Serious question here, how do I know if I'm too much of a brainlet for computer science...

Serious question here, how do I know if I'm too much of a brainlet for computer science? I'm retaking physics 1 this semester and barely passing it, I'm gonna have to drop calculus 2 because I'm failing it. I do well in the CS classes and never had an issue understanding what's going on though. Should I just switch to IT? I'm kinda getting sick of constantly having to grind and study only to still end up with shitty grades, but part of me wants to stick it out and try to do a double major in CS/math. Any advice?

Attached: pepe-the-frog-1272162_1920.jpg (1920x1371, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

catalog.njit.edu/undergraduate/computing-sciences/computer-science/bs/index.html
catalog.njit.edu/undergraduate/computing-sciences/computer-science/cs-math-bs/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Read Gravity's Rainbow

Why

Why not

Because it could be a waste of time, and I don't like wasting my time?

Attached: dumb.png (768x500, 43K)

You're probably lazy

You kinda need to enjoy the pain to complete the degree. Do NOT take a year off and do not waste your free time playing video games. Even if you have doubts about CS just finish your degree and reevaluate things after college. Changing majors or dropping out is very bad life choice.

Definitely not, I studied my fucking ass off for that first Calc 2 test and still failed it. The biggest issue I have is that there is little to no tutoring at my school for that class, and the tutors that are there are horrible, so if you're not naturally good at math you're fucked. But no, it has nothing to do with being lazy.
Honesty I'm not sure what to do here. It makes me think, if I'm struggling this much right now it's only gonna get worse. I'm thinking about just switching to IT and making my life a lot easier, but I feel like if I do that I'll end up fucking myself when I'm looking for a job. As in people are gonna think, "oh, you weren't smart enough to do CS huh? We'll call you", or something like that.

I did a double major in CS/Maths.
I only recommend if you really truly enjoy maths. I've seen multiple people hating the theoretical maths classes. Proofs are much different than applied maths. Having said that, if you think you could major in math, then majoring in CS too should be no problem. But failing Cal 2 is in my opinion not a good sign, cuz in CS the most useful maths things come mainly from Cal 2. Series and sequences and what not. But hard work always pays off in these sorts of things.

double major in math is a waste of time. Look at the list of classes you have to take... Most of them are useless for CS. Mathfags will argue with this out of denial, but it's true. Spend your time on data structures, algorithms, and personal projects instead, it'll make you a lot more employable.

I do enjoy math actually, but I really don't know if I'm good enough to major in it and be successful. My state school has a double major option for it, and almost all of those math courses overlap so it only makes sense to do the double major. But yeah, I failed miserably and now I'm way behind in that class. I'm in CC right now, I'm thinking about taking it at the state school the second time so that I can go to tutoring whenever I want and someone can actually help me for real. There's no point in re-taking it at my CC if they're not gonna set me up to be successful. I could probably still pass the class, but I don't want to risk it.
Well most of the classes will count for CS anyway, so worst case I could always just switch back to normal CS and it wouldn't hurt me. I think it's only like 6 extra credits I'd have to take for the double major. But yeah, I'm not sure if I want to keep working THIS fucking hard and I'm not even pulling As here.

If you have to question it, CS is not for you.

You need to think about what you want to do. If you want to become a software developer out of college, focus on CS. Don't waste your major's elective credits on math courses over CS electives. However, if you are looking towards grad school or a data science route, the math could be helpful. But if you aren't liking calc II, this doesn't seem like the route for you. Admittedly, I hated the first unit of Calc II with the rotations/surface area/work shit, but once you get past that it's really interesting, especially the series/sequence content which is useful for when you take discrete.

You should consider taking time off or going part time at CC if you can mooch off of your parents. Working a shit job for a year will do wonders for your motivation. Better to take your time, have a plan, and succeed than barely scrape through with a shit gpa.

>I hated the first unit of Calc II with the rotations/surface area/work shit
Yup, that's exactly what did me in on this test, lost 25 fucking points on those questions. Other than that I actually do enjoy Calc 2 and I'm not that bad at Integrals in general. But admittingly, I have no idea what I want to do post-college. As it is right now I'm not interested in grad school at all. I do see what you're saying though, that does make a lot of sense. But most of the classes, if i do pure CS, are just gonna be humanities bullshit or free electives. I dunno, the whole thing is fucking annoying. I just want to get this fucking over with already.

Link me to your 4 year's Cs degree page. I have trouble believing you. I'm transferring from cc in the fall and I have 51 in major hours I have to take. And that doesn't even include two oop classes, calc 1-3, lab science, discrete, and datat structures which I've all taken at my cc

Here's both, the first just CS and the second is the double major

catalog.njit.edu/undergraduate/computing-sciences/computer-science/bs/index.html

catalog.njit.edu/undergraduate/computing-sciences/computer-science/cs-math-bs/index.html

I mean you'll definitely have your hands full with just the Cs degree, and you'll get more cs electives. That double major schedule is suicide fuel.

I was kinda thinking that too. What I was considering was doing 24 credits in the fall/spring, then making up the rest in the summer. There is no way I could handle 18 credits with 2-3 classes being math. The IT major is by far the easiest, it's a cakewalk compared to these degrees. After calc 2 I would be done. I kinda want the challenge that math provides though, but I'm not convinced it'll be worth it

FeelsWeirdMan

Attached: oBtfiG3.png (294x256, 136K)

Well, that's up to you. I'm biased, but I think you should do CS with the backup option of switching IT. You'll be able to make that decision when you start tackling upper level CS material. For now, even if you drop calc you can study it on your own to prepare for when you take it again. Focus on that challenge first before biting off a math degree. And keep practicing programming. I'm off to bed, best of luck to you.

Thanks man, I'll keep it in mind for sure

bump

I hate this bullshit. Not everyone is Bill Gates. There are many legitimate reasons that CS might not be for you. Questioning your career like 99% of the human population does is not a reason.

>There are many legitimate reasons that CS might not be for you
like what?

Physics and calc aren't supposed to be easy
They are for some people but they weren't for me.
But where I did Excel (besides Cs) was linear algebra, number theory, and discrete math, all of which are arguably much more relatable to cs than calc or physics

If you don't poo in the loo then IT is for you
But if you poo in the loo then CS is for you

I haven't taken Linear Algebra yet, but I've heard that class is easy as fuck and nowhere near as difficult as Calc 1-3.

That double major is fucking brutal. Even WITH summer classes you'll likely have to work your ass off, especially if you're already struggling in Calc 2. Unless you're really passionate about math I would just stick to cs. If you insist on it MAYBE a math minor, but retake calc 2 and see how you feel after that.

If you struggled with Algebra and Trigonometry back in HS, then you're going to stuggle with Calculus.

If it's easy as fuck then it's the way it's being taught.
Calc is an applied math course and la is a pure math course
When la is taught properly it is mostly all theorums and proofs
I find most people gravitate towards either applied or pure math but few are very good at both

I'm afraid of going to university because I know for a fact that all the filler subjects they make you take will force me to drop out. Why do they do this shit anyway?

Because like you said, it's too weed people out that aren't smart/competent enough to take upper level classes. Some schools, though, don't care and will water the shit out of their CS programs so that almost anyone passes. That doesn't look like the case here though because this looks like a real CS program.

Isn't that kind of unfair?

In what way? You're there to learn and grow as an individual. A lot of schools take great pride in providing rigorous and challenging course loads, especially for their STEM programs, where students come out of it well prepared for the job market. If you want to do something "easy", then you have no business majoring in STEM in the first place. Those majors, and yes that includes CS, aren't suppose to be easy. It has nothing to do with being fair. Life is not fair and not everything is going to be handled to you on a golden plate.

Because overwhelming students with unrelated fields so it takes away focus from what they're trying to major in is absolutely sadistic and immoral.

You could always go work at a fucking Burger King if it's too much for you

>no argument
Just as I thought

If you're talking about general ed that's like 15 credits, 20 tops, and those classes are nowhere near as difficult as the core courses.

Well if other people can do it then why can't you?

Learning something is never a waste of time. Learning will increase your wisdom.

There is no such thing as “naturally good at math”
Either you are fucking lazy and just expect math equations and theorems to draw pictures in your head as soon as you read the symbols, or you do the right thing and use your own sense of logic to solve the math problems, using the text to reaffirm correct intrerpretations, and to reevaluate wrong interpretations.

>There is no such thing as “naturally good at math”
Yes, there is. Granted anyone can git gud at math with enough work, but some people definitely pick it up a lot faster than others.