What will happen with modern CPUs? I would assume they wouldn't fry like that one AMD CPU

What will happen with modern CPUs? I would assume they wouldn't fry like that one AMD CPU.

youtube.com/watch?v=UoXRHexGIok

I would assume modern CPUs and motherboard have safeguard to prevent the magic smoke.

Attached: AMD Athlon 1400 A1400AMS3B AYHJA 01.jpg (700x705, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkcomputers.org/intels-28-core-cpu-required-an-industrial-chiller-to-achieve-5ghz/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, we have safeguards.
Otherwise without a heatspreader and heatsink, any CPU would burn up like that.

What is AMD's endgame

Attached: Download.jpg (247x204, 9K)

You can try this yourself, and there is basically no risk. CPUs made after that video almost universally support thermal shutdown. Motherboards can be different though. Certain VRMs have little thermal protection and could potentially combust, although that was more of an issue with AM3+ than it is on modern platforms (if you aren't really stupid with your board choice).

AMD has implemented throttle and shutdown for years. They were just extremely late.

I'm not so sure if the safeguards will always kick in fast enough before you cpu is kill

The CPU could be degraded, but thermal shutdown will always kick in before it dies. And before that, you'll notice extreme performance limitations from the throttling algorithms.

They will simply throttle just like that Pentium 4. AMD didn't have any security measures back then.

Dat chiptune...

Sometimes I open this video just to hear that music. Does anyone know what's the song name?

> I'm not so sure if the safeguards will always kick in fast enough before you cpu is kill
Yes, and that was exactly the case in 2000, around that time AMD made some changes to their thermal protection scheme, as I vaguely remember from some PC magazine of that time.

project x for amiga

Attached: 1552111029472.jpg (1280x1382, 704K)

iirc the Palomino was supposed to have thermal protection, so tom's hardware tested it and found that it didn't do anything at all.

That's pretty nice, thanks boomer guy

It will trip Tjunction around 100C and will cause an immediate shutdown. This is why intel needed a industrial refrigerant water chiller for their little OC demo to get past even a short run of cinnabon.

thinkcomputers.org/intels-28-core-cpu-required-an-industrial-chiller-to-achieve-5ghz/

Is this the one where Shill's Hardware intentionally disabled the thermal safeguards?

I still don't know on one system if my i5 2500k cpu fried or my motherboard did , I would assume the cpu since the motherboard still lights up at the cpu light and yet I've never had a cpu die on me ever with how rare that actually is.

That's impossible.

the mobo should shut down the computer when the cpu is at like 80-90°C, while most cpus can work and won't get damaged when they're as hot as 100-110°C

Nothing is impossible in the world of benchmarking, kid. You just lack the conception of the lengths of jewery companies will go to to push their product.

back to Jow Forums with your brainletism

Attached: 1525138426204.jpg (720x736, 94K)

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.