Hi Jow Forums, help me make a decision

Hi Jow Forums, help me make a decision.

I got an offer from Amazon for a Software Engineer role. I'd have to relocate across the country to Seattle (HQ) and leave friends/family/gf. What do I do? Anyone here work at Amazon?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 8.10.36 PM.png (890x892, 1.12M)

This is highly subjective. You need to sit down and think about it yourself and come to your own conclusion.
How important is your family to you. How far from home is it. How often could you visit. Is this the career you want to take.
etc.
Sit and consider what you value and every possibility that could change, but more importantly how you feel abut that change. Is it important to you, can you accept it, etc.

Someone post the McAmazon Mcwageslave image though.

I'm definitely having a hard time accepting it. I know that it's great for my career if I take it (relative to staying at my current company), but I feel like I'd be so lonely and stressed.

Don't go.

It will suck your soul. Do it.

Why not?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 8.28.16 PM.png (1538x1002, 1.31M)

Figure out if you can fall back. As in, a scenario where you accept the position, don't like it, what are your options. In theory just working there temporarily is beneficial to your CV.

If you have the ability/comfort speak to your current employer about it, see if they would be willing to accept you back in a year or so.

To be clear I am not saying you should sacrifice happiness, just that you don't know yet if this will be the case. Although it is likely.

I definitely have enough saved up right now from my current job + marketable skills that if I quit Amazon I don't doubt I could come back and get a job. Not sure I could get a job at my current place though.

It definitely does feel like sacrificing happiness for a better resume. That's what makes this so hard.

Also someone please post the McAmazon Mcwageslave image so I can see what my life will look like.

You have to consider in terms of years.
If you stay where you are, how do you think your situation is going to be? Are you content with that? It's okay to not want to progress farther as it really is arbitrary after a certain point. I have more money than I'll ever spend, I'm not interested in climbing a ladder. Not everyone is in that situation though. Maybe they want to build a family, own 10 cars, etc.

As well consider what your life will look like 5-10 years from now if you do accept this. Regardless of if you stay there or not.
It's possible that it may be difficult short term and easier latter in life. Maybe it's hell forever. Maybe you end up back where you started.
Consider all possibilities and if you can accept them all.

I want the image that has the VR headset, headphones, and the mouth gag.

Attached: file.png (1154x1117, 472K)

found a varient

Attached: file.png (800x821, 777K)

I definitely don't want to be at my current job for a long time. It's cushy and pays well but I don't feel like it's great for long term growth.

Amazon I'm sure would be better but it is quite intimidating, especially given the NYT article and similar anecdotes. I'm sure job hunting would be easier down the line if I had Amazon on my resume though.

Why can't you bring your gf

It seems like you have all the points of consideration, you just have to actually consider them with some time.

> I'm sure job hunting would be easier down the line if I had Amazon on my resume though.
Metaphorical image related.
But imagine he's on McFire before landing or something.

Attached: pole vault freeze frame.gif (518x288, 17K)

She's finishing up college. I'm 1 year older ahead so I already graduated. Once she graduates, she's not opposed but it's not a guarantee. I have to approach this decision as though she's not coming since it's not certain.

There's much better jobs in Seattle than Amazon, look at Algorithmia they do remote, in fact Seattle is filled with remote companies while Jewmazon wants you to show up to the office and punch your time card

It's not like you won't see your family or gf ever again. Try it. Maybe your gf can move on with you?

For sure, there’s Microsoft Google Uber Facebook Airbnb Lyft Square and plenty more which are all better. I just couldn’t get an offer from those better companies

Look at it this way, man. If you take the job and hate it, miss the folks back home, or can't adjust to the new environment, you can always go home. But how many chances will you get to be a Software Engineer for Amazon? It's a great opportunity that you might not get again. If you're not married and have no kids, I say go for it.

That's kind of my gut feeling. I'm scared about the opportunity and worried about being lonely, but this is an opportunity that I didn't even expect to get. Might be worth it to try.

You'll make a lot of money and have it pretty easy as a Software Engineer at Amazon. I know several of them. All the horror stories are from the business side of the company. They treat the engineers as gods. And when I say a lot of money, I mean A LOT of money.

Nice larp. Amazon doesn't have Software Engineers.

I mean they're called Software Development Engineer, my offer is for SDE1.

You only found that out after being called out on your larp.

My dude, software development engineer = software engineer at every other company. The fact that it has "development" in the middle doesn't mean it's not a software engineer role lmao

Hmm, fair. Yeah I definitely surprised by my offer when I got it. RSU vesting schedule is backloaded which sucks but the salary and bonuses are really nice. I wouldn't say money is a huge factor for me but it definitely would be nice to have that if I took the offer.

You should do it so you can find out for yourself why you shouldn't have done it.

Lol, I don't like the sound of that...