/ag/ - Audio General

Baltic heritage edition

Attached: 7bd5e46f0f5f.jpg (1300x861, 144K)

Attached: vintage_pioneer.jpg (1024x683, 58K)

damn, i still have these badboys playing LR-2 (or other) radio at my summer garden house

Classic shit from way back when. Here in Lithuania lot of older folks had or still have some kind of radiotehnika equipment, mostly speakers.

bamp

bump

lol

Attached: 1537813293441.jpg (501x886, 112K)

Is this the place to ask about microphone setups? I'm looking to get an XLR mic and whatever comes along with that because the C920 mic fucking sucks. Anyone have a mic recommendation? I can figure out the rest.

u47fet

I guess I should have put a budget. Something that will sound better than Yeti trash for less.

Attached: 8c3.jpg (496x496, 134K)

at2020

>speakers that show the frequency response on the baffle
every time

That's more like it

Obtain erection
Achievement unlocked

anything that beats this yet?

Attached: 71GhZ-zdnTL._SX425_ (1).jpg (425x425, 26K)

yes

Very nice, OP.

Attached: IMG_0004321.jpg (4000x3000, 3.12M)

Listening to small KEFs.

Attached: kef_sp3235_1493552673_a698f09d.jpg (1080x1080, 141K)

what

Those look nice. I have some pretty old concentric driver speakers like that and they really image fantastic and sound great overall.

Kef really developed that design a lot further if you look at recent models, so it was for sure a great direction they went. Great for nearfield.

is that bass driver free air? what speaker is that?

is there a buying guide for speakers?

I have a turntable

Attached: IMG_8752x.jpg (2048x1536, 1010K)

depends too much on application (room size, listening distance, goals, existing equipment) and nobody really agrees anyways.

so this general is just /bst/ pics with zoomed in audio stuff

Attached: IMG_4725y.jpg (2048x1536, 768K)

Attached: IMG_4718x.jpg (1024x768, 188K)

sometimes. it's hit or miss, sometimes you get some really good advice or interesting discussions. /bst/ has a lot of pretty poor audio setups in it for the most part, but yeah there is some cross posters.

Can anyone tell me what a good record player & cassette player would be? Want to buy them for my husband's birthday.

Am considering purchasing Wilson’s later this year. Not that I expect anyone here to care, but does anyone have experience with $50k+ stereo components? I’ll have a budget of like $100k.

I have a few.

Attached: 20190307_195742.jpg (2560x1440, 1.26M)

Attached: retry.jpg (2160x2880, 2.17M)

kill yourself iris

Attached: 718wilson.promos_0.jpg (600x612, 119K)

Attached: DSC_0706.jpg (650x800, 72K)

>turntable
pro-ject debut carbon
rega planar
fluance rt-81
fluance rt-84
>cassette deck
any vintage from popular name brands

Attached: 0488122D-3A2D-4403-B198-DAD447199232.jpg (580x386, 63K)

Anything

These things are so fucking ugly

they looks like transformer shit droplets

except jbl m2 and lsr308, kef reference, harbeths, magnepans and focal grand utopias im assuming, cause those were worse than ksc75

i sold my fucking s50b's as a retarded teenager for 50 yuros. worst decision of my life. they were absolutely insane.

technics 1200 or 1210

I have experience with Meridian. I think if you have a giant budget, do what makes you happy, but it's a luxury purchase rather than a technically smart one. You don't need to spend that kind of money for good sound, and there are speakers for less that sound better. Also make sure to consider your room acoustics.

But again, sometimes people have a ton of money and want some luxury product, and I don't hate them for that.

>tfw you finish the cabinets and realise you don't have any cable terminals

Attached: WhatsApp Image 2019-03-05 at 20.41.09.jpg (1442x1443, 151K)

I have factory made (akai, made in japan) horns that are hardwired like that.

Attached: luke-skywalker-wig-and-beard.jpg (1750x2500, 456K)

Attached: akai-jet-road-system-sw-30.jpg (1450x1088, 375K)

How do i acheieve nigger bass thats loud but not loud enough to piss of the neighbours?

I ordered a bunch of banana plugs but they're too large for all of my equipment, I knew they came in slightly different shapes but I thought they were all the same size
Is there some standard?

They're cheap.
Noticeable honk.
But the fe103's great.

Attached: akai-jet-road-system-sw-30 (1).jpg (1450x1088, 253K)

Attached: 14741a68_5-waybindingpost.jpg (450x738, 84K)

Thank you for the diagram, but I don't think this really answered my question. I've had my speakers setup directly via 'straight wire' for a few days now while I waited for this thread to come back up.
When I unscrew everything from the little amplifier I bought while I try and shop around for a stereo, even with the no caps on there's physically not enough room to fit the banana plugs I bought.
My speakers still have caps on them too which I haven't bothered to remove since I'm just using speaker wire and it seems like a hassle at best to remove those little fuckers.

>5-way binding post
>Only show 4 ways to bind

Attached: 1551774025060.jpg (480x360, 17K)

>not counting the null set

the absolute state of consumer audio

Attached: AVimg_13607.jpg (960x640, 62K)

neutrik speak-on . apng

>5-way binding post

Attached: large_insulated_alligator_clip_CT2392A.jpg (2400x1613, 151K)

you can redeem your retarded past-self and get them for under 100 euros ez

Any comment if dacs or amps are worth it for a computer setup with headphones? I do not know if I should invest in it.

Not sure if this is the wrong general but I'm looking for a record player most likely with a built-in stereo if it isn't shit to play some 12inch vinyls from artists that only put their shit into vinyl. Does anyone have some guides for getting into this? I want to start off cheap and just pick up a vinyl and record player today.

Should I downsample all of my 96khz+ music to 44.1khz? I'd keep the bit depth for those that are 24bit, but this would save me a pretty large chunk of space and it'd still be higher res than a CD because of the increased bit depth.
And if so, should I use SoX?

Attached: 27.jpg (320x320, 29K)

Try just doing it in something like Audacity, test the 44.1 copies as blindly as you can to see if you can legit notice a difference, then either keep the 96 or dump them depending on what you find.

What's a good pair of bassy 2.1 desktop speakers that are under $100?

he won't be able to tell the difference, especially if downsampling from the same source with SoX.
nyquist bruh

Well, we all know that objectively, but it's the best way to confirm it for himself beyond his personal biases.

What are the best 200-300$ monitors?

While you're at it, do some testing with 44.1/16 copies as well. That might sound just as good to your ear as 24-bit; could save you even more space.

just watched techmoan cleaning his records, took him an awful lot of effort. seriously, LP is for pretentious faggots like users on steve hoffman forum.

There's no reason for a excuse. If you like LPs buy them. Fuck audio reasons or that crap I started my own collection like 10 years ago and I will never be regret for do it. So fuck everything's opinion, do what you want to do.

Eh I'd rather keep the bit depth the same since I have seen measurements of improper bit dithering fucking some albums up, even though I could probably avoid that. Also I want to differentiate between things that are CD sourced and things that are HDtracks or Vinyl sourced, and I don't keep log files so...
Also a lower noise floor from a higher bit depth will MOST LIKELY, should I ever get more resolving equipment, be more noticeable than a higher sample rate.

a pair or a piece?
i'm saving for adam t5v's personally but those are $400 a pair.
steve hoffman forum users clamor about CD releases too though (and a lot of the time they actually have a point, dynamic range wise.)

Can de-emphasis affect an album's dynamic range?
I have a copy of Thriller from its first Japanese run, and it has DR values of 14-16 across the board, but it also has pre-emphasis and after I de-emphasize with SoX (and -D tag) the values go to 12-14

go to find MFSL masterings or commonly praised masterings, pretty good for CDs

is audio techinca lp-120 good?

>audio techinca lp-120
just buy something old as fuck for cheap and replace the cartridge/stylus

My B&W 683 speakers are being driven by a Denon AVR-X4000 (stereo 2.0). I feel like the amp doesn't have enough power to feed them properly. On paper everything is fine, but when compared to a Vincent SV-700 (4000$ tube amp) I can hear a huge difference and I don't even consider myself any way near of being an audiophile. How can this be possible? With the AVR I have to volume mostly on 70-85% but even over 90% isn't uncomfortably loud which is kinda strange with speakers like this and the bass frequencies are almost completely missing compared to the tube amp.

I originally went with an AVR, because my audio source is a PC. So I wanted to have HDMI over graphics card. Not sure if I should switch to a proper tube amp and have some HMDI DAC in between. But from a technical perspective this simply doesn't make much sense.

Highly depends on your headphones. With some it's absolutely necessary to have a preamp or they will be way too silent. I would say DACs can be a huge deal if you have an extremely bad sound card like in a business notebook for example. But it's overall pretty hard to tell. I would say with an average modern motherboard and headphones (without mic) for under 150$ you should be fine.

It's probably more important for headphones than speakers.
>DAC - Schiit Modi 3 - $100
>Amp - JDS Labs Atom - $100
and you will literally never need to upgrade again because both of these rate so highly and are hands down the best value for PC audio
if you ever invest in speakers just buy powered monitors (ie they plug into the wall) and use the Atom (amp) as a pre-out to the speakers so you wn't have to have another box plugged into your desk.
if you want to save some money and again only need headphones, the Fiio K3 is a combo DAC/Amp for $110 and you really can't go wrong with it.

>schiit
>not d10

Attached: Topping D10 DAC vs Behringer UMC204HD vs Schiit Fulla Jitter Measurement.png (1122x905, 71K)

>schiit
>ever

Attached: 1524623080651.png (366x380, 24K)

What is that man even saying? Isn't that the kanji for fish in the first sentence?

The Fulla has jitter yes, I said the Modi 3 specifically. Also the issues seen over USB in this photo are only over ASIO USB, WASAPI or DS USB are in-line with the fantastic SPDIF performance.
I don't like Schiit's amps or more expensive "shit", but I do like the Modi a lot
>inb4 no DSD support
DSD is a meme and cheaper DACs have shitty DSD implementations as well so it's not even worth mentioning.

Attached: Schiit Modi 3 DAC Jitter Measurement.png (1113x600, 72K)

i'm gonna have to second that user, the modi 3 is solid.

No. storage is cheap

update: I've made a few test conversions and what is this weird artifact showing up in the 16 bit dithered output? it doesn't show up in the 16 bit non dithered or the 24 bit 44/1 encode...
when a significant chunk of my library is hi res, being able to cut that filesize in half makes a massive difference in what i can bring wih me at any given time
"storage is cheap" is the argument of bloat and hoarding

I am an idiot that forgot to post the image

Attached: Untitled.png (1531x1162, 1.4M)

Soundblaster 16 reporting in.

Attached: Audition_2019-03-09_10-54-49.png (1386x798, 881K)

I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my stereo setup. I think I'm willing on spending around 1000$ at max. Some people recommend having two smaller subs over one larger one. I think it kinda makes sense. However would you consider using two 500$ subs over one lets say SVS PB-2000? I think those dual subs people think of dual PB-2000 at least and compare it to 2000$ dollar subs.

just fuckin go on ebay and buy a used velodyne for $200

I will check them out as I don't know of them just yet. The internet seems overly hyped about the SVS subs, seems like marketing to me. But still the question remains for 1000$ dual vs single sub? Ebay is not an option, I never buy used stuff it's not my thing.

Depends on your setup, but the general rule is that in a medium-to-large room, 2 small subs > 1 large. As far as SVS, there's a lot of hype but I've yet to talk to someone who's had a problem with one. I've got an SB-1000 myself, and wouldn't hesitate to get another if I needed to. Performs much more evenly than my old JBL Sub150P, although I was able to smooth THAT one out pretty well with a MiniDSP.

great thanks, I'm also open to other suggestions than SVS. But I'm in Europe and I think buying subs from some weird places can get incredibly expensive.

that's the noiseshaping of the dithering algorithm you used

this also just don't bother with dithering if going to 16 bit, and i recommend being at 24/44.1 because bit depth is more important than sample rate (which is not what people here will tell you but oh well)

Attached: 1539367864151.jpg (1920x1080, 146K)

>Just remembered my Marantz PM94 is STILL at the audio shop for repairs after almost 5 years now
>Look after my dads place while he's in hospital and realize he's been looking after my B&W 603S3's and 603S1's for almost as many years

Need advice on how to approach the audio repair guys. They've had the amp since late 2014 but I've not seen anything in the way of feedback or reports. I did call them a couple years ago to check in on it, but they were waiting for some part. The shop comes fairly well regarded, so I don't think they're being shady (as it is somewhat of a special amplifier) but fuck man, 5 years?

Attached: 20190130_231106.jpg (697x1239, 214K)

>PM94
Mfw I thought that was rust
It's copper plated?

Attached: 26305461685_f6f4d4562b_b.jpg (728x582, 133K)

The only JBL pro I've got.

Attached: JBL 2350.jpg (1440x1676, 486K)

I've gotten that picture already saved, lol

'twas thrift store bargain, right?

Yup. $20.
I just don't know what to do with them.

Attached: 20181027_113500.jpg (2880x2160, 2.51M)

Bigger subs truly are better

Attached: 20190215_132919.jpg (1848x1040, 313K)