Is this the true successor to the subbook form factor?

Is this the true successor to the subbook form factor?

Attached: Microsoft-Surface-Go-Featured-image.jpg (1280x720, 180K)

Yes, it's the brand new "cuckbook" form factor.

care to expand on that insightful comment?

>needs a table to support it
seriously why does microshit keep pushing this garbage

No. this is.

Attached: 1521677433680.png (1000x1230, 733K)

where can you even buy this

>it seems to be a design that seems to be a Let's Note as soon as the viewer sees it
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Not him, buy something expensive. Overheats and gets throttled the fuck out. Might as well buy a ifag pad.

I have one for graphic design

>Overpriced
>Underpowered
>Throttles to shit
>Too little RAM to do anything useful
>Needs a table to support it
>Doesn't even include a keyboard
>Can't repair it

Worse than Apple

no, this is

Attached: screenie.jpg (2880x1800, 1.11M)

>had surface pro 3
>overheated with just a couple of chrome tabs open
>let it sit for a minute
>come back and pick it up
>screen cracked
>the touchscreen is broken, so the only good thing about it is gone
>poojeets at ms don't even want to bother trying to repair it, so they just ask me if I want to pay to replace it

Screen has broken twice on mine.
First time the entire glass cracked with just a tiny drop
Second time there's now a finger sized area of dead pixels on the left side of the screen.

Tablets should be tablets and laptops should be laptops. Companies should stop trying to merge them.
That said, I think the tablet form factor is the way to go heading forward. Just a really big slab of screen accompanied by a flap attached magnetically with a microfiber lining, divided in three sections, and MAYBE an electronic stylus, if you need it. That's the future.
Apple, Google and Microsoft are fucking up royally by adding physical keyboards to tablets, and any company that designs or manufactures laptops with 360-degree hinges should have their headquarters gassed with the employees inside.

Microsofts on screen keyboard sucks ass.

>That said, I think the tablet form factor is the way to go heading forward.
But there's no point. Phones are superior for convenience, laptops and convertibles are superior for usability. The modern tablet is the worst of all worlds except having a nice big screen for older people with degenerating eyesight.

she looks like a tranny hag

Shit this is fucking beautiful

Strongly disagree here. The tablet is essentially the laptop but with the bottom half lopped off. Just as powerful but even more compact and flexible. The laptop is a relic of the past that refuses to die off because of the software that's been developed for it, but if only engineers would develop equally-powerful software for tablets, I think people would migrate from laptops to tablets in droves.
It's the same thing, just smaller and more portable. There's a lot of potential in the simple rectangle.

Sucks to be a Microshill, I guess. :^)

>Tablets should be tablets and laptops should be laptops. Companies should stop trying to merge them.
I disagree. Tablets on their own are useless. 2-in-1s are great. You get a computer and you get a drawing tool and a few touch gestures.

>The modern tablet is the worst of all worlds except having a nice big screen for older people with degenerating eyesight.
There are lots of things I wouldn't want to do on either a laptop or a phone. Reading and drawing, for example. They can be done on both, but it's really not optimal on anything other than a tablet.

font is grody

>Tablets on their own are useless.
How so? A tablet is essentially a laptop without the keyboard.
The "keyboard" is just an instance of software that can morph into whatever you want it to be. It can be a trackpad, it can split in half for thumb typing, it makes it easier to input special characters (not just emoji, but also obscure unicode characters), etc. You can't physically press the keys, but I think that's a fine trade-off considering all the benefits of a software keyboard.
Outside of the keyboard, it's basically the same thing. Apps take up the full screen, yes, but most people keep windows maximized anyway. And with the way most OS UIs are designed nowadays, switching between apps is just as fast as alt-tabbing between windows.
Instead of having a cursor, you just have your fingers, which imo makes navigation a lot faster because instead of having to move the mouse to where you want and then click, you just tap whatever you see. If you want added accuracy, you can use a stylus, but otherwise, fingers suffice.
Again, I think the tablet form factor has real potential in usability; it's the software that's the issue. No one is developing good software for tablets because no one cares.

If it runs a real OS, like Linux or Windows, it can be useful because you have a modicum of control over it.
If it runs Android or iOS? Why bother.

>If it runs Android or iOS? Why bother.
Because those OSes can develop into something better over time whereas "real" OSes are essentially legacy software built with older hardware in mind.
iOS is already making pretty big leaps in UI design and navigation efficacy on the iPad. Don't know why Google has completely given up on Android for tablets. I think tablets have the potential to surpass laptops in the future with the right motivation, but laptops have mostly hit a progressive impasse.

I think Microsoft will figure it out eventually. They have fantastic keyboard management already, and Windows Phone was nice. I think they accidentally stumbled upon gold with their Surface lineup, even if they end up getting surpassed by other 2-in-1s. Having a decent UI for both tabletting and KB+mouse computing and real software (office suites, CAD, Photoshop, etc.) and decent control of it will be the winner for general purpose computing I think.
iOS has a tolerable UI but you can't control what software you have on it without Apple's blessing. It's good for business people to track customers and other repetitive tasks.
Linux will just allow you to copy some combination of MS and iOS to your liking assuming you're patient enough to configure it.
Android is garbage. I know how it persists, and my phone runs Android, but I don't understand how anyone can actually be a fan of it.

Power's not a problem, nor has it been in years. The problem is touch screens, which have always and will continue to be worthless for anything other than consumption.
>The laptop is a relic of the past that refuses to die off because of the software that's been developed for it
You mean actual software that does something other than scroll through your Facebook feed? Yes, those do tend to rely on sane and usable input devices that a tablet can only emulate or provide in an utterly inferior and inconvenient way. What a reach. Are you a shill or something?
That's great and all, but now let's think about everything else beyond those two very specific niches. For the vast majority of productive tasks beyond drawing with a pen, a laptop-sized device that you can't use without a big table to stabilize it is just fucking silly. There's no purpose for it when you can have something proper in the same form factor. Likewise, for casual web surfing, text messaging or e-mail, tablets are just plain cumbersome. They're unexpandable, unupgradable, all-around disposable pieces of trash that either run a toy operating system or a desktop operating system that sucks to use on them.

Tablets will always have a place, but they are not the future of actual computing.

>Because those OSes can develop into something better over time whereas "real" OSes are essentially legacy software built with older hardware in mind.
They're literally the same shit built around a more toy-friendly interface, you retarded shill.

>no trackpoint
Belongs to the trash

If it had a trackpoint it would be literally perfect.

>a laptop-sized device that you can't use without a big table to stabilize it is just fucking silly.
You can use a laptop-sized tablet on your lap without it wobbling, and very comfortably in fact. You don't need a table for it.

>You mean actual software that does something other than scroll through your Facebook feed?
You're misunderstanding my point entirely. Good software can certainly exist on tablets, without the need for keyboards and mice. I'm focusing more on the physical design here, I'm starting to think that the separation that laptops provide between input and output is no longer really necessary.
>Yes, those do tend to rely on sane and usable input devices
In what way are completely inflexible input devices that are slower and less efficient to use in nearly every way (i.e. mouse) and that are constantly there regardless of whether or not you actually need them the 'sane' option here?
>that a tablet can only emulate or provide in an utterly inferior and inconvenient way.
I really think that your use of "utterly inferior" boils down mostly to opinion. A software keyboard, for example, isn't as texturally satisfying as a mechanical keyboard, yes, but considering the advantages it offers over a physical keyboard, the trade-off of lack of tactile output is a necessary one.

The truth is that gestures are just as fast and reliable as keyboard shortcuts, and good software can in fact be developed with a touch-sensitive display in mind. There's little need to remain stuck on the laptop design any longer as long as developers shift focus to the software experience on tablets.

>for casual web surfing, text messaging or e-mail, tablets are just plain cumbersome.
I dunno about you but shitposting on a tablet is pretty great. Most tablets, be they from Apple, Microsoft, Google or otherwise, allow you to do all three of those things at once very comfortably, much more comfortably than on a smartphone. However, yes, tablets would be cumbersome to rely on entirely for those tasks; that's literally the whole reason smartphones exist. The same could be applied to laptops.
>They're unexpandable, unupgradable, all-around disposable pieces of trash
Overly dramatic. And that's too broad a blanket statement to make about all tablets, they're all different. Some actually are expandable.
>that either run a toy operating system or a desktop operating system that sucks to use on them.
Software can change and adapt over time. I'm not really focused on where things currently are as much as where they could be in the future. I'm focused more on capacity and potential than current status. You're right, most tablets don't offer a great software experience, but that's obviously subject to change. I think iPad is currently closest to creating a genuinely comfortable computing experience in terms of interface, but it's limitations are frustrating. Windows, however, would have to undergo significant design changes to work comfortably for tablets sans keyboards/mice.

>y processors

Attached: D919AC31-7889-4835-9BF8-67F14D1B94E6.jpg (1024x1024, 84K)

I should have mentioned for that particular example I was more talking about the Surface's design in particular when used with a keyboard. Of course you could lay it flat on your lap at a shitty angle, but yeah, been there done that, never anything I would ever seek out unless I just wanted to read news or blog articles.
>I'm focusing more on the physical design here, I'm starting to think that the separation that laptops provide between input and output is no longer really necessary.
Then I just don't really think you do much input to begin with.
>In what way are completely inflexible input devices that are slower and less efficient to use in nearly every way (i.e. mouse) and that are constantly there regardless of whether or not you actually need them the 'sane' option here?
I feel like I'm reading a script for one of those late night cooking utensil infomercials about old people who can't fry eggs without burning the house down. What's "inflexible" or "inefficient" about a mouse compared to flailing your arms around hitting oversized touch controls all over the screen? What then do you have to say about the lost screen real estate to software input, or the bulkier and more wasteful interfaces that come with accommodating capacative touch? Come on, if we're trying to appeal to efficiency, tablets and smartphones are the very last example you want to bring up. Being unable to use something yourself does not mean it's actually inferior, especially when compared to some wasteful nothing of a software keyboard that needs a gigabyte's worth of predictive typing algorithms just to make it functional because muscle memory is much less effective without tactile feedback and the natural awkwardity of using a tablet to begin with.

>I should have mentioned for that particular example I was more talking about the Surface's design in particular when used with a keyboard.
That's still pretty stable.
>Of course you could lay it flat on your lap at a shitty angle,
I wasn't thinking completely flat, more at that 'typing' angle that you'd get from propping it up with a smart cover, or with the kickstand put really low.
>but yeah, been there done that, never anything I would ever seek out unless I just wanted to read news or blog articles.
I don't know, I think it's pretty comfortable. Regardless of whether you're using a laptop or tablet on your lap, your head is generally going to be angled at the same position, and your hands are going to be at relatively similar places, so the only real difference is where your eyes are going to be focused.

(continued)
>A software keyboard, for example, isn't as texturally satisfying as a mechanical keyboard, yes, but considering the advantages it offers over a physical keyboard, the trade-off of lack of tactile output is a necessary one.
And what advantages are those? A few millimeters of thickness that don't matter? A trendier appearance? A feeling of novelty? We've been fucking around with touch and touch-like input methods for almost as long as computers have existed, before the mouse was even so much as a napkin scribble, and every time we've found out that it's inferior in just about every way imaginable.
>The truth is that gestures are just as fast and reliable as keyboard shortcuts, and good software can in fact be developed with a touch-sensitive display in mind.
They really aren't, but there's more to a proper keyboard than obscure shortcuts. Muscle memory and minimizing travel are all quite important things that tablets will never be good at doing.
I've never enjoyed using any of my tablets for any kind of prolonged typing, I actually find them even more infuriating than smartphones, at least they have a convenience advantage that a tablet has never really had. I can always fit a proper laptop in the same space.
>You're right, most tablets don't offer a great software experience, but that's obviously subject to change.
There's always room for improvement, but an exclusively capacative touch device will always be hampered by design. Too much waste and pandering to missteps and fat fingers.
>I wasn't thinking completely flat, more at that 'typing' angle that you'd get from propping it up with a smart cover, or with the kickstand put really low.
So was I, it's not very usable at all. It feels like using an old laptop from the 80s with a tiny hilariously wide screen and an even shittier keyboard, and I have to move my arms and hands around more to perform simple tasks than I do with a standard keyboard and mouse.

Attached: 2250-ad.gif (853x807, 749K)

>What's "inflexible" or "inefficient" about a mouse compared to flailing your arms around hitting oversized touch controls all over the screen?
The mouse is less efficient than direct touch input because you have to move the cursor before selecting. Tapping is literally the same thing, but with a step removed. It enables you to navigate faster. A physical keyboard is inflexible compared to a software one for obvious reasons; it's stuck in a certain shape that can't really change much depending on the user's needs. You can't, for example, switch character languages or layouts instantly and without much fuss on a physical keyboard.
Pixels on a screen tend to be more flexible than physical objects, that shouldn't be too surprising.
> What then do you have to say about the lost screen real estate to software input,
Not an issue. You can hide the keyboard whenever you see fit, and see the contents of the entire screen that way. And even while typing, if the tablet is designed with the right size and aspect ratio in mind, you can still see paragraphs of text at a time, which doesn't feel very limiting.
>or the bulkier and more wasteful interfaces that come with accommodating capacative touch?
That's subjective and typically a result of bad design. An app like Procreate can do everything Photoshop can do relating to drawing and graphic design, but Procreate's interface is a lot more minimalistic while Photoshop vomits millions of tiny windows and menus in your direction. It's all about how the developers decide to convey and execute these sorts of design metaphors.

>Come on, if we're trying to appeal to efficiency, tablets and smartphones are the very last example you want to bring up.
Context matters here. The reason we don't just use one singular device for everything is because separate devices are designed with specialized tasks in mind. I just think that tablets have the potential to become great all-around computing devices and that laptops have pretty much reached their full potential so far.
>Being unable to use something yourself does not mean it's actually inferior, especially when compared to some wasteful nothing of a software keyboard that needs a gigabyte's worth of predictive typing algorithms just to make it functional because muscle memory is much less effective without tactile feedback and the natural awkwardity of using a tablet to begin with.
This is just a personal anecdote, but I often find that my muscle memory with typing is just fine without being able to feel the keys. I make very few mistakes typing on a screen, and my average typing speed (~80 wpm) doesn't actually differ much between physical and virtual keys. I don't really know if the average user cares about more than that.
>And what advantages are those?
The power of a laptop, except the laptop is broken in half and you only have to deal with the screen. The same amount of power in a much smaller footprint. Also, added flexibility and efficacy.
>A few millimeters of thickness that don't matter? A trendier appearance? A feeling of novelty? We've been fucking around with touch and touch-like input methods for almost as long as computers have existed, before the mouse was even so much as a napkin scribble, and every time we've found out that it's inferior in just about every way imaginable.
Overly dramatic statements, again. Touch input is by no means "inferior in just about every way imaginable," even if it is worse in some respects.

love how they show these wires neatly connected to the machine when in reality they're all over the place or hanging off the desk tugging the computer back and forth

>The mouse is less efficient than direct touch input because you have to move the cursor before selecting. Tapping is literally the same thing, but with a step removed.
In both cases you're still moving a pointer to an object and clicking, but with tapping you're doing it with your entire hand or arm, rather than just moving your index finger around on a small pad or pushing on a pointing stick. There's far less effort involved in using a mouse, especially if you're using the device in an upright position on a desk or table. Likewise, it's a much better option in more cramped surroundings.
>A physical keyboard is inflexible compared to a software one for obvious reasons; it's stuck in a certain shape that can't really change much depending on the user's needs. You can't, for example, switch character languages or layouts instantly and without much fuss on a physical keyboard.
But who actually needs that kind of flexibility to the point that it justifies the sacrifices? International layouts are all pretty much the same basic form with maybe a few extra or omitted keys. I regularly switch between English, Swedish, Norwegian and Lithuanian layouts in my own use case. It's quite trivial. Even non-Roman systems are geared around a standard QWERTY layout.
>Not an issue. You can hide the keyboard whenever you see fit, and see the contents of the entire screen that way.
Or with a proper keyboard, I can just see my entire screen, keep my hands where they belong and not have to worry about managing things at all. I've used a tablet before, dude, it's shit for that kind of work unless you've literally used nothing else. Given the current state of Jow Forums, I guess I wouldn't be very surprised if that was the case.
>That's subjective and typically a result of bad design.
I've never seen anything with good design, then. At this point I'm convinced that it doesn't exist.

The 12" SV8 should have a similar trackpad and it would be perfect, that circular one is fucking garbage.

>I've never enjoyed using any of my tablets for any kind of prolonged typing,
Not really sure what to tell you there. That's just a matter of personal opinion. Maybe you've been using the wrong tablets. I don't know. I haven't had the same experience.
>I actually find them even more infuriating than smartphones, at least they have a convenience advantage that a tablet has never really had.
Again, those things are really built for different use cases. Smartphones are tiny, but you're reduced to typing on a flat surface with just your thumbs, which I think is objectively worse than typing on a flat surface with all of your fingers. They're just not built for the same thing. You wouldn't whip out a tablet just to answer a text, nor would you a laptop, but if you're already using it and you find yourself needing to respond, both are suitable for response.
>but an exclusively capacative touch device will always be hampered by design. Too much waste and pandering to missteps and fat fingers.
I strongly disagree there. We've seen touch-based user interfaces that aren't wasteful at all. I guess it's just a fundamental difference between you and I.
>So was I, it's not very usable at all. It feels like using an old laptop from the 80s with a tiny hilariously wide screen and an even shittier keyboard, and I have to move my arms and hands around more to perform simple tasks than I do with a standard keyboard and mouse.
You do have to move your arms around a bit more, but you're also traded the benefit of doing things just a bit faster. I think that's OK.
I find it generally more comfortable, but again, that's just a matter of opinion.

>I just think that tablets have the potential to become great all-around computing devices and that laptops have pretty much reached their full potential so far.
Laptops very much have reached their full potential, I just really have a hard time seeing why cutting one in half and replacing the missing parts with an inferior alternative somehow means they're on their way out. Tablets will always be great for casual use, but not for anything serious.
>This is just a personal anecdote, but I often find that my muscle memory with typing is just fine without being able to feel the keys.
I don't have much trouble typing quickly either, but it's much easier to start typing and find that your hands are misaligned, or just the general frustration and breaking of flow/focus that come with predictive typing algorithms that completely fuck up technical jargon and anything else that isn't a standard dictionary word.
>The power of a laptop, except the laptop is broken in half and you only have to deal with the screen.
>The same amount of power in a much smaller footprint. Also, added flexibility and efficacy.
But it's not a smaller footprint. It's still just as big as a laptop of equivalent screen size, it's just a handful of millimeters thinner, which amounts to pretty much nothing in actual use. It's still going to hog your airplane tray table in the same way, it's still going to need the same size carrying case or bag, it's still going to occupy the same effective amount of space as any laptop with the same screen size, perhaps even more in some cases.
>Touch input is by no means "inferior in just about every way imaginable," even if it is worse in some respects.
It absolutely is. I'm really convinced you either don't really pay attention to how you use your device, or you don't use it for much beyond basic web surfing, email and occasional documents like most other tablet users.

>In both cases you're still moving a pointer to an object and clicking, but with tapping you're doing it with your entire hand or arm, rather than just moving your index finger around on a small pad or pushing on a pointing stick.
I don't like the feeling of being restricted to a tiny pad that corresponds to what I see on a different surface. I don't like the idea of not being able to touch multiple things simultaneously. I don't like the idea of constantly running to the edge of the pad and having to start over just to move across the screen. I think neither of those things are really applicable to what one would describe as an efficient experience.
Also, you have to move your entire arm or hand to operate a mouse, too. Touching a screen is just using a mouse but with added benefits.
>But who actually needs that kind of flexibility to the point that it justifies the sacrifices?
That's a worringly common thing people say. "Who actually needs that?" It's just nice to have, very few people actually NEED electronics at all. The sacrifices are small and few enough to be outweighed by the benefits, in my opinion.
>International layouts are all pretty much the same basic form with maybe a few extra or omitted keys. I regularly switch between English, Swedish, Norwegian and Lithuanian layouts in my own use case.
Those are all languages that use the phoenician alphabet, not exactly what I had in mind. I was thinking more like English to, say, Japanese. You're right, it is trivial, but still, it's just nice to be able to switch quickly, no?
>Or with a proper keyboard, I can just see my entire screen, keep my hands where they belong and not have to worry about managing things at all.
Yeah, but then you end up using a larger and more cumbersome device with peripherals that are a constant.

>Not really sure what to tell you there. That's just a matter of personal opinion. Maybe you've been using the wrong tablets. I don't know. I haven't had the same experience.
iOS, Android, Windows XP TPCE, 8, 10, webOS, the BlackBerry PlayBook, I've used pretty much all of them. Always the same disappointment.
>Again, those things are really built for different use cases.
I've rarely seen a tablet used as anything other than a larger smartphone. They have pretty much the same stifling limitations even if the tablet has some advantages just as the smartphone does for different tasks.
>We've seen touch-based user interfaces that aren't wasteful at all. I guess it's just a fundamental difference between you and I.
They existed once, but then the capacative revolution shit all over everything, and I don't really think there's any way to fix it.
>You do have to move your arms around a bit more, but you're also traded the benefit of doing things just a bit faster.
I've never noticed a tangible difference in speed, except with a touch solution I get fatigued much faster or simply don't find it as pleasing. Keyboards and mice keep your hands and arms flat, mostly stationary and close to where they need to be, not to mention the general flow of working with dedicated directional, pgup/pgdn and home/end keys that always are much better than swiping or scrubbing around with a tiny scroll bar. It's just a bunch of unnecessary motion, and even if it is slightly faster, it's not noticeable enough to actually make a difference. A good interface is more than just doing something that was already fast slightly faster.

It's getting late, I'm going to bed after this post.

>I just really have a hard time seeing why cutting one in half and replacing the missing parts with an inferior alternative somehow means they're on their way out.
I think we're essentially disagreeing on whether or not the alternatives are inferior, which I think they aren't.
>I don't have much trouble typing quickly either, but it's much easier to start typing and find that your hands are misaligned, or just the general frustration and breaking of flow/focus that come with predictive typing algorithms that completely fuck up technical jargon and anything else that isn't a standard dictionary word.
I haven't had the misalignment issue so far but you can deactivate text correction if it's that much of an issue for you.
>But it's not a smaller footprint. It's still just as big as a laptop of equivalent screen size, it's just a handful of millimeters thinner, which amounts to pretty much nothing in actual use.
You're talking about when the laptop is closed, I'm thinking more of when it's open. Compare it to a tablet - when watching a video on a tablet propped up to face you, the amount of desk space being taken up is significantly smaller, whereas the laptop sustains the keys and mouse for no reason. The same goes for actively using the thing - on a laptop, you've got the base accompanied by a screen sticking up and creating a barrier between you and everything else, but a tablet consists only of the base. It's the same size when not in use, but smaller during use. It makes a difference.
(cont)

>It absolutely is. I'm really convinced you either don't really pay attention to how you use your device, or you don't use it for much beyond basic web surfing, email and occasional documents like most other tablet users.
Unnecessary personal insult disguised as a legitimate response. If touch interfaces are really that bad in all use cases, no one would use them. Smartphones would still look like Blackberries, Surfaces and other tablets just wouldn't sell, and touch screens would be rare in most devices. Maybe you're just too rigid in your ways. Maybe the problem isn't the technology, maybe it's you.

It feels to me like you have some disconnect between your hand and the cursor that I've just never had, and also seem to have used a pretty low sensitivity in the past. I don't really have to move my arm at all with the mouse I have, nor do I have much trouble with touch pads for similar reasons.
>You're right, it is trivial, but still, it's just nice to be able to switch quickly, no?
Sure, there are plenty of potential use cases for dynamic input, but it really just doesn't outweigh what you lose. In the future that can change, but for now it won't. Japanese was probably the most visible thing I considered myself to that end as well, but there are already many widely used solutions for Japanese input that work with a typical US/international keyboard. It just takes some getting used to, but once you're used to it you're fine and in many cases one might wonder why they took on all of the other baggage that came with the switch when they didn't really need the dynamic labeling anymore.
>That's a worringly common thing people say. "Who actually needs that?"
I agree, but it's a legitimate question sometimes. Since we're not talking about simply adding some extra functionality that's nice to have, but trading two entirely different paradigms with their own benefits and detriments.
>Yeah, but then you end up using a larger and more cumbersome device with peripherals that are a constant.
The only time I've ever considered a laptop truly more cumbersome is the airplane scenario where fully opening the screen can sometimes be difficult with seats being the way they are, but in most other cases where there's tons of open air above your device, the couple millimeters you shaved off by getting rid of the mouse and keyboard don't really mean much. My tablets with adjustable cases always end up being much worse to use in a car or bus, for example.

Sorry man, but I just can't see you having these opinions after trying lots of remote work, development, serious document/data processing or really a lot of the more "productive" things people tend to do on laptops and desktops that I'm usually trying to force onto my tablets. But maybe you also have and have found the sacrifices acceptable in your own case, you seem to have challenges with traditional input methods that I've never really had.
>If touch interfaces are really that bad in all use cases, no one would use them.
They're bad, but good enough, and for a basic consumption-oriented use case that works. Same goes for phones. We don't have Blackberry-like devices anymore because the input experience is terrible no matter what on a device that small, so they figured it would be better to throw the keyboard space at more screen and save money.

I'm not really trying to deny that tablets have no place or demand, but I don't really buy into or welcome the idea of them surpassing and replacing laptops entirely.

>I'm going to bed after this post.
Me too. I don't think we changed either person's mind really but it was nice. If tablets work for you that's fine by me.
>I think we're essentially disagreeing on whether or not the alternatives are inferior, which I think they aren't.
We have different expectations of our devices and different histories with the various options, all wrapped up in views and opinions that are difficult to articulate. The usual shit.
>I haven't had the misalignment issue so far but you can deactivate text correction if it's that much of an issue for you.
Tried it, it just makes for more headaches trying to hunt for otherwise commonly corrected typos. It's pretty much necessary.
>Compare it to a tablet - when watching a video on a tablet propped up to face you, the amount of desk space being taken up is significantly smaller
It doesn't make much difference to me because that small amount of space saved by dropping the mouse and keyboard still isn't going to be used for anything, it's not the same thing as say replacing your old CRT with an LCD on your desktop system. You've just got slightly more empty air, maybe you can put a notebook there or something if you're watching videos you want to write down things from, or a reference document or something, but in the latter case especially I don't think that convenience outweighs the inconvenience of having to hold up your arms to work with whatever you're doing. Sure, there's cases where you could fit an upright tablet into a tight space where a laptop just wouldn't work, but those are so few and far between and never the kind of place you'd be living for your everyday general computing.

I'm just gonna re-iterate what I already said to conclude on, a tablet totally has a place, but I can't see it as a general computing and productivity device with all this considered. At best we'll stick with 2-in-1s when it comes to adopting those technologies.

I hate touchscreen keyboards though. I type worse on them too.