Boomer Bosses

>Scientist, 28 years old
>Write my own Python scripts to process data, create graphs, database results, etc.
>Takes the script about 5 minutes to produce 24 graphs & some csv's, has a shitty tkinter gui
>goodenough.mp4
>Boomer boss constantly berates me for using "coding"
>Tells me to use Excel instead
>Shows me his spreadsheets
>~50 sheets
>~25 locked
>Have to copy and paste new data into the "input" sheet to process a new set of data, then save that Excel book as a new file
>He pastes data in to show me how "easy" it is
>Computer visibly struggling, bead of sweat exiting the tower just below the Dell logo
>Colleagues in the office all turn to look as the tower shakes and hums
>WhiteTransparency.dll
>MicrosoftExcelisnotresponding.jpeg
>"M-m-must be the bad wifi!"
FUCK BOOMERS
'ATE EXCEL
'ATE MS OFFICE
'ATE WANGBLOWS
LUV PYTHON
LUV MATPLOTLIB
LUV VIRTUALBOX
SIMPLE AS

Attached: disgust.gif (500x251, 1.96M)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.office.com/en-us/article/connect-to-a-text-file-power-query-5d571c3a-3b05-43c5-9f7d-54d17a8557cb
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lol kys retarded zoomer fag

Attached: 1550309727983.gif (652x562, 626K)

lol christians

I mean excel is trash but python is also unbelievably slow for all data processing that isn't done by a C math function somewhere below, and at all I/O. Usually for each operation there are ten different functions from numpy, scipy, pandas, whatever the fuck, and they're all slow as fuck except for one or maybe two.

>Have to copy and paste new data into the "input" sheet to process a new set of data, then save that Excel book as a new file

you know that you can write macro for that, right? Like one line for saving file as a new document and maybe 5 lines to pick input data from dialog box and paste it to that input sheet

nigger are you comparing python and excel's performance
>fuck boomers
based. boomer don't belong in tech

Just think if you ever learn a real programming language you can lower that five minutes down to a few hundred milliseconds

Yes I know you can write Visual Basic macros in Excel, and that would be infinitely more acceptable to me than Boomer-tier copy-paste shit but why should I when I have a working program already (with improved functionality and less BLOAT)?
Yes I am aware of this, I am currently learning plain C but programming is not my career so it may take me a few months to get into it properly.
I've found that as long as you use the listed libraries, its not actually too slow (matplotlib is by far the worst), I don't actually _need_ it to be fast as I'm already 95% faster than my peers at data processing and report writing, I use the programs to reduce the tedium and likelihood of error, and also enable me to shitpost of Jow Forums during work hours.

Do you think T Swift would use excel or python?

based incel larper

Untyped lambda calculus

>as long as you use the listed libraries, its not actually too slow
All the fast parts of python are done in C.

>i-i-i-i-i-i-it doesn't count if you use the available tools at the right level!
>if you don't bash rocks against rocks every time you want to make a spreadsheet, you're just a rocklet!

you don't even know how good you have it until you have to work as an engineer. half the work force are brain dead boomer retards that don't do shit. when they decide to do something they are afraid of using a computer and either slap together some useless garbage or do it by hand like a fucking fifth grader.

Just get a different job, you fucking retard!

Attached: 1551403881093.jpg (699x468, 65K)

Test

You don't need to go to C to write some one off scripts. Use go for that. It's dead simple and reasonably fast.

>>Boomer boss constantly berates me for using "coding"
>>Tells me to use Excel instead
that’s your queue to leave. I believe your story, but from my experience it’s very rare to work in science and your boss doesn’t want you to program. Then again, I’ve only ever worked in academia.

>it’s very rare to work in science and your boss doesn’t want you to program
This. I wouldn't have a job if I couldn't program because I know absolutely nothing about the field I work in.

>WE ARE LOOKING FOR TOP 1% MASTERS STUDENT FOR THIS INTERNSHIP

>SKILLS NECESSARY: EXCEL

Attached: 8B0F6210-2A63-44C0-AE49-75CFFD2D719A.png (645x773, 11K)

You guys are all idiots. Of course C is fast and Python is slow. OP was comparing an automated process to a manual one. If he runs it even every hour, who cares how many "seconds" it takes. Spitting out CSVs and graphs is what Python is for.

>>"M-m-must be the bad wifi!"
wth*ck are desktops connected to wifi?

>Data analyst
>25
>Sr. Data analyst is a former software engineer
>We both work in python pandas doing great work.
>I am learning a lot from the Sr.
>Boss is a Boomer who is better at Excel than 90% of people on the planet, but is still a Boomer who uses a computer at a snail's pace
>Constantly demanding we do everything in Excel
>constantly arguing with Sr. About it.
> I write script to drop all my results into Excel.
>Create an icon so the Boomer can use it.
>Sr. Refuses to do the same
>Sr. Leaves for software job that doubles their salary
>Boomer triumphant
>Now in the search for people
>Boomer says they really don't want to hire another "programmer".

I am literally the only person who can program at this org now. I have been explicitly told not to do anymore programming so that things are "maintainable" after I leave.

Why did you even hire me for my specialized skills if I can only use the lowest common denominator software?

Remember to meet up with Sr once in a while for a beer. To keep in touch. A good opening pops up and you’re in the loop and leave a sinking ship.

OP just lean classic Visual Basic.
It is shit tier language but you can embed a fully blown program in a spreadsheet.

>"M-m-must be the bad wifi!"
Holy shit, what the hell is wrong with boomers?

Attached: dae.jpg (680x722, 51K)

This is true. But there is no incentive in many organizations to rise above the boomer background noise. Just keep your head down and clutter your desktop with excel documents, learn some managerspeak, collect your 3% annual raise and try to last as long as you can.

>MATPLOTLIB
>Not using qtplot

>do it by hand like a fucking fifth grader
Don't get me started on how helpless the office becomes in the event of a printer failure.
>you can't highlight a computer screen

>leave last company for exact same retard boomer berating me for automating shit to keep up with all the work
>insisted on manually doing shit
>”you’re NOT a programmer user”
>laterhomo.png
>larger new company asks about old company’s biggest contract that I was on
>mfw they wanna steal the contract from them
>mfw they wanna do it using my automation ideas and skills
>mfw they already sold the potential client on the idea by using our fucking name alone
I can’t wait to see that old cancerous place fucking burn. Fuck those boomer faggots.

Attached: 33AD1678-3E7E-47B0-AD0D-BA2D6A163019.png (384x448, 105K)

>>WE ARE LOOKING FOR TOP 1% MASTERS STUDENT FOR THIS INTERNSHIP

>>SKILLS NECESSARY: ABILITY TO LIAISE WITH INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL STAKEHOLDERS

Attached: 1547519353887-g.jpg (1249x1010, 244K)

You're a pretentious cunt, gratz.

Say
>"I can do this with code incredibly fast, or, if you want me to, I can use excel to do it, however, if I use excel, I may not be able to perform the same amount of work throughput as I currently am.
>I am using programming and code to get done what I'm doing because it is the most productive way I have yet found to work. You're paying me, you choose what I do, but if you demand I use a specific program, not just whatever's fastest, I want this demand in writing, so in future you will not be able to terminate my contract due to slower work throughput"
His money.

They’d just fire you for talking back. Boomers need to either retire or be killed. They are ruining our economy.

>Have to do thing
>Rather than just feeding it to python, write a macro that manually does this for thousands of entries
>Hit go, grab coffee for half an hour
>Come back
>"5% complete"
>Fuck around all day on PS vita, boss asks what the fuck I'm doing
>"Look, I'm doing what you told me to in excel, I can't touch my computer or it'll interrupt it"
>"WHY AREN'T YOU DOING IT YOURSELF VIA COPY PASTE LIKE I SHOWED YOU!"
>I am! I can only do one every three seconds by hand, now it's doing one a second!
>Boss wants me to do this slow shit so he can't complain
>Whole thing would have taken two seconds to execute in python

I have had something shockingly similar to this happen to me a while back

Biggest wealth transfer currently happening with boomers dying and their inheritance. It's just starting.

Did you come here after some tumblr ban wave, you retarded cunt?

Based
Cringe

>Then again, I’ve only ever worked in academia.
academia is not reflective of the industry in the least bit.

Praise for cutting productivity time.
I hate when normies can't comprehend the difference between programmatic and manual production. By the time he's done copying and pasting anyone with lvl 1 tier knowledge in python could build a script like ops.

Although why even bother using tkinter when cli works best imo.

To each their own.

you've described my company to a t. people either do exactly what you said, while constantly looking for ways not to do work/not to show up to work. one of my co-workers has worked at most 4 hours per day since new years. he doesn't even bother showing up every day. i'd say once or twice a week at most to make an appearance so managers don't become too suspicious. everyone else is also trying to pull some stunt like "remote work" (you call them and can hear them in a check out line at the store) or bullshit meetings/sleeping at work. i've only worked at that shithole for just over a year and already saw two of the boomers there sleeping at their desks in the middle of the day.

i don't know how much longer i'll be able to stand it there. fuck engineering in general.

one of the boomer retards prints out the emails he sends us and gives us physical copies in meetings. what the fuck is the point of doing that?

I don't understand why it seems the majority of companies are like this, the company I work for promotes automation and the use of it to cut productivity time

Un-based and anti-redpilled

This didn't happen. Boomers will suck your cock if you throw some code together that does magic.

Pathetic, just fuck off

>>Boomer boss constantly berates me for using "coding"
>>Tells me to use Excel instead
Oh boy, you're gonna love the mess that is VBA.

Have you used visual basic?
It never works as planned.

>ABILITY TO LIAISE WITH INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL STAKEHOLDERS
kek

i think any company that still employs the old guard is fucked like that. the place i'm working at has plenty of people that have been there for a decade, or few decades. the average employee age is easily around 40 years old. the new employees seem to either adapt to the fucked up work style, like that guy that shows up a couple times a week for 4 hours (he doesn't work from home if i didn't make that clear), or they quit (my plan).

i'm by no means claiming to be a hard worker or particularly career driven. i love to laze around and value my free time where i do little/nothing related to work. nonetheless, if i'm going to work then i'd still like to do something worthwhile and of value. i have no intention of becoming a pudgy fuck that wears baggy clothes and new balance shoes to work everyday where he doesn't do shit half the day and only looks forward to the next paycheck to buy some worthless trinkets/bullshit to brag about at work.

>Scientist, 28 years old
You're the boomer.

>Data analyst, 25
You're a boomer.

They pay my salary with their dumb shit it's ok

This but also R

We'd all be working for our own companies if banks actually fucking allowed us to take out loans.
But no, too much risk.

What about the risk of economic stagnation from no innovative businesses emerging?

This is your brain on C.

>Write python scripts for everything because I'm incompetent.
That's probably why he mentioned excel, which is still extremely useful btw. You'd know that if any of this was true or you had any clue what you were doing, pythonshill.
>Have to copy any paste data into excel...
Confirmed for incompetent python shill.

Please, develop your point of view

Nobody in their right mind would ever willingly write VBA script.

>excel, which is still extremely useful
Maybe for visualizing some things, but you would never do any serious data processing with it.

Unironically kill yourself you fucking FAGGOT BOOMER

>risk of economic stagnation
that's an externality user

Translation
>They're after boipussy

ITT: idiots that don't program rant about how one language they don't use is better than another language they've never used, demonstrate a complete lack of real world knowledge and completely ignore 95% of OPs post.

My current Production Manager has our entire data entry and previous experiment data that we rely on in excel and access and uses VBA and macros to handle the data entry and lookup. I cringe every time I look at the code.

support.office.com/en-us/article/connect-to-a-text-file-power-query-5d571c3a-3b05-43c5-9f7d-54d17a8557cb

Excel is kind of like Matlab in that you can splash around in it but its never going to be streamlined. A lot of things need that splashiness

>They’d just fire you for talking back
>"Talking back"
Is this how little respect employers have for their employees in America?
Fuck, I've never been fired, and fired nearly everyone I ever worked for, because I found something bigger and better.
There's been a few times which were "Yeah, so basically the projects over, we good?", but those are the minority. Fuck taking shit from bad employers. If someone tried voiding my contract for "Talking back", I'd sue them till I owned their fucking company, then I'd liquidate everything no matter how profitable, just to destroy everything they'd spend the last 20 years of their life building.
I may perform services for someone, but they are always the client, the underdog, never the other way around

Table.FromColumns({Lines.FromBinary(File.Contents("C:\sample.txt"),null,null,1252)})

Attached: url.jpe.jpg (504x442, 23K)

>Nobody in their right mind would ever willingly write VBA script.
Why did you bring it up, because its on your mind. Why though, boomer?
fuck off back to discord lying webshit boomer tranny

Just add an export to XLS, and pdf export for graphs.
Once I did the same my bosses usually chilled out