A kernel developer is working on adding Blue Screen of Death functionality to the Linux kernel...

A kernel developer is working on adding Blue Screen of Death functionality to the Linux kernel. It would be implemented using DRM.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Kernel-Oops-Viewer-2019

What joys, what wonders! There is also a discussion of removing the virtual terminal functionality from the kernel and moving it to SystemD. Is there anything else that Lennart hasn't ruined yet? Why not just admit defeat and use Windows10?

Attached: BSOD-SMB-0DAY.png (1250x460, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQwNTk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why not just use Windows 7?

Windows is nonfree software, you would do best to avoid it because it's unethical and attacks your freedoms.

If I wanted to live in the past, I'd keep using kernel version 2.4.x and XFree86. Unfortunately, I still need some device which can run a web browser, and Netscape Navigator doesn't cut it.

There was a time when free software had useful and interesting features of its own, and wasn't just a poor rip-off of Windows. Thanks to Red Hat, those days are finally over, and now we just have buggy, ugly versions of Redmond functionality.

Why would I need this? Can't I just read the log?

>Ahmed Darwish is the developer now pursuing this "kernel oops viewer" with the intention of implementing the support as "minimal" DRM drivers for each hardware
Pajeets trying to kill Linux

Linux is a kernel.

Linux is going the way of the “oopsie woopsie” huh. Get out while you still can

Then don't use anything written by Red Hat. Purge yourself of the systemd beast now.

Not if the kernel panics before it can flush the log to disk.

But how would it make you FEEL? "Something happened" and a sad smiley is much more user friendly.

Attached: 1520761599594.png (2560x1600, 68K)

Unironically an improvement.

I'm not using SystemD now, thankfully, but it gets harder every day. I gave in to PulseAudio eventually, and it sort of works most of the time (it only crashes when I use Clementine and Firefox together - it's great as long as there aren't multiple sound sources).

I have never had that problem. Reminder that pulseaudio was intended to be a replacement for the older esd and aRts which were way worse.

Why don't they use a microkernel to handle the main kernel panic?

>Ahmed Darnish

>you will never find out what
Such a bad meme
Took me 5 min to figure out what was causing a blue screen after the 1809 update

> ...Linux is not a kernel unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Hurd plus Linux kernel

>ahmed darwish
>ahmed
Big yikes! Why are shitskin terrorists allowed to develop the kernel?

This would be great.

What the actual fuck?
Lol.

>device power failure
>it appears it have relation to intel speed step
>turn off in bios
>no more crushes or BSD
WTF

Fortunately, it doesn't break as often as either esd or aRts. (it was fun having them both running together) Unfortunately, it doesn't break often enough to make it easy to reproduce, so it will likely be broken for me forever.
More like a fully functioning SystemD plus Linux kernel.

And why is bsod-like functionality a bad thing?

It's being developed in the context of removing VT console support.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQwNTk
Without a console, it's impossible for a normal user to see a kernel panic/oops message. So - instead of keeping VTs, the idea is to add error console ("blue screen") support to the video driver. It's a solution for a problem we didn't have in the first place, explicitly modeled after the single most hated Windows feature.

>and moving it to SystemD
gib 24bit tty with proper unicode support

I promise to you bros, if I ever get rich, I will take over IBM and personally fire Poettering and make him take the stairs as he takes his shit out of the building

Defenestration would be more apposite.