/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1552152927748.png (720x358, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.openstack.org/swift/latest/
github.com/LaserMoai/coleremak.vim/blob/master/readme.md
github.com/LWSS/Skeletux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So I am trying to use multiple image viewers to view archived(zip/rar) images but none of them are displaying the images Am I doing something wrong here or does loonix not have a software capable of viewing archived images like Honeyview/CDisplayEx on Windows?

Occasionally, fa/g/lords will sperg out about which distro is truly superior—usually Arch due to its "minimalism", Debian due to its "stability", Ubuntu due to its "ease of use", et cetera. All more or less incorrect, of course; Arch's kernel has an allyesconfig which is unnecessary bloat and counterarguments its self-proclaimed DIY nature, Debian's main meme is being ancient as all hell, and Ubuntu's everything generally sucks—from apt and its ways of handling dependencies to the varied degrees of bloat you get upon a fresh install. Yes, that includes Server as well for the most part.

In comparison, Fedora is about as fresh as a distro can get. While there is certainly a good amount of pros in comparison to other distros and by itself, these are only a few that are considered integral to its out-of-the-box, comfortable enterprise experience.
>Just werks out of the box
>Systemd is implemented nicely you it doesn't bother me that much like other distros do
>Same for GNOME because GNOME is tied with systemd
>Same for SELinux which is known for making things don't work. Never had this problem on Fedora.
>It is intended to above-medium users(like sysadmins, programmers, powerusers etc.) and not linux newbies(doesn't mean it is hard to use) so it focuses more on polishing the distro and development tools rather than focusing making it "easier to use".
>The userland is 100% free software which is good, the main repo has strict licensing rules so only free software gets there, which is good, but it still has non-free firmware which is also good because not everyone has a libre computer.
>Packages are compiled with hardening options like position-independend-executable which makes Fedora very secure
>Developers are actually either Redhat developers or profesional/advanced community developers and not careless basement autists or retarded SJW trannies that remove packages just because they have the word "boob" in it.

Attached: Fedora-logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 112K)

Best folder to place virtual machines on linux?
i don't want to make a partition for that

Attached: 1406234091456.gif (485x364, 3.89M)

absolutely based and enterprisepilled fedoraposter

Attached: yo buddy.gif (422x214, 2.64M)

> unnecessary bloat
> In comparison, Fedora
Stopped reading there.

/storage/emulated/0

pls respond

none of these mean shit unless you're a gnome/systemd heavy user and even then it's kind of a stretch.

>>Developers are actually either Redhat developers or profesional/advanced community developers
nigga how is this a selling point? i'll stick with the basement autists any day compared to that

>more package splitting
>bloat
pick 1

.xsessionrc?

>I'm using void and for fun I want to try setting up some things like urxvtd as user-managed runit services that start when X does and are stopped when X dies.

that's literally xinit's default behaviour though. I have urxvtd on my xinitrc (dwm session) and and it stops once I exit X.

urxvtd &
exec dwm

that's it.

> package manager written in Python
> not a bloat

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mis-take in your post. Luckily, the users of Jow Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Never heard of it, but it doesn't seem like it'll work

Yeah, it stops them because it's a child process of the X session/window manager. When that process dies, the children are killed.

But I want to try configuring things in a more service-driven way, so that I can have things like shutdown hooks in addition to being able to sv restart foo things.

Getting the service to start when X starts is the easy part, just link the service in xinitrc. But I cant think of any way to stop and unlink the service when X dies

>implying i use this for """"""identification purposes"""""
Step up your tripfagging game.

what you want is mcomix

I have that, it doesn't display archives.

>Just werks out of the box
>can't even watch movies without enabling some extra repos and installing more shit
You are not even trying.

It's literally designed to view archives.

>using proprietary codecs

>not using proprietary codecs

Looks like it can't read the webp formats. Alternatives?

>letting patent trolls cuck her out of her freedom

fuck, posted in the wrong thread. any emacsers here? how can i make major and minor mode names shorter?

Attached: Screenshot_20190313_000725.png (502x78, 22K)

After bit more research, looks like nomacs is the only one that does the archive views of webps.

>implying bloat
The Python part doesn't do much anyway. The part where performance actually matters (rpm) is written in C.

Just installed pihole on my new Mint Desktop and werks ez as pi.

How do you setup a proper stereo->mono output without the loss of audio quality or the volume level?

I've tried the default way of doing it, which was basically doing the setting the pulse config with this setting.

load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=mono master=alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo channels=2 channel_map=mono,mono

But thats just reduces volume by 50% (because stereo->mono loss) and if I try to increase the volume through the sound setting's Amplification option to 150%, the audio quality becomes total trash.

How do I fix this? Windows had the option of using VoiceMeeter for clear 200% volume boost without any perceptible quality loss. I can't even amplify the sound to ~120% without noticeable loss of quality on linux.

Sorry if it's sqt already, but can I upgrade from one release to another on Fedora/Debian like a big Windows update or will I have to make a fresh install everytime?

Attached: 1442778937679.jpg (768x1024, 77K)

Just had to switch back to Windows to see if I wasn't just projecting negative bias towards Linux. I can confirm that audio quality with Voicemeeter mono output is very clear, I can go up to 250% and still hear very clearly without any quality loss.

>Sorry if it's sqt already, but can I upgrade from one release to another on Fedora/Debian like a big Windows update
yes (google dist upgrade)

Attached: 1538212351828.png (813x768, 875K)

docs.openstack.org/swift/latest/
AHHHHHH WHAT THE FUCKKKK

I want a desktop with windows so I can play video games, and a beefy laptop with linux for my work. I already have a thinkpad docking station which connects to a monitor. I have two additional monitors for a desktop. I'm considering having a dual boot on the desktop, and then mounting the laptop's file system onto the desktop's file system so i can work with all 3 monitors when I'm being productive, and play with 2 monitors when I'm video gaming. Is that possible? What hardware would I need to mount the laptop's filesystem onto the desktop?

What are your hot opinions on Kubunto? I used Xubuntu for a year and I enjoyed it, I am getting a stronger computer in a few weeks so I want to know if its demand on the system is higher.

Attached: 1515523420482.gif (400x300, 1.64M)

Attached: rig.png (1626x760, 45K)

I don't think that's gonna work with all 3 monitors, you might need to get an HDMI switch

you mean the desktop won't be able to interact with monitor 3? yeah you're right. i just noticed that. brain fart. that's annoying. now i need to make sure my thinkpad dock even supports hdmi. it's old as hell.

Sounds like a mess. Why not have your files hosted on the cloud/NFS/external drive, then access them from whatever device you're using?

set up a ssh server on the laptop and client on the desktop

Have you considered simply screensharing monitor 3 from your laptop?

you're right i'm making it more complicated than it needs to be. I'll just hook ubuntu on the windows machine in to the laptop with nfs and use all 3 monitors with the desktop

>windows

Just installed Manjaro for the first time, and already worked through some issues with my mouse and headset, but I'm still having an issue with my volume controls on the headset. When I try to increase the volume there, it doesn't change the headset's volume, it changes my speakers' audio levels. I figure it's changing the "default" device's volume, but looking around in pavucontrol and alsamixer, I don't see anywhere to set a default device (other than "set as fallback" in pavucontrol, but the volume controls still go to the speakers).

Anyone know anything about this?

I need a lightweight distro to run in a VM that won't give me shit about trying to use a more recent version of emacs (i.e. no Debian/Ubuntu). This is basically a one off thing but I don't want to spend any time configuring a goofy VM for a short trip, other than I do most of my work inside emacs and need 25.6 at least for my config to work and *buntu doesnt want to play ball without jumping through hoops.

Alpine

Can I have / on a btrfs subvolume without confusing grub? I've been bashing my keyboard on this for the past hour.

Other than the Alpine already mentioned, you could use an AppImage or nix/guix to install emacs, it also basically won't affect the debian part of your system.

I'm trying to get mad sysadmin skills and i have a question about permission in Linux, which permission should i use in my /var/www/html/WEBS directory?

solved:
>single btrfs mbr partition
>make separate / and /home subvolumes
>chroot: grub-install, update-grub, update-initramfs
>reboot

>/var/www/html
What decade are you in?

I'm just learning using my Debian VPS, what do you recommend user?

Huh, just installed Ubuntu and shit just works.

Gay ass beaver though.

Attached: Steam-Linux.jpg (650x446, 32K)

So I'm making the switch from vim/atom to evil mode emacs and one thing that bothers me is that the default number of spaces that TAB indents in C syntax is 2; is there any way I can change this setting anywhere?

Other thing I'd like is that whenever I startup emacs with no arguments, I'd like a cheatsheet I made to pop up on the startup page instead of just the scratch buffer; how can I achieve this?

Many thanks in advance!

>>/var/www/html
>What decade are you in?
Isn't that Apache web server? Apache is still pretty relevant this decade

Okay so I've taken the gen-pill and started installing, I've gotten this far and it's been stuck on "Emerging (2 of 4) for about 20 minutes now, is it stuck or is it supposed to take this long?

Attached: wtfgentoo.png (1031x139, 6K)

Just go with whatever the manual/configuration says.

LAMP is old school now

Yes, compile times are long.

yes okay, nvm it started chugging along again, it said there was a tiny jew gnome in the system that had to be removed, that was the error

I got a T60 today and installed Debian 9.0 on it, volume keys aren't being recognized using i3. What do?

Attached: background.jpg (640x480, 91K)

Just search the web, you can usually find answers to stuff like that pretty easily.
I'm going to guess that most people who use emacs don't learn all the ins and outs of all the available options and bindings, and probably just learn only what they need to do what they need.

how do you load vim plugins? ive googled and tried to figure it out on my own
i installed this colemak plugin github.com/LaserMoai/coleremak.vim/blob/master/readme.md
then i appended a direct path in my .vimrc to this .vim file with set runtimepath=/home/user/somewhere/name.vim
when i open gvim i dont see colemak in the keymap area and my keymap clearly is still qwerty (aka i or L on colemak is insert where i deally it would be u which is physically where i was on qwerty)

it really is cozy, absolutely everything will JEST werk up until you start trying to fuck around with proprietary things which i find rarely actually fucks anything up more than it fucks with my autism enough to want to reinstall

I installed st through rpm. Where can I find the config file for it?

i installed vim-plug, followed the directions and then switched to a different colemak plugin because apparently the one the very "vim-colemak" github page that im now using recommended i use that newer one but that one simply doesn't work in vim i guess. whatever, problem solved

use vundle or pathogen

are there antiviruses for linux? if so, are they trustworthy? do they work? i download a large amount of data from torrent sites so i was mostly looking for a way to analize files.

But there are always random bugs for some reason, every install just breaks a small little part of the system. Or at least thats my experience so far.

im trying to compile something and it gives me an error

fatal error: v8.h: No such file or directory
#include
^~~~~~

how do i fix this

>v8.h: No such file or directory
wow maybe try to find out where that file went

i think its a dependency not a file i tried installing like 6 dependencies called v8,libv8,pyv8

There are, but you rarely ever even hear about people running them. I think there was one called "clam" or something.
But really, AV's are pretty pointless on GNU/Linux. The odds of any of your _root_ files being infected are beyond remote (as long as you don't do anything stupid like run a web browser as the root user).

I could go on and on about how much more secure GNU/Linux inherently is than windows, but you can read about that online yourself.
On top of all that though another interesting thing to think about it that you're almost guaranteed to notice your machine behaving strangely. Because unlike on windows my GNU/Linux installs have always behaved like well oiled machines. I never even get so much as a hiccup in resource usage or network activity without knowing exactly what caused it. It's all extremely predictable, unlike on windows where random dips in speed and constant network activity is the norm.

Honestly, it's so rare that if you do get infected you'll be the talk of the GNU/Linux news circles for months (even though the infection probably got patched the very next day and nobody else got infected)
Anyway, that's just some anecdotal reasons why I think most of us don't care to run AV's. It's really just not a concern.

that's a C header file

>GPL3, not GPL2
noob

oh i didnt know so how do i fix it i read something about adding something in cmakeliststxt but its too much work idk

Also adding to this, just don't run any executables you download from torrents and that's basically all you need to do to stay safe.
There used to be an old joke about this, that there were known viruses for GNU/Linux but you'd have to download their source, compile them, apply the executable flag, and run it to get infected.

And I think that is actually kind of relevant to you. Anything you download through torrents (even if you did somehow get a GNU/Linux-specific virus) won't even be allowed to execute unless you manually run "chmod +x" on it.
And any software you're running media files through are owned by root, but run as your non-privileged user), so they don't even have permission to modify themselves.

TL;DR Just don't run any random downloaded executables and you're safe.

what are you trying to compile? That file should have come with the source code

github.com/LWSS/Skeletux

>In addition to the standard C++ packages you probably have, you'll need the v8-development package

Do you have this?

lel sudo apt-get install libv8-dev help me xd thanks maybe next time i should read xdd

I need a '9x15' font to play TomeNET. Anyone knows what package I need to emerge to get it? I've been trying to look for it for an hour now.

I use gentoo

GLAMP*

Talk me out of distro hopping from debian to fedora pls anons

I decided to give Sway another try, since it's finally at version 1.0 and I have a question.

How do I disable the tabbing functionality?
I want each window to spawn it's own container and act as a normal tiling WM.
What should I add to the config?

Also, keyboard daemon is pretty bad.
I'm trying to launch my Conky script by pressing "Mod4 + d", but instead it just deletes whatever is in my text editor at the time ('d' is for deletion in Kakoune)

get rid of wayland and sway and use fluxbox

>get rid of wayland and sway and use fluxbox
I am pretty comfortable with bspwm already.
But want to try the Wayland meme.

Switched to firefox
Randomly scrolling stops working and the browser locks up, if i click another tab the window title changes but the window stays on the non loading screen. It can take a few minutes before it comes back. I have to xkill it and then pkill the zombies left behind.
Why is this happening?

With minor modes, you can use the diminish (or delight) package to change the minor mode name, or hide it all-together

Do you strip all your binaries?

>installed Manjaro for the first time

Attached: lmao.jpg (369x366, 24K)

>one thing that bothers me is that the default number of spaces that TAB indents in C syntax is 2; is there any way I can change this setting anywhere?
Indentation (along with commenting) in Emacs is both really neat and too fucking complicated.

(setq-default standard-indent 8) ; sets the default standard indentation size for all modes
(setq-default tab-width 8) ; sets the default size of the TAB character

(setq c-basic-offset tab-width) ; sets the basic indentation size for C
(setf (alist-get 'other c-default-style) "k&r") ; change default indent style to k&r (see `c-style-alist' for other styles)

>Other thing I'd like is that whenever I startup emacs with no arguments, I'd like a cheatsheet I made to pop up on the startup page instead of just the scratch buffer; how can I achieve this?
You could look at the `command-line-args' variable to start with.

(add-hook 'emacs-startup-hook
(lambda ()
(when (= (length command-line-args) 1) ; "emacs" itself is 1 argument
;; do your stuff here
)))

Is there a reverse image search, but locally from some database of images you create? Maybe a simple web gui to search it?

findimagedupes finds visually similar (adjustable) images on your drive.

I've attempted to use that in the past, but it was never accurate.It would mark things the same, but they were nothing alike, or it would want to delete 10+ images that are completely different, like some had black backgrounds some were the sky and grass, others were memes
It is not very good

I like it. Try making the fuzz factor more strict (read the manual).

I would rather prefer some front end to some program Instead of having to manually go to folder paths instead of just having one db config that spans them all

I've been trying to install icecat but this is what happens when i try tp configure it. Any suggestions?

Attached: termina.png (654x467, 282K)

Is it really meant to be run from the js/src/ subdirectory?

When I try to run ./configure from the main directory, it just returns "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory"

why do we get this same post every week

About once a day my sound card output disappears from the list of outputs meaning I can't control the volume of that output anymore, the output still works though as applications that are already using that output can still continue to do so. Restarting or plugging the headphones out and back in solves the issue and the output shows again. Any ideas?