Can run some of the most advanced games with some tweaking

>can run some of the most advanced games with some tweaking
>yet somehow is impossible to run a word processor and spreadsheet application (Office)

What the fuck is their problem?

Attached: wine logo.jpg (700x350, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

joelonsoftware.com/2000/05/24/strategy-letter-ii-chicken-and-egg-problems/
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2739#knownbugs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

But it can run office fine

It's almost like Microsoft sabotage its software to make it hard to run on Linus

It's almost like the creator of Office has a deep, vested interest in keeping it off of GNU/Linux platforms. I wonder why that would be?

Attached: 1510635420620.png (769x810, 232K)

Wintards sure are brainlets

Just use libre office. It's better than Microsoft on every platform.

Because that's the only thing people use WIne for, aside from Photoshop and Adobe crapware. LibreOffice is perfectly fine for 99% of people's needs, runs natively and uses a truly open format

rest assured any compatability issues involved with MS products is due to MS desiring those issues, so no one will use alternative software, so everyone is stuck on MS products -- FOREVER!!

in theory anyway.

sure, if you never use a spreadsheet for more than five minutes on any given day

Attached: grassy.jpg (2048x1367, 1.37M)

Office makes use of Windows internals and implementation details that are not part of the documented Win32 API. Remember how Word 95 frees a random pointer when launched from a desktop shortcut?

I one-click installed a precracked office 2013 with wine
Im sure Wine devs stole code one this last year, theres no way this shit could improve so much in a single year

Microsoft software should not be used for any length of time greater than 0 seconds.

Cant run photoshop cs3 last time I checked, fucking why?

>can't run FFXI

Attached: spiltsilk.jpg (1023x781, 39K)

Why try cs3 when you can run cs6 perfectly?

Really?
I've just been using cs3 since forever.

Same for me with cs4, been using it since xp era
But once I found cs6 had a dark GUI I switched to it

>can't play MPEG movies from you're visuals novels

Attached: 3c0e16b50d58140a6073dba12a8e7eafba509f2f09efd84b6e3ab2de9d6e1349.jpg (508x382, 37K)

HOLY SHIT, IT RUNS
HOW?
Anyways, thanks user(s)!

Use LaTeX

>be me
>start making a presentation with libreoffice impress
>do a good chunck
>get up for a cup of coffee
>coffee is ready, time to go back to work
>all images in my presentation are gone

its fine but dont delude yourself lmao. It could actually be better without too much effort but GNU people have the terminal disease of making user interfaces and UX horrible for no reason.

I just wanted to run some .NET stuff. My only other trouble is with LUA scripts on some game, don't know why. Everything else I want to run, WINE does the job.

I sincerely believe Paint.Net was purposefully sabotaged to be un-Wineable at M$'s behest.

Latest releases are using some unimplemented 7 d2d+dx11 interop that was only thrown in to 7 from some specific update that you can't force in Wine.

Earlier versions may partially install then hang because it tries to "Create a restore point" even if you have .Net 4.7.2 installed and fully working, which yet again is unimplemented faggotry from msiexec.

Dumb shit like Paint.Net aside, literally everything else works. Though reproducing WIndows specific bugs in Wine 'cause some game engine dev wanted to cut corners is mind-blindingly annoying.

>takes 30 seconds to launch on an i9 and a SSD

reminds me of the simcity story in windows 95
>Windows 95? No problem. Nice new 32 bit API, but it still ran old 16 bit software perfectly. Microsoft obsessed about this, spending a big chunk of change testing every old program they could find with Windows 95. Jon Ross, who wrote the original version of SimCity for Windows 3.x, told me that he accidentally left a bug in SimCity where he read memory that he had just freed. Yep. It worked fine on Windows 3.x, because the memory never went anywhere. Here’s the amazing part: On beta versions of Windows 95, SimCity wasn’t working in testing. Microsoft tracked down the bug and added specific code to Windows 95 that looks for SimCity. If it finds SimCity running, it runs the memory allocator in a special mode that doesn’t free memory right away. That’s the kind of obsession with backward compatibility that made people willing to upgrade to Windows 95.
source: joelonsoftware.com/2000/05/24/strategy-letter-ii-chicken-and-egg-problems/

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2739#knownbugs

Says runs fine. There's plenty of youtube videos of FFXI being run on wine for years.

I don't know about XI, but XIV runs perfectly nearly out of the box with dxvk.

Writer is (roughly) on par with Word. Impress is not as good as PowerPoint. And calc is a pale imitation of Excel once you get into pivot tables and macros. Excel can essentially function as a database application if you want it to, and Calc is nowhere close in that respect and will choke on large xls files.

Jesus christ.

closed source: stuck working around the same bugs for 25 years that never go away and can never be fully and reliably fixed because of obscure binaries floating around
open source: just fix the fucking bug and recompile