Is it worth learning Rust? What kind jobs do people have with this language?

Is it worth learning Rust? What kind jobs do people have with this language?

Attached: 1200px-Rust_programming_language_black_logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HgtRAbE1nBM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>PhD in rust
>still no job
>200k in debt not counting my transition cost

Attached: 1551076511486.png (1102x967, 501K)

>jobs
Lol

>Is it worth learning Rust?
Yes

>What kind jobs do people have with this language?
Telling other people you know Rust and they should learn it too

It's a systems language, so systems programming jobs

Is it worth it? If you're motivated by extrinsic rewards probably not.

If you want to learn valuable languages, learn Python, C++, Java, C, javascript, or Scala.

If you want to get better at programming, Rust is fine, but the more languages you know the better. Some languages are very good at particular domains, like perl for string processing or R for data analysis.

>transition cost
Isn't that shit covered by your health insurance now?

Attached: (((you))).png (300x162, 31K)

>It's a systems language, so systems programming jobs
The only caveat is that no one developing those systems is actually interested in Rust.

youtube.com/watch?v=HgtRAbE1nBM

PLEASE! PLEASE REWRITE OUR OS IN RUST PLEASE!

Attached: Ryan Gosmeme.jpg (970x545, 50K)

You know they're doomed if even a raging faggot like this guy is not interested in Rust.

>What kind jobs do people have with this language?
mostly the under-the-table kind

Attached: le pun spic.jpg (210x240, 17K)

All the crypto researchers at my company use rust.

Is there an actual job market for this language yet? I'd like to get out of bullshit full stack development and do something more low-level since I did some hobby projects with assembly and reverse engineering programs and found it interesting

There are jobs with C/C++. Why not just do that?

Worth learning? Yes. Companies are slowly adapting it but it's very new. It's a joy to use (once you get it) but if you're looking for an immediate job I'd save it for later and go with a more established language. As for what kind, Rust is a safety-oriented systems programming language, so secure things that need to run fast. It's a unique blend of imperative and functional.

That's not a "company," Siegfried. It's a brothel. And they're not doing security research.

Nobody uses C in San Francisco anymore it's all webapps and cloud garbage.

Attached: Nightmare on Feelstreet.jpg (720x738, 122K)

Most of it is remote work rewriting C++ microservices for cryptocurrency exchanges and 'blockchain engineer' type jobs which means some kind of service that manipulates a coin API. All you need to learn Rust is the book Programming Rust which is also a systems book. Now write some crates/libraries that interface with some meme coin daemon in a docker container and congrats you're a blockchain engineer.

I use C

No. No jobs.

How is the getting started tutorial thingy on the Rust website? Is it phat? Is there a doper way to learn it?

Basically any C/C++ job and hopefully more once Web Assembly takes over the cloud/devops spaces.

My company as of 2018 has been only using Rust for new projects, and it's worked out really well for us. According to our QA testers, the amount of threats from memory safety exploitations has gone significantly down with Rust, than when we wrote in C++. Also our feature release times have increased, partly due to development time productivity. The downside was that we've been training all of our developers over intensive 2 month periods, which is a company cost.

> San Jose, $169k, 4 years of experience

Salary aint shit if I don't also post my rent
>$3,000 for 1 bedroom in a gated community
>in unit washer/dryer
>allow pets
>balcony
>pool, gym, sauna, bball courts, tennis courts
most of my neighbors are Indian or Chinese, just like my company

only handjobs

There's nothing different about Rust except instead of standard libraries it's a free for all of user made crates (libraries) for everything that are sometimes maintained.
The other major difference is keeping track of state. You have to specifically tell it what you want to keep track of and for how long during the program and this is easier said than done if you're building large programs and trying to keep track of a bunch of state like memory addresses. You would split up bigger programs into parallel microservices that just do individual things if cursed with writing a large program in Rust.

>phd in rust is a nonsense
>if you are so educated and rust expert send your cv to mozilla or related
>get rid of the debt in a year

It's pretty clear that you didn't watch the video:
>I'm very bullish on rust. Rust represents something that we haven't seen in a long time: a modern language that represents an alternative throughout the stack of software abstraction.
>Rust allows hybrid approaches, allowing for productive kernel incrementalism rather than whole system re-writes.

>Companies are slowly adapting
nop

>San Jose, $169k
Literal poverty