Autism aside, if you would recommend one Linux DE, which one would it be and why?

Autism aside, if you would recommend one Linux DE, which one would it be and why?

Attached: 1375985143857.gif (260x240, 961K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNOME-Shell-Mutter-3.31.92
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Xfce, just werks

I too have an affinity for XFCE.

Xfce
Customization, low RAM usage

KDE. Beautiful, just werks, and has great integration with music players, web browsers, and Android phones. Plus it's fairly similar to Wangblows, so it's easy for beginners.

XFCE

>Unity
>XFCE
>KDE
...in that order. I still use Unity.

Gnome 3.32. Supports fractional scaling finally.

It's not a fucking XFCE you fucking imbeciles it's a fucking Xfce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a KDE man myself

KDE is by far my favorite in terms of options and functionality, though whenever I tried it I also ran into bugs which ultimately made me avoid it for long-term use on work machines. It's been a while though, it's worth trying again to see if stability is improved.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNOME-Shell-Mutter-3.31.92

Kubuntu always broke for me, but KDE on Antergos has worked perfectly for me so far.

Yup

Not even a complete DE

KDE, based qt framework

Elaborate

it works until there's something that it doesn't cover in its configurations, and then you have to figure out how to do it yourself. not newbie friendly.
3heavy, but fine otherwise.
really this, although i don't really use it in favor of i3
only problem i've had with it is the baloo indexing thing

Do people use cinnamon?

I've always really liked Enlightenment and felt that it's been overlooked due to how widespread KDE and XFCE are. Not saying they're bad, but Enlightenment is what I'd use if I couldn't use 2bwm.

Yes, I use Linux Mint with Cinnamon
Just werks

Default image viewer? Default software manager? Default file manager? It's a nice lightweight base but it doesn't provide of complete catalog of supported apps like GNOME or KDE

>the baloo indexing thing
I had that issue too. I literally just deleted its folder and that fixed the problem.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1492227807770.jpg (1920x1080, 94K)

KDE. You can set things up so everything is pretty similar to Windows 7/10 + it has Dolphin, which is the only good Linux file manager imho.

Attached: 1432750914764.jpg (1280x960, 256K)

gentoo

ubuntu with gnome

LXQt. Minimal, low resource usage, qtchad instead of virgingtk, decent collection of software, uses openbox as wm, doesn't have a shitton of dependencies, modular.
I'm currently using it on Gentoo. Pretty comfy.

just tried it again for the 42435th times and it's still a buggy piece of shit.
I tried
arch + kde
kde neon
kubuntu
everytime the setting app crash
sometime it's konsole
sometime it hangs when I launch firefox
discovery lock apt and I can't do upgrades anymore while draining battery
hibernate mode works whenver it wants so I have to turn it off if I don't want the battery to disappear while in my bag
the list goes on

I try this on a modern laptop with standard config
i5
8GB ram
128GB ssd
1080p

meanwhile gnome just works, I really want to ditch it because gnome devs are retards but no MODERN, and ONLY MODERN, alternatives exist.

none, I can get away with doing what I want on a terminal

This, don't bother with any other DE, the era of good DE's is long gone.

Harmful bloat. Use IceWM.

>Default image viewer?
Ristretto?
>Default software manager?
You don't really need it if you have more than 1 month experience running Linux
>Default file manager?
Thunar?

this

Xfce. Looks decent enough out of the box, just werks, low RAM usage, plenty of room for customization.

I don't get the low RAM usage meme, mainly cause if you have 8+ gigs of RAM then you won't feel much of a difference anyways.

Also, LXQt is shit.

CentOS, it's the only one without constant problems.

Gotta be KDE because Dolphin is the ONLY modern file manager is all of linux

Attached: cat_computer_2.jpg (960x698, 84K)

More than anything else I want to use Haiku's manager everywhere.

>Dolphin is the ONLY modern file manager
never heard of fman i guess

Attached: fman.gif (758x319, 905K)

Image previews?

I agree. Although I am digging ReactOs a lot nowadays

Multi image renaming?

looks like sublime text lol

Why would you even want a full-blown DE? Having a window manager is enough.

If you have to, you can get a DM and a compositor along with it.

I'll let you know that I'm a lifelong Windows user and it's mainly because I like more aspects of DWM than I dislike.
It's not perfect by any means, and you can make Openbox, KDE, etc function close to it. But this is what I use.

I have no strong attachment to Windows other than that, so I can see the ReactOS Explorer being good, if not better since it's open and thus fully customizable.

When I use *nix systems I tend to either use a customized Openbox, KDE, and sometimes Notion.

The perfect DE for me would probably be DWM with haiku decorations, specifically the ability to group windows by tabs and tiles, making them a single (and unique) icon in a taskbar.

I also like some of the concepts from NeXTSTEP/Windowmaker.

If I had the free time I'd make my own frankenstein of all of these.

I don't recommend DEs.
There's no accounting for taste.
There's even people out there who like xfce.

I use it on my laptop, and it looked easy enough until i wanted to:
1. videochat with my mom
>sound is crackling/stuttering and no amount of alsamixer tweaking fixed it
>my headset microphone isn't working and no amount of alsamixer tweaking fixed it
2. watch youtube HD/fullHD
>laggy 10fps, while on windows it played 1080p60 easily
>extreme temps and cooler noise
>battery drains in 15min while on windows it lasted for 1.5h
>these problems persist even with hw acceleration on in mozilla

Can somebody recommend me linux distro that won't have these problems, or is it universal for every distro? I don't ask for much. I have AMD APU and i can't for the love of god install proprietary drivers. Every single way and tutorial doesn't work, it's always a step that doesn't look like that on my machine, or something that differs

linux for better or worse is almost always stuck in beta mode, so no can't really recommend you an OS that will work out of the box guaranteed. And if ubuntu derivatives are failing you, I don't know what else to recommend lol, they have better driver support than all the other distros.

I will ask in fglt, make my own thread, and if nothing helps i'm going back to windows and will trashtalk linux till the end of my life. I gave it a chance, i really did. I'm trying to set it up to work for like 5 months now, and basic things don't work remotely well. I traded off battery life and agreed to be stuck on a charger, but multiple things are not working and i just can't tolerate it anymore

Ubuntu, it works.

>using a DE
i3 is all you need. it sets up the config for you and it just werks

mint is a derivative of ubuntu. So no. Also, have you tried pulseaudio instead of fiddling with the alsamixer settings. I havent had that problem before so no experience.

Honestly you can't go wrong with GNOME or KDE or Budgie. They are the flagship Linux desktops that are the most supported.

yup, forgot to mention, pulseaudio tweaking also didn't work

What are your laptops specs? Also you can fix that crackling easily:
1. sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa
2. Find load-module module-detect (it will probably be on line 55)
3. Add tsched=0 to the end of the line, it should look like this: load-module module-detect tsched=0
4. Reboot, if you have no sound you fucked something up and should put the line back to how it was.

I'm working on getting this added to the full pulseaudio software.

Yes mint is a derivative of ubuntu, what is your point?

What graphics card do you have? Mint has a flawless driver manager, literally two clicks and you have the right driver.
If you have an nvidia gpu it will take one command and two clicks (yes I know, unacceptable but take it up with leather jacket man)

did that, rebooting, waiting for results

i will copy my post from fglt
Ok guys, i need serious help.

I went with balls deep version and deleted w10 altogether. I have a desktop with w10 for games and audio/video editing, and i wanted my laptop to be for surfing - so i installed Linux Mint with Cinnamon (as recommended by others, a newbie distro).
Specs are: AMD APU A6-6310 with R4 graphics, 8gb RAM, 1tb HDD. I have open source AMD drivers and i can't install proprietary ones, not a single tutorial works for me

My use case for laptop is: videochatting, watching youtube, surfing/shitposting, listening to music - so i'm not asking much. I've been trying to set it up for 5 months now, but almost every use case has a serious problem.

1. videochatting
>sound is crackling/stuttering and no amount of alsamixer tweaking and pulseaudio killalls fixed it
>my headset microphone isn't working and no amount of alsamixer tweaking and pulseaudio killalls fixed it
2. watching youtube in HD/fullHD
>laggy 10fps, while on windows it played 1080p60 easily
>extreme temps and cooler noise
>battery drains in 15min while on windows it lasted for 1.5h
>these problems persist even with hw acceleration on in mozilla
3. surfing/shitposting
>this shit at least works without problem, if it weren't for this i would be back on windows already
4. listening to music
>doesn't matter if it's VLC, audacious, or yt videos, changing volume or skipping forwards/backwards causes audio to glitch/repeat

Can somebody recommend me linux distro that won't have these problems, or is it universal for every distro? I don't ask for much.

Things that i tried so far:
>pulseaudio and alsamixer tweaking
>turning on hw acceleration in firefox
>installing proprietary AMD drivers because apparently their support for APUs on Linux is shit (but didn't succeed)

Try an arch based distro
Manjaro is basically Ubuntu for arch it's easy to install
I had driver issues and screen tearing on Ubuntu but no problems at all with Manjaro
Plus they have more up to date DEs

This might sound like a dumb question, but do you have any options in the Driver Manager?

nope, it just says that no proprietary drivers are in use, and buttons "revert" and "apply changes" are greyed out

crackling is still there, and people that i talk with say my microphone is fucked and i sound like a robot

Fuck it who knows, do me a favour and install Ubuntu 18.04 before you give up and go back to Windows (LTSB 2016).

>what is ranger?

Never heard of it

>seeing everyone circlejerk file managers as well
>nobody mentions pcmanfm