I heard I can connect 2 ethernet ports from a NAS to a PC for double the speed. How would it work...

I heard I can connect 2 ethernet ports from a NAS to a PC for double the speed. How would it work? Just plug them both into the dual NIC card and they just werk?

Attached: 1533235247362.png (1008x1008, 573K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxhorizon.ro/bonding.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Channel bonding or other techniques. Generally requires configuration.

Also called link aggregation and stuff btw.

tfw no connectX-6 card for my desktop

Attached: cat.jpg (2080x4160, 2M)

>link aggregation
is it easy to set up?

depends on your IQ and your ability to google

Looks easy enough, but theres Adaptive Load Balancing and Active/Standby, how do I get these both, the first is for faster speeds while the second is only for redundancy

nvm, would need to install windows server for link aggrgation to work, or linux. Only using windows 7.

Buy a 10gbit card.

The second is included in the first, it would be stupid trying to send data over a dead link.

Your NAS seems to run Linux, so this may clear things up:
linuxhorizon.ro/bonding.html

Depends on the NAS. If you're running windows server or samba, you can do SMB multichannel, plug the nics, and enjoy double the bandwidth.

it’s called Dynamic link aggregation (802.3ad, LACP) I use intel I350T2 card in PC for this.
this won’t give you double speed but rather more channels.
only 10G ethernet can give more speed

>802.3ad
This describes an wireless protocol you nimrod

Attached: IMG_2391.jpg (367x388, 16K)

You can do link aggregation, but chances are it will be more trouble than the (slight) increase in performance will be worth. It won't be anything near double.

> How would it work?
Windows Server has some GUI for that, basically there are two modes, switch-dependent and switch-independent, for the first one you need a special switch, for the second one you need a bit more CPU power. Config for Linux is going like this:
auto bond0
allow-hotplug bond0
iface bond0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
bond_mode balance-rr
bond_miimon 100
bond_downdelay 200
bond_updelay 200
slaves eth0 eth1

The key line here is bond mode, only round robin allows you to double the bandwidth. I get 1.7Gbps to another server without jumbo frames and 1.8 Gbps with jumbo frames, but they're tricky and can lead to zero speeds, so it's better to just use 1500 MTU for stability.
Keywords you should use are "link bonding" or "link teaming".

and what I heard is that link aggregation doesn't work anywhere near as well as one would hope and is generally a waste of time.

> and what I heard
Well, the problem is, you didn't use it.

>buy a docsis3.1 modem
>Buy a gigabit router
>Use good cables
>Use internal settings to link channels for up/downstream
BOOM. Now you have increased traffic flow up to your internet spec(assuming you haven't maxed out your CAT cables).

Say you have 100mbps. Using two Ethernet separately isn't going to give you 200mbps, it's just going to split the load and potentially save time on certain packets depending on what applications you're running. Theoretically it can double your bandwidth but I highly doubt anybody for home use is maxing out Cat5e let alone cat6.

There's nothing you can't do in your modem/router configuration that would justify getting a separate dual Ethernet nic unless you're hosting a high traffic server. At which point you've introduced another failure/conflict point and you'd be running a straight coaxial or fiber nic to your system.

Could you just buy any cheap Intel NIC? Or are there specifications that should be looked at more?

you also need to have manageable switch