IRIX emulation works now!

Just found out that the latest version of MAME can emulate an SGI Indy 150MHz with Newport graphics. As far as I'm aware this is the first time an emulator has ever been able to boot IRIX to a graphical login/desktop. People on the IRIX network forum (irix.cc) are reporting that 5.3 and 6.2 will install from CDs and boot.

Attached: IndyMame207.jpg (1920x1200, 1011K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/drvink/electroportis
linux-mips.org/wiki/IP22
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I always knew IRIX was a bitch to emulate, but what was it that made it so difficult?

MAME now can run the best screensaver in the world, electropaint.

Obscure platform, lack of interest, real hardware (for reverse engineering purposes) is still expensive.

You can find cheap Octanes, Indigos and Indys at recycling centers. I bought an Octane for $100 not THAT long ago.

Thats awesome, I had no idea anyone was working on this.

Because it's proprietary top to bottom and uses lots of odd bits of custom hardware. The most difficult thing to emulate was the graphics hardware, since that's all custom with sparse documentation, if any at all. IRIX emulators have been able to boot the system headless since the 90s. But they haven't been able to run graphical applications or X until now.

Based and great taste pilled

But no one wants to tear up perfectly good SGI machines because they're rare and worth decent money. And the small community of a few hundred enthusiasts doesn't have the money or resources to reverse engineer this hardware.

Attached: Fsn.png (1600x1024, 835K)

cool
I'm gonna give this a shot tonight.

Why? Just buy a SGI machine, you can get better ones for almost nothing.
Sure it's nice from a historical perspective, but that's too slow to be useful for porting software or related, to be useful for anything else.

Let us know how it goes.

Because SGI hardware won't last forever. But an emulator will. 200 years from now people will still be able to run IRIX. Even with major performance hits this is important for preserving an entire software ecosystem, much of which has already been lost to time.

Plus, MIPS is still around in embedded devices. A modern MIPS board with custom graphics could probably run an IRIX VM well enough to be useful. Now that the requirements for booting IRIX to a desktop are fully understood, this opens lots of possibilities.

You might appreciate this project a friend of mine did: github.com/drvink/electroportis

What type of asshole uses Firefox?

What type of retard complains about perfectly good default software?

>Because SGI hardware won't last forever.
>Didn't even read the post before replying
Retard

Reread my post until something sticks to that thick block of yours. Thanks.

>Sure it's nice from a historical perspective

Okay... chdman seems to lock up trying to convert the IRIX 5.3 CD image (as an aside, now I remember why literally no one actually uses the MESS drivers for anything, everything about MESS is a pain).
I'm going to figure out getting this CD image working in MESS first. The thread on the irix.cc forums is really light on details.

Booting the BIOS also gets me at like 12% full speed -- better than expected, but hot damn. Even if I had managed to get the CD working, it'd take until morning for the install to finish, because it's late as shit and I'm not staying up all that time.

kinda wanted to do 6.2 since apparently GL works there, but a: that's 2 CD images and I can't convert shit and b: big ass install time

it's probably the hardware, the graphics to be more precises.

actually that was probably true the other way around too. I had one of those boxes that was able to run w2k at my first job. and omg with those specs... yet you got like 1-2 fps in quake 2 on the fucking box..

that model had some shared memory, that is gpu and cpu shared some of the memory. It's the only sgi model(s) I have experience with. I don't know/remember how this was with their more typical models (sgi 320 and 540 I think they were called)

but regardless those specs for that time...1-2 fps in windows... native it performed better but we didn't have any games for irix to compare with, only our own (test) code

>OP actually talking about something interesting on Jow Forums

They where going for cheap at one point, but now there's a lack of them available.
Personally whished that I picked a few up when the getting was good.

Where can I find the boot roms

Hey man this is really cool and all but I think you came to the wrong board. This is Jow Forums - smartphones and consumer brand wars (CPU/gpu especially). Maybe try posting on the technology board.

there are a lot of reasons but these aren't any of them lmao

linux-mips.org/wiki/IP22

I'm pretty sure all the shit necessary to build an Indy emulator has already been out for quite a while, as far as I'm aware SGI gave away most of the needed documentation for that system in order to get Linux running on it way back in the mid '90s.

If that's the case, that's probably where we're stuck for a long while. So don't worry, you've still got some talking points to throw at the occasional retard who will tell you there's no reason to own hardware when an emulator exists, the same kinds of retards who probably would have bought these systems and then tossed them when they realized they were too dumb to use them otherwise.

Unholy fusion of MAME and Linux when

Attached: Nomad-Tanru_hybrid.jpg (450x739, 51K)

>(and is unsupported under Linux)
>(and is also unsupported under Linux)
>(unsupported under Linux)
System V reigns supreme, as always.

Attached: 1545530980483.jpg (800x764, 87K)

>MAME , One of the most impressively autistic pieces of software can now run an obscure OS that like 50 people had interest in

Now run it in unix inside a thinkpad

Attached: f933549633e9214d58e56b8cfebfd504a6dc87740385e07650eeee81cee39d65.jpg (400x381, 15K)

>tfw can make my own jurasic park in MAME now

Attached: 1533636373138.jpg (664x663, 65K)

I thought MAME was an arcade game emulator.

A separate project, MESS (Multi Emulator Super System), focused on consoles and computers using MAME code. The two have since merged.

IRIX icons are nice.

/v/ IS A SUBSET of Jow Forums, retard

They are vector graphics

Last I checked, someone on the forum said they'd upload a disk image so people don't have to install it themselves. Keep an eye out for that.

Look up ip225015.zip

IRIX wasn't and isn't a /v/toddler platform. It has no games.

bump

Anyone tied this?

Yep. It works. It just runs like how old people fuck.

someone is trying too hard to fit in

It's a Unix system... I know this...

okay, he uploaded the image
the downloading keeps dying, so he may or may not be getting hit by an unusually amount of people hammering at it

was wondering why it wasn't booting, my browser apparently only downloaded 80MB of the image and decided that was good enough

3d graphics file explorers have been a some what obscure thing on linux for awhile. Just have to compile them yourself.

Even the one used in the movie is available, it's called fsn

I would, if I knew how to.

This is great and all, but can I play Marvel vs Capcom 2 on MAME or it still won't work?

okay, I've booted it
it's so slow that just moving a window takes like 20 seconds and leaves a nasty mess behind for several seconds
loads of pixel dma timeouts in the console, probably because they don't transfer enough each frame, which might be part of the slowness -- even if this was running at "full speed", it's probably drawing way too slowly

but it works, for a really, really limited definition of works
sometimes it goes from a brisk, if glacial 13% to a "under no circumstances is this even remotely usable" 2%
literally EVERYTHING regarding screen drawing is too slow

it's a start, and from here, you can actually attempt to make things work -- nothing in the bios seems to access the screen remotely like how IRIX itself does, so these are probably entirely untested code paths

it'll work, but really slow
just use demul
the only 3D systems that really run at any decent speed in MAME are the PS1-in-a-cab boards like Taito's G-Net and the various Namco boards
I played through the first level of Ikaruga in MAME for shits and giggles. Took like 10 minutes on my main machine, and like an hour on a shitty netbook I had.

IRIX did indeed have games. I remember playing a network enabled mechwarrior clone as a kid when my dad would take me to work.

Attached: I prefer ample posteriors I cannot falsify.png (320x240, 114K)

This is why the MAME community is the best!
Love all of you. Keep up the great work.

Wasn't quake 3 developed on irix? There are builds that run on sgi hardware
Other games like crash bandicoot also were developed and rendered on sgi hardware

owo What's this?

Impressive
I remember seeing the Indy workstation at trade shows in the 90s when most of the world was stuck with IBM PC clones and MS-DOS / Windows 3.x. Terrible times unless you were rich.

Is the Maxx desktop still a thing? It appears the site went down.

faggot still posts on zuckerbook

Attached: maxx.png (418x381, 83K)

Running the Maxx Desktop in a Docker container on my Macbook

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 7.54.21 PM.png (1440x900, 782K)

more caps

It was, but computers and arcade machines sometimes sometimes used the same components: like mips CPUs

quake runs on literally anything at this point, and IRIX was the main N64 development platform

but nobody buying them brand new at full price ever used them to actually play games even if the operating system and hardware were more than capable of doing so

kek

It's a unix system.

NT 3.x was probably the best choice back then
These workstations were pretty unstable and hacky, in the same way linux distros are memed today

>$10k machine
>unstable and hacky
fuck right off

>price==quality

~7 years ago I bought an old Indigo2 off craigslist for cheap. had the bright idea of trying to track down all the 3D software I used to lust after during my teen years. SURELY given the age of these things, all the software would be long since cracked and easy to find?
yeah, no
there was just one messageboard (nekochan) and they were virulently anti-piracy despite the fact that 99% of SGI software is abandonware / long since sold off to other companies who probably don't employ a single person who could connect their modern products to an SGI pedigree.

so basically people weren't very helpful, none of the stuff I wanted to try from the 90s was available (and even if you could find the boxed software, as I did in a few cases, you couldn't activate it because the companies went tits-up 20+ years ago)

oh, and most of the software was absolutely awful to work with by our modern standards. GUIs have come very very far since the early/mid 90s.

Attached: model301.png (1278x1022, 41K)

Yeah, you really shouldn't buy SGI machines and expect them to be useful for anything beyond simple *nix tasks. Even a ThinkPad with Linux is better for real work in that regard. I like IRIX because it's simple and comfy, and has the best GUI. The hardware is also pretty fun to maintain and tinker with, and looks great on your desk. These machines are pretty much toys now.

I know this!

The dev works at a snails pace. Cool project but no progress for years means I can't really get behind it.

Early Windows (DOS and NT based) was also "unstable and hacky". A lot of systems are still like this, like Windows, Mac OS, and even Linux. That's the nature of software development when stuff gets really large and complex. The only system then that wasn't complete shit was probably OpenVMS or maybe SunOS/Solaris.

why would you want to use this old piece of shit anyways?

>GUIs have come very very far since the early/mid 90s.
there's plenty absolute shit UIs still around for really domain specific software
you were expected to have training and manuals to work with a lot of this shit, too

yeah, that's a bad comparison
but IRIX is pretty rock solid Unix

really dunno why anyone would compare it to a pile of ass like NT3

>Early Windows (DOS and NT based) was also "unstable and hacky".
That hasn't been my experience with NT. DOS and pretty much all unix based systems were still lacking lots of simple GUI-based tools for system configuration. If you ran NT on supported hardware though things usually just worked

>pretty much all unix based systems were still lacking lots of simple GUI-based tools for system configuration
see, that's an aspect where IRIX has shined pretty hard compared to a lot of other Unix systems out there

this is sad

how fast is ur machine?

based anons thanks for not leaving me hanging

OP here. I'm on a ThinkPad X230 i5 3320m with Winshit 10 LTSC. Basically you'll want to stick the ip225015.bin into the "roms" in the mame directory. Then open that up, open PowerShell in there, and run "./mame64 ip225015.bin" and that should boot you to ARCS. There's wicked input lag and it freezes a lot.

Attached: 20190308_141239-1.jpg (2003x2496, 2.45M)

Trying the 6.2 chd from the guy on the forum, IRIX seems to kernel panic. Not sure why. There was a different kernel panic earlier, though I've only been able to reproduce the one attached.

I'm going to try to reinstall from a CD later. I have an IRIX 5.3 ISO already.

Attached: 20190308_142343-1.jpg (1649x929, 1015K)

this might be useful for me to run my nintendo 64 development kits
>there are a lot of reasons but these aren't any of them
t. zoomer faggotry.
user is right. it was obscure (even back then), there wasn't much interest in the OS outside of certain trades and the hardware is still fucking expensive, though, not as expensive as it was when these systems were new, but still expensive enough to make people cringe. like your post: much cringe.

I know this...

> be nintendo
> do deal with SGI for hardware
> force nintendo developers to spend staggering sums of money to buy the "low end" indy workstation for development of software
> along come hardware hackers from asia
> release n64 backup system that can be used for development
> SGI goes into panic mode, many lost shekels
> any dev not retarded buys a cheap backup unit from hong kong
and people wonder why fuck all software for n64 was ever developed. thanks, sgi+nintendo.

mame has gotten so bloated, i actually managed to run out of memory while compiling it.

t. Memorylet
buy more RAM next time

Why should I care about this ancient piece of ass, again?

Attached: 1546370772831.webm (640x800, 1.49M)

IRIX is the only desktop *nix that remained absolutely responsive under heavy load. It also was one of the first to use vector icons and care about resolution independence. It also came with electropaint, the best screensaver in the world.

While it may be a relic now, it still is better than a Linux desktop.

But can I shitpost on Jow Forums,)?

With a pass, yes.

so are there still active torrents for IRIX 6 and Power Animator or Softimage 3D ? Or is there another place to get these?

And I care why?

I'd be interested in seeing someone try and compile Turok for the N64 on it.
I don't know where to upload the source though. It's 256MB.

I think so. I'm not sure though. Those applications won't run in MAME anyways. The emulation is so slow that you can barely open a few built in applications. It's more of a proof of concept thing right now.

Compiling hello world on an emulated Indy would probably take hours. Compiling 250MB of shit would take decades.

bump

Did you really come here to shill this shit and bump the thread 24/7, every time it's about to die?

There's dozens of FTPs by people who archive this shit, where you can download it for free.
Nekochan went down for a reason, they were toxic retards.

Yes. If you don't like it you can fuck yourself.

This.

That's like a week's worth of calories for her.

maybe we should compile mame and see if that works? I'm getting the same problem here

While IRIX is booting, press "stop for maintenance" to get into ARCS. Go to the SASH console and type "setenv -f eaddr 08:00:69:12:34:56" and then press done to return to ARCS. Then press the button with the traffic light. Worked for me and got the system to boot. It takes a while, so give it like 10 minutes. Then you can log in as root. EZSetup won't even load because it's too slow.

Attached: 1530853677995.gif (112x112, 20K)

have you double-checked that the image downloaded properly
like, I spent like 20 minutes trying to figure that shit out before I realized that the download cut out early
try nabbing the file with wget

Great. Now good luck with installing and licensing Alias or SoftImage on that emulated dumpster fire.

Attached: Softimage3D-3.7.png (1024x768, 41K)

You are a pleb, do you know that? I can take seat on my old SGI IRIS 4D right away and create awesome work, the next minute I jump to my Quad Xeon and Maya 2019. The true artist is flexible. You are no artist, I can tell.

Yep, and it matches the provided hash. I got it to boot but you need to use the ARCS console and type the command here and then it'll boot.

I'm not here for shitware applications that were outdated 20 years ago. I'm here for the aesthetics of IRIX's graphical interface and the preservation of an old Unix system.