Did academia kill your passion for programming?

Did academia kill your passion for programming?

Attached: The-Programmers-Great-Clinical-Depression-1020x560.png (1020x560, 123K)

No. The workforce is far more likely to do that.

yes but jonathan blow restored it.
that man gets me so exited about programming.

If anything it is the opposite, like said. "Real jobs" often amount to boring CRUD operations where you think to yourself: "Did I get an education for this? This bullshit is for IQ89 brainlets".

This.

nah, but it did for math

If you wanted real programming you should've become a wordpress artisan instead of a database monkey.

Academia killed my passion for a lot of things reading and writing for fun, anything social (used to be huge extrovert who wanted to party all the time, but with all the meetings and group/team projects, even going to coffee with someone is just another thing I have to schedule, and now I just want to be alone at home and not have to do anything)

damn right
some people thought well this is fun, all these colors is great fun fun fun games etc, progress
then they are forced to 'learn' UML, java
and use EMACS

I can relate too.

In my experience it's the other way around. Why the fuck did I get a degree that taught me close to no marketable skills. It's a fucking joke, but apparently people respect the piece of paper.

tfw struggling to find a job even though I know it's mostly going to be this sort of thing.

I have no image for this sisyphusian feel

>Why the fuck did I get a degree that taught me close to no marketable skills. It's a fucking joke
Did you get CS degree expecting to learn all of the flavour of the month frameworks, that’s your own mistake.
You go to school to learn non perishable skills which are applicable generally later. Not to add a buzzword to your resume.

i got you senpai

Attached: itneverends.png (796x835, 188K)

Programming killed my passion for programming.
I enjoy making small little embedded things on occasion because it's very clean and straight forward, no frameworks on top of frameworks, people, or any of that bull shit. Just simple projects that don't feel like they're enveloping my life.
I'd fucking kill myself if I had to work on a huge old code base passed on for 10+ years, and thats the jobs of the majority of programmers.

its the people in academia kill your passion for programming. this guy has no hair
majority of them have ponytails

Attached: ac.png (680x680, 124K)

I studied "business information technology" which is supposed to be mix of IT and economy so that the students would understand the business applications of IT better, in essence it's meant to create middle managers, consultants and project managers. We studied each subject barely enough so that we could vaguely describe it and its purpose, but not effectively use the required tools for the subject. Most of the "economy" courses were complete horse shit as they were mostly about HR issues and soft skills instead of actual economics.
All off the IT related projects I advertised on my CV I did on my own. I'm currently a junior SysAdmin.

>studied each subject barely enough so that we could vaguely describe it and its purpose, but not effectively use the required tools for the subject
Sounds like my program. Turns out you need specialized certifications like project management and security+ to even qualify, and the positions require 5-10 years of experience, so the whole degree itself is worthless, not to mention the classes are very academic and scholarly focused with research papers instead of practicing actual employable skills. Would not recommend anyone go to college and just get certifications.

currently going through the same boat academically. where do you recommend i start for building real portfolio and learning more relevant, not super-surface level aspects?

Personality changes overtime, i used to be semi introvert but now im full time shut in after work because it fucking drains the life out of me doing white collar job. Thinking of going back to blue collar jobs so i don't fucking hate fixing computers as a hobby.

Academia is a theoretical study and research center. You may have been looking for a trade school.

nah, academia gave me hope and made it interesting. My job killed it and also makes me want to kill myself

what

what what

yes, it's because we have to put up with other classes/modules like one i got called "working in the computer industry" tthings like that make me hate being at uni since it's compeltely pointless and a waste of time but if i fail that module thats the whole of uni over. Also the way markschemes work you aren't encouraged to do your own thing and work beyond the stuff covered in lectures. anything you do outside of the markscheme will not be graded which makes it pointless to do

on a related subject, what are good alternative career paths not exactly computer related that you guys like?