If You Could Change One Thing

If you could change one thing about the OS/favourite piece of software/essential tech you use, what would it be?

I still use Windows and Start is garbage:
>Start, clock, and the notifications (action centre) are in three places
>Start has a list of apps and then tiles, which are the same apps
>If I want the Start, I hit windows key
>If I want to check what day of the week the 23rd of the month is, I have to then close that and go to my clock
>To see basic notifications I have to use Action Centre which is crap
>It has all the quick settings liek wifi and bluttoth though which is handy
>But my wifi button also sits in my tray?

Here's what I'd change:
>Start Menu (which doesn't currently) would stretch to the top of the screen
>I'd put the time there I'd replace tiles with widgets like android
>I'd put my mini calendar you get from clicking the clock there too, as a widget
>I'd put the action centre there in the form of a notification widget.
>I'd put those neat quick menu buttons as mini tiles/in the left most column near the power and settings button
>I'd get rid of the tray next to clock which has stuff I never need like trackpad settings
>I'd move as much as I could into the start menu and still keep it clean
>It'd be like the pul down quick menu on Android
>kino

What would you change about your shit anons?

Attached: 584514-start-screen.png (1004x669, 581K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntupit.com/crossover-linux-an-ultimate-guide-to-run-windows-programs-and-games-on-linux/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Start
I wouldn't care at all if only microsoft pajeets where not too stupid too implement proper string-matching algorithms.
>muh indexing
I just can't believe this shit doesn't find substrings. HOLY FUCKING SHIT. I fucking hate these pajeets so much.

Attached: 1550168984432.jpg (1077x1053, 90K)

>where
>were
ahhhh, I should get some more coffee before returning back to shitposting. fuck it.

Release source

I wouldn't change anything about Windows 7's interface.

I don't have to ponder about what I would change, I just change it to work how I want when I want to because I use libre software.

Attached: 2019-03-12--1552393575_613x30_scrot.png (613x30, 2K)

>too
>to
you got more problems than you know user, lol. Thanks for the contribution user. Anything you would change about your favourite software or OS?

nice

patrician tastes. So sorry I ever upgraded to W10 and fell for the meme.

good for you user. I meant more about software you can't usually change. Like, I wish VLC had a 100% volume button as when I adjust the volume, it annoys me it always gos up to 102% when I reset it.

>you got more problems than you know user, lol.
Yeah, yeah, I got a bunch more pairs of words I mix up all the time if I'm a bit tired, or fully awake even.
>the fun of being ESL
fun
>Anything you would change about your favourite software or OS?
Told you already. A proper substring search for the start thingy. If I type torrent and you don't give me qbittorrent immediately, I'ma gonna be pissed.

yes, this annoys me too. I get exactly what I am searching for maybe 2/3rds of the time/

Change it back to Windows XP tier speed. Every application runs like shit.
>Delete spyware
>Delete adware
>Delete slurpware
>Delete updates
>Delete renabling services when I disable them.
In fact just fucking delete Windows 10 from history like Vista and make Windows XP run on modern hardware.

Lol faggots, I use Linux so whatever I want to change I can

Attached: 1546586602588.gif (543x533, 415K)

this. the interface and ui is the only noticeable imporvment and even then it aint all that good.

> I meant more about software you can't usually change. Like, I wish VLC...
But VLC is free and Open Source software, so you can also change it to function however you like.

Attached: 1497058396216.png (439x461, 13K)

Yeah, I use Linux in my GNU operating system and can change everything I want since I only use free software.

ok, so what do you usually change first wabout your os or a piece of software you download. IF I gave you a clean install today, what would you axe or alter first?

>Could
But I can.

I'd install GNOME, dash to dock and change the theme to Vimix-Dark with Numix Square icon theme, that is the pinnacle of computing

It was just an example user, it's just a fun thread about what we miss form our favourite software. If you only use FOSS then take the question as "what do you insist on changing about a favourite app".

>dash to dock
controversial. I like the most minimal interface I can, so I like how apps are all tucked away in gnome. but I don't like the spaces-thingy they use..

>cartoony icons
user, I.....

You can use alternative start menu, such as Labrys. It does check substrings and won't jump into file or internet search.

I like my interface to be as practical as can be, having quick launch icons is super convenient and doesn't look too bad if your icon theme is consistent

Also what icon theme would you recommend user?

I dunno, I get bored by icons alot but I prefer simple ones that aren't coloured like candy.

As I don't work in tech, I don't need linux for much beside shitposting, so I use Mint and stick with the default ones. They are mellow enough to be nice I think.

>labrys
not the user but I just googled it and that looks pretty fucking sexy.

Make i3 not have that fucking retarded "$mod" variable by default. It's literally the same amount of characters as Mod4

Just use Start10 ;)

that looks sexy, but I would like to see MS get off its ass and add their own real improvments that emulating old stuff. What are they fucking doing to make their billions? Is it Xbox? Is it that people don't know how to escape windows when they buy a new laptop?

>What are they fucking doing to make their billions?
Azure, support and selling in bulk to companies.
>Is it that people don't know how to escape windows when they buy a new laptop?
That's what keeps the market share high. But they do make money from pre-installs.

>Labrys
That user here. Doesn't convince me. I mean, I'm not even bothered by the official menu as is: you can shut off the internet search, and you can shut off those stupid tiles. Then, all I need is a proper search. And I just hate installing little thirdparty crap for os core functionality. What are the chances microsoft will fix this at some point?

I feel like Windows 7 is still a better OS. Anyone agree? I just never liked 10 and couldn't get used to it.

>>I'd put the time there I'd replace tiles with widgets like android
>he uses widgets on android
>he wants to use widgets on his computer
OH NO NO NO NO NONONONONONO
AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Attached: 1551887094580.jpg (700x700, 131K)

It's literally the same, and probably also better under the hood. Sure, settings, telemetry, corona, the shop and all that crap is terrible. But you turn it off and it's all good.
Quite frankly, if the os bothers you this much, something is wrong with you. I just switched recently, it took some time to clean the shit up, but after that? Smooth sailing. It doesn't get in my way. Not any more than win7 (or any of the lunixes) would anyways.

its less frustrating for sure. I just wish they would make it nicer looking like the UI from W10 and keep most of the layout. Why make setting and keep half the shit in control panel? Jesus MS.

>Why make setting and keep half the shit in control panel? Jesus MS.
I don't really understand either. It's a mess. But I'm not fucking around in there anyways once my box is set up, so whatever. It's not that big of a deal, unless you're fucking around with your system way too much (as opposed to doing actual work).

Everything about how 10 operates in terms of UE makes me want to die. Endless layers of superfluous shit that obfuscates any direct interaction so that some fat fuck with greasy cheeto fingers can push a fat fucking box that takes up an order of magnitude more real estate than it needs to. Literally designed for the dumbest fucking mouth-breathers on earth to be able to use.

Attached: windowsidiocracy.png (400x425, 300K)

lol not those desktop widgets from Vista nigga. The weather app right now auto dispalys temperature as you open the start menu. Theres nothing wrong with that. Also, who doesn't have a clock/weather widget on android?

If I could? I already change everything I want to because I use open source software

Windows 7, I wish you could fully disable the taskbar extended UI and those fields that display the full title of a task bar process when you hover over it. Those bug out occasionally and pop up even though I'm in a completely different window and my cursor is nowhere near the task bar.

Attached: fbaaef75-6c9a-4379-a955-b6d273a31f58.jpg (502x152, 41K)

sometimes you need to uninstall a program or something and you go to uninstall and controll panel pops up over the settings app? I know what you are saying, it isn't the end of the world like many people say, but over time it tests your patience.

lol this. didn't they discontinue Windows Phone? This was for a unified experience across desktop and tablet and phone. Now its gone, cant they get back to desktop again properly?

this

I would make it Windows 7 because 10 is a downgrade

/thread

that it would run flawless

>here is your problem
your using a botnet as your main os that taking more than a quarter of the start tab display to show you commercials
>heres the solution
start using a proper os who actually give the users choices changes and editing
you can start with:
1.debian
2.fedora
3.ubuntu
4.suse
5.centos
its taking something like a day or 2 to get used to the new desktop envirioment...
you dont even need to use the bash/terminal anymore...
If you want to run Adobe's software or games there are ways to do it too, and it's not such a headache as you might think..

I tried Ubuntu and wine for muh vidya a year or two ago and couldn't wrap my head around it. If you are tech literate, you might take for granted that the average user is fucking like a sheep with a computer.

how do you operate this primitive tool

Attached: XY.jpg (800x800, 22K)

>classic windows is bad and linux is good post
>propose to use fedora instead
kek

>2 days or so to get used to a new DE
I've been spoiled so much by i3 that I can't use anything else. It's literally painful trying to navigate Gnome. I know, I tried to stop using i3 for a week. I just can't.

with my well manicured 2D anime feet.

I barely know how to use modern Windows. My parents have a 13 year old HP that had Windows XP on it for nearly a decade before I upgraded it to 7. I used that until I bought a thinkpad for myself with 7.

My college uses Windows but I usually have a macbookpro or the thinkpad. If I have to use a computer in the library I just use the search bar to find any folders I need to go into.

>wine
try other alternatives like...
ubuntupit.com/crossover-linux-an-ultimate-guide-to-run-windows-programs-and-games-on-linux/

Keeping track of a simple article is not that difficult and it will save you a lot of the drawbacks you have now

how do yuou not understand windows tho like its not that hard to use azll you have to do is when you install it say you don't want the useless shit they give you.

i can give it a go, but usually I am an absolute pleb, hence why I use Windows and Steam to begin with. Any distro that makes sense to sue first?

ubuntu or fedora have the most user friendly GUI for my opinion at least,
you can start by download the iso of one of them and try yourself on vm...

I tried Ubuntu and Mint in a VM. Mint seemed a bit better for me. Is it kino for spastics like me?

Use whatever you want as long as it's a familiar distribution

ok thanks, I will look into it fren.

You're welcome fren
If you encounter errors do not hate me later ;)

haha I won't it's all part of the learning experience