/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Everything PHP

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: wedge.jpg (1280x720, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key
stackoverflow.com/questions/5450104/using-jquery-to-get-all-checked-checkboxes-with-a-certain-class-name
jsfiddle.net/qm57cokg/2/
jsfiddle.net/8dnef45v/
jsfiddle.net/dr0peykh/
jsfiddle.net/5qe1ycLj/
jsfiddle.net/4wv9hqt3/
jsfiddle.net/me19nwor/1/
jsfiddle.net/mfhrt6ej/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why is it so hard to create something that generates enough income for me to sustain myself?

I'm so tired of deving for someone else.

When did this become mainstream, it has 2 million fucking weekly npm downloads

Attached: 1242412142.png (1200x630, 143K)

Because everyone else wants to do this and you will want to charge more than a pajeet who has more experience and will work for 1/100th the price

I don't want to dev for other people. I want people to use what I make so I can get revenue.

A plataform that offers gathering content from many other popular platforms in the form of a feed/blog posts with the most updated content from them all filtered by interests. Oh wait, that's facebok and is dying.

where do i find webdevs who aren't complete garbage or who only want to work for some kind of meme startup?

>I want people to use what I make
>I don't want to dev for other people
You're always going to be your customer's bitch no matter what you do

>Oh wait, that's facebok and is dying
Only in Burgerland, like the whole Europe uses FB

Client wants me to add like 5 different translations of his whole WordPress website. Meaning 5 variations of each post and page and menu and button and string everywhere.
Making posts in another language should be as easy as making it with one.

How do I accomplish this? Is multisite a necessity? It seems some plugins manage this without multisite, but are those hackish? Anyone here done for WP? If so, what method and/or plugin did you use and/or recommend?
Pls help.

Attached: e1651b5e.jpg (548x513, 49K)

>Anyone here done for WP?
Meant to write:
Anyone here done this in WP?

Just add a google translate widget?

No?

I used one plugin that did the whole structure thing for you, providing the pages, you just had to translate them. I have no idea which plugin it was. CHeck wha's popular and used (not shilled). Good luck.

>Having a job with WordPress

What the fuck, this is like having a job in which you play with Legos, where do i sign up

Most of my jobs have been done with WP.
Actually, I'm currently in the process of switching from freelancing to a dayjob, and think I'm gonna apply for a WP dev position. Usually easy-tier and you'll always have work.

Pushing buttons all day is the most depressing job you can get. My advice is develop an out of WP marketable skill and move out of that hell.

>push buttons
>receive way more money than work that difficult should pay
>think it's depressing
wow, maybe you're retarded?

>Pushing buttons all day is the most depressing job you can get
1.) It really isn't
2.) >implying all jobs done through a kb are depressing
3.) the fuck are you doing in Jow Forums, much less /wdg/ if you think that

hey if you like it more power to you, I just couldn't do something like that, but I might if I find no other option

Anyone have any good sources for design templates for multi-select buttons?
I'm doing a thing where you can register this burger with various ingredients.

The format is like
Bun
[Normal] [Seed] [Wheat]
Meat
[Beef] [Chicken] [Vegan]

etc for the rest of the ingredients.

The functionality is there, just need some ideas on the best way to implement this without looking like shit.

check how delivery companies that work directly with Mc Donalds do it, or check how BK does it, etc.

Have you taken the mongopill?

Attached: 12412142.png (1756x477, 37K)

How come Mongo still exists and seems to do perfectly fine, when 99% of posts are memeing about Postgres and how there is no use case for Mongo ever?

Hey, I'm a complete beginner and just wanted to share what I've learned this morning. I don't want to tell any of my friends in case I don't follow through and create the website that I'm trying to make. Here's what I just did. I'm just really excited and wanted to share.

Thanks for listening Jow Forums

Attached: 2019-03-12-113953_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 557K)

Because truth be told if you aren't making a DB for a huge fucking company there is really no difference if you use Mongo, Firebase, SQL etc.

Attached: 131342535.jpg (1106x1012, 70K)

Does your example web scale?

You have a long way to go, but good job.

>yasir
Pajeet, My son.

How much were you making freelance user? I'm looking into getting into WP as well.

Started out at about 30€/h, currently bill most of my old clients 55€/h, and for new clients ~70€/h.

If for some reason I think the client won't pay those prices (i.e. small/poor client), or the job that is asked would be more of a favor than work, I sometimes agree to a fixed pricing that is decided on a case-by-case basis.
Those have ranged from a free coffee for life at a local café (which just a while ago went bankrupt, lol) to 100-500€ WP sites for some friend-of-a-friend.

do your keyboards have the euro sign where we have the dollar sign? shift+4?

Use acf, create a clone field for single line input, and text area. These clones will contain all languages for the input

Use this clone field wherever you have dynamic content. Require content entry person to supply all fields.

Use a cookie on the front. Set cookie if language change.

On back, create helper function to check for cookie, if exists and language is one of the languages supplied in acf variations, output that.

I have no idea what this does for seo. Probably fucks it up.

Nice.
How'd you get started?
So far my general plan goes like this:
>make resume website
>reach out to small business owners via Facebook, next door, LinkedIn, etc.
>design ~5 sites free of charge to build a portfolio
>start charging clients after that

No. It's [alt gr] + E.
$ is [alt gr] + 4
[shift] + 4 is ¤

what is a gr key?

When in your daily life do you use ¤

Whats a fast project i can add to my resume just so i can have something there? A landing page?

Attached: 367373467.jpg (477x477, 41K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key

I used Polylang for this. It's a bitch to set up and not intuitive at all, but it was the best option available.

I am using electron-builder to package a simple electron app into a portable windows app, however the startup time is now very slow (25s vs like 7s for the unpacked version. Is there a way to make this faster?

>uses electron
>wonders why the shit is slow
almost had me

Can't remember my very first job. Most likely my relative or friend heard their friend talk about how they need a website, and put them in touch with me or the other way around. I've gotten a whole bunch of offers that way. Even though I don't really advertise myself, my friends know that if someone needs a website, they can come to me.

I've gotten a bunch of organizations as my clients that way too.
Just through the grapevine.

I didn't even have a resume per-say for the _longest_ time. Just a few months ago made one, and updated my CV, too. I just told the clients if I could or could not do something they wanted, and that's been enough.

But I do definitely recommend having a portfolio. Be it client's projects or your personal ones that you display in it. Even fake companies websites, mockups, variations of existing websites, etc go a long way to show off your skills.

Doing 5 sites for free first can be a chore, but if you can do it, then sure, why not.
I personally wouldn't do 5 projects for free just to put together a resume, unless they were very small projects. I'd rather work on some of my own projects that I then displayed.

follow a tutorial on something and just follow along

>what is a gr key?
Don't know
>When in your daily life do you use ¤
Probably literally only once, which was just a few months ago, when I googled what that symbol meant.

Is it possible to host multiple projects on one WordPress server or is there a different service you would recommend?
How would I go about doing that?

>WordPress server
Not sure what you mean by that.
If you meant
>Is it possible to host multiple WordPress instances on one server
Then yes. It doesn't even require any special steps, afaik. Just place the WP files in some directory, and at installation time you set a unique db prefix for that instance. So instead of "wp_" it'd be like "site1_wp_" or something.

If you meant something different, then explain what you mean.

No, that's what I meant. Thanks for the explanation.

>$ is [alt gr] + 4
>[shift] + 4 is ¤
Don't think I have seen that before.
Which countries keyboard layout is that?

I'm trying to get a list of all checked checkboxes of the same class in jQuery. I'm using this line:
let x = $('.someClass:checkbox:checked')

But it returns w.fn.init[prevObject...] no matter how many boxes are checked.
Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

stackoverflow.com/questions/5450104/using-jquery-to-get-all-checked-checkboxes-with-a-certain-class-name

This is the exact thread I'm following and based on the top answer it is not working.
Why not?

post jsfiddle

jsfiddle.net/qm57cokg/2/

chegg this, see if it works for you:

$("input:checkbox:checked").each(
function() {
alert("El checkbox con valor " + $(this).val() + " está seleccionado");
}
);

So, I need to implement a form where the user adds his email, and then send an email to him with an attached PDF file.
How do I do that? I'm a webdev retard, I've been googling around but I can't find an automated solution which allows me to attach the PDF file

fi_FI
(yes I'm ashamed)

You can accomplish this with a Python script. Will write it for you for a small price of $1,000

perkele

$500? what do you need $100 for?

fin sucks
t:

I'm loving the idea of the project I'm working on. Only thing that's bothering me right now is making it in React. React reminds me of CSS. I fucking hate it, so I never learn it after using it, always have to relearn it as I go.

Anyway, the logo I have, I'll need to replace before production, as I basically stole it from one of those websites that says "Free logos", until you make it, then they want you to buy it. How in the world do you get started making logos? It can't possibly be complicated.

Notice how these questions always come together with jQuery in tow?
All these 'how do I get x', 'how do I select y'.
It's always jQuery and never someone being stuck using document.querySelectorAll

fucking Jay Querry

>How in the world do you get started making logos?
Illustrator
>It can't possibly be complicated.
Shows how ignorant you are. It's an art form.
Anyone can stick their finger in a paintcan and smear it on paper. That doesn't mean painting a masterpiece "cant possibly be complicated".

The tools are available to anyone (at least through piracy), and the ideas behind it aren't complex.
Doing the whole process in a way that your end result doesn't make it seem like you're a mentally handicapped 5-year-old takes effort and time.

>Illustrator
GIMP is fine too

It really isn't

>React reminds me of CSS
How did you end up doing webdev stuff when you hate React and hate CSS?
What specifically do you hate about it and what do you think would improve it?

Attached: 1501799952339.png (307x462, 11K)

jsfiddle.net/8dnef45v/

you'll still have to make a for each loop to get the number of checked elements, then fill a variable with the number of the checked elements, then create a new array with said number as total positions of the array, then fill the array with the function I gave you and for displaying the array seek for a better method, .toString() seems to work just fine, in fact I updated my example to just that

amateur detected

jsfiddle.net/dr0peykh/

just teach me how to do it please, I'm a brainlet

I see... then you don't need the count either

jsfiddle.net/5qe1ycLj/

why don't arrow functions work here?
$(document).ready(() => {
let arr = new Array(3),
count = 0;
$(".mySubmit").click(() => {
$('.myCheckbox:checked').each(
() => {
arr[++count] = $(this).val();
});
alert(arr.toString());
});
});

I'm trying to call pic related but I don't know what it's looking for as parameters/payload etc.
tournament[name] for example. What is it looking for here? A map with a value for "name"? An array? What does the tournament[] mean?

Attached: api params.png (1088x300, 48K)

holy shit you again? this thing was already answer last time

bro

Sorry I didn't see!

I apologize. I'm sure a lot of it is hard, but not what I have in mind. At least it shouldn't be.
Been in webdev for years. Probably the past year or so I've gotten repulsed by the frontend. I don't really see anything wrong with React, or CSS, just don't like using them.

>What is it looking for here? A map with a value for "name"? An array? What does the tournament[] mean?
try each one of those and see which one works.

why jQuery though?
jsfiddle.net/4wv9hqt3/

this, how many times has this been posted now over recent weeks?
4th time?
Every time people gave detailed explanations, almost spoonfeeding the answer.

This. What does GraphQL solves that isn't solve by a normal RESTful api?

>jsfiddle.net/4wv9hqt3/
based

why don't you put semicolons on statements?

so you just put an array on an alert and it displays the content, mind = blown

just personal preference

stop

no :^)

don't modern js tools alert that's bad practice and throw some errors/warnings?

This is how I'd do it.
jsfiddle.net/me19nwor/1/

This is pretty much how I'd do it if I wrote ES6, and didn't support IE10

>This is how I'd do it.
doesn't work though

That's what I get for being hungover.
Fixed: jsfiddle.net/mfhrt6ej/
Forgot ':checked'

You mean your linter?
Imo it's just like the debate of spaces vs tabs. Fairly pointless.
Even for the very rare cases, where you start a new line with ( or [, you either know to look for it or have your linter highlight it right away.
Even then you can just configure your beautifier/prettier to fix anything like that on save automatically and remove/insert extra or missing semicolons to your liking, so it's an absolute unimportant topic imo.

Attached: gj.png (659x270, 6K)

>var d = document;
stop

I've done this on every single project I've worked on for as long as I can remember. I will not stop.

>implying you work on projects that matter.

>implying I don't

just proving my point. thanks

how the FUCK do i host my SQL database on the cloud for testing like i can do with mongoDB or firestore(duh), what the fuck its the year 2019 do i really need to have a running database in the background to actually make a site using SQL

Attached: 1550145546552.png (489x448, 273K)

What's a good way to learn SQL, specifically Postgresql?
I only used Mongo for a really short time like 3 years ago and otherwise always stuck to LevelDB (embedded key/value) for most hobby things I built.

You can use SQLite, it doesn't need a server.

>What's a good way to learn SQL
select books from library

Pls

But it has a different syntax than other packages etc. etc.