Is getting a dev job really this cutthroat?

is getting a dev job really this cutthroat?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-12 Rejected us.png (600x194, 15K)

no

since Homebrew is the slowest package manager ever created and has gotten more useless over the years (because Max finds dependency trees too confusing), Google really dodged a bullet by rejecting his stupid ass

>Invert a binary tree
What does this even mean?

Nothing, it isn't possible.

>binary tree
What does this even mean?

holy shit....

Attached: mp,550x550,gloss,ffffff,t.3u2.jpg (550x549, 39K)

Attached: binary+Search+Tree+in+Java[1].png (1520x922, 27K)

Don't bully me ;_;
If it is just switching the order then what is even the point of that? Aren't the "sides" of the tree just an abstraction anyway like wouldn't you just change how you traverse the tree?

this guy is a brainlet "self taught" meme who thinks he's special because of his little widget shit. what a fag

>The absolute state of applel

inverting a binary tree means the root remains the the same but every single sub tree member is swapped.

What you retard face are thinking of is to reflect the tree along the vertical plane, not invert. Inverting a tree means it's root is now its tip, which makes no sense in the context of a binary search tree.

That is not the correct use of the word invert.

Every node has 2 leaves. You traverse the tree sequentially, one node at a time, based on some logic. One way would be NLR (node left right): you go to a node, then left, then right. If the next leaf you land on is also a node (meaning, it has its own 2 leaves), you repeat until you get to a node with no leaves (the stopping condition). That node should then have some data that you were looking for.

>not implementing bugs as new "features" into your software if this happens

no shit. but that's why it was an interview question. if you autistically say no its not possible you fail the interview. the correct answer is to prod for more information and implement it. there is very little case to even have to do this in the real world, its purely a interviewing construct.

Seems useful. Made up algorithm that isn't used except in interviews. A thought worth having I'd say.

Attached: inverted_tree.png (649x780, 75K)

>function invert (node)
>if (!node) return
>swap (node.left, node.right)
>invert (node.left)
>invert (node.right)
Must have been a sorry ass excuse for a programmer if he couldn't solve that off the top of his head.

thank you for this user you are a good person

Attached: pup.jpg (313x313, 28K)

Inverting a binary tree is easy. Honestly if you can't do that you've proven that you're incapable.

Everyone can code, but only very few people can code decently.

t. sysadmin that lost count on bad codes bogging down performance

kek

>Something something belittling people about kode
>T. Sysadmin

Literally every single time.

Brainlet filters for 100, Alex.

I worked at Google. Nobody fucking uses Homebrew. Development is done in a Linux environment. You get a Linux desktop and a laptop with Linux, Mac, or Windows (your choice). Development is done on the desktop. You can also use tools (web-based or otherwise) to manage your desktop dev environment remotely.

Also it's not as cuttthroat as it seems. If a company says it hires the top 10% of devs, they're only hiring the top 10% of their applicants. The "bottom" 50-80% are people who apply to every company and don't get into any of them because they're bad at programming or cannot communicate clearly. Really they're hiring the "top" 40-50% of developers who interview for fewer positions.
But a lot of it is based on how good of a "match" you are. Google is pretty light on language-specific requirements, but they have an algorithms-heavy interview. Some startup may want you to know the ins-and-outs of Ruby or Node.js but have simpler questions to solve. Some other company might give you a challenge and say you have one hour/day/weekend to solve this and it must compile and run.

Don't you mean every node has tso children? I thought leaves where external nodes

>Don't you mean every node has tso children
While Ted Tso does work at Google, they haven't named any data structures after him AFAIK

Attached: invert-binary-tree.png (550x550, 51K)

Apple fanboys believe than Google software engineer develop all software in macbooks pro.

A lot of devs have Macbooks at work (probably 75%) but as I mentioned, they still do development with the Linux environment. I honestly don't know how anyone (except maybe the iOS division? never interacted with anybody from there) would even use Homebrew if they wanted to.
I almost considered switching my work laptop to a Macbook while I was there because my Linux laptop ("Goobuntu" on an HP machine) kept disconnecting from the wifi. I got them to get me a Thinkpad instead for the hardware refresh but I quit before I received it.

invert(btree){
if(btree == null)
return;

tmp = btree -> child1
btree -> child1 = btree -> child2
btree -> child2 = tmp

inverse(btree -> child1)
inverse(btree -> child2)
}

Imageine being too stupid for this

Inverting a binary tree isn't really that hard though under 20 lines of code

This is what I think of everyone who claims whiteboard questions are too hard.

Realistically is there any use to inverting the tree? Like wouldn't it just be easier to change the traversal logic or write a second method for traversing in reverse?

It's a basic question, maybe they'll build on it, with something like "Invert the binary tree except in condition," maybe they just want to spend 5 minutes making sure you know how to program before asking a tougher question.

1. no
2. yes

now do it in polynomial time

it already runs in O(n)

Now do it in quadratic time

Lol so mirror the tree.

Attached: 1551987351105.jpg (960x960, 78K)

If you can reverse a binary tree in n^2 I would be more impressed than if you did it in n. Please show your solution retard

Imagine not being able to figure that out lol

should have had a vagina, or at least a neo-vagina.

>is getting a dev job really this cutthroat?
Developers in the united states earn upwards of 200k a year. They pay this much not because the job is hard (the majority of developers write queue workers that speak with databases. This job is not hard at all). They pay this much because the developers who get paid that amount are brilliant and talented. They'll write useful, efficient, and fast code
This is why they don't outsource their business to India, even if India is incredibly cheap source of labor, they write literal pajeet tier poo

Really, if you spent half a year brushing up on your basics. You should be able to solve the mass majority of interview questions with fast performance
See

>recursively call function TWICE
>O(n)
Haha. I didn't know there were RETARDS on Jow Forums

for n nodes in the tree the algorithm calls n times. Do you even know what big-O notation means?

No, it's just that some people have no idea how to interview.

I've been in this situation before. Experienced dev that generally interviews well, but I go to an interview and the interviewer wants me to do some stupid whiteboarding/coding exercise about an academic topic I haven't cared about since I was in uni.

It makes sense to interview fresh graduates like that because they don't have any industry experience you can talk about. But for an experienced dev it's completely pointless.

No big deal because only a minority of companies interview like this, so I've never had a problem getting a job. But frankly those companies are missing out on talent.

Rejected for recursion instead of iteration.

>iterating a tree
nigger what

>This is why they don't outsource their business to India

Am I being trolled right now?

Attached: 1483911061266.gif (320x213, 1.3M)

Google actually tells you what's on the interview ahead of time so you can review it. I wasn't the biggest fan of working there after awhile but their interview process is fair.

I thought I was the only Googler (or Xoogler) here. Like you said, no one uses homebrew. I use a mac laptop for development, but nothing is done locally on the mac, it's all done through ssh or web interfaces (yeah I'm a ciderfag). Also it's called gLinux now.

WRONG. Actually read the algorithm. The algorithm is 2^n where n is the DEPTH of the tree
It's almost like you don't know algorithm analysis. Don't call us, we'll call you

n can be whatever you like, that's one mistake people make when doing big-O analysis. Saying it's O(n) in the number of nodes is valid.

>Invert a binary tree
Not even hard, he sounds like a code monkey.

But if what Max said is true, and they use Homebrew despite its flaws, Max is a good fit.

so if i memorize this i'm gonna be smart as fuck??

n is the size of the input.

I quit at the end of 2017. I used cider too, I used vim for awhile but having consistent tools with my coworkers and integration with that search tool whose name I've now forgotten proved to be useful. gLinux, not sure if that's a worse name than Gubuntu or not...

You expect me to magically invert a tree without going through all nodes? Show me that algorithm cuckboy

They don't. I honestly would not know what homebrew was if that guy didn't whine about not getting through an interview, and I worked there three years.

the size of the input === the number of nodes

Wtf I love functional programming now

Holy shit y’all are fucking retarded it’s O(log_2 n) now gas yallselvez

No they don’t you fucking ape. You walk into a whiteboard room where two overweight minority women greet you like you’re fucking retarded because you’re a male. I quit my job at google two weeks ago. The place is a shit show of liberal pussies and minorities who can’t do shit for themselves.

I dunno man they emailed me a bunch of shit ahead of time on what to expect from the interview, including what algorithms and data structures they'd likely cover, and youtube videos of people demoing whiteboard problems explained in a way that a five year old could understand.
I got bored of working there because it was very bureaucratic, but everyone was very friendly to me. Your experience doesn't match mine at all, but the company is gigantic so who knows?

kyle?

bruce?

What a retard. Even moot can invert a binary tree.

>so fuck off
This is one thing I hate about the industry - it attracts and feeds on the most mentally immature of of our society's adults. This pic shows that.

Can this run out of stack?

developers at Google use Macs? Lulz. I always thought developers who used Macs were nothing but glorified web developers.

If you have a tree with the depth that measures in millions you have bigger problems than running out of stack.

that's not even functional. It's C without writing data types

I can't imagine being this retarded

They do. Even though they have a linux workstation, most of the time they are just sshing into it from their laptop.

>have to manually unfuck permissions for homebrew to work for more than one user on a machine
nah

most retarded post on Jow Forums right now

Attached: 1542332461878.png (310x315, 382K)

>using recursive functions in a binary tree of unkown depth

Attached: 1552205237121s.jpg (85x125, 2K)

Why?

This is the only correct answer so far. Everybody else will have to go work at Google with the other mediocre programmers.

Google here. Nobody uses that shitshow of a mess that is Homebrew. On gMacs we have our own package deployer and for some purposes we use Puppet.

For everyone out there trying to get a job, don't let this shit discourage you. If you even know what a binary tree is, you're ahead of half the applicants. If you can sit down in one day, research and write some working code to traverse a binary tree, you're ahead of 75% of applicants.

I've had places call me to schedule an interview, describe the interview process, then act indignant after I politely decline. Within a week or two, they are calling me back to see if I'm interested in starting right away. I'm not a code wizard, just average.

>not knowing how to save pictures at the proper resolution

>recursive solution
>not inverting the null tree

array implementation for iter fags

def invert_tree(tree):
m = len(tree)//2
print(m)
for i in range(1, m):
l = 2*i-1
r = 2*i
temp = tree[l]
tree[l] = tree[r]
tree[r] = temp
return tree

tree = [16, 14, 10, 8, 7, 9, 3, 2, 4, 1, None, None, None, None, None]
print(tree)
tree = invert_tree(tree)
print(tree)

don't run this code, it makes mustard gas

Since when do macOS fags care about speed anyway

>I thought I was the only Googler (or Xoogler) here.

You thought you were the only former employee of one of the largest employer of programmers, on a programming board?

Just for another POV: I work at Amazon. Your daily driver can be a windows, Ubuntu, or apple laptop but you actually build on a cloud desktop. One of the things I wish they would have pointed out at Uni is how vastly different the development environment is at an enterprise level versus what you going to be doing for school projects.

Is there any hope for a non-Comp Sci grad to get a job at Google/Amazon/other FAANG?

Graduated with a degree in chem eng about a year ago and have been working in test automation for a large North American bank.

I'm still not sure why homebrew even is a thing when MacPorts and Fink are better and older than homebrew by 10+ years

sure, if you interview well I can't see it holding you back. your only real hurdle would be getting a response in the first place.

Yeah, that’s what I’m worries about. I’ll have 1 year work experience with Selenium, Java; a few software packages ive published (with downloads); and research experience in biomedical engineering using Python for data processing.

>thinking most of the people on this board will be hired by anyone at all, let alone by Google
user, I...

Yes.

It’s like bags of sand.

So I guess there's no point in learning code myself if I don't end up in let's say the top 30%?
Everything is so specialized these days, is there any way to get a job being a generalist where you're a jack of all trades and a master of none type deal? I don't mean a generalist in just in development either.

hello, undergrad