Third Party Chipsets

What happened to them? Back in the LGA775 days you could get a VIA/nVidia/ATi/etc. chipsets for your Intel processor. Now, if you buy Intel/AMD, you have to use the chipsets that they make. Intel I can understand, given their shady business tactics (nVidia was forced to stop making chipsets for Intel processors after Intel sued them), and the fact that Intel was trying to integrate the northbridge into the CPU. But AMD? There were alot of third party chipsets for their Phenom and Athlon lines, and now they too have the monopoly on chipsets for their processors.

Attached: nvidia-nforce.jpg (337x252, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/end-of-the-line-for-nvidia-chipsets-and-thats-official/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably not enough money to be made. AMD has pretty well segmented the market and you can get low end boards for like $70. Same with Intel. I think some boards still have third party silicon for adding SATA ports though

isn't the x86 license for the cpus bullshit, not sure how that works, it's like a duopoly

nforce was shit.
incompatibilites, driver problem and a shit of other staff.
imaging having nvidia into your motherboard... you have to throw your entire PC out the window.

>intel I can understand because AMD's marketing on Jow Forums has brainwashed me but AMD? Why would /ourguys/ do that? I thought they were my friend!

Really makes ya think

Why did they merged the northbridege? Latency?

Begone ESL thot

I see. Then again, I think quality control was a problem as well. My old Mac that used an Intel chipset (945GM) still functions quite well today. Compare that to the stories of nForce chipsets failing.

Shame though, I miss the days of easy and cheap overclocking with third party chipsets, when you did not have to buy an "unlocked" version.

You now remember the ATI/AMD RD600

1) Intel jewed everyone else out of their market and AMD’s share just dwindled
2) integrated controllers for DDR and PCIe made them virtually irrelevant

Nvidia made the best amd chipsets until amd backstabbed them and decided they can do better after the ati buyout.

Imagine a world in which AMD bought NVIDIA, and ATi had to fend on its own. What would it be like?

Who cares they always sucked anyway

Exactly the same except it'd be ATi on top and Nvidia now sucking in the gpu game

intel pulled nvidia's license and made it no one can make chipsets for intel anymore outside intel themselves.

amd, i really don't know. maybe wanting to be a jew like intel.

no, it wouldn't be. nvidia WAS going to merge with amd but amd backed out because nvidia's terms of merging was jen being the ceo of the newly merged company. amd's ceo at the time laughed and walked away. that's when they went to ati, gave them an offer that was way overvalued what ati was worth, and ati's leadership team took the deal laughing and retired.

if jen was able to get nvidia to agree to the deal, history would be different. as amd would be nvidia, rather ati being amd. jen wouldn't have ok'd faildozer, jen would have probably slowed down cpu development and focused on gpu marketshare until they got to the standing they achieved in 2014 with maxwell dominance.

>amd, i really don't know. maybe wanting to be a jew like intel.
AMD is using chipsets made by ASMedia.

Attached: 1374671422199.jpg (341x486, 13K)

yes but they're amd branded chipsets. amd just out-sourced to a third party to make an in house chipset that amd owns and controls that meets amd's specifications.

there's a difference between that and allowing third parties to make on their own free will that they own with features they want that's independent of amd influence. meaning, amd allowing other entities to make their own chipsets that support amd's processors that manufacturers can use that are not controlled or dictated by amd.

for example, back in the day, as i am old enough to remember, the only way to get a motherboard that had SLI support was from using a motherboard that had nvidia's nforce chipset. as nvidia's chipset was the only chipset that supported SLI. same goes with crossfire. you had to get a ATI chipset to run crossfire. then later on ATI licensed crossfire support to intel for intel can use in their chipset. then intel strongman nvidia by pretty much forcing nvidia to hand over SLI support to intel's in house chipset. then intel killed off third party chipset support there after.

zdnet.com/article/end-of-the-line-for-nvidia-chipsets-and-thats-official/

You can thank intel.

>intel pulled nvidia's license and made it no one can make chipsets for intel anymore outside intel themselves.
what's the legal basis for them being able to dictate who can make compatible components? do the patents or whatever not have an expiration date?

nvidia thought it could fuck around and promote their shit by dumbing down ati card

intel and amd revoken their royalties
nvidia went apeshit

kek based

typical intel anti-competition shit
not that i like novideo but damn