Lol so which of you assholes fell for THIS fucking meme??

Lol so which of you assholes fell for THIS fucking meme??

Attached: lolusb.png (505x523, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oogJcFy90cI
goughlui.com/2014/10/01/usb-cable-resistance-why-your-phonetablet-might-be-charging-slow/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_anode
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was like $1 on monoprice and I was buying a different cable from them anyway so might as well get both

>muh corrosion resistance

Not buying gold plated everything... what are you... poor?
t. gold plated toilet user

BAHAHAHAHAHA GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE

fuck off, king midas

>not using gold-leaf toilet paper

>he doesn't exclusively use 24k equipment

Attached: Flash Gold 010025 solid gold.jpg (1001x667, 42K)

As stupid as it may seem gold plating on usb cables do 2 main things:
1.) Make them last longer by inhibiting tarnishing of contacts
2.) Improve transfer of data/current and maintain stable long term connections

Instead of using pure gold for the contact pins on usb cables, a copper zinc alloy (ie brass) is used because it is magnitudes cheaper. The problem is while copper and its alloys do not "rust" they still develop an oxidized layer from being exposed to oxygen/moisture. Copper oxide tarnish IS NOT electrically conductive so acts as a resistor between contacts which causes the 5V voltage to drop which will slow down charging and can cause data transfers to fail. Gold plating the contacts prevents all this because gold literally cannot react with oxygen or moisture so no layer of oxidation is produced and electrical conductivity will be just as good as the day you opened the usb cable package. The reason you'd want to go gold plated is because in all probability the usb cable you're purchasing already has tarnish on the surface of the contact pins so you'll get a shitty cable day 1 and it will slowly get worse over time. So even if a gold plated usb cable has been sitting inside a hot humid shipping container for years you are guaranteed to get good electrical conductivity of the contact pins day 1 and no tarnish will form on it over time.

If you already have a non gold plated usb cable you can still remove the tarnish by cleaning the contacts with vinegar or a polishing compound but getting gold plated cables would be easier imho.

This, there is a benefit to it, and they're not even significantly more expensive
Paying $50 for one is dumb, sure, but they don't cost that much

I think you both fell for the meme. Gold conducts a LOT worse than copper. And cables do not corrode easily...unless you keep them outside or in a bottle of vinegar when they're not in use.
Furthermore yea they're more common now but about 10 years ago a simple 3 foot long gold-plated printer cable literally cost 50 bucks. total ripoff.

You know what conducts even worse than that? Brass used in the fucking contacts you MONG. You know what conducts even WORSE that that? Copper oxide.

They don't corrode, they tarnish you and said tarnish inhibits electrical conductivity and increases the gap between contact pins and adds a resistor right dab in the middle of both of them. Also only chink cables would unironically use copper for the contact pins as that tends to tarnish quickly than the brass (ie copper zinc allow) normally used.

My gold plated hdmi wire works better than my friends for input lag on his tv, this I know for a fact.

i have my HDMI wrapped in blue LEDs to cool the electrons on the way to my TV, helps prevent burn in.

I attached some special crystals to my HDMI cable which aligns the harmonic distortions with the chakras of the room, leading to a lower noise floor and better image/audio quality.

youtube.com/watch?v=oogJcFy90cI

While most usb cables that are not gold plated don't rust, they still tarnish and said tarnish does not conduct electricity. This is the same reason why car battery terminals must be cleaned at least once a year to prevent car ignition problems or a complete failure to start.

However usb cables unless super dirt cheap will use brass contacts which significantly resist tarnishing more than copper alone. However they will still tarnish, it's only a matter of time. Gold plating removes this worry.

That's it. Gold plating won't do anything else other than guarantee your cables won't tarnish at the contacts. They can still fail from other things.

What REALLY matters is AWG of charging wires and overall cable length. Dirt cheap 10 foot usb cables made with 26/28 AWG will only be able to charge at 500mA or ~2W no matter how many amps the usb charger can crank out. Cutting down the length to 3 feet with the same 26/28 AWG wires lets you charge at 1,000mA or ~4W. A 6-inch cable even if using 26/28 AWG can charge up to 2,400mA or ~10W.

When in doubt, get the 6-inch one.

goughlui.com/2014/10/01/usb-cable-resistance-why-your-phonetablet-might-be-charging-slow/

Meme all you want but his hdmi wire for his ps3 had massive input lag for the Last Of Us and my HDMI wire I brought was the fix for it.

Gold plated contacts are a good idea though

Cool. What did you use to measure it, and what were the results?

Plating cable connectors with gold is like the only real use for gold, it is useless otherwise. People just hoard it because it's shiny and then let it sit on a shelf doing nothing. At least with cables it's actually doing something beneficial. I wouldn't mind if electronics were the only place where gold is being used at all, I don't need to look like a christmas tree.

>he doesn't buy audioquest USB cables
ok poorfags

I did, beats having rusty or oxidized connectors, they don't cost much more anyways.

>When in doubt, get the 6-inch one.
This is perhaps the most retarded advice itt yet.
When it doubt, get the 22/24 AWG one.

after the economy collapses and I'm able to trade my usb cables for food we'll see who's laughing

Dude, at work we have a gold plated optical toshlink.
>gold plated
>its optical
Want a meme, that's a meme.

i dont think this is as bad as the 40gbp+ hdmi meme

gold is shiny, so it lets the light go through easier

they're all like that though

Not as if i actually go looking for it

That's very cool, baby. But that's nothin'

Attached: 41Sa4gewEgL._SL1010_[1].jpg (1010x600, 27K)

gold plating metal only prevents corrosion up to a certain point. if you make a dent in it and the other metal starts showing, the gold plating actually causes it to corrode faster.

that's why nobody ever uses fully gold-plated rims, even the biggest pimps use chrome and keep the gold dollar signs away from the wheel
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_anode

What you just described won't happen with brass because it doesn't rust and there is no electrolyte between contacts when connected. When brass is exposed to oxygen and moisture the copper develops a layer of copper oxide but the zinc in it acts as a sacrificial anode (see water heater sacrificial anodes) so that will rust first.

However said brass will still tarnish because over time there won't be enough zinc to crucify so copper will tarnish next and the result is copper oxide which does not conduct electricity (see car starting problems/failures from tarnished battery terminals). Gold plating prevents any form of tarnishing and maintains electrical conductivity from day one to day 1,000 and beyond.

However yes, even though the contact pins are shielded on connectors like micro-usb/usb-c (reason why lightning fails often) the docking and undocking action will erode the gold away but this won't happen for years.

Also off topic but it's ironic how boomers like us would blow into N64 cartridges which would add moisture on the surface of the brass contacts and actually accelerate tarnishing. Had a lot of those die that way.

I can't believe nobody has fucking said this yet: you can remove or at least significantly reduce the tarnish on the brass contacts by plugging and unplugging the cable 10-20 times. This will effectively "reset" it.

>let's gum up our physical ports by mashing shit in them

I like that trips identify themselves so you can just filter them

Attached: foru.jpg (750x881, 88K)

> gold
> can't afford platinum
Lol

It worked for N64 cartridges, the fact that we blew air into them to "clean" them actually sped up tarnishing like the guy above me said. OFC if your ports are clogged with dirt/grime you should clean them with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol but that won't get rid of the tarnish on the contact pins. For that just plugging/unpligging the connector a few times will wear down the layer of tarnish.

If you're autistic about it you can buy brass polish to get the contacts 99% like factory new but the plug/unplug method is good enough desu.

Holy fucking shit, trip negro was right. It literally just brought back 2 charging cables I thought were dead back to life and made a 6 foot one charge faster (was 600-700mA, now 700-800mA). wtf

Hiemi shekelgrabberberg here
I love GOLD plated cables

i only sell gold-plated cables to plebs