How do you protect an old computer from deteriorating?

How do you protect an old computer from deteriorating?

Attached: 1280px-Atari_520ST_system.jpg (1200x800, 153K)

nerve gas

Nuke HDD with 0s, do full format, install fresh OS BUT set block/allocation unit size to 64KB on a partition that only takes 15% of the HDD.

If you do that you'll probably never have to reinstall OS as file fragmentation takes much much longer.

25%*

onion juice is actually a viable substitute for armor all.

Put it in a vacuum

DAMMMNNNNN
WOOOWZZAA
HORRY SHETT

Recap, recondition or replace PSU, keep out of sunlight, run the thing periodically to ensure everything gets some exercise.

If you actually intend to use an old computer regularly replacing the floppy and hard drives with those SD card adapters or a CF2SCSI is probably the way to go.

Soak it in lots of chemicals until it's not yellow. Who cares about brittle plastic anyway?

Attached: 8bitboomer applelfaggot.png (489x429, 43K)

It will start even sooner because you decimated the space to play with. The filesystem is confined within this partition.

Cluster the damn thing with the rest of your older computers and run SETI or cluster and run LInpac and it won't take as long to do your math homework.

No it won't, that's not how it works at all. Fragmentation happens because files are not always continuously written in the same section of a HDD platter due to physical/OS/file system limitations and because when files are "deleted" they're actually not.

Anyway having 64KB block sizes ensures small files less than 64KB are GUARANTEED to be written in their own section of the HDD. You know, the ones HDDs fucking blow at randomly seeking? On top of that fragmentation will happen less because instead of say having like 10,000,000 blocks you'll have less than 1,000,000

This

Attached: 3.-Han-Solo-Carbonite-Case.jpg (450x338, 21K)

Fragmentation isn't really an issue though
Also you can replace the HDD with an SSD or other flash memory on practically any PC

>Star wars

Attached: uSYWEuG.gif (680x315, 114K)

It is and SSDs will bankrupt you. Anyway HDDs are crippled by random 4KB read/writes from the get-go so fragmentation of say 8-64KB files will cause a massive drop in performance. Enforcing said files are put in 64KB "boxes" means the HDD can easily retrieve them quickly and load them into RAM.

It's stupid, will waste like 10-20% space BUT it werks.

>SSDs will bankrupt you
What do you mean

Find me a 4TB 970 pro for $70.

I thought this thread was about old computers

That's the point, SSDs are a no-go. If you're willing to invest in an SSD then you're better off getting an i9-9900K and 2080ti and hooking up a refrigerant water chiller to both.

So you're that one autist who still refuses to use SSDs
Good for you

You can pry my HDD from my cold dead hands.

Shit that's a sexy ST - what's the drive bay, 3rd party?

>SSD bulk storage
unless you're some autist who unironically uses stupidly big video resolutions it doesn't matter
I've never paid more than $100 for a SSD

Move to an area that isn't a salty humid shithole, and don't treat your stuff like garbage.

Works for me.

So in what... two, three more years gramps?

I have a few old machines that I bring out every once in a while. I'm not sure if this is the BEST way but when I'm not going to be using it I make sure to park the HDD heads (on the really old ones than need it) and I put a floppy in the drive after I power it down. Then I dump some of those (do not eat) packets inside and wrap in up in a garbage back tightly and packing tape. ( I live in a humid area). Then I put it in a cardboard box and put it back in the shed. As far as when its out, just keep it clean and out of the sunlight. Try and keep the humidity down, and dust it out regularly. Don't be mean to it and don't let other people fuck with it.