Desktop Support

I work in desktop support, AMA. I don't answer phones I'm tier 2 support so after the user calls the help desk they create a ticket and I go fix whatever the user has fucked up. I have no certs and make $24/hr.

What do people who are actual programmers and engineers think of the IT guy?

Attached: bigstock-Man-fixing-a-computer-21049976-c-r.jpg (2000x1333, 220K)

We're happy you're doing the job we would otherwise have to do.

I had a lady the other day call in a ticket for someone to plug her laptop docking station into her monitors. She was all like, "I could have done this, but that's what you're here for." A bit humiliating considering this lady is a software dev and it took 2 minutes. But easy money I guess.

>AMA
Link the most easy way to install win 7 on a new UEFI only PC (No Compatibility Support Module).

IDK mayne

I like the IT guy, it's easy to find subjects to talk about. They are usually very knowledgeable about tools and software and how to get the most out of configs.

Your job can easily be replaced by a piece of paper that instructs the user on what to do. You are literally the lowest of the low, essentially you are in business because people are lazy and dumb.

Once you move up to working on complex high tech systems with multiple components like myself making $50/hr, then you will be respected.

I agree we are the lowest of the totem pole and easily replaceable.

Thanks for the tip I'll look into some complex high tech systems with multiple components.

Thank you, user.

The worst part about being the IT guy is realizing how dumb everyone is you are around and having to deal with their dumb shit.

You are on a good path user, keep at it. You will be graced by the gods of technobobby.

install windows 10 or linux instead, 7 is deprecated

How do I become you? Currently looking at a job for level 1 support.
I have a degree in computing and currently studying for the Comptia, I would consider myself computer literate but not an expert.
I work in retail with boomers and zoomer who have no idea about tech besides smartphones so I am constantly fixing their problems on their pcs and printer.
Any advice for how to get the job?

Also what is the most difficult problem you have faced?

Win7 supports EFI installs, you just can't use Daz Loader.

My IT support is unioned, and we have assholes that slap our end users' hands going 'what the fuck that's union protected work' over reseating a mouse.

You are a ticket jockey.

t. Security Engineer

i did tier 1 support for an ISP for a year before getting into the tier 2. i'm now up to a tier 4 position, don't take calls, don't interact with customers, and only work tickets and other projects. generally at this level it's mostly backend stuff that is broken we fix (i.e., direct access to source code, databases, etc.)

I just got a job at a tier 1 help desk place for NASA. What can I expect

i do desktop support too
i see myself more or less as a mechanic for PCs (as in a car mechanic)
and just like people who dont know how to do shit with their cars other than sit behind the wheel and press the gas pedal and will always need mechanics, DS will always be around, no matter how many instruction papers you hand them
plus i get fed on a daily basis by all the grateful people in the office, and i'm well liked enough to keep my job secure
half the time i'm doing other things i enjoy while waiting for the inevitable "my mouse is not working!" or "my screen just turned off!" type of deals, which are absolutely non-issues, take 5 minutes to fix (4 to walk to the person's cube or office, 1 minute to shoot the shit, and 0.0 seconds to fix)
and i get a huge "i dont know what this company would do without you user! you're so much better than those other IT guys that always look so stressed and angry!" (ie the IT security, network admins, etc etc). and those same IT people are always grateful that I deal with the users and share upcoming issues and whatnot so i'm part of "the team" without the stress

help desk (especially remote) sucks ass. desktop support is heaven.

Wish you guys could be more involved with the senior techs. Everything we deal with is the same you deal with, just on a bigger level.

>Be me, IT support intern working a large electrical company. Basically do desktop support shit.
>Walking from the train station to work at 6:45 am (why the fuck do union trades people like waking up so early).
>Coworker calls me, tells me he's running late and I need to run to the conference room to plug in a USB and start a powerpoint thats displayed on a big TV. Some big corporate meeting starts at 7am and that powerpoint needs to be up before then. This was suppose to be his job but he never comes to work on time, so he's making me do it.
> I book it to the conference room, walk in at 6:55, there are like 20 people in the room, all important higher ups in the company, just sitting there in business suits looking at me. President of the company is there.
> I walk over to the computer, hands shaking, I can tell everyone is watching me. I plug in the USB, the mouse icon is really small on the big TV and the sensitivity is really high,I can barely see it.
>Takes me like 3 minutes to open powerpoint, everyone is still looking at me, talking among themselves.
>I finally get the powerpoint up, test the keyboard to make sure they can scroll through the presentation.
>Walk out without saying anything and go to my office.
>A few minutes later, my other co worker calls me, tells me the powerpoint isnt working and I need to head back there.
> I run back there about to have a panic attack. Luckily by the time I got there the other coworker made it to work and was there, he told me they fixed it themselves before I got there. (They couldn't figure out to use the arrow keys to change the slides).
>Walk back to my office, few hours later the president of the company comes into the IT office and chastises me in front of coworkers. Tells me I should have asked them if they knew how to scroll through powerpoint before I left, told me the conference was delayed a few minutes because of me.

Fuck my life and fuck desktop support.

Do you know how to program and design a complex system? Do you understand hardware well enough to help them design new components ?

I couldn't be doing this dumb shit all day long but I guess I'd get laid more instead of hitting the strip club

yeah id fuckin serve him back. sounds like you take too much shit user. getting fired is a small price to pay for standing your ground when you know you're right

At least he knows you exist now..try to improve and thank him for teaching you about user feedback

>I should have asked them if they knew how to scroll through powerpoint before I left
Do their electricians ask people if they know how to use light switches after they install them?

Yeah I'm gonna do that, I'm not too salty about it.

My coworker later told me that he only talks like that to interns to try to teach them a lesson, and that if I was a regular employee he wouldn't have even bothered to come into the IT office.

I think the best area of IT is in a school board dealing with classroom or network issues. Not the admin/office support side though.

IT is generally a soul sucking job, but at least you will feel needed and respected in a school board. Working IT in a private company is honestly one of the worst things you can do. You will never be respected. You will have to deal with abusive people forever.

This is true for all "low level" tech jobs. I worked at a big mobile company doing a lot of hardware testing. I was the only "tech" among a team of engineers. Honestly, some of them can be pretty nasty to you if you ever make even the smallest mistake. I have developed a dislike of engineers as I find too many of them have a kind of god complex and are snobbish / condescending to their lower counterparts.

just build laptops and desktops for people all day and break fix. Google anything I don't know how to do. ez.

Windows is botnet.

I know Win 10 is, but does Win 7 phone home everything you do?