Is this a good VPS or are there better alternatives

Is this a good VPS or are there better alternatives

Attached: Vultr-128-usd.jpg (1280x720, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lowendbox.com/
lowendspirit.com/locations.html
cockbox.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes

wtf just get some shitty yearly budget vps dude
fuck off

depends on what you need
if you need a VPS in the traditional sense, just one or a few virtual servers you run for months or years then go with another provider that is cheaper and bills monthly or anually. the value of cloud services like vultr and aws is the ability to use the API and rapidly provision servers that can be billed by the hour or less

DigitalOcean is pretty good considering you only get charged for when you're using it

Why would you use a VPS instead of a real server?

BuyVM is good

I use linode

Costs the fraction of buying a server+ paying colocation idk.

>why would you buy a small server that fits your needs instead of buying a root server for likely 10 times the price but now you can set up the shit you needed to set up 50 times!

lowendbox.com/

lowendspirit.com/locations.html

Vultr seems to be priced like classic VPS. Is it really an AWS-like service?

I found my workloads to be complex enough warrant an upgrade to 64GB of RAM from 32. What kind of wimpy stuff do you run?

What are your workloads?

Various projects run by me and a few friends. Previously I had a Gentoo binary package host, soon I'll run a custom Fedora repo. Multiple cloud storage related things. A friend does something data science related that involves a fuckhuge database and doing intensive calculations on those boatloads of data. I have a personal media server instance on it so I can keep my music and movie collection organized. I also run a lot of VMs for sandboxing some of the projects as required. Additionally we have about 3 VPNs for different purposes, including linking home servers to the main rented one. The same server also runs DNS for our domain as well as a virtual mail server.

wifi speed

Literally what?

I am not OP. I have a combination of servers and VPS running because running a simple voice server doesn't require a Xeon with 64GB of ECC RAM with 8TB of NVMe storage but does benefit from the higher availability of some cloud shit that can switch to another cluster the second something fucks up, and some workloads are important enough to warrant actual dedicated servers so they get that.

>better alternatives
go to lowendbox.com
they always have all sorts of deals available

voltr, digital ocean, AWS, etc are all overpriced.

>lowendbox.com/
this nigga gets it

>I also run a lot of VMs for sandboxing some of the projects as required.
And there's your answer. Other people do the same thing you do, expect they pay for the VMs directly, for money and flexiblity's sake, and also not to deal with hardware faults themselves.

I moved to Vultr from Digitalocean like 3 years ago and i am happy with them.

>they always have all sorts of deals available
Vultr and DO less so than AWS.

Meant to quote the "all overpriced" bit.

So for a quick project, a 5/10 dollar vps is amazing on DigitalOcean. You pay for when you use it. So you could select a $50/month droplet which has bizarre speed, use it for a day and only pay

Anybody here using DO's managed Postgres?

> are there better alternatives
1) Checked.
2) AWS is good, t3.micro is just about $20/yr if you pay upfront for 3 years of reserved instances. It serves the main page of my Wordpress site in half a second. It's basically a KVM, but no console, SSH only, and extensive web interface for everything else, which is a bit irritating.

Yeah, so I did and purchased a KVM instance off TechVPS for $18/yr. In a month, they got a routing problem which cuts off half the world and me from the server, didn't respond to my ticket (except "fixed", lol, troll much?) and then closed it due to inactivity.
Another half of LEB are OpenVZ offers which uses the old 2.6.3x kernel and will be dropped this year. They're all need to migrate to LXC but it will never happen, I suppose, so KVM is the only answer right now if you want a supported OS.

>KVM is the only answer right now if you want a supported OS.
They have KVM hosting cheaper than AWS, digital ocean, etc.
realistically, you'd put on your big girl panties and colocate your own hardware if you need anything of size

Yes, buuuut only if you will max it out. Otherwise you'll be paying the same $20/yr for a better hardware which you don't use and have worse support and connectivity options, including the lack of IPv6, for example.

The speed of the wifi is quicker

Hetzner

cockbox.org/

Are you American? I have better option for EU.