/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: cutex40.jpg (300x208, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B0145WDNF2/
thepiratebay.org/torrent/10117551/Windows_7_Pro_64.ISO
seattle.craigslist.org/est/sys/d/bellevue-thinkpad-x240-premium/6835934434.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hello, /tpg/. I bought a E580 a month ago. Judge me

I'm torn between getting an X240 or T440p for my first thinkpad. Mostly for shitposting and as a media machine. I'm leaning towards the X series because they're cheaper and I think they're cute. Thoughts?

for what it's worth t440p is pretty fat and if shitposting is all you do you don't need a lot of power, I'd go with x240 here or maybe t440s

I'd recommend the X240 if you're not going to do anything to demanding on it. The X-series is just allround nicer than the T series

Thanks lads, I'll keep looking at the X240 then. The most intensive thing I'll do on it might be the occasional 2D game, for everything more demanding I've still got my desktop.
I've been looking around and I've read some conflicting things about replacing the trackpad with the x250 one. Some say you can just pop it straight in, others talk about having to modify stuff so it'll fit. Do any of you know about this?

Jow Forumsents, is the A485 safe to buy yet? Some cunt on plebbit says he's having no troubles on kubuntu 18.10, but he fails to explain anything in detail. Do the random freezes still occur? Is the battery life somewhat decent yet? Thanks.

Seems to depend on the manufacture date of the X240. It seems that they changed the profile of the palmrest on the later X240 models to be compatible with the X250 trackpad. But if your X240 is of the older model you should be able to just replace the palmrest with the newer pattern when replacing the touchpad.
However take this with a grain of salt since I just did a simple google search

Thanks, senpai. I'll just see if I end up hating the *40 trackpad enough to replace it before digging further into this.

No prob my dude
If you've never used a thinkpad before it's probably not that bad but from what I've heard the trackpoint is unusable with it so it all depends on whether or not you want to use the trackpoint

based amd buyer

I have a T440p with Kubuntu installed. If I plug my charger in while the system is awake, it doesn't charge and the LED just keeps flashing. If I close the lid and then plug it in, it starts charging, and continues to charge when I open the lid again. Anyone know why this might be happening?

reposting from prev thread:
is there any chance the P series will get coreboot support in the near future?

So, my Ebay X301 came with a Qualcomm WWAN card. Can I do anything interesting with this? (besides just buying a SIM from Verizon, lol)

Attached: X301.jpg (2000x2182, 619K)

no

I just got this beauty today and installed debian with muh i3wm, its cute and peak comfy.
Anons, have i just found the cutest thinkpad?

Attached: x41chan.jpg (1280x720, 60K)

No, the 240 is and will always be.

>besides just buying a SIM from Verizon
I think you can't do anything without a SIM card in it. After that you'll get GPS and you can use map and navigating things. If you want to activate it and get mobile data then there's that too. But the GPS part is free and should just work as long as there is a SIM card in it.

I said cutest, not funniest, silly...

Nu-uh

Attached: 300px-IBM_Thinkpad_240X.jpg (300x229, 12K)

The S30 is pretty cute too though.

Attached: 1522928415176.png (1200x900, 1.59M)

i have one, have the floppy drive too

on another note:
are there custom bios that remove white list for x240 - x270?
any chance these will get coreboot within next 2 years?

>1366x768
disgusting

no, moron

I see the appeal, but it just wouldnt be very cute without the external floppy drive.

Indeed, very cute.

>chance
Nope. Keep in mind that not even x220 - thats sandybridge, has been exploited yet.

is coreboot de-botnetted enough?
really want to get a W530 and flash coreboot but am paranoid about bios backdoors

finally finished my stickie took loke 3 hours to cut out and stick on :3

Attached: IMG_20190307_223224.jpg (3840x2160, 632K)

Anyone have trouble compiling coreboot for a t420 on a raspberry pi?

Getting strange errors when compiling GCC toolchain.

Let's try to have a bit less pedophilia in this thread please? I care about your well designed business laptops, not your thinly veiled desire to molest fictitious children.

Attached: 1489610482521.jpg (412x408, 40K)

like*

cute

Impressive.

it's the anime?

x201 cutest thinkpad

Attached: 1551692915619897.jpg (1740x2320, 2.79M)

It feels like they've infested this website recently. Idk if I've just gotten more sensitized to it but I feel like I see more pedo shit around here than I used to. Desktop threads specifically are fucking awful.

t. redditor arrived in 2016

>recently
No

loli weebsite

Attached: loli.jpg (216x215, 53K)

Try redditor arrived in 2013 but good attempt
2016 was when Jow Forumsthe_donald migrated over here and took a dump all over this site.

The whole cunny thing is certainly recent, maybe not pedo shit in general though.

How dare you sully an excellent laptop with your filth. Do you think John Thinkpad intended his laptops to harbour such depravity?

Attached: 1480003265873.png (1127x670, 463K)

Fucking jealous. Missed out on an S30 a while ago because the bid just went way out of my budget

nice desu

Not mine I'm afraid, just a random pic off the internet.
Wish I had one though but they're too expensive ;_;.

p-pls respont

pls help

nvmd I just pulled the plug on it and somehow it still worked

fucking scary tho

dropped my new X220 on floor and it now have massive chip in the plastic corner of wrist rest

FFFFFFFUCK

Get a new palm rest. That's why you got a ThinkPad.

can i get one for like 3 bucks?
also can I just say this keyboard is fucking S E X and the thumb on mousepad, finger on red lined left click paddle is S E X I E R

dont fucking compile on a raspberry pi. compile ong your desktop. only use the pi for flashing.

anyone?

install windows 10 LTSC

>can i get one for like 3 bucks?
I think they're closer to $5-$7.

Do you have tlp installed?

works on my machine

Question 1: do I want full HD for the x240 if I'll mostly mess around with Matlab
Question 2: what are the IPS panels I should get either 768p or 1080p

want to get a biggish laptop for my dad, might as well grab a thinkpad

would like ssd upgrade and a REALLY nice display, as well as the x220 styled keyboard

what do you guys reccomend?

FHD T520
that being said, if your dad is old and has eyesight problems then you might want a 1366x768 screen instead

Take it out because it's a proprietary tracking device.

Wow! That turned out really well! Nice job!

Don't ignore me. Upgrade to a X200. You can keep the X201 head for the nice LED panel, but the mobo and the chassis you need to upgrade and Libreboot.

Yikes... You're going to be waiting a while compiling on a Raspi. It's also just as proprietary as any other device in your house, so go ahead and do it there and save some time.

If you're paranoid, get a T/W500 and install Libreboot. With Coreboot you still have a little tiny blob of proprietary software you'll have to run in order to keep your system on for any extended period of time. It's been reversed and as far as people can tell, it's harmless. However, it's still signed proprietary software. If a backdoor is discovered in it, you won't be able to get away from it.

Attached: Aesthetic_Librebooted_W500.jpg (2136x1424, 1.96M)

here

Still trying to find a Win 7 professional iso for my newly acquired W520 (with prof 7 CoA). I can't get 1fichier to work for me for the life of me, does anyone have any alternative routes? Dingus deleted the restoration partition before selling it to me.

I'm trying to be good and legit here and the world just doesn't want me to.

think I'll just deal with the proprietary blobs in coreboot then, W500 is way too old

compatible RAM for T440p?
amazon.com/dp/B0145WDNF2/

I want a W500 and I want one badly.

thepiratebay.org/torrent/10117551/Windows_7_Pro_64.ISO

Windows already spies on you so no harm done if there's a Russian tracker built into this, right? Just check the hash before you install anything, search it online to see if it's genuine.

anything ddr3 or ddr3l will work fine

I was told for 16GB (8GBx2) it needs to be DDR3L, is that not true?

normal 1.5v ddr3 works fine
t. using 4+1 ddr3 sticks on my t440p

how do i make my Z61m stop beeping when i type too fast
it makes a beep if i press too many keys at once
fast typing on this kind of keyboard is hard enough, i dont need it beeping at me

Is this a good deal?

seattle.craigslist.org/est/sys/d/bellevue-thinkpad-x240-premium/6835934434.html

you're hitting multiple keys at once, certain combinations just aren't supported. You must be rising your fingers off the keys too slowly. If you lift a bit faster (or press a bit slower) you won't have this issue.

I'm not too familiar with pricing in the US but to me it looks like a pretty good deal

i type around 140wpm, i dont want to type slower
its probably the only good skill i have

shit
im gonna try and pay attention to how long im holding down keys then, it doesnt seem like its actually that long

please know I love your aesthetics

record a video of you typing 140wpm on a Thinkpad, I want to see if you're fake and gay or not

You can disable the keyboard beep in the BIOS under config > beep and alarm.

So I need some kind of SIM in there even if I'm not paying for any service, just to use GPS? Could I put a dummy card in? lol

>be scientist
>super important, phd and everything
>decide antarctica might be the place for my science
>move my science there
>bring team of science people
>first day at science station, fire up our 50 ThinkPads
>ice melts
>shit
>press conference
>"global warming, guys."
>gas prices double
>thanks, Lenovo

Is an x60s still useable for light things (the heaviest being this website)?

Im using a mobile c2d right now to browse this.
Works fine, youtube plays OKish
Max the ram and use a lighter operating system. I use XP but 7 still works fine on these older machines. 10 may or may not eat all the fuckin ram
linux wise you can get away easily with anything thats not unity

Of course, i use my X61t running W10 ltsc every day.

I love my x230t, but I can't wait for my replacement keyboard to get here so I can swap it.

Attached: screenFetch-2019-03-07_18-51-03.png (1366x768, 151K)

yup. SSD and maximum RAM are just necessary if you ask me, but then it's fine. run linux.

i use an x61s for essays and occasional browsing, works pretty well. even youtube plays, although i'd still reccomend using youtube-dl

>T490 spec announced
>Soldered RAM
>External batttery removed
>Forced to use a 50W internal battery

oh no no no no no

the best part about t490 is that t480 will get cheaper

You realize there literally used to be a fucking loli BOARD on this site, right?

How do I check if my several year old 9 cell T430 battery health?

is healthy*

Which of these are generally the cheapest?

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

now this is autism, and I'm lovin it
anime website
is x201 better than x200?

tlp stat

Who tf compiles anything on a pi

At this point, the T410/510s are the cheapest with T420s sometimes getting pretty cheap too. X series is on a roller coaster in prices, and W series can be relatively cheap, but you have to be patient to find anything below $200. T440/540 series will stay in the $100-250 range until more of them flood the market.

how much does your battery last?
I'm thinking of just buying a new 6cell (56Wh), with almost 50% of the original battery I manage to get around 4 hours of battery in fedora, I think if you don't have the hdd in the bay it lasts longer since it can't be suspended apparently (tlp config file says only dvd reader can). And my experience kinda of proves this, I get a bit more without an hdd there. Probably even better with ssd instead of the noisy hdd.
So with a new 56Wh battery I would get around 7+ hours, and 13+ with a 100Wh 9 cell.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-07 19-25-38.png (1600x900, 1.06M)

>anime website
Do all anime fans jerk off to children?

No

Attached: 1531314491617.png (189x284, 59K)

I unironically bought and enjoy the t25 retro

Tempted to throw this thing out a window at this point. Compared to my X200 it's a shitshow. Hardly as durable, very difficult to service, and now it looks like my primary sata port is dying. I had to swap my boot drive into the ODD bay for now to make sure it's not just the drive. I dunno man... They're just barely worth the hassle compared to a X200. If you want something bigger and more powerful, get a Librebootable server board.

Thank you

Attached: programming_socks_thinkpad1.jpg (1709x1139, 782K)

>"anime website"
me and the bros like anime too but we are not pedophiles

Attached: gigachads.jpg (640x648, 69K)

How's it holding up?

Gay.