Is it really worth getting an ssd? never had one and im not gonna spend 40 bucks just because

is it really worth getting an ssd? never had one and im not gonna spend 40 bucks just because

Attached: 1200px-Vertex_2_Solid_State_Drive_by_OCZ-top_oblique_PNr°0307.jpg (1200x787, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wd.com/en-ie/products/internal-ssd/wd-blue-ssd.html#WDS250G1B0B
corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Storage/M-2-SSDs/force-series-mp500-config/p/CSSD-F240GBMP500
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you need to ask, you are a retard.

It's fine, though not the gains in speed you hear the shills online talking about. At least not when compared to a good HDD, say a WD Black.

SSD's are cookie cutter shit

absolutely! be sure to buy the SATA II one!

Theyre worth it, the sata ones at least. Avoid m.2s like the fucking plague.

>Theyre worth it, the sata ones at least. Avoid m.2s like the fucking plague.
This statement is complete idiocy. You're probably one of those people who say "SSD drive".

SATA is an interface and M.2 is a form factor. SATA M.2 SSDs exist. God damn why can't anyone understand this?

Yes, absolutely is. I finally got an MX500 after YEARS of not being able to afford new PC parts, and it’s night and day difference. I even get frustrated now with how long it takes to access my old data on the HDD

yes, you fucking dumb shit. if you're that dense try 256gb. gee its only $29.

he's a retard who regurgitates shit he sees on here without any thought of his own

dumb cunt mythology right here

um... seaktime on a wd black starts at 7ms, and goes up to a few hundred before you would consider it a drive failure.

for boot/os drive, an ssd is night and day different, hell dedicated boot in general is night and day, see last time I booted off a hdd I managed to hammer the drive to the point read times were in the kb range on a drive that after it stopped being an os drive did 150-170mb read speeds

I recommend 120gb boot drive and keep some programs on it like web browser and the general shit you use daily, seek times measured in micro/nano (i forget which) is worlds different from even 1ms.

now, what you don't see an improvement in is load times, as most programs compress to some degree and this bottlenecks storage to around 300-400mb read speeds, if your shit is reading at 300-400mb and you aren't seaking everywhere, you don't notice the improvement.

long story short, boot hammers drives hard to the point it cripples hdds, the near 0 seek time exponentially improved your experience.

When will you understand everyone knows sata = slow and m.2 = fast?
Isn't there autism medicine?

yes for system. you WILL notice a speed boost. you don't even need a big one. 256GB is more than enough for an OS (tho the bigger the longer it'll last)
also yes for swap/VM

>my laptop has a slow fast sata m.2 ssd

I bet science can't explain that

Yes because people are talking about laptops and not buying an ssd for their pc.

OP never specified what kind of computer he has, and you can install a SATA M.2 SSD into a PC just as well if you don't care about maximum speed but want to reduce the amount of cables.

I got 512GB for $50 on AliExpress. It's 5x faster for only 2x the price of HDD.

Your computer will not be faster in everything, but it will be noticeably faster in anything that fetches data from the disk. There are many of those tasks so you should see the difference. For example you don't get more FPS in games but maps load faster.

I've noticed a speed difference, but I started using it with my new build. I think it would have made my old build faster. I use Ultimate Defrag on my HDDs, and I noticed a big performance difference by moving applications to the outer disk rings. Windows Defrag nowhere near as good. I got a decent speed boost on my old build just doing that. As fast as when it was new.

dear Jow Forums: how fucked/10 is my HDD?

Attached: HDD.jpg (474x454, 36K)

it's ridiculously faster when compared to HDDs. I can use my computer a few seconds after post but it still takes my motherboard a good 10 seconds to post for some reason.

Just got a NVMe for my gay man compooter and good damn those load times

3 gigabits per second transfer speeds on most sata hdd's unless its sata III which is 6gbs.
M.2 or and m.sata is up to 32gbs!
You do know basic math right?

Only draw back of faster storage is shorter shelf life meaning it's not a long term storage solution. Unless the information being stored is accsesed frequently use a hdd
For somthing accsesed daily such as an OS and other software used by the OS best to store on some form of solid state drive
You will notice a msaaive difference in load times from a HDD to SSD to msata/flash storage

>the absolute state of Jow Forums

It is absolutely worth getting one.
In addition to the fast speeds, the most important thing is that there is no seek time with an SSD. You'll notice the speed difference the first time you open your web browser.

PROTIP:
shortstroke your HDD (usually 25% of full capacity)
Format primary partition to 64KB block size
Set indexing on the secondary partition (75% of HDD) to off and don't install gaymes/programs on it, just video/music

It got me 40 second boot times on windows 10 and faster game loads. Did on a 1TB HDD so shortstroke got me 250GB for C: drive. No SSD required.

Attached: 1542331987513.jpg (1084x1027, 380K)

Like this wd.com/en-ie/products/internal-ssd/wd-blue-ssd.html#WDS250G1B0B
For real tho, who buys this shit?
If you are going to get one OP I am using corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Storage/M-2-SSDs/force-series-mp500-config/p/CSSD-F240GBMP500 as a boot drive and it is pretty damn good

Also set the second partition to 64KB block size (ie allocation unit size) as well.

Bonus protip: disable superfetch/sysmain, windows defender, and system restore. Those all use precious HDD resources.

More and more laptops are shipping with only the M.2 form factor these days, no 2.5" bay. I'm sure plenty of people would like to replace the SSD in their laptop and have no need for a full speed PCI-E drive.

You can have my Vertex 2 for $40.
P.S.: Be sure to buy Bitcoin in late 2011 and sell it in 2018.

It's the difference compared to upgrading an XP machine in the past from 256mb of ram to 2gb.

many people dont know this but ssds are actually only slightly faster than hdds (and much less durable).
all ssds have a chip that tricks benchmark software for higher virtual numbers with no real physical benefit whatsoever
dont get memed into buying one

>Partition fuckery
>Limits your application install space to 1/4 of the drive
>Just disable superfetch, and antivirus, and system restore! Not like those are good for anything...
>Hell yeah, got that sweet 40 second boot time

Dude, just get an SSD. Mine was literally like $60, and my computer boots up in about 12 seconds, with most of that time being the motherboard POSTing. Keep your HDD for media, and you won't have your installs constrained to a 250 GB partition.

I'm glad my SSD was able to trick physics into letting it transfer data to my server's RAMdisk 5x faster than a HDD.

What cables and connectors do I need to buy for an SSD?

thread ruining autism

> the absolute state of you

NAH, I'll wait until samshit 1TB MLC M.2 drives drop to ~$50/piece. Because with 64KB block sizes cheap TLC chinkshit SSDs won't even give me twice the real world performance except in sequential read/writes.

NVME M.2 if you really want an upgrade.

>NVME M.2 if you really want an upgrade.

Why not a NVME for windows and an SATA SSD for everything else?

You can get an entire TB of HDD space sitting on your PCIE lane for $150. 2 years ago that would have blown my mind

Attached: sgd (2).png (527x647, 58K)

Also superfecth is a piece of shit, just wastes RAM caching stuff to your HDD which cripples HDD per in general negating said faster load times, windows antivirus sucks huge donkey balls raping your CPU/HDD whenever the fuck it feels like it, and system restore is for absolute mongs who don't know what they're doing when editing registry/services/group policy.

I'm very curious about something now. If you were to install windows 10 with the primary partition configured with 64KB block sizes (ie allocation unit size), would you see faster read/writes even on an SSD or would it be a meme at this point?

>windows antivirus sucks huge donkey balls
any decent antivirus then?

looonix/antivirus live cd. What kind of dumb fuck scans for viruses in the same OS?

Why the fuck do you need an nvme drive, are you doing media editing? Just buy a fucking adata sata ssd and call it a day, marginal performance improvements are worthless.

Think pagefile you mong.

>inb4 "lul just get 128GB of RAM lmao"

Nigga you dumb

I've been using Linux for the past 3 years and typically sit around 10 second boots for fresh installs and 20 second boots for older installs, all with HDDs. Does it honestly still take 40 seconds to boot Windows 10 after all that work?

Are HDDs still preferable for long-term storage? They're cheaper so I figured I could set up a media server/backup with some since speed won't really be a concern.

Yes.
Get the sata I.

He must be doing something retarded, it shouldn't take that long.

>What kind of dumb fuck scans for viruses in the same OS?
why tho?

Do you even have a single fact to back that up?

Pagefile on an NVME SSD is good because:
- faster random read/write (especially MLC NVME)
- very hard to wear down (especially MLC NVME)

It's almost like having actual extra RAM 90% as fast in most real world tasks.

>he does not own an M.2 NVMe SSD

Attached: why.gif (500x382, 125K)