What are you guys going to do when all the *good* thinkpads run out?

what are you guys going to do when all the *good* thinkpads run out?
how long do you think they are going to be around for (in that you can easily buy one on ebay)?

Attached: thinkpad.jpg (2697x2153, 1.1M)

My X250 is nice

There will always be more good Thinkpads out there than neckbeards that want them, and that's why they're

Should be a while yet. And as time goes on and a consumer's ability to create custom solutions, we'll be able to extend the lives of our machines.

I'm already seeing companies observe the old thinkpad trend. I think thinkpad itself wants to rebuild things upto their old standard again.
The only hurdle today is the modern legal system. It's not the same as the legal system that built the older thinkpads.

>I think thinkpad itself wants to rebuild things upto their old standard again.
I don't want to buy it after lenovo was caught installing chinese backdoors into their shit.

Is there a specific model you'd recommend?

nothing, I have t480s which is still pretty good and I don't see this one being outdated for a couple more years

>I think thinkpad itself wants to rebuild things upto their old standard again
Yes, that's why they have started selling ThinkPads with non-removable batteries, shitty keyboards and soldered CPUs and RAM. Truly in line with the ThinkPad tradition!

just get a newer one once they stop selling old ones
my x270 is comfy

A soldered on CPU doesn't bother me that much, I just want lots of interfaces on the dock.

Hopefully by that time, there will be decent laptops on the market again. If not, I plan on running my T420 for at least another few decades.

There will be another meme machine to take over. Given enough time future Jow Forums will be gobbling up all the surface pros 1-3s

>ThinkPad tradition
Here's my 240x with soldered ram that I had to desolder to get to the chipset memory limit

Attached: JPEG_20190104_013702.jpg (3120x4160, 1.4M)

surface pro's are crap though

>caught installing chinese backdoors into their shit
As I said, the legal system is fucking with our computers. I didn't just mean the US legal system. China is being stupid as well.

It seems like both Chinese and Americans are fighting their legal systems lately, because they just love planting back doors in your systems.

wtf

used surface 1-3's are priced out by faster, better made laptops on ebay, so they're already out of the Jow Forums meme machine race

I can browse the internet and write shit on my X60 which I have three of. I will be good unless they just die for no reason. If worse comes to worse the end I wouldn't mind getting a nu-pad.

Yeah every laptop in general then had some soldered RAM but they still had a slot you could put your own in with. My 600 and 770 both had plates at the bottom that revealed the slots just like you'd expect. Also pretty sure you did not have to remove that soldered RAM to hit the limit, I have heard people have done it on the line of 240's without it.

By the time the supply truly runs out and my T420s finally dies, technology will have improved where I will able to just 3D print my own indistinguishable from the original. I actually look forward to the day when fellow /tpg/ anons will be able to trade CAD files over the net for subtle improvements yet maintain the spirit and greatness of the original.

probably save up for a mobo from 51nb

they literally had to make half these compromises to keep up with the current market. theyd probably sell no where near as many machines if they kept their bulky design. blame the consumer not lelnovo

Surface Go and a mech kb

I counted the other day, I have 42 Thinkpads. Not only do I intend to never use a nu-top myself, but these are all in great working order, from 486 Thinkpads to T420s. I have carefully refurbished each one and have most of the old ones dual booting Dos / Windows and OpenBSD (which runs great on these old beasts).

As time goes on who knows how valuable this stash will become? People laughed at the folks hoarding early Apple IIs and Next machines, whose laughing now? Even old IBM PCs have gotten to be ridiculously expensive.

Keep calm and hoard Thinkpads. If you don't get your stash now, somebody else will have gotten in first.

Parts machines especially broken computers with good less-worn keyboards are good to have too.

I'll just buy a slightly less good one
By the time my X230 shits itself and I have to buy something else I probably can get 5 T480's only to post on Jow Forums

There are people on this website that still use a X60 daily
You're basically set for a decade

this

I plan on sticking with my T400 until the day comes where a C2D is no longer sufficient for web browsing. I have been thinking of picking up a T420 or similar model (the last ones made before switching to chiclet cancer keyboards) to bump up to an i5 though.

>C2D is no longer sufficient for web browsing
You mean like now?

What? Web browsing is fine with a C2D. Dick head.

It's a real problem to buy a good thinkpad in Europe. Ebay prices are crazy.

Nope, unless all you do is browse this shithole.

What sites can you not browse?

Anything requiring botnet.js, so all of them.

I don't have any issues. Could you be more specific?

yeah .js means javascript and botnet.js is feckin mining script

The World Wide Web is back-doored to Hell via the CERN portal. Satan himself probably gave them the plans.

Attached: First browser WWW released Xmas Day 1990 CERN.jpg (1332x711, 574K)

A big part of old thinkpads is the opportunity for freedom. Any new thinkpads will have bios's, or more likely straight up eufi (ew) that prevents flashing coreboot and using me_cleaner, thus condemning you to 1. Uncustomizable bios and 2. Intel backdoors.

I browse with a c2d, every site is perfectly usable. I can even play emulated games on archive.org.

>run out
boi i have 5 x200's, i'll be good for a while.

Attached: 1551216792241.png (675x717, 582K)

Ebay is a better ecommerce site than most out there

The 240 and 240x are on different chipsets. The 240x has a chipset ram limit of 256mb, and 64mb soldered ram. Since 192mb modules dont exist, you have to desolder the ram to get 256mb.