Why aren't you using sfml and c++ Jow Forums?

why aren't you using sfml and c++ Jow Forums?

Attached: 1200px-SFML2.svg.png (1200x406, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unity3d.com/what-is-a-game-engine
gamecareerguide.com/features/529/what_is_a_game.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because I use SDL

i tried but I genuinely couldn't make a 2d space game with quasi-real physics so i stopped ;_;

trying to make my own engine in C++ also SDL is so much nicer.

Both are garbage. If you're going to make your own engine, you may as well go from the ground up: use OpenGL (or Vulkan if you're feeling suicidal) + Portaudio

they are not garbage stop being such an elitist faggot or atleast make an argument instead of baseless claims.

>If you're going to make your own engine
Just because you don't use an engine doesn't mean you're making one, look up what game engine means.

because sdl / glfw exist and aren't bloat like sfml and allow opengl/vulkan. for audio, sdl_mixer or libsoundio are great options.

I'm not trying to say I'm better than you. I'm saying doing it all yourself is a better choice. It's a better choice because you'll learn more, have more flexibility in your potential feature set, and potentially get better performance if you employ unusual features
In using a framework you are de-facto making your own engine. I'm suggesting using a lower level framework for that creation process

cuz i'm using C# + unity

Attached: ddddab.jpg (630x630, 61K)

You're clearly oblivious to the meaning of the word, a game engine is something you use to make games, you don't have to use a full blown engine just to make a simple game when a simple text editor is enough.

No need to i have Sdl

Nope, you're not using that term properly. You're thinking of an editor, not an engine. A game engine is a set of systems which controls the behavior of your interactive game. An editor is the front-end GUI which you see in Unity/Unreal/Godot which is used to design levels outside of code. The two are not synonymous.

unity3d.com/what-is-a-game-engine
These guys agree with me.

That is an accurate but incomplete picture of what a game engine is, due to the nature of an intro blogpost designed to relate simple terms to beginners and allow them to get a general feel for the terrain.

You're free to believe whatever you want but just remember me when you get laughed at out there for being wrong.

I'm actually in the industry right now, ya dip. I was trying to help you get your terms right

Nobody's gonna believe your lies.

>trying to cover for the fact that you're a newbie who wanted to feel smart and correct someone without knowing what you're talking about
You couldn't just admit that you're wrong? You have to save face in front of this anonymous image board?

Keep replying loser, the irony is hilarious.

Oh and by the way, I'm still waiting for you to point to someone who agrees with your retarded definition.

I actually did use it to make a little 2D game engine. I learned a lot. I prefer SFML to SDL

Attached: flanders_aok.jpg (257x196, 8K)

i agree with him. you are a fucking tard if you think that a "game engine" means "a shiny GUI editor"
t. games programmer

Hi, his right you know
>inb4 samefag
I'm not but whatever

I can keep posting links if you want me to, why don't you guys try posting just one?

Because I'm writing my own framework on top of SDL

Always hated learning and using others' frameworks that tell me what to do and how to do it.

gamecareerguide.com/features/529/what_is_a_game.php
Unity devs would have a different opinion of what a game engine is to someone who wrote a game engine in c++ and openGL. Unity is a game engine but is also a complete package for developer, which is an integral part of what some modern game engine is. But there's plenty of engines that are simple frameworks that require additional code to program the game.

I can make a simple number guessing game using nothing but a text editor and the libc, are you going to start calling them a game engine too?

No clipping and masking support. I would use it if it supported it.

No retard, you programmed a game. If you wrote a framework that handles 2d rendering and audio, and properly abstract it, that would be an engine

That's exactly my point, the brainlets populating /agdg/ seem to go through their entire lives believing that every game has an engine underneath it, an engine is ultimately just reusable code and you can absolutely choose to not use any of them for your game.

Close but getting there. A game engine is the underlying system that handles the execution of the game. So if a game is being written, like in your example, where game implementation is closely tied to the underlying systems, it's impossible to properly encapsulate the two as separate distinct set of systems. In that case, the game and game engine are the same. A game engine does not have to be reusable. If I were to write a game engine that is poorly documented and difficult to implement for making it impossible to reuse that'd still a game engine.

Like I said before, you're free to come up with new meanings for existing words but you're gonna have to convince like minded idiots to fall for your retardation before you try to present it to the general public.

>A game engine does not have to be reusable.
Read this again and realize just how retarded you sound.