This video was sponsored by Honey...

>This video was sponsored by Honey. Honey is a free browser extension that automatically finds and applies the best discount codes on your purchases.

Has anybody ever researched how honey actually works? Because out of all youtuber-promoted garbage that I don't trust, I don't-trust honey the most of all.

I mean, it's clear that this thing can't be what it seems. It tries to present itself as this free browser ext

Attached: honey-facebook-share.png (1200x630, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
reddit.com/r/Frugal/comments/4phdxn/for_users_of_the_honey_coupon_chrome_extension/
help.joinhoney.com/article/30-how-does-honey-make-money
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm sure it tracks where you go and what you do.

shit, I pressed "post" by accident too early.

It tries to present itself as this free browser extension that just helps you find discounts, but not only does it make money for its creators, it makes so much money that it's worth advertising on youtube.

So, its obvious that what it really does is, collect data about its users and sell it to marketers. But how extrensive is its data collection, and who's buying it is what I'm curious about.

Because I suspect that a)It sells data to the very stores that give you discounts and b)It sells them mostly data about competition.
Worse so, I'm afraid that it might be used for some monopoly-building, competition-damaging tactics. Like, granting you higher discounts on Amazon, but only if you tried to buy the product using a competitor's storefront first. Or conversely, removing discounts from competitors when amazon demands it, etc.

Literally took me 2 mins to find this info

Attached: Screenshot_20190308-075258_Chrome.jpg (1440x2560, 538K)

It tracks where you go and what you buy and sells that information and associates all your purchase and browsing history with your online marketing profile.

right, because we now trust what apps say about not collecting or selling data, because as we all know, they are very trustworthy when it comes to that

You can wipe your ass with their privacy policy

>source: my ass

>we never sell data
right, but they collect it, and then in 2020 they are gonna have a change in privacy policy that is automatically accepted by continuing to use the app, where they agree to sell your data to third parties

Source: any free product on the internet related to merchandise.

>free
you mean non-free

>We _never_ sell data or give your information to 3rd parties
>We_never_ sell the most profitable aspect of this app
top fucking lmao if you believe this horse shit

this.

>Information as a result of your use of our product. We collect automatically generated information such as log data, cookies, device information, data about the success or failure of codes applied to your cart, and some other types of information required to provide different features of the Honey service. When possible, we provide an option to opt out of certain types of data collection in the user settings configuration. In some cases, this data is required to provide certain features which will be disabled when you opt out of this data collection. Other information is collected through our use of Google Analytics. To opt out of tracking with Google Analytics, visit: tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

the beauty of it is that it wouldn't necessarily have to sell your data to still manipulate its users
see From what I know, honey doesn't actually give you all the info about where it got the discounts from - it just applies them.
So it could easily be gamed that if you try to buy a keyboard from ma-and-pa-keyboard-store.com , then check for the same keyboard at monolithic-electronics.com (who is a sponsor of Honey) it would detect your browsing history and give you a discount just a few pennies higher, in order to have a better offer than the competition.

>oh, but then they would be selling at a loss
Many giant companies have been known for periodically selling products at a loss specifically damage the competition and build monopoly.

reddit.com/r/Frugal/comments/4phdxn/for_users_of_the_honey_coupon_chrome_extension/

inb4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>reddit

Did they done goofed or Honeypot was taken?

just use it in a browser that you only use to purchase things

What if you use in a VM on a browser never used before, it would get your shopping account data i suppose, but everybody already has that so does it really matter?
You would save money

Just use it in incognito mode

> I'm afraid that it might be used for some monopoly-building, competition-damaging tactics.
No shit? In this case, the potential is to steer the users to shops that pay honey for the privilege of getting those users.

The coupon trick is the next thing to try when you know you can't rival amazon's marketplace or aliexpress now.

help.joinhoney.com/article/30-how-does-honey-make-money

it makes money by using their own affiliate coupon codes. ever notice how each youtuber has a coupon code for their affiliate products? honey does that but with their own coupons.