How long can I go without updating my browser...

How long can I go without updating my browser? How long until things like YouTube will stop working and prompt me with "Update your browser" popup

Attached: ff.png (1200x1200, 254K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/muslayev/icecat-win64
palemoon.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

as long as it supports HTML5, you're fine.
any website that requires anything else from the browser is not safe to visit anyway.

Can you give me some examples? I genuinely don't know much about computers/coding but I really hate updating so I wanna lock it down until my hardware gets obsoleted, thats why I wanna know how long I can get away with updating shit.

If you only want to run static web pages made in the 90s, sure.
All websites, including Youtube and Jow Forums, rely on Javascript and CSS

look up firefox esr version that's up to your standarts and don't update it. pre-quantumm versions supported it, i think. i mean i can browse the web on my xp box with ff 52 esr.

Im on firefox quantum 62, can you give me a rough estimate how long tho? like maybe 5 years before sites start breaking?

don't know. i'd just change the user agent if some site told me to upgrade.

Does that method have any security implications?

If you're planning on using a non-updated web browser then you clearly don't care about security enough to worry about the implications of changing your user agent.

I see your point, thanks user

until you get ransomware'd by a skid for using outdated shit

Basically every browser update includes security updates since guess what, browsers are fucking massive pieces of software and parsing and executing random data/code from the internet introduces a lot of possible vulnerabilities.
I doubt you'd see any significant breakage for years, depending of course on what websites/services you use and if everyone suddenly starts using webp or some other new technology you don't have support for next week.

Fucktard

And if I can ask, what are your personal practices, do you keep your browsers up to date?

Of course I do, moron, and so does every other mentally healthy person. Seek help

BUT user, what's stopping me from updating is all the weird ass shit that the mozilla team is pulling off every update, honestly firefox was so good before quantum, Im just scared of updating, like the newer builds have built in ad blocking and Im already used to ublock, its just feels like if I update ill lose everything

just use opera solely for youtube
chromium never asks to update
google is that retarded

This is the dumbest shit I have ever read on Jow Forums

newfag

Im still using firefox 56 because of tab groups

Use icecat, unless you are a microtard in which case there's no difference either way

I've tried but I dont know how to build from source to install it on my distro, its also not available in synaptic

You.. don't know how to compile a program..?

Attached: 1527415154320.jpg (600x418, 27K)

github.com/muslayev/icecat-win64

GNU provides compiled icecat for GNU/Linux. Just untar to your home and run it, you fucking brainlet.

kek, i seriously hope winjeets don't just install random precompiled binaries from some russian guy online
but who am i kidding, of course they do

Uhh... not really, Im kinda new to linux. I had a hard time getting stuff like synaptic to work but I really like it over windows because its not got any faggy auto updates

Yes. I appreciate people improving software I use at no charge to me. I update it as often as I can, despite the time it may take due to having to recompile it (Gentoo).
Lose what?

Linux is a kernel, the OS you are using is a distro of GNU

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

It's gonna sound very vague but, losing that old no BS feel that is slowy on it's way out for a more 'fun' childlike aesthetic (even discord is getting worse with the new games integration). I just want firefox to not get ruined.

Thanks you're right, I meant to say Ubuntu

I'd rather have shit work and my data not stolen than worry about the way my browser might look in 2 years.

I love your point of view its pragmatic and not sentimental at all. I wish I was like you.

here: palemoon.org/
and be free

Uses too much CPU on idle, it's funky as heck. Love the UI tho, only upside.

Years and its pretty damn common to do so hell, there's anons that are still browsing on FF2.0/3.0 Only really really really REALLY shitty sites will force you to be on a fully updated browser. Just don't let "muh virus" shill spread fud about zero day's and vulnerabilities. These are either paid shills or retards that think having more than 1 anti-virus is a good thing.