Microcontroller thread

Microcontroller thread
Let's see what you microfags are making. Also post your favourite chips.
I'm learning to use am STM32 right now. No, I am not using STMCubeMX, not the HAL, no stdperiphlib, not even CMSIS. I am going hardcore and programming this fucker in pure arm assembler, because fuck the 50MB+ toolchain

Attached: IMG_20190304_163440~01.jpg (1075x1841, 682K)

Other urls found in this thread:

digikey.com/product-detail/en/iqd-frequency-products/LFRBXO059244BULK/1923-1563-ND/8633850
digikey.com/product-detail/en/sitime/SIT1552AI-JE-DCC-32.768E/1473-1318-2-ND/5725740
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Used a raspberry pi to emulate video games

For shame user

I get paid $115K/year to write programs for large computing clusters with hundreds of CPUs to churn terabytes of data.

Pls OP, get on my level.

What resources are you using to learn how to program the STM32? I am also keen on doing this.

asmcuck

Attached: images.png (290x174, 3K)

Datasheet + ARM ISA

proof?

I have a microbit project for a class. I'm going to try to setup a 60s kitchen timer. Could do more but it's not that big a project.

*60 second
Just realized that looks like 1960s.

>using assembly language
>not using an FPGA to write your programs in machine code for your custom CPU and instruction set
stay basic

I use a couple pro micros in my keyboard

Attached: Optimized-IMG_20190301_150248485.jpg (1200x900, 763K)

How did you get/make this?

do CLPDs count?
I got some Altera Max 2 for free.
used one to make a binary clock with a dcf77 module
I'm not very good at this shit tho

An usb hub for Android devices. It might end looking like the g phone, but it will be the ultimate dongle for my usage.

Made some touch enabled heat pillows with esps that both heat up when one is pressed. Sending it to a friend across the pond in a diy trade. Kinda silly but a fun novelty.

Ordered some attinys from China, so I can make smaller stuff.

Attached: IMG_20190309_192653_453.jpg (1280x720, 237K)

is avr development dead?

Attached: 18443884_1288979637890380_4283850666507501568_n.jpg (1080x1350, 92K)

So I need a microcontroller that can function as a USB sound card and drive multiple independent audio outputs(like 7.1 but my goal is going to be a bit different) and perform a lot of dsp, what should I pick? Bonus points if it has Bluetooth with aptx.

It sure ought to be, not completely though, due to Arduino and all...

Get an FPGA Dev board with USB. With a MCU, you're going to need a lot of ICs and have a lot of headaches

The goal is to have a dsp-powered active crossover. Will I need a dac + amp for each output or is there a more efficient way? And if there isn't, how do I interface with all those? GPIO?

Yeah, you'll need a DAC for each output. Keep in mind if you get a 7.1 soundcard, you can probably do this all in software, depending on what you're doing.
I think it would make the most sense to just handle the signals and connect it to a dedicated amp with enough channels. You might be able to find a dev board with built in DACs. With an FPGA, you can write various modules to read/write to USB, process the audio, then output to the pins/DACs (like with an Arduino). The beauty of using an FPGA for this is all these steps can happen simultaneously. Then you'd probably want a soft core to handle the USB stuff (like microblaze or something). Beware, if you're a noob, there's a TON to learn before you can accomplish anything.

After a bit of googling miniDSP products do exactly what I need, there are even multiple options. Thanks anyway.

Far from it, most hobbyists still prefer AVR chips because how simple and straightforward they are to use. The 32 bit ARM micros are better in every single way, but they're not exactly easy to use, and they have a certain learning curve.
That's the reason the ARM platforms, despite being so powerful haven't been able to penetrate the hobbyists space

Are Microcontroller crystals accurate? I wanna make an alarmclock as an excercise but it seams that Arduinos are off by a few seconds per hour. Is there a way to correct for this or are there more accurate clocks?

fun until it bursts into flames as your weeaboo virgin friend is balls deep in his body pillow

External crystals are the best way to have more accurate timekeeping. Internal oscillators cannot be trusted for anything.
Even if you buy expensive crystals with low drift, they will still be unusably inaccurate. The best way is to have a temperature sensor on your board and write an algorithm that'll fix your drift depending on the temperature. You can find the temperature-cycle drift value on your crystal's datasheet

Jesus all that shit for a fucking clock?
Does that mean shitty cheap digital watches have temperature sensors?
Also do I really need that for a device that is at room temperature almost all the time anyway?

Mains power can be used as a fairly accurate clock, albeit with a big jitter - it gets adjusted specifically for this purpose. I don't know if it's possible to utilize from a microcontroller though.

I want it to be battery powered, but nice idea

Here, get this.
It will keep your time very accurately.

digikey.com/product-detail/en/iqd-frequency-products/LFRBXO059244BULK/1923-1563-ND/8633850

Thanks, but that thing needs 12V apparently, I just want mine to be powered by 2 AA (3V).
Also this really isn't much better than just an RTC module

Buck converter would give you 12v.
It's also $2k, because it's a fucking atomic clock. I was just memeing you.

digikey.com/product-detail/en/sitime/SIT1552AI-JE-DCC-32.768E/1473-1318-2-ND/5725740
is what you actually would want. That should give only about ~4 min of drift over an entire year.

If you want to get really fancy, you can attach a little radio receiver and have it automatically sync to
WWV if you're in the US or DCF77 if you're in yurop.

This is the board I usually use, infineon XMC4700. The thing has more IO than I will ever reasonably need, it's awesome. Great little guinea pig for my RTOS.

Attached: 20190312_070935.jpg (3264x2448, 2.89M)

For alarm clocks external 32,768Hz clocks are often used, which are better for counting real time than 16 MHz CPU clocks. I'd recommend you to not use Arduino, but a MSP430 or a ARM Cortex-M0 up to the task.
Or you can use Arduino but you need an external RTC.

Just use something with built-in wifi and update the time with an internet service. The other day my fish tanks automatically adjusted their light timers for DST and it was glorious.

Did you use an ESP? These little shits are gold but I don't have any interesting project to use them with yet.

I need the cheapest solution to do bluetooth, battery, charging and data through usb and a couple of io-s.
I'm having a hard time finding something like a power supply with data passthrough for micros.
Is there an all in one board for max $10, or a combination of boards that can do this?

Yeah I started with an ESP32 (which I accidentally fried) but if you only need wifi and don't need bluetooth just go with an ESP8266 instead, you can get them dirt cheap