Update Fedora

>update Fedora
>have to restart to update
>can't use my computer while it's updating
Why the fuck is Fedora like this? Why did I install Linux if I have to go through the same update bullshit that I have to on Windows?

Attached: Windows_updates.jpg (359x335, 8K)

Linux 5.2 will not have this problem

Sounds like your update manager is shit. Just use DNF and automate it with dnf-automatic.

Attached: itjustwerks.png (1110x770, 261K)

>update Fedora
>have to restart to update
>can't use my computer while it's updating
you have no right complain no one forced you to update in the first place.
on linux (You) choose to update.
also you only have to reboot for kernel updates can't think of anything else that would require a full reboot.

that's gnome software. use dnf

I ran Fedora for all of a week. Complete shit show
Changed to GuixSD, have never gone back but massive caveat I only program in OCaml

>can't think of anything else that would require a full reboot.
C library.

Because on Linux you can shut down without updating. Whenever some npc says I understand why you don't use a Mac, but why not just Windows? And I say well when I go to turn my fucking laptop off and my three choices are sleep, update and restart, and update and shut down it fucking makes me want to stab pencils in my eyes. And then they always say oh well I don't really see what the big deal is. Retards.

why would anyone want to use a distro that's in beta as their main OS? is it stable enough? I'm just wondering

>using fedora
Try using anything that is debian based or debian itself, fedora is a meme and so is openSUSE

debian based is alright
but fedora is based

Attached: that-feel-when-using-fedora.png (442x293, 66K)

>can't think of anything else that would require a full reboot.
xorg server

install dnfdragora

I don't know if it's the case nowadays. I've used fedora recently but for a very short time span
it used to ask for a full reboot and during boot it'd show a "updating system X%" message on the top left, then continue reboot again

2bf you can't use your computer while it's updating on any other distro as well just because the hdd is heavy use but it just takes a minute or two

wrong

why?
what's special in that

That's PackageKit offline updatem and it's optional.

From Linux 5.2 you'll be able to upgrade any program or part of the software without every rebooting the OS

imagine not having kernel 5.00

Attached: replace.png (999x89, 21K)

I don't have to imagine

Attached: Screenshot_20190308_124928.png (854x39, 8K)

4.15.0-20-generic
:(

But that's just not true

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1523967927104.jpg (1312x2000, 235K)

but you can do that anyway. i remember Linux 3.16 as being the earliest i learned to do it on.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Why is the Fedora KDE spin so fucking bloated?

Even the kernel can technically be swapped out without a reboot

>restarting X = restarting system

>Install Fedora 29
>Boot into gnome once
>Reboot
>Black screen instead of login prompt
Had to install debian to get by, later learned that the kernel is bugged, don't update to 4.20.13-200

Pkill X && xinit wmaker
Wow so hard.

You shouldn't even need to do that. You can upgrade Debian a full version (e.g. stable -> testing) while using the old gui. It's been years since this has caused any issues, and even back when it did the issues were minor like missing icons.

Based Fedora

Attached: 899_900.png (900x506, 11K)

Were you using nvidia?

I'm sure it's nice to have an easy gui option to apply updates before shutting down for when you want to walk away from the computer; they just need to make it clear that it's not the only way to update.

openSUSE os great though

>you can't use your computer while it's updating on any other distro as well
is this bait

fedora is not beta testting RHEL, it upstreams to RHEL. fedora is a stable workstation distro on it's own.

install arch

is this a retard

>update an obsolete Linux distro such as Debian
>system is in an inconsistent state until a reboot
>silent date loss due to random programs not working correctly in the inconsistent state

That's literally never happened to me. You can keep shitposting on Jow Forums and coding in emacs while updating Debian, even updating to a different release.

Also normal programs don't depend on a specific kernel version, so the system is only in an inconsistent state when the packages are being installed. No reboot needed.
And the process of extracting the packages is faster than dependency checking and downloading, so the system is only briefly in a slightly inconsistent state.

Even if the system were unusable during the update process, the actual process is way faster than Microsoft's over-engineered servicing stack (and poor IO performance).