Sup, foch. Does anybody understand cyber security things...

Sup, foch. Does anybody understand cyber security things ? Is telegram enough anonymous or its just russian kgb project ? Do you trust durov btw ?

Attached: 266818.jpg (1007x1024, 430K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vox.com/world/2017/6/30/15886506/terrorism-isis-telegram-social-media-russia-pavel-durov-twitter
independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-islamic-state-propaganda-telegram-offical-fake-cyberattacks-accounts-a8442936.html
counterextremism.com/terrorists-on-telegram
telegram.org/privacy#8-3-law-enforcement-authorities
techcrunch.com/2018/01/25/telegram-and-social-media-giants-spanked-in-uk-pms-davos-speech/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Instead of having China or the US look at what you're talking about you have Russia so I don't know if it's worse or better. But some terrorist groups have used telegram as a means of communication so it must not be that insecure.

I use telegram to talk with friends. They have some fun stickerpacks

The Russian government seems not to trust him, nor the US government, which makes me a little more confident.

Telegram clients are opensource, they don't have servers based in Russia, but only the secret chats use their encryption methods, something people often overlook. They've also never answered to government requests.

Also this, there's a channel called isiswatch that monitors and closes down public Isis related channels. Terrorist groups use it quite openly.

Ofc it's always better to consider some more security-specialized technology, like Tox, Signal or Riot. Or at least something more configurable and self-hosted like IRC or XMPP.
Telegram is secure only for secret chats, where the data is stored only on user's device. Everything else is stored on their servers and can be observed by three letter agencies.
Security drama with Russia only happened because government agency ordered for the secret chats data as well.
I like Telegram not for its security, but for its innovation. Telegram is miles ahead of other messengers. Instant View, more advanced bots, send-to-yourself favorites chat, unlimited small media storage and global search. It's not even just a messenger anymore. It is more of blogging platform, newsfeed and read-it-later service. And that's why people from Google+ rushed over to Telegram.
As for Durov himself, he is like anti-Musk. Musk sends rockets into space and shitposts all day, while Durov manages a shitposting service, but acts like it's a rocket science. He is really shady, especially lately and writes something only on purpose. And, in addition, he's quite a haxx0r larper.
But the most interesting thing is that Telegram Inc. is basically a successful non-profit organization. Like, most of the times your project becomes really successful, but you go full lizardman Zuckerberg, or you stay faithful to your ideas, but project just can't grow and remains a hobbyist thing at best. And Telegram is run on the money Durov got from selling VK to Mail.ru group. So that' why it is so powerful for bleeding-edge features, but still doesn't cater to anyone and doesn't have built-in ads. And it's just amazing. But don't forget that it is totally dependant on daddy Durov.

Telegram is as safe as WhatsApp, which means it really isn't.
Riot.im, Wire, Signal, PixArt/Conversations and Threema are significantly better.
Tox is better. Ring/Jami and Briar are better.

>Tox
Wasnt there that whole thing where they left security issues in the core because they just wanted to work on the ui?

>Is telegram enough anonymous
>requires your phone number
Does it really takes to be a cyber security expert to connect the two?

Still better than discord

Attached: 1515291749734.png (1200x800, 74K)

It's not anonymous. They store all your messages. Your phone number is linked to them.

Use IRC for group chats (on a server you control) and IRC+OTR for one-on-one messaging (doesn't have to be on a server you control).

Your own matrix server with encryption enabled > Signal > Telegram

Yes, Tox is a Jow Forums baby project but also a piece of shit

Seems to work fine for ISIS and other literal terrorists.

telegram does not even use propper encryption, it's just their own homebrewed protocol with no cryptographers involved. don't use it, it's basically russian whatsapp but even worse.

this
you could just googled it yourself, telegrams encryption isnt great, Signal protocol and every app that uses it (Whatsapp) are proven to be secure, but as Whatsapp is owned by the zuck i wouldnt trust it

meant the signal protocol is proven to be secure, not whatsapp

>you could just googled it yourself, telegrams encryption isnt great, Signal protocol and every app that uses it (Whatsapp) are proven to be secure, but as Whatsapp is owned by the zuck i wouldnt trust it
a major flaw for signal is that you have to use your phone number to register and also everyone using signal will see you using it too. also, they use AWS servers. personally, i use threema, wich is not open source but that's the only downside and it's audited and whitepapered.

>Seems to work fine for ISIS
[citation needed]
Propaganda outlets and recruitment is supposed to be widely available, it has nothing to do with security. Might as well say twitter works well for isis, because they publish their shit there and it stays up for a day.

ISIS was communicating via playstation 3 and facebook messenger.

I don't care at least they allow shota

vox.com/world/2017/6/30/15886506/terrorism-isis-telegram-social-media-russia-pavel-durov-twitter
independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-islamic-state-propaganda-telegram-offical-fake-cyberattacks-accounts-a8442936.html
counterextremism.com/terrorists-on-telegram
It's interesting how with all the supposed flaws and even a phone number none of the terrorist attacks were ever prevented. I understand that it's very possible to buy a burner number, but you can still be identified for buying it and nothing came of it in the case of literal criminals.

He asked if it was anonymous or secure, not if people in a third world country post beheading videos on there.

>personally, i use threema, wich is not open source but that's the only downside and it's audited and whitepapered.
>it's not trustworthy in the most basic criteria, but other than that it's pretty good guys

see you in prison, filthy pedo

>They've also never answered to government requests.
Bullshit, they now answer to government requests regarding terrorism. telegram.org/privacy#8-3-law-enforcement-authorities
Which ironically was the whole point of their standoff with Russian government, and he retaliated Russia is bad so they're not covered by this section of rules.
That only shows Durov is subject to flip-flop on Telegram policy whenever he feels like it and that obviously raises a flag.

Telegram isn't secure. In fact it's unencrypted out of the box and contains proprietary bits. Use Signal.

>he lives in a country where he can get sent to prison for a fucking drawing
lmaoing @ ur life

>He asked if it was anonymous or secure
Well, apparently it is. See .
techcrunch.com/2018/01/25/telegram-and-social-media-giants-spanked-in-uk-pms-davos-speech/
And it's not just beheading videos, read above. Even if someone was arrested, it was never because of security holes in Telegram's encryption algorithms or software. This is really puzzling considering that a phone number is required and they still got zilch.

The answer is in your articles, they've never used it for actual attack planning spare for alleged one time (according to Turkish government and I call bullshit on that one). They recruit people and spread propaganda videos.

See:
It's used for something else as well.

What's the best service for my GF and I to send nudes / videos back and forth to each other? That's all I really want.

You didn't read any of your articles.
"Something else" is usually reported by some shitholes needing an excuse to block it completely.

KGB was dissolved in 1991

>"Something else" is usually reported by some shitholes needing an excuse to block it completely.
Sure. What I want to say is - none of the people distributing were charged for anything because of Telegram specifically.

Who cares if it's secure, it's fun as fuck and isn't as cancer as Whatsapp.

It's somewhat fine now.

This
>Signal doesn't have an official app which doesn't rely on play services
>Signal website uses cloudflare which is a MITM and a privacy/security risk and literally kills anonymity
>You cannot register an account on their desktop app, forcing you to use a phone or android in a VM
>it's more convenient to make an anonymous email on tutanota or protonmail than getting a random phone number from a random online website and hoping it works and it doesn't have registration lock
Signal is shit if your end goal is privacy. Threema is unironically better despite being proprietary.

This is like saying http clearnet is safe because pedos are uploading CP on public internet and aren't penalized for it.

>he doesn't use his own telegram bots to encrypt his messages
what are you, fucking Jow Forumsay?

>telegram bots
How do these work anyway and what are they useful for?

It isn't secure if there is a single entity other than the recipient that can read your messages. That's the case with Telegram. It isn't anonymous if there's a single entity other than the recipient that knows your identity.

>Telegram's encryption algorithms or software
The encryption is between you and the server that stores your messages. There is no end-to-end encryption. Telegram is "secure" in the same way that using IRC over SSL and on a public network (without OTR or something) is. Maybe the NSA won't read your messages on there, but the server admin can freely read your messages if they feel like logging messages. Unlike Telegram, some public IRC networks do not claim to log messages. With Telegram, this is a "feature".

commit mutual suicide

You can essencially make anything automatic them and their bot. Games, integration with other sites, payments, etc. In fact, since I started using them, I do a bunch of things from there, like downloading and converting videos, use gmail, instagram, whatsapp, facebook and twitter from there, play shitty games I made with my only 3 friends, I can even access shit from my computer from far away and all of this is working under my own cryptography. It's just fucking awesome.

Any documentation on how to set some of these services up?

if you care about privacy, then don't trust durov. he sold his previous project, vkontakte, to the russian government. he might seem like a victim, the one who's pursued by the government. but in reality he's the jewiest fucking scumbag who only cares about money.

Attached: cute-kitten.jpg (958x1196, 189K)

>but in reality he's the jewiest fucking scumbag who only cares about money.
Not sure how, since Telegram operates off of a huge donation and doesn't need to profit for quite some time.

Still better than using fucking whatsapp or facebook shit

>It's interesting how with all the supposed flaws and even a phone number none of the terrorist attacks were ever prevented.
why should i risk it anyways when safe and more trustworthy alternatives are available?
i usually prefer OSS, but since it's peer reviewed, i'm fine with it. also, i get why they don't release the source code.

>why should i risk it anyways when safe and more trustworthy alternatives are available?
What's the point if almost no one uses anything besides Wharsapp, Viber, Messenger and Instagram?

spread awareness. it took me like two months to get the most important people i communicate privatly to switch to threema and they never looked back. your mentality is the reason people hesitate to switch away from the normie botnets. (you) can make the difference.

>your mentality is the reason people hesitate to switch away from the normie botnets
My mentality isn't the problem, theirs is. I guess the best I could do is to convince people to switch to Telegram because it's kind of well-known. Also, not all of Threema's components are open source.

normes don't care about OSS and in terms of privacy threema is still the best solution.
>can be used anonymously
>used by companies, universities and the swiss federal government
>traffic on servers is only stored on RAM
>can be used without gservices
>can be bought from the developers using crypto
>propper encryption
>literally no metadate leaking, not even the size of packages send can be used to get an idea of the content
>using their own independent infrastructure
>self-funded

He was ousted from CEO position of VKontakte after refusing to hand over the data of creators of Ukrainian Euromaidan public page. Why wouldn't he just hand it over and sit on his ass for the rest of his life doing jack shit leeching off biggest social network in Russia?

nah, I'd rather just find a good messaging service that supports sending pictures and videos and has acceptable privacy features