Can a Raspberry Pi run Discord, YouTube, and Visual Studio?

Can a Raspberry Pi run Discord, YouTube, and Visual Studio?
Are there any ways to increase the processing power by say connecting a few Pi Zero’s? (I dunno how that works)
If a Pi cannot run all of these programs, that what is the smallest computer that will?

Attached: 28F2C76B-94B7-4F48-B437-9F59BE9A7168.jpg (420x308, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot-core/learn-about-hardware/socsandcustomboards
amazon.com/Intel-Compute-Computer-Processor-BOXSTK1AW32SC/dp/B01AZC4NHS/
adafruit.com/product/2885?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2fah65T74AIVioKzCh0hjwLkEAQYASABEgLm_vD_BwE
newegg.com/Embedded-Solutions/SubCategory/ID-446
eltechs.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What is the purpose of this?

probably
no
odroid xu4 is the same size
otherwise just get an intel nuc with an i3

People literally spend thousands of dollars to browse youtube and facebook (MBP). Do you really think a raspberry pi could do any of those things you're looking for?!

>Visual Studio
maybe? didn't microshaft release full w10 for raspberry pi

should run discord and youtube fine not sure about vs code, maybe look for a single board pc that has like an intlel atom. Latte panda might be god for your use. if you wanna drop the vs code part you're probably getter off getting some chink android tv box

Yes

Pic related or a Pi for my uses?
I just want a micro pocket desktop PC to take to work so I can talk to friends, watch YouTube, and practice code. (No I don’t want a laptop, or to use my phone. Basically for the meme, and it’d be cool)
That big? :(
Maybe? lol idk
So I’m not sure how clusters work, but adding another board doesn’t increase processing power?

yeah - windows 10 iot
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot-core/learn-about-hardware/socsandcustomboards

you can use a cluster like a traditional pc

cant*

But say for example if you had a Pi vs like 2 or 3 Pi’s, or Pi Zeros linked to it; how would that change the preformance?
(Please forgive my ignorance, I honestly don’t know.)

- a cluster will still have extremely limited power/thread
- and most important, a nuc would be the same size as your op's pic related
- check into odroid xu4, it can do all you need and is just the size of a raspi3

>micro pocket desktop PC to take to work so I can talk to friends, watch YouTube, and practice code
Since you don't want a laptop for some reason...
Why doesn't a NUC fit the bill? Going smaller than that you're getting into the really underpowered range, which would choke when trying to do all those things at once.

You could probably get by with one of these: amazon.com/Intel-Compute-Computer-Processor-BOXSTK1AW32SC/dp/B01AZC4NHS/
but the question remains: Why not get a used twinkpad or NUC?

Have you considered a laptop? There are ARM laptops nowadays if you're allergic to x86.

I mean if a NUC was closer to a Pi in price, then yeah, but by the time I spent that money, might as well invest in my normal desktop.
Idk that stick is pretty impressive though..

A board with a cherrytrail atom, or N4200 or better celeron would do the trick user, that's what the GPD Win 1 had, and its perfectly fine to use as a pocket PC. (Though the Win 2 is astronomically better)
You could look into getting the new GPD MicroPC. That seems tailored more to PC usage and programming on the fly. I think they added some ports to it to make up for the lack of power vs the Win 2.

Dope; ahanks user!! :D Maybe not a Pi, but basically Pi clones from what I can see. I’ll look into these deeper. (:

What is that in the pic?

use a tablet you retard

The series of small boards on top are Raspberry Pi Zero’s. Not sure what the main board is.
adafruit.com/product/2885?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2fah65T74AIVioKzCh0hjwLkEAQYASABEgLm_vD_BwE

I tried to install Kali on an old Chinese tablet my mom had, but the thing was so shit, it couldn’t even do that.

>pic
Why would anyone do that when they can get the same performance using 3 Pi3 boards

Honestly, you will have to wait for a good SBC with nvme support to exist.

The picture? Probably to teach clustering techniques and practice which is the point of the Pi boards.

Have no idea what either of those are. Explain?
You guys keep saying it increases preformance, but I’m confused; does this mean if you have more Pi’s clustered, I could run more than one program because they would share the processing load?

You need at least 8GB of RAM to be comfy with the computing you wish to do.

Sooo, why couldn’t I just take a single Pi, and somehow attach more ram?

Attached: AB1917B3-5ADC-4EC1-8866-552A783EA758.jpg (250x191, 5K)

Maybe one of newegg.com/Embedded-Solutions/SubCategory/ID-446
I think the run regular OS's the first combo deal was cheap but you would need more stuff.

I’m gonna get an ITX when the new Processors hit the market, but I mainly want a pocket PC for the meme.

A Pi is gonna be horrible for what you want because it has such little ram. I mean, you could definitely do each one individually but idk about all three. And don't even bother with clusters because those are for very specialized tasks and only wizards have the power of parallel processing.

Try ripcord

It'd be a bitch to take a pi to work every day. You'd have to hook it up to your monitor every time. Also shouldn't you be doing your work at work???

Ye if Netflix senses your machine is worth less than $1000 on the market it doesnt work.

More time than not I’m not busy. lol
Define specialized tasks

By clustering pi's you're essentially just adding cores to the CPU. This doesn't mean anything though if programs don't take advantage of parallel processing. Pic related.

Attached: IMG_20190311_183210.jpg (558x695, 98K)

Wtf is that?

By specialized tasks I mean that you have to make a program that will run in parallel in order for the computer to use the other CPUs. It's just like the pic in .

Kek this is funny. So how exactly does parallel processing work in simple terms?

So are you saying that it’s possible, but I’d have to write a special program to make all the slaves work in parallel?

Yeah, it might be possible. I'm not an expert on parallel computing but I tried learning about when I wanted to build a pi cluster of my own. I'm not gonna claim to have a solution so I'm gonna recommend that you google it. If you can connect up three pi's and somehow get one to process for YouTube, one for discord, and one for vscode, you'd be golden. Afaik there's no magic program that can divvy up the work but maybe I'm wrong.
Parallel processing would just be having the workers pick up a few more shovels lol. I don't know how hard it is to program in parallel but the last time I looked it up, it seemed like a bitch so I put off trying it.

same reason why i havent upgraded from my i3-3450.
i had an core2quad for years
i was able to get a hold of an i5-2400 about 4 years ago and i used that for 2 years until i upgraded the CPU to an i3-3450.
every time i wanted to upgrade from my core2quad computer i always looked into NUCs but they were never powerful enough. they are now powerful enough but they are way slower than a 500 desktop PC for the same price.
maybe when this computer dies i will invest in an NUC.

please avoid using or discussing proprietary software

op painfully underage kill yourself

Attached: 1457575616309.jpg (500x492, 90K)

modern languages make it pretty easy to parallelize code on one physical computer, you just call Parallel.ForEach() or similar.

Building a distributed cluster is still hard af.

I got memed into buying a orange pi pc plus how do I get hardware accelerated video in kodi/armbian?

By emulating x86? Literally never.

With a native ARM build? Totally!
Discord has a proprietary desktop app with no arm build, that's out. But in the browser, just like a netbook.
VS Code can be built from source, and supports ARM iirc, perfect! But if you ment the 10GiB monstrocity for building windows apps, forget it

What is a native ARM build?
Son of a bitch.. I really want to run some shit on the Pi for a meme. Imagine saying sone stupid shit like “Yeah bro, I’m running discord on my Pi cluster lololol (to me it’s funny)
Nice. ;)
Does anyone know if there’s a Pi clone that will be able to do everything I want?

>>Discord has a proprietary desktop app with no arm build, that's out.
couldn't you like take their JS and run it on arm electron

>Can a Raspberry Pi run Discord, YouTube, and Visual Studio?
Sure. The video transcoding kind of sucks though.
>Are there any ways to increase the processing power by say connecting a few Pi Zero’s?
Sort of, it's called clustering. Unless you're a scientist it probably won't prove particularly useful.
>If a Pi cannot run all of these programs, that what is the smallest computer that will?
If you just want to run desktop applications, get a NUC or similar.

>By emulating x86? Literally never.
eltechs.com/

>Discord
Kill yourself, normalfag.
>YouTube
In 480p.
>Visual Studio
Poo in the loo.
>Are there any ways to increase the processing power by say connecting a few Pi Zero’s?
No.
>If a Pi cannot run all of these programs, that what is the smallest computer that will?
LattePanda x86 SBC.

Attached: 1543477360010.jpg (512x512, 57K)

Yes in browser mode
Yes but slowly
No

do it, no balls

Cluster computing does not work as a single monolithic computer. It's really a bunch of computers on a network (in your pic, the board they're all connected to is the network). They share distributed workloads by having helper programs run on all of the nodes which can be given chunks of work from a master node, typically - though I am aware not all cluster software uses the master/slave architecture, just providing one simple clustering example.

For example, you could compile the Linux kernel for the Raspberry Pi pretty fast by using distcc (a distributed version of the GCC compiler) to distribute the work across that cluster in your pic - this is nice because you don't have to fuck with the asshattery of cross-compiling, but does require you to have your expensive (in the sense it's not good for much general work) ARM cluster, and ends up not being used by hobbyists as much as just simply living with the hell that is crosscompiling, because everyone's PC has drive space, RAM, and CPU power out the fucking wazoo these days.

So if you could describe what a cluster does in terms an 5 year old could understand?

Attached: F425B47C-F88A-4D56-A79F-707FECD3C1E0.png (641x481, 142K)

>Can a Raspberry Pi run Discord, YouTube, and Visual Studio?
Yes, but don't. Slowly dripping Tabasco in your eyes will get you almost the same painful experience for a fraction of the price of a shitty dust collecting Pi.

A cluster is a bunch of computers on a network that work together to complete chunks of a single job that can be broken down into parts that way. The processing work it takes to run a single software program like Chrome cannot be broken down that way, because the responsiveness of the experience would suffer too much for it (the latency of accessing parts of your software over the network, even if on a big solid interconnect, is just too high compared to between cores, cache, and RAM).

Ahh I think I understand now. So just out of curiosity now, would there be a way to make a “cluster-like” computer where one computer runs a program, and another runs another? Like think of them as being connected, but each works together to to do different tasks on a single screen. Or like say, when a computer is about to hit it’s limit, the other kicks in to open the other program.

Oof. Although I have an unhealthy obsession with these little single boards, I might just give in and buy a shitty old ass laptop for a fraction of the price of a Pi or Pi alternative. Either that or I could be a fag and build a cyber deck.. orrr maybe get a decent tablet and install kali... nah not a tablet.

Yes. Youtube is not program you fucking idiot. No.
What is cluster.

It would be better to get a bottom range NYC like a j5005.
That has about the same performance as a q6600.