Is anyone here using really old technology as their daily device...

Is anyone here using really old technology as their daily device? By old I mean something so old and "retro" that most people would consider it a toaster.

I wonder how many people are using toasters with lightweight Linux distros to browse Jow Forums. Probably much more people than we can imagine.

Attached: 1552079881296.jpg (953x1224, 390K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tenfourfox.blogspot.com/
talospace.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SymbOS#Motivation_and_rationale
symbos.de
github.com/nfinit/ansibench
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't have a mental disorder and am employed so no, I don't retain aged items which serve no point.

Attached: 1532145802344.png (400x1650, 367K)

Technically speaking, this is the computer I use the most, even though it's acting as a home server.
It's a Sun Ultra enterprise 250 from 1998, it has two 450MHz UltraSPARC IIs (50MHz faster than the fastest officially supported CPUs), 1.5GiB of RAM (Was 2GiB until five days ago, when one of the DIMMs sadly went bad), a Supermicro SAT2-MV8 SATA II controller and some modern drives for storage.
I also used a dual 1.33GHz PowerMac G4 MDD as a main machine and a 1.42GHz iBook G4 as a laptop up until last year, when their RAM ceilings became just too low for my needs.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-09_00-23-35.png (641x285, 10K)

Nice.

The oldest hw I run is a q6600 and a wrt54gl.

My iPhone X.

not exactly daily, but i've got a Toshiba satellite T2130CS that i use pretty often. 75Mhz 486, 28MB ram, terrible STN display, and a 32GB compact flash card via an IDE adaptor. plenty of fun!

unironically see

cringe
just kys loser

I don't understand this. Why are you upset that he uses an old computer? Why are you even here?

I'm just curious, why do you use such old tech? Is it for the nostalgia factor, or have no money? Do you live in a third-world country. Not being aggressive here, just curious

Attached: 4chan_79.jpg (1200x799, 105K)

>I'm just curious, why do you use such old tech? Is it for the nostalgia factor, or have no money?
I don't really have nostalgia for these systems, as I've never used them until I got this one, I don't really have that much money either, but that's not one of the deciding factors either. I could've gotten some random HP SFF computer for the same price I bought this for.
>Do you live in a third-world country.
Kind of.
But the reason I use these old machines is:
They're fun. Plain and simple. They're designed to be used by people who know what the fuck they're doing, and it shows. Another advantage of SPARC machines is, they have 0 (zero) vulnerabilities or hardware backdoors. Sun's OpenBoot implementation has been open sourced, and the SPARCv9 ISA is fully open. You can get the full spec from SPARC International for free. I don't know. With these machines I feel like I'm the one controlling the computer, and not the other way around.
We aren't even talking about Macs here.

Here's something new for your anti-apple folder

Attached: g - not for mac discussion.png (1058x614, 146K)

>TI

My nigga.

Attached: 652f5a62a45f611c5aa0507e2767fecd0a3e9b3d92e5344b1c94f95bce047fdf.jpg (255x255, 12K)

is there an irc where people with old pcs can hang out?

I don't know if it counts, but my main desktop computer is over 11 years old now. I build it at the end of 2007 and I've been using it ever since then. I've never needed to upgrade since it does what I need. Although I'm noticing that the RAM is starting to run low these days.

two years ago I was thinking of building a new computer with ryzen, but I still can't be bothered. i'll probably wait a few more years

Attached: 2019-03-09-013231_799x530_scrot.png (799x530, 86K)

i'd also like to know if this is a thing

Try some telnet BBSs.
I frequent Guardian Of Forever (guardian.synchro.net) and they have a decent retrocomputing section going on. Not really that active, though.

/thread

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1551661692680.gif (500x491, 376K)

That doesn't really make any sense, there's alot of things you can learn from these old computer and in many ways they can inspire you to take old ideas and migrate them into newer platforms.

haven't in a while
used a 2001 Dell Latitude laptop until like 2007-2008, and used a 2001 G3 iBook (amazed the thing even worked, although it may have been serviced since it also had more RAM on the board than stock) from 07 into 2009, especially when the Latitude finally kicked the bucket
both of those were definitely toasters, especially the iBook with its paltry 192MB of RAM (128 soldered to the motherboard, maxed out at 640MB) and 10GB HDD (would have replaced it, but it's literally the most obnoxious thing -- you have to completely strip the machine to access the drive bay, and it's pretty weird since most other things like the keyboard and RAM and wifi adapter were easy to access)
both machines were given to me by family, I didn't buy 'em

the slowest thing I use regularly is a Pi 2, and the oldest machine I still have is the laptop I've got from 10 years ago (which is a C2D machine with Win7 and Xubuntu on it)
don't really use it that much, but if I need to burn CDs or run a job while I've got my laptop and it's at home, it's there
don't really think of it as much of a toaster, it's not particularly slow

bumping a thread with potential

My C3000 does pretty much all of my local web, database and development work since it's on 24/7 anyway. I used to post here and read email a lot from it too, but Let's Encrypt totally shit all over the web in the last year and dealing with the pointless SSL everywhere gets kind of tiresome after a while.

Attached: autism-4g.png (612x337, 9K)

>being this assblasted over people taking care of their shit

I had a very similar experience. I had a E6600 since 2008, and by the end of 2017 I upgraded to ryzen. No regrets.

Not my daily driver but I've got a Y2K Dell still set up at a second desk in my office. Kind of fun to be able to switch over to an older machine and OS running on bare metal when I want to play a game or fiddle with some software that prefers a 9X environment.

Dell latitude d420

What happened to you uptime, based Visualizeanon?
Also, do you still have the G3 in your setup?
>Let's Encrypt totally shit all over the web in the last year and dealing with the pointless SSL everywhere gets kind of tiresome after a while.
Tell me about it, I can't even post from Classilla now. That's three machines I can't use to post here anymore, four if you count my Beige G3 when booted into OS 9

not the one who asked about it, but i can respect that.

Attached: imac.jpg (4592x3056, 3.72M)

I've recently been throwing some more upgrades into it and moving it around, probably going to shut it down again today to try and get the RAM up to 6 GB and maybe finally max it out to 8 next week. I haven't been doing much with the G3 lately and replaced it on my desk with a Vectra VL800, but I'm thinking of bringing it back up to start working on totally maxing it out.
>Tell me about it, I can't even post from Classilla now.
That's retarded, I can still get by on Mozilla for posting but something's up with Wikipedia that makes it run slower than hell and everybody using Let's Encrypt now makes a lot of previously workable sites unusable, not to mention all of the fucking GDPR and "please sign in with facebook" banners that apparently are designed to occupy 80% of the screen without JavaScript on now for some reason.

I'm not one to mindlessly shit on the modern web because there are still things I like about it, but a lot of these trends just feel inexcusable.

While not daily drivers I use a p3 with NVIDIA tnt2 pro for 90s and DOS games and a ppc g5 with 9600xt(need to upgrade it to a 9800xt someday) for 2000s and Mac classic games.

Attached: D7C8F2C7-D6F3-439D-BB47-B6FE10E64F71.jpg (2899x3472, 2.12M)

>MUH MANCHILD BOOMER GAYMES
Fuck off back to Jow Forumseddit mactoddler.

Absolutely S E E T H I N G

Attached: A0D644FB-06B3-4D7C-A2C3-D6FF926FA9C2.jpg (3024x3268, 2.65M)

>MUH APEL
ABSOLUTELY S O Y

Attached: 1541115405710.jpg (1280x720, 140K)

So mad

Attached: image.jpg (945x835, 254K)

so s o y

Attached: 1522081680921.jpg (688x658, 89K)

Been using pic-related as my main phone for little over 2 months now feels great not to be bogged down by "modern" bloat like the apple store

only issue is finding a new replacement for the battery,the one that came with it only holds a charge for about a day & a half

Attached: Nokia N95 2007.jpg (800x600, 46K)

when are you retarded false flagging apple shills going to run out of IP addresses

Hey, I know that computer!
>I've recently been throwing some more upgrades
Damn, 8GiB of ram in that machine must be pretty nice. Does it gain any performance by adding more modules?
>I haven't been doing much with the G3 lately and replaced it on my desk with a Vectra VL800, but I'm thinking of bringing it back up to start working on totally maxing it out.
Sacrilege! Replacing a RISC machine with an x86 one! What would all the computer nerds from back in the day say about that?!
Seriously though, do you plan to max the G3 out as in max factory config or are you going to throw one of those 1.1GHz ppc750fx upgrades in it?
>I can still get by on Mozilla for posting
Weird, I tried on Mozilla and I couldn't either. Maybe it's my connection, it's been dropping out randomly for about two weeks now. I'll try and post on this thread now.
>a lot of these trends just feel inexcusable.
Indeed. But let's face it: The age when people using computers actually knew how to use a computer ended years ago. Now even the people programming computers don't know how to use a computer, and this is where this problem stems from.

Attached: DSC04044.jpg (4592x3056, 3.71M)

see

Thanks for the (You) fren.
By the way, if you can read this, it means posting from Classilla actually works and it was just my Internet connection fucking up.

see

TenFourFox reporting in

Attached: Snapshot 2019-03-09 14-24-26.jpg (1920x986, 308K)

Back to your shitting street Rakesh.

Attached: 1521351609342.jpg (622x888, 185K)

core 2's are good processors, no need to upgrade ever again they are the final form of computing

Reminder that
is actually a paid Apple shill trying to make non-Apple users look bad. This has been proven and he's been banned multiple times for this already.

>spanish
Are you from Spain or Latin America?

Your "lightweight" Linux distro won't have the speed ot the functionality of the original MacOS. Andy Hertzfield was an exceptional programmer.
Jobs specified 128K for the original Mac because he didn't realise how good Hertzfield was; he thought any good programmer could do the same.

>Latin America?
Given that "Latin America" includes the US these days, it's moot.

How is the performance? Is your Sun faster than a RasPi? Are there network or disk speed problems?

2008 Phenom II here. I'm skipping DDR4.

Got a Sun machine, but I haven't had time to set it up, so no neofetch.
The RasPi is generally slower than everything you can think of because the bandwidth is shit.

of course a sparc is faster than a (first gen) raspberry pi

I do have an IBM model M
Many of my colleagues don't understand how fucking gold that keyboard is

>but a lot of these trends just feel inexcusable
Hopefully you don't the pervasive use of HTTPS.

think of how much fun the mega65 guys are having designing neo-retro hardware

One of the best Symbian phones. Have you tried programming in Python on it? You can.

Spain.
The Spanish OS 9 install is proving to be quite a pain. Finding software compatible with it is nigh impossible.
But I'm in a bit of a Catch 22 situation, because the machine won't boot from CD because the early iMac DVs had an optical drive firmware bug. However, the firmware update will only work on English Mac OS 9.
And I can't get the damn thing to boot into Target Disk Mode to clone an install into it. I've also tried shoving disks with working installs in it (Under the LBA limit) and they won't boot either.
>How is the performance?
It's quite a speedy machine, despite its appearance. The thing runs a Minecraft server like it's nothing, only recently have I run into issues with that particular application due to the 2GiB ram limit. That's getting solved with a PCI to PCIe adapter and an Optane module, though.
>Is your Sun faster than a RasPi?
Yes, and by quite a bit, too. I didn't even know this until I did some benchmarks to compare with the HP Visualize user. I should rerun them whenever I get the replacement DIMMs, since I was running dual 400MHz CPUs with half the e-cache at the time.
>Are there network or disk speed problems?
None that I have noticed.

Reminder that
is actually a paid Apple shill who shits in the street. This has been proven and he's been banned multiple times for this already.

Attached: 1523060180318.jpg (643x960, 255K)

How much of a pain is it to compile open source software on HP-UX? My one experience porting a C utility to it sucked. Much harder than Solaris. The port went unused, too. HP-UX is weird.

I have an old I5 2500k machine. My father told me that it was a legendary chip and it still performs well to this day.

based

protip: you can't

Attached: 7E27CFE8-A396-4978-9501-5853819FFA72.jpg (4032x3024, 2.42M)

*hinges crack*
*display capacitors go bad*
*2.5" SCSI drive makes you buy an SD2SCSI when it dies*
Nothin personnel... Macfag...

Passive matrix is so hilariously bad, but it's weirdly satisfying seeing those pixels switch in real time.

None of these are wrong but my restored 170 is still one of my favorite machines in my collection. They even shipped with fucking 68882s standard.

I once had a 145 and boy was that thing a nightmare. I fixed the display caps and it worked for a while, then the color inverted. Turns out one of the caps destroyed a trace. I fixed that and then the drive died.
I replaced it and the floppy drive died.
After opening and closing it so much, the ribbon cable that joins the two halves broke.
I replaced it and the corner of the screen cracked when opening it up one day.
In the end I just gave up and gave it to a local Apple Service Technician for him to put on display on a shelf in his store, where it's been sitting for a couple years now.
Funnily enough it's in perfect aesthetic condition, including intact hinges.

there's guys who got an MSX working online with accelerator cards and shit

it becomes more fun the older the computer is...

>there's guys who got an MSX working online with accelerator cards and shit
Link?

>install 10.4
>try to download tenfourfox
>it's impossible

dev's dead prolly

Classilla is dead, but Cameron Kaiser is alive and kicking, and so is TenFourFox.
tenfourfox.blogspot.com/
He's also one of the main figures backing OpenPOWER:
talospace.com/

I like them too, but don't use that shit at work.

You cannot download tenfourfox in 10.4. You'd need tenfourfox or similar, that's what I'm on about.
Try it yourself, it's funny actually.

But that's not Cameron's fault.
Just download it on another machine and throw it into your NAS or home server. 10.4 can connect to samba and NFS just fine.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SymbOS#Motivation_and_rationale

symbos.de

Attached: Symbos-cpc.png (640x400, 11K)

Test

Attached: Screenshot_20190306-154356_Trebuchet.png (1080x1920, 582K)

Nice, thank you user.

Attached: se30.jpg (2208x2442, 1.14M)

Of course it is. Nobody is forcing him to host his dmgs on sourceforge which requires https instead of http. It's not like he's got no website and there's millions and millions of downloads every day that would drive his hosting traffic expenses through the roof.
I'm not even hating or anything, I've been happy it existed at all. I don't care anymore, man. The world now is better than it was just 10 seconds ago. I've got no time for that old bullcrap anymore.

Attached: 72041-1920x1280.jpg (1920x1280, 915K)

Jumping from 2 to 4 was pretty nice for keeping Apache and Postgres from fucking me over, 4 to 8 probably won’t be as much of a boost though, but the kits are pretty inexpensive and I want to do it anyway.
>What would all the computer nerds from back in the day say about that?!
Yeah, yeah. But I’ve got a thing for S423 boxes, and I’ve seen even less of those than RISC machines. I might end up replacing it with a 9000/715 or a C180 though.

The G3’s staying a 400 with factory 8.5, but I usually try to max my systems out both by factory guidelines and also with the best non-factory parts that would have been available while it was still a flagship system, at this point I mostly need some more memory, maybe some extra matching peripherals, some 10K SCSI disks and ideally a 15” B&W studio display.
>But let's face it: The age when people using computers actually knew how to use a computer ended years ago.
Totally. It’s all understandable, but annoying nonetheless. I’m thinking of seeing if I can build a proxy server that can downgrade the encryption or something.
I’ve started trying to put together a package of benchmarks, thinking of making a thread for it. I’d like to see some Pi scores.
I’ve given up on some porting attempts more than once, it’s very satisfying when you figure something out, though. HP-UX is definitely the most challenging operating system I’ve used regularly, but it really makes me appreciate how trivial Linux/BSD and Solaris are in comparison.
He built a downloader application to address that, it’s worked pretty well for me.

>He built a downloader application to address that, it’s worked pretty well for me.
Huh? Then why isn't it linked anywhere on the frontpage of tenfourfox? And what kind of a solution is that anyways? ... baka

I think it’s there but just not very prominent, I remember using it on my G5 some time ago.

>But I’ve got a thing for S423 boxes
I looked up that Vectra, and I just so happen to have a VLi8 MT sitting around somewhere (P3 version, uses a proprietary board with a riser that somehow fits in the same case) AND the same OEM ASUS S423 board I took out of a desktop Vectra years ago. I remember seeing both the Pentium 4 and Windows 2000 stickers when I got the thing home and almost shitting myself from the excitement, because I knew that combination only appeared in S423 machines. I wish I had kept the rest of the computer, all I have now is the board, the CRIMMs and the Matrox G450.
Now the only RDRAM systems I use are a couple of Precision 220s, dual P!!!s with RDRAM. Even rarer than S423, and one heck of a lot more fun.
>I’ve started trying to put together a package of benchmarks, thinking of making a thread for it.
That'd be awesome. I'd run it on all my *NIX machines, that's for sure. I might even use it on future videos for my yt channel, if I ever get around to making them. And if I get your permission, that is.

dude what? yes it is

Attached: Snapshot 2019-03-09 18-55-24.jpg (1920x983, 308K)

OK

A shame retrozilla is stagnant. An actually functional win9x browser would be awesome.

forever stuck with opera 11

I missed out on the 1.6 GHz variant of one of those once, I didn't realize what it was and wasn't really focusing on HP yet. Later I ended up picking up the entry 1.3 GHz VL800DT which I ended up using as my primary desktop machine for most of 2014, it was a really great system.

As far as the benchmarks go, I'm throwing them all in this repository:
github.com/nfinit/ansibench

If you think they'd be useful for you, definitely feel free to use them. It's all publicly available stuff that I've mostly just tweaked for stricter ANSI compliance and making them easier to automate through a makefile. My current way of selecting compilers and optimizations is also a little braindead and will need to be overhauled eventually.
I always use the tweaked SeaMonkey from toastytech, though it's probably got SSL AIDS nowadays as well.

Attached: capture-2019-03-09-13-55-45.png (1280x1024, 34K)

Are you implying this man's air force is mentally disabled and unemployed, maggot!?

Attached: 1522088586233.png (1366x768, 498K)

>I missed out on the 1.6 GHz variant of one of those once
I forgot to mention I still have the CPU on the board. I think it's a 1.7, but I'll have to check. If you're in the EU and are willing to pay shipping, it's yours for free.
>github.com/nfinit/ansibench
Thank you so much user, I had been waiting so long for some benchmarks to use across all my machines. Can't wait to run them on the G4-upgraded Power Macintosh G3 beige ( )

that's so good looking

>non-rounded screen corners
always annoyed me a bit

Unfortunately, I'm quite far away from you, but I appreciate the offer. Hope you find them useful, I think they should compile pretty easily or without any issues in 10.4, I haven't really tried them on my G5 yet, but I figure if they work on HP-UX they'll work on practically anything at this point. I think the only one that really needs to be de-fucked is NBench, but it works fine with GCC.

I've always been curious to see how a G4-accelerated G3 might rank up against a "proper" G4 system on some of these, maybe I'll see if I can get my Quicksilver re-configured and do some testing for the repo wiki. You're also always welcome to submit scores too if you'd like and have the patience to watch paint dry running the same test through every optimization level.

I would unironically use a hybrid of a dumbphone and a smartphone.
All I need is a good screen, a browser, Telegram, WhatsApp, a calculator, alarm, clock, calendar, and a client to check my emails.
Fuck all the other useless shit. Give me battery life.

I'm still using an older pre_ryzen AMD CPU. I know, I'm practically a cave dweller.

Same, but I really don't mind battery life, I just think it would offer a lot more potential for building a polished, consistent and higher-quality system.

i think about using old hardware all the time. my favorite computer is my chrome box that’s ancient and runs my tv. other than that i have an htc one m8 that i can use as a pc with bt kb and mouse. shrug.