>It's not just the walls that have ears. It's also the hard drives

>>It's not just the walls that have ears. It's also the hard drives.

>>Eggheads at the University of Michigan in the US, and Zhejiang University in China, have found that hard disk drives (HDDs) can be turned into listening devices, using malicious firmware and signal processing calculations.

>>For a study titled "Hard Drive of Hearing: Disks that Eavesdrop with a Synthesized Microphone," computer scientists Andrew Kwong, Wenyuan Xu, and Kevin Fu describe an acoustic side-channel that can be accessed by measuring how sound waves make hard disk parts vibrate.

>>"Our research demonstrates that the mechanical components in magnetic hard disk drives behave as microphones with sufficient precision to extract and parse human speech," their paper, obtained by The Register ahead of its formal publication, stated. "These unintentional microphones sense speech with high enough fidelity for the Shazam service to recognize a song recorded through the hard drive."
theregister.co.uk/2019/03/07/hard_drive_eavesdropping/

SPINNING RUST BOOMERS BTFO

Attached: hard-drive-platters-1738585.jpg (1300x957, 1M)

Well Good on them. Faggots. SSD it is.

I'm a boomer who jumped on SSD first day of release, no turning back to hdd since then. Get redpilled zoomer.

There's probably multiple ways to go about it. A modern HDD would have an accelerometer so it can park heads in case of serious vibrations. But it probably doesn't sample fast enough to record usable frequencies. The thing they're using must be the head actuator, which works on the exact same principle as an electromagnetic speaker, and any electromagnetic speaker can also be used as a microphone.

somebody will sell acoustic decouplers
put a sock on it

This is brand new information!
Oh wait, it isn't.
There's been projects to collect earthquake data with hard disks in the past.

my seedbox is way too loud for them to record anything.

>SPINNING RUST BOOMERS BTFO
you little shit

THE PROBLEM IS THE F I R M W A R E

But SSDs don't have read heads or platters to pick up the vibrations. STAY MAD BOOMER

>But it probably doesn't sample fast enough to record usable frequencies.
They thought that about smartphones, too, user, but they were proveded wrong.

THATS NOT THE ISSUE YOU MOTHER FUCKING FAGGOT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FUCK YOU

It's true.
I've collected plenty infromation of this homossexual

Using CRT monitors, which don't have microphones, as listening devices has been a thing in the US military since like the 1990s.

Maybe that’s how Facebook is targeting ads of real world conversations while swearing up and down they’re not using the mic on your phone.

Are the inherent audio properties of harddisks why FLACs/MP3s sound full and musical when played from an HDD, but flat and brittle when played from an SSD?

>KRRRRR KRRKRKRK *whirrrr* KRRRRRRRR KRKRKRKKR
Yeah okay great spy device

One, that's freaking brilliant.
Two, dammit!

>Yeah okay great spy device
waaait a second, maybe that's the reason our hard drives fail - they're being used as listening devices!

If they turned Jow Forums's harddrive into a listening device, what would they hear?

intermittent soft sobbing

Dragon dildo slapping sounds.

sometimes both at the same time

>They also note that their work may open future research possibilities, such as using a hard disk's read/write head as a crude sounds generator to issue spoken commands to nearby connected speakers like Alexa, Google Home, and Siri.
As opposed to using actual speakers. Lmao that's autistic.

Imagine how much money was wasted on such an useless and redundant research.

>As opposed to using actual speakers. Lmao that's autistic.
User's are becoming more aware of the botnet and are disabling speakers, so spies have to find other ways around this.

obviously the rotational velodensity is better for music

You realize those are backdoored too just by nature of being modern right

wouldn't a person notice their hdd spinning up weirdly?

You've never had your hard disk spin up when nothing was happening?

>an exploit which would be completely impractical in a real world scenario targeting practically deprecated technology

Well done guys. Nice one.

...not on linux

Won't it just hear the whining and clicking sounds of the hard drive and nothing else?
Or does this also work when the drive isn't spinning?

>To get Shazam to identify recordings captured through a hard drive, the source file had to be played at 90 dBA. Which is pretty loud. Like lawn mower or food blender loud.

It requires a ridiculously loud audio source to make this thing work.

typical of Jow Forums to be concerned over an impractical proof of concept heh

man, Im sure they will have fun recording me fapping

>man, Im sure they will have fun recording me fapping
"Oh my god Kimiko" *farts* "i'm cumming"

>installs a microphone on your ssd's computer.