc 2 like four times. Felt so good telling her that I got an A in Calc 3. Dumb bitch.

>Because 99% of businesses today require some programming
lmao what

Serious question, say you've been out of school for a while now. Say you're 28. Say you were never good at math. Like not even high school math.

Is it possible to get good at math and learn programming in time to get a job and career path or should I fucking kill myself right now for ruining my life? Just give me that final push Jow Forums

Attached: 1373403264719.png (792x792, 790K)

Yes, it's entirely possible. I'm the calc faggot. I literally fucking FAILED precalc in high school. Like I said in my earlier post, if you don't completely understand the basics, you're gonna be fucked. After failing precalc, I got As in calc 1 2 and 3. The thing that helped me the most? I knew every operation and the inverse. Multiply one side, divide the other. Add one side, subtract the other. Want to get rid of a fraction? Multiply by the denominator raised to the negative first power instead. Don't like looking at the cube root? Raise the inside to the 1/3 power instead. The shit isn't hard, but if you don't understand something ENTIRELY and you just skate through, you're gonna be fucked because it WILL come back and you WILL be expected to understand it.

The same goes for calculus concepts. Don't understand limits very well, but now you learned all the derivation shortcuts, so you're good, right? NO. Cause now you gotta do limits with three variables, or you've gotta sum the limit to make an integral. Don't understand that the integral is the sum of a limit, but you do understand that it's the area under the curve? Not good enough, because soon you're gonna have to use the integral to calculate the arc length, which has nothing to do with the area under the curve, but it's still an integral. Don't fully have the idea of the derivative down? Fucking get it because soon you're gonna have to do partial derivatives.