Is Radeon Technologies Group on life support?

Holy fuck AMD's GPU division is in an absolutely nightmarish state. They're hardly making any profit on the Radeon VII because of the 16GB of HBM2. The only reasons why they released the Radeon VII was to get rid of trash-tier MI50s that couldn't become MI50s and to remind people that AMD still makes GPUs.

The RX 590 was DEAD ON ARRIVAL at the price it launched at. The GTX 1660 Ti spits on the RX 590's grave. The cheapest RX 590 I've seen is $240. The cheapest GTX 1660 Ti I've seen is $280. If you don't think the $40 more expensive GTX 1660 Ti puts the nail in the RX 590's coffin, you're a lost cause.

Honestly, it's going to take a miracle for them to be competitive with NVIDIA again. Do you faggots think RTG can pull a rabbit out of a hat? Honestly, if the highest end Navi is only GTX 1080 performance, I don't think that's going to be enough to shake things up.

The GPU market is a snoozefest. And it's all thanks to 12 year old NVtards who ask their mommies for GeForces so they can play Fortnite.

-chose housefire-tier GTX 480 over HD 5870
-chose milk-tier GTX 680 over one of the best aging GPUs of all time, the HD 7970
-chose some of the worst aging GPUs of all time, the GTX 780/GTX 780 Ti over the FineWine-tier R9 290/R9 290X
-chose the 3.5GB GTX 970 over R9 390
-chose the GTX 1050 Ti over the RX 570

We are in the state we are in today because of these stupid motherfuckers. Honestly, if you own one of the GPUs above, go fuck yourself with a cactus.

Attached: image.jpg (670x353, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-bending-is-that-a-problem.2416054/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

at least they have good linux drivers

>Do you faggots think RTG can pull a rabbit out of a hat?
Only once AMD can spend enough money to substantially revise GCN's front end to fix how hopelessly front end bottlenecked it is. Until then, no.

GTX 680 4GB owner here, still works fine for 1080p gaman

I do own a AMD card, but i must say that Radeon is past it's prime.
They peaked at 4000 series

You need to wait another year or two to really understand how badly raja fucked up RTG.

Source: OPs ass.

Navi contracts for PS5 and next xbox...
Maybe Mrs dolphine design next non GCN architecture.

I've never had a nvidia card that lasted for more than 3 years

still rocking my R7 270X since 2015.

Nividia is just a big meme

They also don't have POZZED software with back and forward icons literally from Windows XP.

Attached: img_598d72e8c805b.jpg (958x785, 70K)

>-chose housefire-tier GTX 480 over HD 5870
>-chose the GTX 1050 Ti over the RX 570
The latter is the correct choice though because in this comparison RX 570 is the housefire

By now they should've just dropped GCN altogether, if they couldn't fix in 8 years sure as hell they can't fix it now

>R7 270X
The fuck?

are you playing games to get so riled up about mid/high end cards?

>Highest end Navi is only 1080 performance.

That's about all I'm expecting if even that. Navi is still GCN so it's likely to be very similar in performance to a die shrunk poolaris.

Let's say the die shrink alone gets them 25% more performance like Radeon VII. That puts it the RX 580 replacement at 1070 levels. They'd still need a 20-25% boost to get it to 1080 levels, and I think it'd be a miracle if they get that with GCN tweaks on Navi.

>Let's say the die shrink alone gets them 25% more performance like Radeon VII.
But VII itself is already die-shrunk and is on Vega which is newer by Polaris. So a die-shrunk Polaris can't be faster than VII.

R9 270X, sorry.

But to be fair about nvidia, i barely push it to the limit. Most of the time it is sitting on idle or ~20% use. It's used mostly for light gaming or Solidworks.

My old and long dead GTX 460 had to handle some heavy gaming, such as GTA IV.

Why did i buy that card? i thought i was going to play the poop out of AAA games, but eventually responsabilities started to kick in and 60$ is less appealing than buying a humble bundle.

Indie games are efficient, let's put it this way. They're not intensive, content heavy and casual friendly.

If you underclock and undervolt a 570 down to the point where it has equivalent performance to a 1050 Ti, their power consumption is roughly the same. Out of the box they're not even in the same league in terms of performance, so extra power consumption is justified. On the other hand, the 480 consumed almost double the power of a 5870 (and 45W more than the dual-GPU 5970) for 10% extra performance in a best case scenario.

Comparing the two situations makes you a retard.

Attached: power_average.gif (400x1091, 66K)

Shove your pajeet flat transparent modern GUI up your underage ass, drone.

I do hope Radeon makes a proper return to the high-end. I've had nothing but Radeon cards between GeForce 8800 and Pascal so I'd like to see them step up their game again, but at this point a Radeon product for me simply does not exist, they're not making one. They managed to compete against the absolutely excellent GeForce 8800 and make products which were compelling though, hopefully they can come back once again.

Navi probably won't be their glorious return, since even going by AMD's own statements it will be slower than Radeon VII, but it should at least be decently power efficient. If it were as fast as a GTX 1080, it would slide in place right where it should below the Radeon VII, so that would make sense at least. Turing isn't amazing as far as rasterization goes, so perhaps whatever comes out after Navi will be able to compete properly, though by the time that happens I would guess NVIDIA would also be on the 7nm train and get a decent boost out of it, if what they did with Pascal is any indication.

Which still haven't managed to break CUDA's iron grip on ML. I still don't see a well known OpenCL BLAS/LAPACK and TensorFlow still does not support OpenCL.
Not even in scientific computing does AMD get a break.

Maybe I worded it hard to understand. I didn't say Navi would be faster than Radeon VII. Just that the shrink to 7nm would probably give their current mid range cards a 25% boost like the one Vega to Vega VII got.

You dodged a bullet by choosing the R9 270X over the NVIDIA equivalent which I believe is the GTX 760. Kepler GPUs are rotten milk in the dumpster.

>t. I forgot AMD makes graphics cards for Xbox, playstation, wii, hp, dell, apple and that these massive hardware firms consider pc building enthusiasts as a small component of a much larger business model

lol the industry swallowed Huang's "The more you buy the more you save" whole. Data centers gave nvidia fat cash and only slumped this year. Stay delusional.

It was on accident tho, i'm still ignorant about video cards

desu i've been thinking to switch over to a small APU. less power consumption and it won't hurt my needs.

They're on one of those shounen brink of death moments, where they either die and become a giant transparent figure on the sky, or do a come back and finally defeat the villain.

i thought gcn was good

>The RX 590 was DEAD ON ARRIVAL at the price it launched at
It's just a 480
>Radeon VII
It's the AMD version of the nvidia card at the same price.

Is the Radeon VII better for gaming now that it's been out for a whole month? I like the look of its DX12 performance vs. RTX, and its fast-as-fuck HBM2 memory. I don't care about Ray tracing, and DLSS isn't too bad of a loss for me because I'm playing at 1440p anyway.

t. retarded ass nigger
consoles use amd gpus and processors retard.

Anyone who has actually used AMD on Linux knows it's as bad as it is on Windows. Honestly that's the least intelligent first post that could possibly have been made.

It's not, it was supposed to last a decade and they knew about the scaling problems in the first gen and did nothing to fix it

>linux drivers are as bad as windows ones
soo pretty good?

Attached: 1549911599746.jpg (350x363, 14K)

Chose 460 because it had better Linux support in those days. LUL

Radeon VII are Mi25

still running my R9 390X Space Heaterâ„¢ Edition. Runs everything I throw at it just fine at medium-max settings with no issues. I had to buy a third party AIO cooler for it and replace the smeared poo with proper thermal compound, but it's alright.

in all honesty, I think AMD will be competitive with their gpu cards after VII because regardless of the success of the VII, its still the first ever 7 nanometer gpu.

Not even Nvidia has reached 7 nanometer.

also same, but mine is getting the gpu bend and i dont know what to do about that.

the GPU bend? explain yourself fool

forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-bending-is-that-a-problem.2416054/

Its just fine for gaming now, especially if you spend a minute and undervolt it
just dont run it with a shit 3ghz cpu like i am

Where on earth you guys dig the numbers how much a gpu costs to make and how much marketing fees are on that price? I see this all the time with no sources whatsoever.

From my limited understanding gpus would cost like 30-90$ to make when compared to mobile devices. All the superduperexpensive memory parts are like 20$ at most.

I just bought an RX 580 for £150 for 1080p gaming. Currently have a GTX 760.

The 1050Ti is barely an upgrade. The 1060 is unfortunate in that the 3GB card is neutered shit.

Not willing to spend loads of money on GPUs either.

>-chose the 3.5GB GTX 970 over R9 390
to be fair the power consumption of the 390 vs the 970 is what killed the 390 and made people go 970. i ended up sending back my 390 for a refund and replaced it with a 980 in the end because of the stupidly high heat that 390 was putting out. i couldn't stand it. 280 watts was no joke on that 390.
yeah i was one of those idiots too. though i did end up replacing my 470 with a 6970 and no regrets.
>-chose milk-tier GTX 680 over one of the best aging GPUs of all time, the HD 7970
yup i bought into the hype and grabbed the 670 over the 7950.
>-chose some of the worst aging GPUs of all time, the GTX 780/GTX 780 Ti over the FineWine-tier R9 290/R9 290X
give some fairness to nvidia, back then 290's were like only available for two months before the god awful mining craze happened. i remember looking for a replacement for my 670 that bit the bullet and for the price of a 270x i was able to get a nvidia 780.
>The RX 590 was DEAD ON ARRIVAL at the price it launched at.
yeah amd should have used it to replace the 580 outright.
it IS good. amd just can't fix their frequency + power consumption dilemma. its been proven that GCN does provide stronger IPC compared to nvidia keplar parts (even turing is based off of keplar, believe it or not, but turing has really up IPC, biggest gain for nvidia since keplar's release thanks to the complete rework of their SM's) but the higher you increase clock rates, the stupid level of power consumption goes up. give amd credit they did improve it greatly with vega, but still behind nvidia in clock frequencies + power consumption. if amd can't fix it, which really appears they can't, then they need to ditch it for something better.
nvidia technically still does on linux. but amd drivers have improved so much its worth it over nvidia since they're open source.

Attached: 1551489121645.jpg (768x768, 100K)

>GTX 1050 ti over 570
uh, RX 570 was really expensive back in crypto mining boom. 1050 ti and RX 560 were only viable options. Of course people would buy 1050ti over RX 560. RX 570 became affordable this late 2018.

Yeah but these past few months the RX 570 has been cheaper than the GTX 1050 Ti, yet the GTX 1050 Ti is still selling more.

The V7 wasn't meant to be profitable. It's just marketing.
Didn't bother to read the rest.

another low effort bait thread

Its more than that though. The press has a massive hard on for Nvidia GPUs, because Nvidia showers them with free high cost swag all the fucking time and blacklists them to fucking kingdom come if they don't play ball.

Its a mess. There's simply no one left in the market that has the cloud to call Nvidia out on its bullshit and for Nvidia to not be able to do a damn thing about it. In a hypothetical world, we'd need like a multi-trillionaire heir to a space mining corp who gets bored one day, starts his own review site, and then basically starts calling Nvidia out on their complete anti-consumer faggotry. Someone who can SERIOUSLY fuck their shit up if they don't stop.

But that doesn't exist in this world, and Nvidia has through anti-consumer behavior, managed to buy their way to the top. Epic is doing the same shit Nvidia did to the PC market, with their game store. It's no surprise that Epic and Nvidia love to give each other hand jobs with technology and engine optimization. Anywho, until someone with clout enters the industry and can be a threat to Nvidia, AMD will never achieve 50% market share even if they put out a GPU that can outperform a quad 2080Ti SLI with 100% scaling on a single GPU at 1/5th the power and heat with strong drivers at launch.

well yeah considering for about two years the 500 series were overpriced. people forgot amd existed in the low end.

and plus the 1050 ti doesn't even need a power connector. draws power straight from the motherboard. makes it perfect for oem prebuilts.

>muh power consumption
If your power supply can't handle a simple RX 570, you should shoot yourself.

I have a vega 64 and am completely satisfied with it.

>GTX 1050 Ti over the RX 570
RX 570 = GTX 1060 3GB, not 1050 Ti

GCN is garbage that will always underperform

Don't even mention compute, Turing absolutely destroys GCN in compute

Attached: AYYMD.png (630x173, 14K)

Don't bully 150W PSU owners. They are allowed to exist too.

>The GPU market is a snoozefest. And it's all thanks to 12 year old NVtards who ask their mommies for GeForces so they can play Fortnite.
You said it all OP. What's there to discuss here? You are only inviting contrarians/trolls.

cope harder faggot

I had to deal with these thickheads back when HD 4870 was around and HD 5870 was coming.

"Bah, i will never buy ATi..."

Many such cases on forums.

Attached: 1470902253464.jpg (1920x1200, 166K)

Oh! I always called that sag, yeah there are braces you can buy that align with the IO plate on your case where you'd mount your GPU to keep it straight. My card doesn't have one, but I know people who do have weighty cards (such as the 1070ti) that fuck up their motherboards.

When you said bend, I thought you meant like it gets so hot that the actual card itself begins to deform, like the heatsink or something. I was like "holy fuck nigger"

And?

No fucking shit sherlock. The RX 570 is cheaper than the GTX 1050 Ti, which is why it gets compared to it.

>chose housefire-tier GTX 480 over HD 5870
>chose the 3.5GB GTX 970 over R9 390
Agreed, I had a 5850 which oc'd nicely, and a 390, both better than the competition, both ignored by retards.
I don't know what to think about Navi, AMD seems to have given up hopes to compete in the high end segment, and that is a problem for all of us.
I unironically hope that Raja at Intel can eventually offer strong competition to nvidia, but it's going to take time, and the world is still laughing at previous intel's attempt in the GPU market.

Poor rtg first they get lead by the nose by a retarded Indian and have their budgets rnd as well as marketing / driver and hardware dev teams all fired shuffled around to make up for bulldozer tanking the company for 7 years then the finally squeeze polaris out almost like a miracle it was good then straight back to hbmeme fury x 2.0 Vega 14nm and 7nm horse shit.
Amd rtg is doomed until they get off gcn and get some $$$ pumped into them.
Amd CPU side are fine now so hopefully by 202x things will heat up

Former 4GB 680 owner here- you're lying. Far Cry 5 made me buy a Vega. And for rendering tasks? Vega buries it. In fact, the 570 that I got for next to free buried it too. Only picked up the 680 because it was cheap anyways, I love flipping graphics cards.

>Its all the consumers fault they didn't buy the objectively worse product

AMD hasn't had a decent Video card since the Flashable 7950. I owned 2 of those bad boys

Its not anyone BUT AMDs fault that they cannot be competitive. You release trash products expect trash results.

Attached: 307.jpg (670x350, 36K)

Explain how the R9 290/R9 390/RX 570 are not superior to their Nvidia counterparts. GO, Nvidiadrone!

I don't need to when all the benchmarks for those cards are still hosted

also

>290

Don't brag about a literal 7970 rebrand that was hot garbage

>thinks Hawaii is a rebranded Tahiti

Attached: 16e.jpg (903x960, 52K)

Yeah sorry, It was the 280X that was the rebrand. My bad its pretty hard to keep track of all of AMDs fuck ups.

>Thinks the R9 290 is a fuckup
The true fuckup is the GTX 780. That GPU is pajeet nshittia garbage.

AMD RTG is just going back to its roots (ATI OEM era). They are after OEM market via iGPUs and semi-integrated solutions.
They already seen the writing on the wall and don't see why they should bother spending massive R&D and marketing costs on discrete GPU solutions when that market is undergoing demand destruction.
AMD RTG is pulling a mid-2000s Matrox. Vega is the Parhelia of the late 2010s.
If you think Intel's renewed "interest" in discrete GPUs is going to change the landscape. You are completely delusional.
Intel is really just going after GPGPUs (which have been eating away at their HPC marketshare) and AMD RTG's next generation iGPUs. Their discrete GPUs are just prototypes for their next generation iGPUs and dedicated GPGPUs SKUs.

The fuck you get that from?
I had a 4870 and I have a 480, they use about the same power, both of which are less than a 5870 and about half the power of a 5970.
The former is the choice for mobile devices, probably the best laptop GPU ever but in terms of value, the 570 leaves a Ti in dust. At my local shop the cheapest 4gb 570 is $199aud, the cheapest Ti is $245 and it gets walked on.

>All the superduperexpensive memory parts are like 20$ at most.
HBM build prices on the Vega 56/64 were estimated to be around $150 at launch.